My Success

Share your McDougall successes here in order to inspire others.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

My Success

Postby GoodLife » Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:08 pm

June 4, 2014 was my niece's birthday. I ate birthday cake and ice cream. The next day, June 5, I started McDougalling in earnest. I had been doodling with it since March, after I read The China Study. But it was awfully hard to give up cheese and fish and dairy. I just didn't believe that olive oil could be bad! But on June 5, I made the commitment and I finally took the plunge! :-o

The hardest to give up was cheese--watching those pizza commercials where the cheese is all gooey and stringy, almost did me in. I was a lacto-ovo-pesto vegetarian diet for eight years. What a joke, I wasn't a vegetarian! I hated vegetables! I tried to eat my five a day and most days, I ended up eating five servings of fruit--no vegetables. I didn't want to believe that salmon could be bad! I believed that extra virgin olive oil was the bomb (little did I know what kind of bomb I was ingesting).

After June 5, I did it! Gave up eggs (which was easy because I hated eggs anyway), gave up all fish, gave up all meat, gave up all dairy, gave up all added fats!

The results--I lost 31 lb.! Went from 190 to 159. I am 5' 8.5" tall, so I am slim and svelte now. I went from a size 16 to a size 10. I think I am a size 8, but I just bought a bunch of clothes at size 10, and I am trying to get my money's worth. (I have to wear my pants with a belt and cinch the belt on the next to the last hole). My BP is 119/70 (taken in October). My total cholesterol went from 190 (taken in July) to 138 (taken in November). 138! Incredible.

The most amazing thing is my level of energy! I used to go home after working 10 hours and I had just enough energy to lie on the couch and watch TV. I cannot believe how much energy I have now. I awaken at 4 a.m. and I go for a walk at 5:30 a.m. I walk again during my lunch hour for 1/2 an hour during weekdays. I walk 8 to 10 miles on the weekends--that's 8 to 10 mile each day! I remember barely being able to do 20 sit-ups and now I do 200 in rapid succession and could still keep going, but I run out of time! I remember barely being able to do 1 push up, now I do 20-25. I remember being able to do barely 10 squats, I do 30-50 now. I remember hating lunges so much! Now I do them like walking!

I am 60 years old! Even my face has changed--thinner and smoother, less oily, fewer acne bumps, and fewer wrinkles! This is so good! I am so happy--I look in the mirror and I have to tell myself to stop smiling, but I can't. I am too happy to stop! :-D
Started June 5, 2014; Joined Dec. 22, 2014
Height 5' 8.5"; Starting weight 190.5; Starting BMI: 28.5
Initial Weight Loss and BMI: 150.5; 22.5 (weight loss of 40 lbs.)
Current weight: 158
Current BMI: 23.7
GoodLife

Re: My Success

Postby GoodLife » Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:53 pm

Thanks, SudsyMaggie!
Thanks, LynnCS!

The easiest part of McDougalling is returning to eating comfort foods. I missed them so much. I believed all the hype and the misinformation about "starches are fattening" and so I self-limited all my favorite foods: pasta, potatoes, pancakes, breads, squashes, brown rice, beans and legumes. I hated vegetables -- so what was my previous diet? Lots of dairy and fruit! Yogurt, ice cream, cottage cheese, and cheese and lots of fruit. Some vegetarian I was! At least I didn't continue to ruin my health by eating meat or poultry.

Yeah, I bought the hype about fish and extra virgin olive oil. Get your omega-3's! What they should have said was get your fats, cholesterol and triglycerides.

Reading The China Study was such an eye opener! Who knew? I prided myself on keeping up with the latest nutrition information and reading lots of nutrition books. I had no idea I was being fed a bunch of lies!

But now I know the truth, thanks to T. Colin Campbell, Dr. Neal Barnard, Dr. Esselstyn, Dr. Fuhrman, Dr. Ornish, and finally Dr. McDougall. I read them all. I like Dr. McDougall's program the best, because I love the idea of eating all the starches I want along with green and yellow vegetables and fruit, and regaining my health, losing the extra weight, and never having to worry about gaining the weight back again (along as I stay on program).

Who would have ever thought I would learn to love vegetables? I love vegetables now. It's strange because they don't taste the same. Not coated with oil and grease and salt, they have a lovely mild pleasant taste that is unique and different for each one. I love mustard greens, collard greens, cauliflower, broccoli, kale, Swiss chard, beets, all kinds of lettuce, ginger root, onions, garlic, carrots, celery, peppers (red, yellow, orange, and green) and so many more!

And I don't miss cheese! I never thought I would be able to give up cheese, because as a vegetarian that is how I made vegetables palatable! I never would have dreamed I would ever give up cheese and all the other kinds of dairy. But I did. And I don't miss them. I am too busy eating my starches--my lovely long lost delectable starches. We are getting reacquainted--the white potato is my new best friend! That is what I like about McDougalling--I can eat all the potatoes I want. I never tire of the potato.

What's the hardest part of McDougalling? Getting other people to realize how wonderful this WOE is! My family thinks I am crazy--on some crazy nutrition kick again. Other people noticed I lost the weight, but as soon as I say I am not eating meat, cheese, dairy, fish, eggs, or oil--all they can do is exclaim, "then what do you eat?!? " I tell them whole grains, vegetables and fruit and legumes. They reply, "I could never do that!" If I can do it, anyone can. But I can't convince anyone because they stop listening.
GoodLife

Postby DWu » Tue Dec 23, 2014 3:39 pm

Congrats GoodLife!

I can almost feel your increased energy through your words.

And to do it at age 60 is simply remarkable.

Kudos!
DWu

Postby Daydream » Tue Dec 23, 2014 10:48 pm

I'm happy for you. Stay with it!
Daydream

Postby sjsilver » Wed Dec 24, 2014 3:59 am

GoodLife, I had to smile when I read your last post. It is exactly the way I feel. You just put it into words so well. :D
sjsilver

Postby TerriNC » Wed Dec 24, 2014 6:51 am

What an inspirational story! Congrats GoodLife! And thanks for being an encourager to everyone reading your journey!
TerriNC

Postby Lizzy_F » Sat Dec 27, 2014 9:44 am

Hi Goodlife. Congratulations on your success! I'm glad you took time to share your story - it is very encouraging to me.
Beth

"Long-term sustainable change is what we are really after." ~Jeff Novick
Lizzy_F

Postby ProudMama » Sat Dec 27, 2014 12:35 pm

Thank you for your story. I have lost and regained the same weight repeatedly and can't wait to get a grip on it once and for all. I live with my husband and two teenage sons... temptation is all around. I also started a graduate degree while working full time. Needless to say, I've been using all of these as excuses to stay stuck. I am your height and have ~40-45 lbs to lose. I just turned 50 and thought that it's impossible it is to lose weight at this age. Your story has inspired me!
All the best,
Susan

ProudMama

Postby Starch Chick » Sat Dec 27, 2014 10:45 pm

GoodLife wrote:June 5, I started McDougalling in earnest.

The results--I lost 31 lb.! Went from 190 to 159. I am 5' 8.5" tall, so I am slim and svelte now. I went from a size 16 to a size 10. I think I am a size 8, but I just bought a bunch of clothes at size 10, and I am trying to get my money's worth. (I have to wear my pants with a belt and cinch the belt on the next to the last hole). My BP is 119/70 (taken in October). My total cholesterol went from 190 (taken in July) to 138 (taken in November). 138! Incredible.

The most amazing thing is my level of energy! I used to go home after working 10 hours and I had just enough energy to lie on the couch and watch TV. I cannot believe how much energy I have now. I awaken at 4 a.m. and I go for a walk at 5:30 a.m. I walk again during my lunch hour for 1/2 an hour during weekdays. I walk 8 to 10 miles on the weekends--that's 8 to 10 mile each day! I remember barely being able to do 20 sit-ups and now I do 200 in rapid succession and could still keep going, but I run out of time! I remember barely being able to do 1 push up, now I do 20-25. I remember being able to do barely 10 squats, I do 30-50 now. I remember hating lunges so much! Now I do them like walking!

I am 60 years old! Even my face has changed--thinner and smoother, less oily, fewer acne bumps, and fewer wrinkles! This is so good! I am so happy--I look in the mirror and I have to tell myself to stop smiling, but I can't. I am too happy to stop! :-D

Wow, GoodLife, so happy for you. What wonderful results you have had. I can relate to the no energy thing and just laying on the couch after work. But I have found, just like you, that eating the McDougall way always gives me a lot more energy.
Congrats on the weight loss, too!
Keep up the good work
You are an inspiration
Thanks for posting
:-D
.....Beth
"It's the food" - Dr McDougall
Starch Chick

Postby Caroveggie » Tue Dec 30, 2014 1:16 pm

Congrats! You sound very healthy :)
Caroveggie

Postby DallasDog58 » Mon Feb 09, 2015 7:39 am

Congratulations!!! I just found your posts and they give me hope. I am 58 and having a low energy problem after sitting at a desk all day. The weather is getting nicer so I can get out and walk at lunch now.

Thanks so much for your story. It is very encouraging and I need that right now.
Linda
DallasDog58

Postby GoodLife » Tue Feb 10, 2015 4:33 pm

Thanks, Proud Mama! Don't give up! This way of eating is so great! It was so much fun weighing myself and seeing the pounds drop. That never happened to me before. I know everyone says don't weigh yourself everyday, but I couldn't help it. I just wanted to be there to see when I lost another 2,3, or 4 pounds! I didn't want to miss it! And I kept a record of my daily weight. Which is way cool because now I can go back and see that on June 26, I weighed 176 lbs. but on July 13, I weighed 169, etc. And I also started keeping a detailed record of what I ate. I still do! I still weigh myself daily and I still record what I eat. Even when I fall off the wagon and feast (with horrible gastrointestinal results, I might add), I still record what I ate. You can do it, too! Hang in there and don't give up!

Thanks, DallasDog58! Don't believe the hype about it's impossible to lose the weight because we are older! It's not about age--it's about what you eat! It's the food! We were not meant to be fat and sick at any age. You can do it! 58 is not old--the SAD diet is what makes us old, not our age!

Thanks, CaroVeggie! Yes, I am very healthy. Probably healthier then I have been in my life. Isn't it ironic that I would be healthier now at 60 than I was at 40? Why? How? It's the food!

Thanks, Starch Chick! No more laying on the couch for me (unless I am taking a nap, after a very busy, activity-filled day!) I love my new size. Do you know I have not weighed in the 150s since the 1980s? In 1989, I weighed 154. Now, over 25 years later, I weight 158. Can you believe it! I can't! That's why I continue to weigh myself every day, because I can't believe it either.

I want to thank the community here for all the words of encouragement and the success stories! I lurked on this discussion board for months before I had to courage to post. And everyone has been so nice, friendly and encouraging! I learned so much by reading the Star McDougaller posts, the posts about food, exercise, the latest health information and misinformation, and Dr. McDougall's newsletters (I started at the beginning and am now up to 2005. I hope to read them all and catch up to 2015). Someday I hope to attend a 3-day session and meet all my heroes--Drs, McDougall, Campbell, Barnard, Ornish, Esselstyn, Jeff Novick, and all the rest of my fellow McDougallers and WFPBno'ers. Someday. Maybe in 2015? I hope. I am saving my money.

In the meantime, I will continue to follow the plan and enjoy eating the best food I ever ate in my life.

Now that I am healthy and fit, I am working on being toned. All those months of laying on the couch didn't exactly build muscle. I am working to be my healthiest!
GoodLife

Postby GoodLife » Wed Oct 07, 2015 4:27 pm

This week is fair week--the parade, crazy rides, hawking dealers looking to separate me from my money, arts and crafts, Zip Line, art, music, and the unhealthiest food on the planet! Everything is death defyingly fried: hot dogs, corn dogs, funnel cake, candied apples, burritos, tacos, gorditas, Snickers candy bars, ice cream sandwiches, etc. And all the meat is barbecued: wings, turkey legs, pork loin, ham, ribs, etc. So much sugar: funnel cakes, candy apples, cotton candy, taffy, etc.. And salted: pickles, popcorn, and chips. There is not a vegetable to be found. Even the burgers do not have lettuce and tomatoes on them or even onions. (The onions are fried too).

What’s a passionately-determined-to-stay-healthy person to do in such a toxic environment? Bring my own food! I have never sneaked IN food to a fair in my life! But I did last night. I went to the student cafeteria beforehand and fixed a do-it-yourself luscious, large salad in a large container with delectable vegetables and fruits (lettuces, grape tomatoes, red and green bell peppers, cucumbers, red onions, radishes, and so on). I squeezed lemon wedges on top instead of using the oily salad dressings. Then I prepared a fruit salad in a smaller container with honey dew melon, cantaloupe, grapes, and pineapple. I put them in separate TO GO containers and I put them in a bag. Then I took the bag with me INTO the fair. :D

Sure, the fact that I had a vendor pass and could get in the separate vendor gate and park in the vendor parking lot (where I was not so conspicuous carrying a bag INTO the fair) helped a lot. Yes, I volunteered to sit at my employer’s booth and answer questions and give out promotional goodies. But I didn’t see any reason in the world that just because I was sitting in a food toxic environment laden with foods I have mentally classified as “poisons” for my body, that I should suddenly succumb to temptation and “feast” on the food poisons! I have the right to eat healthy—ANYWHERE. I have freedom of choice all the time, if I am creative and imaginative enough. :!:

So while all around people were gouging and stuffing themselves with toxic food, I sat and ate my vegetable salad. Then I sat and ate my fruit salad. And I drank water from my water bottle. And I felt great! I did not experience that nausea, bloating, and fatigue that come from overindulging in greasy, sugary, salty, unrecognizable junk.

I know Dr. McDougall says we can feast once in a while, but I have worked so hard to regain my health, have sacrificed so much to get to this point of health, that I don’t want to relinquish even one inch in retreat back to where I was even a year and a half ago!
For me, there is such a thing as feasting on healthy food! Feasting doesn’t have to be on just toxic food. I feasted on that salad and that fruit because every morsel was delicious and delectable and energizing! I feasted on that fruit salad because the fruit was juicy and sweet and I can taste a cornucopia of exotic flavors that my taste buds did not even know existed in such simple food two years ago! For me every McDougall meal is a feast! I get to eat to satiation! I get to eat until I am delightfully full! Every meal is a feast! I never have to experience hunger or famine again!

I don’t need toxic food to make me happy anymore! I don’t need toxic food to make my life seem worthwhile anymore. I don’t need toxic food to feel that I am rich and have it made! I don’t need toxic food to celebrate a drab existence or to brighten a gray day or to make life worth living anymore. Life is NOT drab or gray. Life IS worth living. WHY? Because I am healthy! When you have your health, you have everything, as the saying goes? Why would I want to feast on toxic food that makes me feel sick, weak, fatigued when I can feast on healthy starches and fruits and vegetables that make me feel healthy, energetic and alive?
I am going to the fair again tonight. This time I am going as a customer, not as a vendor. I can’t carry a bag of food in and look inconspicuous. But I can carry a backpack IN loaded with baked potatoes, pita pizza, and apples. I can eat a bowl of Vegetable and Barley Soup before I go in.

I will be going with family who look forward every year to the fair so they can gorge on “fair” food. There will be pressure to have just a little bit; to live a little, to enjoy life because we will all die soon enough. Everything in moderation, they will say. You only live once, they will say. Live today, because tomorrow we die, they will say. But I have heard it all before and, yes, when I was not so far along down this road, I gave in. I suffered nausea, diarrhea, fatigue from that food that was supposed to help me “live a little.” It felt like I was dying a lot!

But I have since had many opportunities to say, ‘No, thank you” while I eat my oatmeal or baked potato. I have had a few more opportunities to resist. I have remained strong and, consequently, each time I resist successfully, I grow stronger. It becomes easier. So much so, that in the office, my co-workers have stopped trying to entice me with that piece of birthday cake or that donut or that chocolate cookie or that brownie. They know I will say no, so they don’t even try anymore. The fact that they recognize my past successes as future successes, helps ME become even stronger. Because there are times in my own mind, I hear the singsong of “live a little” or “Dr. McDougall says you can feast” and I am tempted to give in. I mentally line up my defenses and my excuses FOR indulging just THIS one time. But I am spared. They don’t even ask me. They have learned I am serious and determined. They have quit trying. That makes ME stronger in a weak moment.

The same with my family. I have gone to enough birthday parties with cake and chips and ice cream and Long John Silver’s fish or Church’s fish or French fries or broiled salmon, all stuff I used to eat even two years ago. But I have said “No” enough times, that they don’t even offer. Their recognition of my strength and determination makes me even stronger and more determined.

Unfortunately, my example (my strength, my determination) has not enticed anyone to join me. They just eat indulgently in front on me. I don’t know what to make of that—the fact that I have no influence. I lost the weight. I know I look fantastic. I know I look younger than my 61 years. I know I am a good example of health, but no one even asks me how I do it. They just think I am crazy for turning down such delectable, delicious, delightful toxic food. And I think they are crazy for indulging! So it is a standoff to see who is the craziest! :twisted:
GoodLife

Postby Yomom » Wed Oct 07, 2015 5:03 pm

GoodLife wrote:This week is fair week--the parade, crazy rides, hawking dealers looking to separate me from my money, arts and crafts, Zip Line, art, music, and the unhealthiest food on the planet! Everything is death defyingly fried: hot dogs, corn dogs, funnel cake, candied apples, burritos, tacos, gorditas, Snickers candy bars, ice cream sandwiches, etc. And all the meat is barbecued: wings, turkey legs, pork loin, ham, ribs, etc. So much sugar: funnel cakes, candy apples, cotton candy, taffy, etc.. And salted: pickles, popcorn, and chips. There is not a vegetable to be found. Even the burgers do not have lettuce and tomatoes on them or even onions. (The onions are fried too).

What’s a passionately-determined-to-stay-healthy person to do in such a toxic environment? Bring my own food! I have never sneaked IN food to a fair in my life! But I did last night. I went to the student cafeteria beforehand and fixed a do-it-yourself luscious, large salad in a large container with delectable vegetables and fruits (lettuces, grape tomatoes, red and green bell peppers, cucumbers, red onions, radishes, and so on). I squeezed lemon wedges on top instead of using the oily salad dressings. Then I prepared a fruit salad in a smaller container with honey dew melon, cantaloupe, grapes, and pineapple. I put them in separate TO GO containers and I put them in a bag. Then I took the bag with me INTO the fair. :D

Sure, the fact that I had a vendor pass and could get in the separate vendor gate and park in the vendor parking lot (where I was not so conspicuous carrying a bag INTO the fair) helped a lot. Yes, I volunteered to sit at my employer’s booth and answer questions and give out promotional goodies. But I didn’t see any reason in the world that just because I was sitting in a food toxic environment laden with foods I have mentally classified as “poisons” for my body, that I should suddenly succumb to temptation and “feast” on the food poisons! I have the right to eat healthy—ANYWHERE. I have freedom of choice all the time, if I am creative and imaginative enough. :!:

So while all around people were gouging and stuffing themselves with toxic food, I sat and ate my vegetable salad. Then I sat and ate my fruit salad. And I drank water from my water bottle. And I felt great! I did not experience that nausea, bloating, and fatigue that come from overindulging in greasy, sugary, salty, unrecognizable junk.

I know Dr. McDougall says we can feast once in a while, but I have worked so hard to regain my health, have sacrificed so much to get to this point of health, that I don’t want to relinquish even one inch in retreat back to where I was even a year and a half ago!
For me, there is such a thing as feasting on healthy food! Feasting doesn’t have to be on just toxic food. I feasted on that salad and that fruit because every morsel was delicious and delectable and energizing! I feasted on that fruit salad because the fruit was juicy and sweet and I can taste a cornucopia of exotic flavors that my taste buds did not even know existed in such simple food two years ago! For me every McDougall meal is a feast! I get to eat to satiation! I get to eat until I am delightfully full! Every meal is a feast! I never have to experience hunger or famine again!

I don’t need toxic food to make me happy anymore! I don’t need toxic food to make my life seem worthwhile anymore. I don’t need toxic food to feel that I am rich and have it made! I don’t need toxic food to celebrate a drab existence or to brighten a gray day or to make life worth living anymore. Life is NOT drab or gray. Life IS worth living. WHY? Because I am healthy! When you have your health, you have everything, as the saying goes? Why would I want to feast on toxic food that makes me feel sick, weak, fatigued when I can feast on healthy starches and fruits and vegetables that make me feel healthy, energetic and alive?
I am going to the fair again tonight. This time I am going as a customer, not as a vendor. I can’t carry a bag of food in and look inconspicuous. But I can carry a backpack IN loaded with baked potatoes, pita pizza, and apples. I can eat a bowl of Vegetable and Barley Soup before I go in.

I will be going with family who look forward every year to the fair so they can gorge on “fair” food. There will be pressure to have just a little bit; to live a little, to enjoy life because we will all die soon enough. Everything in moderation, they will say. You only live once, they will say. Live today, because tomorrow we die, they will say. But I have heard it all before and, yes, when I was not so far along down this road, I gave in. I suffered nausea, diarrhea, fatigue from that food that was supposed to help me “live a little.” It felt like I was dying a lot!

But I have since had many opportunities to say, ‘No, thank you” while I eat my oatmeal or baked potato. I have had a few more opportunities to resist. I have remained strong and, consequently, each time I resist successfully, I grow stronger. It becomes easier. So much so, that in the office, my co-workers have stopped trying to entice me with that piece of birthday cake or that donut or that chocolate cookie or that brownie. They know I will say no, so they don’t even try anymore. The fact that they recognize my past successes as future successes, helps ME become even stronger. Because there are times in my own mind, I hear the singsong of “live a little” or “Dr. McDougall says you can feast” and I am tempted to give in. I mentally line up my defenses and my excuses FOR indulging just THIS one time. But I am spared. They don’t even ask me. They have learned I am serious and determined. They have quit trying. That makes ME stronger in a weak moment.

The same with my family. I have gone to enough birthday parties with cake and chips and ice cream and Long John Silver’s fish or Church’s fish or French fries or broiled salmon, all stuff I used to eat even two years ago. But I have said “No” enough times, that they don’t even offer. Their recognition of my strength and determination makes me even stronger and more determined.

Unfortunately, my example (my strength, my determination) has not enticed anyone to join me. They just eat indulgently in front on me. I don’t know what to make of that—the fact that I have no influence. I lost the weight. I know I look fantastic. I know I look younger than my 61 years. I know I am a good example of health, but no one even asks me how I do it. They just think I am crazy for turning down such delectable, delicious, delightful toxic food. And I think they are crazy for indulging! So it is a standoff to see who is the craziest! :twisted:

Congratulations on your continued success and thanks so much for your latest post. It is inspirational!

Kathy (Yomom)
Yomom

Return to Testimonials and Success Stories