Great success, 6 weeks in. Wow!

Share your McDougall successes here in order to inspire others.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Great success, 6 weeks in. Wow!

Postby maggieleaps8 » Mon Dec 08, 2014 7:44 pm

I have been reading the message boards for a week now and found Dr. M 6 weeks ago or so. I had never heard of such a things but after reading a lot of his old newsletters and his entire website many times I decided to give it a try. I had been vegan 2 years ago for 4 months but ended up getting gallstones (because of rapid weight loss maybe?) and when I got out of hospital a week later just ate whatever felt good and didn't go back until now.
However, the whole 'fat you eat is the fat you wear' is one I had never heard and previously I was eating nuts/trail mix every day as I thought it was a healthy and energy giving snack. Plus lots of olives and sun butter and cooking my veggies in oil EEK!
ANYWAY today marks the beginning of my 6th week on this WOE. I have lost 15 pounds and weight loss has slowed down. Maybe because I have 15 pounds to go (maybe 20 but idk because I have never been THAT skinny) or maybe because I have allowed myself some indulgences in the past two weeks i.e. thanksgiving (no turkey tho) and an avocado on my salad plus pineapple upside-down cake (omg very good homed).
I can't believe how amazing and effortless this is. I used to eat a peanut butter and jelly sandwich every day plus yogurt and cereal and some packaged foods. Maybe some fruit. Started this diet and now I eat bread maybe every 3 days and I don't miss it! Haven't had pasta in 6 weeks.
Besides the weight loss I have noticed extreme energy improvement, need less sleep, better bowel movements, my knees don't ache when I sit cross legged anymore, I WANT to be more active and do 50 squats a day while watching tv or outside on playground at recess with my class, I have clearer skin, the white spots on my nails are grown out and no new ones appearing and perhaps best of all my low level ANXIETY AND DEPRESSION ARE GONE!! I experience happiness and peace in a way I have never known. I don't sweat the small stuff.
I have kept it really simple making big batches of baked potatoes/sweet potatoes, carrots and onions or a soup every sunday. Plus cooking up black beans, peas, corn and rice and a huge salad and putting everything in separate containers so I have an endless variety of combinations. Start my day with oatmeal and banana or berries and eat 3 servings of fruit a day instead of 2. Recently discovered gnocchi and love it with 1/2 cup of pasta sauce and some peas on the side. Also eat one or two mcdougall soup cups (split pea barley is the best and great over some baked potatoes and lentils) per week. I've started making my own hummus without tahini and eating it with corn tortillas or homemade corn chips as a snack. Basic, easy, cheap items. I had a lot of temptation as my husband will not eat this way, but have done really well with cheating as I am always satisfied and have plenty of healthy yummy stuff on hand. I did try to eat a packaged cupcake last week and all i could taste were CHEMICALS it was so weird. Ate two bites, thew it away and went to get some grapes, yum.
The first 2 weeks I was hungry a lot and felt like I constantly needed to eat even though I lost a lot of weight. i think it was just my body adjusting to this WOE and now I eat a lot less, not hungry as much, and bring food home from work each day.
I am still really tempted by cheese but have never liked meat and don't miss milk as I drink almond milk instead and like it better.
I am 30 years old 5' 6'' and a half and weigh 149 pounds. My goal is 135/size 4 which I have not been for about 7 years. It is amazing to wake up each day with less belly and more energy, even when I think there is no way I lost weight today I still end up smaller!
To anyone starting out keep it simple, and go cold turkey from everything that is not mcdougall. This makes it easier as you will see and experience drastic results and then want to keep going. Now I know that I can have a 'treat' every few weeks and still be ok it makes it easier to say 'i am not going to eat that brownie/cheese/pizza today but if I still want it on Sunday i can have it then.' Great psychological tool for me.
Anyway, thank you to all who share your stories and motivate me and others to keep at it. Time and adherence and I know I will get there. I just have to stop thinking the last 15 will come off as fast as the first :)

peace and blessings on your journey to a happy healthy life.

*M
maggieleaps8

Re: Great success, 6 weeks in. Wow!

Postby Starchyme » Tue Dec 09, 2014 5:35 am

Fantastic job, Maggie. Happy McDougalling. :)
Happy McDougalling!
Starchyme

Postby christianvegan » Tue Dec 09, 2014 12:40 pm

Thanks for your honest sharing. Its challenging when those we live with aren't doing this also, but it can be done! You will lose the rest of that, don't worry! In the meantime, savor the journey!
christianvegan

Postby Birdy » Wed Dec 10, 2014 12:59 am

Great post. I can relate to having a spouse who doesn't eat this way, but you're doing well despite that. I appreciated the details you gave about how you're organizing your food for success and about some of the experiences you've had transitioning to this way of eating. Congratulations on your success!
"The program is essentially cost and risk free." ~ Dr. John McDougall
Birdy

Postby maggieleaps8 » Thu Dec 11, 2014 8:20 am

Thanks for the encouragement guys! This site is wonderful and so supportive; way more than most message boards. It is a great place to come when looking for ideas or some inspiration. You all are amazing in undertaking this way of life!

* M
maggieleaps8

Return to Testimonials and Success Stories