Overweight, hay fever, arrhythmia and back pain gone :)

Share your McDougall successes here in order to inspire others.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Overweight, hay fever, arrhythmia and back pain gone :)

Postby 88Asterix95 » Tue Feb 17, 2015 5:29 am

Hi to all fellow McDougallers,

I'd like to say hi to everyone and share some of the changes I've made since I got to this WOE. I hope this is the right board category to do so.
My name is Anja, I am a 26 years old psychologist (and leisure time bare hoof trimmer ;) @ETEselle).

I started my weight loss journey about 20 months ago when I had suffered from a herniated disc at 23 years old. That was kind of the warning sign I really needed to finally decide to do something about my weight. When I had a inguinal hernia at age 20 (happened without carrying anything, just getting out of the car), that apparently wasn't enough for me.
I am 1,78m or 5 ft 10" and at that time weighed almost 100 kg (220 lbs) which was just too much for my poor back. So I started going vegan, following a recommendation of a friend (and my nagging consciousness as I already was vegetarian for ethical reasons), but went low-carb. I didn't know any better.
Within 3 days I already saw a lot of improvement: My hay fever (stupid stuff when you're working with horses a lot) and cardiac arrhythmia were GONE. Yes, gone! I had not even thought of that being possible, but I enjoyed it and kept going.
I picked up an exercise routine at my university's gym and started feeling better.
But as I am deeply curious and analytic by nature, I started reading more and more on good nutrition and eventually found the China Study, the starch solution and all the other wonderful information out there. It was all so clear and logical, that I immediately went from low carb to high carb and I LOVE IT!
It feels so natural to eat whole plants and I always surprise doctors with my great numbers.
I donate blood 3 to 4 times a year and am NEVER iron deficient. Asked by the doctor whether I was taking any supplements for that, I told her, that it's just what's inside plants anyway ;)
Last year during a routine exam (actually meant to reassure my poor grandma who thought that I would die within weeks, eating only plants ;)) they examined a primary hyperparathyroidism. That means that a part of my parathyroid was hyperactive and producing too much of a certain hormone which absorbed a lot of calcium from my bones, leading to calcification of arteries and organs and very low Vit. D. The doctors were extremely surprised that at my hormone levels I was neither severely depressed, nor suffering from stomach ulcers, nor renal failure. It was probably due to my very clean diet that the calcium did not find a lot of stuff to which it could get attached in my arteries. So it was pure chance that my condition was detected and with a little operation I was fine again. Needless to say that I was out of the hospital after a day (instead of the usual 11).

Today I am still 5 ft 10", but weigh about 143 lbs. Hay fever and arrhythmia are still gone, my back is fine without the operation and allows me even to trim up to 10 horses a day without complaining, but most of all, i FEEL fit and I start liking my body for how it is.I don't feel like the fat and ugly girl anymore, but just normal, like I always wanted to. This has boosted my confidence.
I would love to eventually get into the range of 135 lbs, but don't stress about it. I'll just keep going and see, where my body wants to go.
So here you can maybe see some of the changes this WOE has made to my outside.

Two of the "before" pictures:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/87902162/P1000237.JPG
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/87902162/DSC_2374.JPG

This is me now:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/87902162/IMG_3611.jpg

And here maybe you get a glimpse at the changes on the inside, too:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/87902162/IMG_3327.JPG

I'm looking forward to a lot of interesting exchange with you.

Greetings from Germany,

Anja
Last edited by 88Asterix95 on Wed Feb 18, 2015 2:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Stay hungry, stay foolish (Steve Jobs)

But stay hungry for life, not for the wrong foods.

From 220 lbs to 143 ;)
88Asterix95

Re: Overweight, hay fever, arrhythmia and back pain gone :)

Postby sjsilver » Tue Feb 17, 2015 5:22 pm

It sounds like this way of eating is working for you. Congratulations. I wasn't able to access the last 2 photos that you posted.
sjsilver

Postby Starchyme » Tue Feb 17, 2015 5:31 pm

I couldn't view them either.
Happy McDougalling!
Starchyme

Postby 88Asterix95 » Wed Feb 18, 2015 2:21 am

Oh, yeah, I see. Don't know why it didn't work. I edited the post, so now you should be able to see the pics ;)

From 220 lbs to 143 ;)
88Asterix95

Postby viv » Wed Feb 18, 2015 11:55 am

Congratulations Anja on your amazing transformation. You look like a completely different person! It must feel so good to be healthy and active and look good too!

You mentioned an exercise program at your gym, is it cardio/strength training etc and how often do you work out? Reason I am asking is I have lost nearly 50 lbs and am on my last 10 and as you know, the last pounds are the hardest to get off.

Viv
5'8", Started March 2013
Starting weight: 217
Current weight: 157
60lbs gone--for good!
viv

Postby Crider » Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:56 pm

Excellent results! :nod:
Crider

Postby SoyLatte » Wed Feb 18, 2015 2:38 pm

You look amazing, congratulations!! You inspire me... :-D
SoyLatte

Postby Starchyme » Wed Feb 18, 2015 3:59 pm

Thanks for the update. Looking great, Anja. Keep on keeping on.
Happy McDougalling!
Starchyme

Postby sjsilver » Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:57 pm

The photos look great. Keep it up!
sjsilver

Postby 88Asterix95 » Thu Feb 19, 2015 3:59 am

Thank you everyone for your kind words.
It surely is a different quality of life.

For the exercise I do: I regularl go to my gym when I am in town. That varies between 2 and 5 times a week. I usually do a nice mix of cardio and strength ( mix of body weight exercises and machines). I try not to train the same muscle groups twice within 2 days to give them rest. So if I go two days in a row, I do cardio only the second day.
For everything I do around here like visiting friends, grocery shopping, going to choir repetitions I go by bike. :)
And that's about it.
In summer as I live at a big lake, I love to go swimming.
I can't do anything extreme. As soon as I try to up the exercise too much ( like training for a half marathon or doing freeletics) my body doesn't consent. My knees or Achilles' tendon starts to hurt. So I listen to it and keep the strain lower ;)
The most important part is and always has to be diet, I feel.
Just re-read Jeff's posts about calory density. Yesterday for example, I had a cup of quinoa with an lb of mixed veggies for lunch and dinner. I didn't get in any more food and still I am sure that calorically speaking I have been undereating, nutritionally speaking probably it was just fine ;)

So just keep it up, viv, stay close to MWL, find some nice exercise that you like to do and so will do regularly (nothing extreme) and stick with it. The results will follow!
I know that you can do it!
Let me know how it goes.

;)

From 220 lbs to 143 ;)
88Asterix95

Postby Learning » Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:36 am

Congrats on your results, that's fantastic!
My Star McDougaller story can be found here: https://www.drmcdougall.com/health/educ ... ten/ron-m/
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me. This WOE saved my life and how I get to live it!
Learning

Return to Testimonials and Success Stories