sometimes they do listen

Share your McDougall successes here in order to inspire others.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

sometimes they do listen

Postby mapat » Wed Jul 15, 2015 11:30 am

Sometimes they do listen and actually make those changes!! About a month ago I talked with a friend I've known since I was three years old (55 years!) Grew up together, still see each other on occasion but not too often, maybe a couple of times a year. Maybe it was my own weight loss, or lack of pain, or my just generally feeling great, but she asked. Recommended this website--number one in my book!--as well as a couple others. Just got off the phone with her. She has lost 20 lbs in 3 1/2 weeks, knees not being such a problem, less pain, less sinus problems--oh yes, she says--definitely going to stick with this way of eating that is already working in fantastic ways. Yeah!! sometimes they do listen and make the changes needed.

We always did have a bit of 'competition' going on, anything I did she had to try and vice versa, so maybe that helped. This will also be encouraging for a couple others I have been talking with too.Yeah!! makes you feel good to know you really are helping someone else. So keep talking, keep trying, you never know just who might accept that challenge to live a healthier life.
mapat

Re: sometimes they do listen

Postby JaniceYvonne » Wed Jul 15, 2015 4:05 pm

Wow!
JaniceYvonne

Postby Jeepsterhound » Fri Jul 17, 2015 6:22 am

That's great! :)
Jeepsterhound

Postby judynew » Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:02 am

Thanks for that encouraging story. I had lunch with some friends a few days ago and one of them was expressing real concern that all of her friends and relatives are dying off (or seriously ill) far too young. The lunch had been postponed because of one of these deaths in her family. She is probably late 60's and is genuinely worried about losing everyone she cares about. I have the same concern in my own life and I wonder how many "boomers" are having similar experience. It is wonderful to hear that someone listened. Thanks again.
judynew

Postby mapat » Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:47 am

My friend with diabetes is also trying this WOE, but also dealing with other issues right now (again); has lost 6 pounds in the first two weeks, so hopefully she will also stick with it. She has no background in this WOE, but has seen results in me :-D and does not like taking medication, as well as family with health problem. It also helped that I had her here for three whole days to give her a good beginning and some intensive education.
Another friend has been 'working on it', but slowwwly--but has always been interested in this type of eating and always felt she 'should' be doing it.

I think part of what makes it work with these three friends is that, like McDougall, I 'tell it like it is' :eek:
And two of them get regular visits/phone calls/reinforcement and encouragement from me.

Unfortunately none of that seems to work with my immediate family or my grown children. :(

It comes down to: they have to WANT to make changes.
mapat

Postby mapat » Fri Sep 04, 2015 1:51 pm

Quick update. Got a call from this friend who just happened to 'forget' her metformin for those three days she was here. She decided to stay off it. So...after 1 1/2 months on the WOE, she has lost 18 pounds, just had the blood work done and doctor says her numbers are 'excellent' and she no longer needs the diabetes drugs! YEAH!!! :D
mapat

Postby judynew » Fri Sep 04, 2015 3:54 pm

Hurray, for you and for your friend.
judynew

Postby Ltldogg » Fri Sep 04, 2015 4:02 pm

mapat wrote:Quick update. Got a call from this friend who just happened to 'forget' her metformin for those three days she was here. She decided to stay off it. So...after 1 1/2 months on the WOE, she has lost 18 pounds, just had the blood work done and doctor says her numbers are 'excellent' and she no longer needs the diabetes drugs! YEAH!!! :D

Awesome! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

You are a great friend and ambassador for this WOE!
Ltldogg

Postby mapat » Fri Sep 18, 2015 6:42 am

Another update: The friend I've known since I was three stopped by yesterday. She's now lost 30 pounds in the past three months. The best part--this has inspired my daughter, who I live with, to finally decide that she wants to know the details of what to eat or not eat to also lose some weight. Yeah!! Even after watching mom for almost two years now, as well as encouragement from me and some changes in what and how I cook, this is the first time she's indicated that she's 'ready' to actually make the changes and do it for herself.

Keep up the good work everyone--you never know just who you might inspire to change.
mapat

Postby Cupcake » Sat Sep 19, 2015 2:55 pm

Good work, mapat! Thanks for sharing your victories... it inspires me to maybe share with more friends! :-D
Started McDougall Nov. 1, 2014. I've lost weight and reversed my pre-diabetes! Goals include further weight-loss in a sustainable way (no yo-yo-ing), reduced arthritis, reduced CVD risk, & increased energy!

Cupcake

Postby bevan » Sat Oct 31, 2015 1:07 pm

Well it is 6 months...I have found wonderful ways to incorporate delicious food...I look and feel wonderful...I've lost 32 lb in total...slowing down however but who cares!...I can dance circles around people at work 1/2 my age (57)...no more arthritic pain...and a wonderful discovery...my dental hygienist tells me that my last 2 visits (I required every 3 months) have required such minimal scaling that we are going to aim for every 6 months...like most folks do...so as Dr. McDougall says...if the horse's mouth looks good...well the rest must be as well...blood pressure is 117/76...resting heart rate 51...(I do moderate walk every day...weights twice a weeK0///just loving life now...I'm going to do a written star McDougaller... :D Friend of mine who visited me who laments that "but I don't like vegetables)...said she is going to try Starch Solution just because she said..."You look really, really good)...its more than the weight loss...its the spring in my step and the shine in my eyes!
bevan

updates

Postby mapat » Mon Nov 07, 2016 8:19 am

Bevin: yes, since I cut out all dairy three years ago, I haven't had a new cavity since, and cleanings really are much quicker with less plaque build up to scrape away. Last dental visit, one of the assistants and I got into the discussion and she was really, really interested...

Well, the 'formerly diabetic' has been 'cheating' a bit, so has gained back a few pounds; Another weekend at my house hopefully has encouraged her to get back on track. On the plus side, she has also inspired another of her friends to this WOE, as well as inspiring her mother to make changes also.

The friend who has been going slowly, not totally compliant, but has made many healthier changes has over the past two years has so far lost a total of 100 pounds!! and liver numbers have reduced from 'excessively high' to normal. Yeah!

And my daughter is participating in another 'biggest loser' at work. And this time she is (trying to) cut out dairy, and cut down on meats, not totally compliant, but 'trying' and in 3 weeks has lost over 10 pounds, so that is a major encouragement for her to continue these changes.

Still trying to encourage a couple of others. One absolutely refuses to give up her dairy--ice cream and cheese. I think maybe I'll ignore that part for now and see if she might work on giving up the oils? Gotta start somewhere...

Another way is not focusing on those things they refuse to give up, but encouraging them to ADD on and eat more of the complex starches and more veggies and fruits. Hang in there with your friends and family, most people are unlikely to make the total changes overnight, but bit by bit changes can also lead to eventual successes in health improvements.
mapat

Return to Testimonials and Success Stories