Good Lab Results, Pre-Diabetes Under Control!

Share your McDougall successes here in order to inspire others.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Good Lab Results, Pre-Diabetes Under Control!

Postby DWu » Tue Dec 23, 2014 1:19 pm

Hi everyone!

I'm Darren, and I introduced myself a few weeks ago here. I’d like to share my own little success story, in hopes that it may encourage some of you.

I've been following a plant-based diet for about six months, but have only more closely followed Dr. McDougall's guidelines to focus on starches for about the past 3 months.

Back on July 22nd, I had bloodwork done through my company’s wellness program. Most of the numbers were good, except that my blood sugar was in the pre-diabetic range of 101.

Yesterday, exactly 5 months later on December 22nd, I had another set of bloodwork done through my insurance provider. I’m glad to report that my blood sugar went down to the normal range of 90!

Although I'm not 100% compliant yet, I’d say that I attribute my “success” to cutting down a lot on meat and oil. And although I love fruit and used to eat much more, I’ve been trying to limit them to two servings a day.

It’s worked thus far.

Here are my numbers.

7/22/2014 12/22/2014
CHOLESTEROL 124 121
TRIGLYCERIDE 59 42
HDL 45 67
LDL 66 46
GLUCOSE 101 90
A1C N/A 5.7
BMI 20.5 20.3
BP 100/65 105/71
Pulse 66 60

So I'm thankful to have discovered the plant(or starch)-based way of eating.

Again, I hope that this encourages some of you who’ve decided to pursue this way of eating to stay strong and stay the course.

Thanks!
DWu

Re: Good Lab Results, Pre-Diabetes Under Control!

Postby ETeSelle » Tue Dec 23, 2014 2:04 pm

Congrats! I still can't believe that my fasting blood sugar of 113 didn't cause the doctor to say ANYTHING to me. I knew it was high, though, and it was one of the reasons I went back on the McDougall plan almost 5 years ago. At last check, it was 79. ;-)
Elizabeth
Weight now: 124 (20.0 BMI)
Weight in 2010: 207 (33.4 BMI)
Star McDougaller Story
Testimonial thread

Trust me on this: One day you'll wake up and realize that it no longer feels like "being strict." It just feels GOOD. :)
ETeSelle

Postby DWu » Tue Dec 23, 2014 4:43 pm

ETeSelle wrote:Congrats! I still can't believe that my fasting blood sugar of 113 didn't cause the doctor to say ANYTHING to me. I knew it was high, though, and it was one of the reasons I went back on the McDougall plan almost 5 years ago. At last check, it was 79. ;-)

Thanks ETeSelle. You have a great story too.

I also try to stick to whole foods and avoid processed grains such as pasta and bread.

Congrats on your great success.

Wow, 79 is a great number. Do you have any specific insights on how you were able to get it so low?
DWu

Postby sjsilver » Wed Dec 24, 2014 4:06 am

Congratulations on your test results. :thumbsup:
sjsilver

Postby TerriNC » Wed Dec 24, 2014 6:55 am

Sounds like you're well on your way! Love hearing about your dropping numbers. Congratulations and keep up the good work!
TerriNC

Postby DWu » Wed Dec 24, 2014 11:14 am

Thanks sjsilver and TerriNC!

Great to be in a supportive, encouraging community.
DWu

Postby ETeSelle » Tue Dec 30, 2014 11:34 am

DWu wrote:Wow, 79 is a great number. Do you have any specific insights on how you were able to get it so low?

I don't think it's esp low, is it? It's in the normal range. Normal =70-99. :) I just eat the McDougall way (well, more the Jeff way--limited processed stuff).
Elizabeth
Weight now: 124 (20.0 BMI)
Weight in 2010: 207 (33.4 BMI)
Star McDougaller Story
Testimonial thread

Trust me on this: One day you'll wake up and realize that it no longer feels like "being strict." It just feels GOOD. :)
ETeSelle

Postby Caroveggie » Tue Dec 30, 2014 1:12 pm

I'm very happy for you. My mom has type 1 and won't change her diet, so I have seen first hand what this awful disease can do. While she can't reverse hers, she would be able to control the complications if she cleaned up her blood. I'm so glad you have made this change in your life and will avoid the awful side effects of diabetes! Good for you!
Caroveggie

Postby DWu » Wed Dec 31, 2014 4:46 pm

ETeSelle, I meant to say that it was “low” in a good way, not as though it was overly low. I’m been trying to limit processed stuff too.

Caroveggie,

Thanks. I’m glad I’ve made this change as well. In time, hopefully your mom will come around as she sees you living by example.
DWu

Return to Testimonials and Success Stories