Three milestones for me today!

Share your McDougall successes here in order to inspire others.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Three milestones for me today!

Postby iowamv » Sat Oct 11, 2014 7:24 am

My story is here: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=44694#p460985

So I was at 200 lbs in May, and completely depressed about my weight. Today, I weigh 180 lbs. :-D And it occurs to me that I've hit a few milestones all in one day.

As of today:
I've lost 10% of my body weight.
I'm half way to my goal, which is to get to 160 lbs. (giving me a BMI of 22).
I'm now a member of the "healthy weight" category; my BMI at this weight is 24.9.

Skipping the oatmeal and going right to the whole wheat (and fat free) pancakes for my breakfast celebration. :lol: It has been at least two years since I've experienced this weight.

I LOVED a conversation I had with someone at work yesterday. They asked how much more I wanted to lose, and I said 20 lbs. And they said "Is that healthy? Doesn't seem like you have 20 lbs to lose." I replied "I have clothing that proves I once weighed that much. And when I wore them, no one came up and said "you need to gain weight!" No one looks at pictures of me at that weight and says "oh, you looked way to thin!"

The best thing about this is that I feel I have momentum! I KNOW I'm going to get to my goal. It is just a matter of time.
iowamv

Re: Three milestones for me today!

Postby perky12415 » Sat Oct 11, 2014 10:26 am

Way to go. Is that frame of mind so interesting about being what your ideal weight is and what others perceive you should weigh...
perky12415

Postby iowamv » Sat Oct 11, 2014 10:31 am

Thanks Maggie!

Perky, it is interesting. The woman I was speaking to said "well, you might have weighed that when you were younger, but do you think you should weigh that now? I guess I assume people normally gain weight as they age." :shock:

I wonder if people sometimes react like that because they are somewhat defensive about their own weight.
iowamv

Postby perky12415 » Sat Oct 11, 2014 12:47 pm

I definitely think it is a defense mechanism of sorts, an internal justification, rationalization... etc.
perky12415

Postby viv » Sat Oct 11, 2014 1:21 pm

Congratulations! You have a great attitude and you KNOW without question you will achieve your goal. Fantastic.

Viv
5'8", Started March 2013
Starting weight: 217
Current weight: 157
60lbs gone--for good!
viv

Postby mms » Sat Oct 11, 2014 9:18 pm

It is so neat when the program is working! Congratulations! Good job! :-D mms
mms

Postby dlee » Sun Oct 12, 2014 7:14 pm

Terrific! You're getting there.Way to go.
I know what you mean about questioning whether you should weigh that now. I've had that happen to me too. I am really close to my target weight About 5 lbs away, then I can weigh what I was when I was about 16. to 18, And why not? Anyways I'm sticking to my plan and feel healthier and energetic. Dlee
dlee

Postby iowamv » Sun Oct 12, 2014 7:44 pm

Wow, thanks for the encouragement!

Viv, here's my secret to knowing I'm going to get there:

For most weeks, the average is based on daily weighing, so the means are stable. :-D

That drop around Week 18? That's when I discovered this site, and dropped most soymilk, tofu, dried fruit, etc. I was overeating fruit in general. I printed a copy of JeffN's "placemat" and put it on the refrigerator. I now make beans, potatoes and sweet potatoes for the entire week each weekend. That kind of thing. This site is amazing! I went from a weekly average loss of 0.78 to 1.43 after I made those changes.

So yeah, I know if I just keep on keepin' on I'm gonna get there. I've got momentum. The McDougall plan works, absolutely. Slow and steady wins the race.

Thanks again everyone!
iowamv

Postby iowamv » Sun Oct 12, 2014 8:16 pm

dlee wrote:Terrific! You're getting there.Way to go.
I know what you mean about questioning whether you should weigh that now. I've had that happen to me too. I am really close to my target weight About 5 lbs away, then I can weigh what I was when I was about 16. to 18, And why not? Anyways I'm sticking to my plan and feel healthier and energetic. Dlee

16 to 18?! That's amazing. My son is in college, and when I get to 160 lbs. we'll weight the same amount. Can't wait.
iowamv

Postby katmatry » Mon Oct 13, 2014 5:35 am

Great Job! You'll be at 160 before you know it.
I believe people question your desire to loose 20 more pounds because the perception of what is a healthy weight is clearly flawed. When you live in a county with 2/3 of the population overweight or obese it's hard to see a healthy weight as normal.
katmatry

Postby mwalker » Sat Nov 15, 2014 1:25 pm

So inspiring! I liked the visual chart too.
mwalker

Postby iowamv » Sat Nov 22, 2014 10:02 pm

mwalker wrote:So inspiring! I liked the visual chart too.

Thanks! Today's milestone: I just pulled out a dozen pairs of pants from "storage," tried them on and added them back to my wardrobe. They fit! Wow, this is an amazing experience. I've got another 17 lbs to go. I wonder how many of those clothes will still fit once my BMI is 22? That'd be a nice problem to have.
iowamv

Return to Testimonials and Success Stories