My Journey to Health

Share your McDougall successes here in order to inspire others.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

My Journey to Health

Postby TerriNC » Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:55 am

I've been on here a few months now but never posted my story. Posting it now in hopes it will encourage other 'lurkers' like I used to be. I lurked for nearly a year before I joined. ;-) http://eatplantbased14.wordpress.com/about/
TerriNC

Re: My Journey to Health

Postby Atheria » Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:21 pm

Great job, and I love how you want to help others.

Good luck,
Atheria
~ ATHERIA ~
www.bridge4spirit.wordpress.com
Atheria

Postby sjsilver » Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:35 pm

Congratulations on your success. I was wondering if you had any luck convincing your Mom to eat plant based.
sjsilver

Postby TerriNC » Fri Nov 21, 2014 7:46 am

sjsilver wrote:Congratulations on your success. I was wondering if you had any luck convincing your Mom to eat plant based.

I've really tried, and she's said she wants to make changes because she's watched me, and my sister, who were both having the beginning symptoms like hers, do a 180 with our health. We used to sit around her kitchen table on our Sunday afternoon visits and talk about everything that was hurting and compare swollen joints in our hands. No I'm not kidding. My sister and I were so afraid we were going to end up like Mom--disabled in our 50's. And, Mom kept feeling so guilty that she had passed on terrible genes to us. Once I changed to WFPL, it took my sister another year to get onboard. She said she hated most veggies and could never do it. I didn't pressure her, but she kept watching me improve and felt alone in her fears. We finally sat down and figured out a way for my sister to get onboard, and now she's doing great too!

Mom has watched all of this, and said she wants to try it. I've given her Forks Over Knives, let her borrow books, taken her to the grocery store twice to show her what to buy, had her and my stepfather over for dinner to show her how to cook and eat. But, she always goes back to eating crap. She likes my food, but doesn't want to do it herself. I went over there one day and she had actually fried fish in her new spelt flour we purchased together! WTH?! She said it was healthier than white flour! Ugh! She's on 17 different medications, and a nurse comes to her house every other week to give her a shot of Cimzia for her rheumatoid arthritis. She's on a lot of pain meds too--at least 3-4 times a day. Her brain is so foggy, it's hard to make her understand stuff. :cry: . And she has no willpower to change. I've begged her and my stepdad to go to one of Dr. McDougall's retreats. They can easily afford it, and that's the only way I think they'll actually have a chance to change. By getting them out of their home and comfort zone, and ensuring they try this 100% for a few days, just long enough to see and feel a difference that might motivate them. They won't even consider going. Makes me so sad.
TerriNC

Postby Birdy » Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:27 am

Terri, you're an inspiration! Keep us updated about your progress in the Food for Life program and congratulations on completing the Cornell training!
"The program is essentially cost and risk free." ~ Dr. John McDougall
Birdy

Postby TerriNC » Fri Nov 21, 2014 3:29 pm

Thank you! I'm excited to see how it all comes together with PCRM and Food for Life classes! I'll keep you posted!
TerriNC

Postby sjsilver » Fri Nov 21, 2014 7:44 pm

I understand your frustration. I guess you going with them to a retreat is not an option either? Some people don't like to do things on their own. Well, good luck to you. You are doing great!
sjsilver

Postby TerriNC » Sat Nov 22, 2014 7:46 am

sjsilver wrote:I understand your frustration. I guess you going with them to a retreat is not an option either? Some people don't like to do things on their own. Well, good luck to you. You are doing great!

I think their holdup is being afraid that they'll be made to do something they don't want to by the staff there. Mom's afraid they'd try to take some of her meds away from her, or make her eat celery sticks for 10 days (even though the link I sent them looks like feast and paradise), and Pop doesn't want to spend the money. The McDougall retreat I looked at and sent them the link to was in CA, and they are in SC, so there would be a good bit of travel expenses, as well as the cost of the retreat. They have plenty of money to do it, but Pop is very tight. He wouldn't see the reality that this could save their lives. Side note on his health--he has diabetes, and never goes to the doctor unless absolutely necessary. He just retired in March and is 67 years old. Nearly every man in his family has died in their 60's of a heart attack, and his father died in his 50's (I think) from leukemia. Not a good health record, and Pop's diet is terrible.

Even though I can't afford to go with them, I'd find a way if that'd make them say yes. At this point, I honestly don't believe my mom will be around another 3-5 years unless something changes. She has so many symptoms, and I don't have a clue what is coming from her illnesses, and what is just plain side effects of the meds she's on. She has foggy brain, slurred speech, numbness, dizziness, you name it, she's got it. I know she has pain and needs meds, but the meds have to be killing her slowly. So very frustrating!
TerriNC

Postby sjsilver » Sat Nov 22, 2014 8:50 am

Yes, it is frustrating. My parents are elderly with health problems as well. Dad has heart problems and Mom has diabetes. My Dad actually gave his approval when I first started Mcdougalling. This kind of shocked me as he has never approved of any diet that I know of. Dad's family lived in Poland during WW2 on potatoes and pickles. So Dad knows the value of a potato. But, he would never agree to eat this way now, even though he admits that it is probably the healthiest diet.
sjsilver

Postby sjsilver » Sat Nov 22, 2014 5:19 pm

I think that the physical change I notice the most (aside from weight loss), is the absence of grogginess. I work nights and we tend to be a little groggy anyways. But the grogginess stayed with me for about 2 hours after I would wake up. I was one of those ones that you didn't talk to, until I had my 2nd cup of coffee. Now in about 15 minutes I am wide awake and ready to go. I love that!

I agree with you that people would need constant monitoring, and this would only work if they were living in your house. And they would just resent the monitoring, even if they said they wanted to do it. Someone at work always complains about her high cholesterol and blood pressure. Then she looks at me and says, "But I don't want to change the way I eat." I never said a thing. I think she is feeling guilty or something.
sjsilver

Postby TerriNC » Sun Nov 23, 2014 6:13 pm

Yep, Lynn and sjsliver,
I was just over at my mom's for our Sunday afternoon visit today, and she gave me my books back. She just said, "I need to give these back to you." Nothing else. She sat there and drank her coffee and ate a mix of M&Ms.

You're right, there's no way to make them get healthy. They have to want it for themselves. The saddest thing for me is knowing they could get better (and I have the power to help them), but watching them slowly poising themselves in front of my very eyes. I want to help, but feel like I've done all I can, and my hands are tied. Not a good feeling. :-(

I'm a very visual person. Just so you guys get an idea of my mom, she looks just like Paula Dean and has been mistaken for her many times. She talks like her with the Southern accent too, and used to cook just like her, when she felt more like cooking---plenty of Duke's Mayo, butter, and milk. Only picture Paula Dean with a cane or walker, because sometimes Mom has to use these, depending on how she's feeling each day.
TerriNC

Postby sjsilver » Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:26 pm

It is hard to just accept that there is nothing you can do to help your loved ones. I have felt so good eating this way and it hasn't seemed difficult. I wish that they would just try it for awhile. :(
sjsilver

Postby plowe » Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:06 pm

Hello,

I have an autoimmune Crohn’s and have been between SCD diet and Paleo, which means I have cut out gluten and grains and eat vegetables, fruit and nuts. However, my inflammatory markers have gone down but not within normal range. I was a vegan for ten years prior and would like to go back to a plant based diet. Something inside tells me that this is what I should be eating.

I’m not sure how with a gluten sensitivity, what are your thoughts on this?
plowe

Postby TerriNC » Wed Nov 26, 2014 6:52 am

plowe wrote:Hello,

I have an autoimmune Crohn’s and have been between SCD diet and Paleo, which means I have cut out gluten and grains and eat vegetables, fruit and nuts. However, my inflammatory markers have gone down but not within normal range. I was a vegan for ten years prior and would like to go back to a plant based diet. Something inside tells me that this is what I should be eating.

I’m not sure how with a gluten sensitivity, what are your thoughts on this?

Hi Plowe,
I did a search for Crohn's and gluten sensitivity on here and came up with this thread where it's being discussed. Within the thread there are links to Dr. McDougall's thoughts on the subject. Hopefully, this will help. Maybe others on here with experience with these issues can comment too. I have a friend with Crohn's and am interested as well.
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=23152&p=230486&hilit=Crohn%27s+gluten+sensitive#p230486
TerriNC

Return to Testimonials and Success Stories