A little tweaking, now weight dropping quickly

Share your McDougall successes here in order to inspire others.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

A little tweaking, now weight dropping quickly

Postby wellnesscoach » Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:38 am

Just wanted to share, I've been back to this WOE since the beginning of March and found that my asthma wasn't getting better and my weight was really fluctuating, as I was having a hard time sticking to the diet completely, craving sugar and breads, etc.

I stopped eating all grass grains-wheat, rice, oats where staples-and within a couple of days, sugar cravings stopped, and my weight started falling easily. Then I ate about 1/4 cup of rice at an indian restaurant 4 days ago, and within 15 min got asthma. Couldn't believe I'm sensitive to rice too. Got back on track, eating now quinoa, buckwheat, beans and potatoes for starch, and the weight is coming off faster, and asthma and sugar cravings gone, and my energy going way up. Wild.

Not sure why so many people are becoming so grain intolerant, but looking back, I can see that I've been intolerant probably most of my life. Just glad there is a solution, and that I can still be plant and starch based.
wellnesscoach

Re: A little tweaking, now weight dropping quickly

Postby LaLune » Thu Apr 30, 2015 12:43 pm

That's interesting. When I tried this diet before (a couple of months ago), I ate a lot of potatoes and I didn't do well. This time, I'm eating a lot of beans and brown rice (my favourite), and I'm doing much better. I think people have different levels of tolerance towards foods, but one can generally find a starch they're good with.
I soak the beans and rice overnight, I think that helps too.
LaLune

Postby Katydid » Fri May 01, 2015 4:30 am

You never know what's going to set the autoimmune system off. My asthma is triggered by dairy and - surprise - when my vitamin D gets too low. My sinus allergies don't like gluten, my EoE gets triggered by citrus, nuts and legumes and my joints hate nightshades. On the other hand, I can eat non-glutinous grains and corn all day long and I eat so many sweet potatoes and winter squash I look like I've had a bad spray tan :lol: Glad you found your triggers. It can take some people years.

Kate
This diet can save your life - it saved mine! Read my story at:
http://www.drmcdougall.com/stars/cathy_stewart.htm
Katydid

Postby veggiebeth52 » Tue May 19, 2015 6:34 am

That is very interesting. I am going to give this lifestyle a try again starting today. I have done the MWL a couple times for just a couple weeks with no noticeable changes. But always missed the breads. However since I have been Vegan for several years I have tried many different vegan diet strategies, and giving up grains works the best for me. I don't have digestive issues with grains they just really hinder my weight loss.

I have been off grains for the most part for a couple months, I have eat bread like 5 times. So I am ready for this now better than ever. Thank goodness my favorite foods are Dry Beans and Potatoes. I do enjoy buckwheat but what I have is a flour ugh. So going to research in the book and on line here if we are allowed to make our own flours from whole grains. I make homemade gluten free flat bread and masa tortillas.
veggiebeth52

Return to Testimonials and Success Stories