Advisable to occasionally skip meals?

Share your McDougall successes here in order to inspire others.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Advisable to occasionally skip meals?

Postby Concerned » Wed Apr 29, 2015 2:41 am

Hi,
If I occasionally feel full when it is almost time for a meal, is it advisable to skip the meal?
I am thinking that
1. Maybe by sometimes skipping meals, I will accustom my body to a lower level of calories and then on a day when I eat my usual meals I will gain weight.
2. Maybe an hour later I will see something I did not plan to eat and , having not eaten, I will be more likely to eat it.
3. On the other hand, maybe occasionally skipping a meal is listening to my body's inner wisdom.
I am trying to lose about 20 lbs, and I have been losing some weight and then falling off the wagon and gaining a little back etc etc etc.
Thanks
Concerned

Re: Advisable to occasionally skip meals?

Postby Katydid » Wed Apr 29, 2015 5:44 am

If you are at a point in your journey where you can tell appetite and desire from true hunger then definitely listen to your body's hunger signals. Eat when you are hungry, don't eat if you aren't. This is an important skill that many people have lost.

Kate
This diet can save your life - it saved mine! Read my story at:
http://www.drmcdougall.com/stars/cathy_stewart.htm
Katydid

Postby roundcoconut » Wed Apr 29, 2015 10:24 am

Well, there's no one right answer for the masses, but there is probably one concept that works best for you, once you discover what that concept is. Let me see if I can shed some light:

First, where did we get this crazy idea of three meals in each day? Most of us lead sedentary lives. We eat fairly substantial portion sizes when we do eat. As a nation, we have a weird notion of the sanctity of meal times (hallowness of breakfast, lunch and dinner) and have many accept the notion of snacks as almost as important to sustain us between meals, and on top of that the endless guzzling of beverages, even apart from snack times. I would say this is one bizarre-o aspect of our out-of-whack food environment -- a tendency toward round-the-clock consumption!

Purely from the standpoint of achieving sanity with food, I think it's equally important to:
A) First and foremost, have a practice of abstaining from certain overly processed, calorie-dense foods.
So, if you happen to be sipping on a "chai latte" (i.e. drinking sugar) between meals, then no, I wouldn't suggest you cut out the meal that you're now no longer hungry for. Your body needs nutrition, and it is the liquid calories that need to be skipped, not the meals. Also, if you happen to be snacking on heavily-processed vegan foods (breads, sweets, soy milk, tofu, whatever), then it would be very devious of your body to say, "Hey, I'm full from those black bean brownies, no need for dinner tonight". My point: your vegetables and starches are the centerpiece of this way of eating, and shouldn't be skipped or skimped on to ever make room for lesser forms of nutrition.

B) Feed yourself on a regular schedule that you decide upon, and stick to, barring extenuating circumstances. When people are engaging in unsustainable diets, they are constantly asking themselves whether they are *truly* hungry, and should they *really* eat lunch today. This is the start of a crappy, adversarial relationship with food. Basically, if it is lunchtime, sit down and eat some lunch. If you are eating vegetables and starches at each meal, then it kinda doesn't matter whether your body will use those nutritional building blocks now, or in two hours. My general point: Just eat your lunch, all of it. If you need to adjust your breakfast portions down at a later date, knock yourself out.

C) Establish times when you will not be taxing the body with food. Even people who eat three meals and two snacks can decide that there is no improvised consumption between today's dinner and tomorrow's breakfast. (The lack of boundaries, I believe, starts you down a different crappy and obsessive relationship with food.) Or, if you decide that your pattern is to eat "lunch, afternoon snack, dinner, evening snack, then start again with lunch the next day", then hold firm to that. The takeaway: Give your body a predictable pattern to follow.

On the occasional extenuating circumstances where you are delayed for so long, that you'd rather skip dinner tonight, and start with an earlier breakfast tomorrow, then go for it. But use your head, and don't fall for the "less is better" approach to eating that gets you off track and into emotionally unhealthy food patterns.

Anyone else, thoughts?
roundcoconut

Postby MINNIE » Fri May 01, 2015 9:53 am

If you're not feeling hungry, no need to eat. I don't bother any more with set "meal times". I pay attention to my actual hunger, and eat when I feel ready.

Some of my meals are big, some are small, but I never force myself either to eat or to go hungry.

Some days I eat a big breakfast and few small snacks later in the day. Some days I eat a lot of small meals all day.

So don't worry too much about this. You will find your own patterns and comfort level.

Peace, love & starch to all !!!
MINNIE

Return to Testimonials and Success Stories