Now down 130 pounds!

Share your McDougall successes here in order to inspire others.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: fatfreevegan: Mary's Mini?

Postby fatfreevegan » Thu Nov 22, 2007 1:12 am

Thank you! Most interesting, I think I might give this a try! I am just a tad worried about boredom, but if it works, I think I'll get over that pretty quickly. :D
fatfreevegan

Postby Clary » Sat Nov 24, 2007 12:02 pm

fatfreevegan wrote:

Thank you! Most interesting, I think I might give this a try! I am just a tad worried about boredom, but if it works, I think I'll get over that pretty quickly. :D

I think "boredom" with food and getting on to other things besides food or the next tempting recipe is part of what helps make this "mini-diet" work! :-D
How ya' doing? Did you give it a try?
Clary

Postby fatfreevegan » Sun Nov 25, 2007 2:13 am

Clary wrote:I think "boredom" with food and getting on to other things besides food or the next tempting recipe is part of what helps make this "mini-diet" work! :-D

I just started today! Making home made hash browns was a challenge ... a big mess, a big pain and difficult to cook without any added fat. Not sure I'll try that again. Otherwise, so far so good.

The only real problem is after eating my big lunch of hash browns and a salad I actually felt HUNGRIER than before I ate! After about 20 minutes or so I felt satisfied, but that hunger was STRONG and I really wanted a piece of bread. I didn't give in though, so I'm glad about that.

I've made up a big pot of mashed potatoes to take for lunches the next few days because I don't have time at work to make anything that I can't just reheat. And I can quickly microwave a baked potato for breakfast or dice some up and pan fry them I guess.

Those that use frozen hash browns ... don't those have oil added? I can't find any here in Australia that don't. I've posted the question on a couple of different topics, so I'm quite curious to hear what others are using.

Wish me luck!
fatfreevegan

Postby Nettie » Sun Nov 25, 2007 9:31 am

fatfreevegan wrote:
Clary wrote:I think "boredom" with food and getting on to other things besides food or the next tempting recipe is part of what helps make this "mini-diet" work! :-D

The only real problem is after eating my big lunch of hash browns and a salad I actually felt HUNGRIER than before I ate! After about 20 minutes or so I felt satisfied, but that hunger was STRONG and I really wanted a piece of bread. I didn't give in though, so I'm glad about that.

Those that use frozen hash browns ... don't those have oil added? I can't find any here in Australia that don't. I've posted the question on a couple of different topics, so I'm quite curious to hear what others are using.

Wish me luck!

If you were still hungry, eat more salad, or some fruit, or another potato. There's no need to go hungry on the McDougall Plan!

If memory serves, I think the Ore-Ida brand of hash browns has no oil.

Nettie
Nettie

Postby fatfreevegan » Sun Nov 25, 2007 8:11 pm

Nettie wrote:If you were still hungry, eat more salad, or some fruit, or another potato. There's no need to go hungry on the McDougall Plan! If memory serves, I think the Ore-Ida brand of hash browns has no oil.
Nettie

Thanks Nettie. I wish we had Ore-Ida here, but we don't. I would have thought the weight watchers brand would be oil free, but it's not. Still, it is the lowest in fat. But they don't make hash browns, they only make chips (thick fries) and wedges. The only hash browns I can find here are the patty type, and they are loaded with fat.
fatfreevegan

Postby VeggieSue » Mon Nov 26, 2007 5:28 am

Frozen hash brown potatoes are just plain potatoes, either diced or shredded, depending on the brand. Some companies add bits of onion and peppers, as you saw, many add oil.

If you own a food processor or even just a box grater you can easily make your own. Just shed up a potato or 2 and toss it in the frying pan. If you prefer the diced version, just cut up the spuds or buy one of those devices that will do the chopping for you. I'm sure some company in Australia makes a product similar tot he Chop Wizard we get here in the USA:
https://www.chopwizard.com/

Just stay far away from those frozen oil-laden patties.
VeggieSue

Postby fatfreevegan » Mon Nov 26, 2007 5:37 am

VeggieSue wrote:Frozen hash brown potatoes are just plain potatoes, either diced or shredded, depending on the brand. If you own a food processor or even just a box grater you can easily make your own. Just shed up a potato or 2 and toss it in the frying pan.

Thanks, I did that. The problem is they stick horribly and it was time consuming and very messy. So I was just wondering what others are using, because if I could find an oil free frozen one it would sure be easier.

Also, I have a really good non-stick pan, but they stuck badly, so there again, wondering how others are doing it.
fatfreevegan

Postby Love the Lorax » Mon Nov 26, 2007 7:58 am

I tried making them from raw potatoes once, and had the same outcome. UGH!!! Never again I said. I called my mom who said the problem was that I was starting with raw potatoes, and all the starches come out in the cooking process and make a gooey mess. Well, that it did. She suggested that I need to cook the potatoes first, cool them then shred them. I haven't tried that yet, so I don't know. Seems like they would want to crumble up unless they were really cold during the shredding process.
Love the Lorax

I use leftover baked potatoes

Postby SarahJ » Mon Nov 26, 2007 4:20 pm

I break/cut them into small chunks. (They are cold from the fridge.) It works fairly well for me. It's only a little messy. I think they are delicious cooked this way.
SarahJ

Postby Eppy » Thu Nov 29, 2007 8:09 am

Use left over potatoes from the night before and just cut them up a bit. A non stick pan helps too.

Congrats, Nettie!!!!! I can't wait to see your Star McDougaller story too!!!!
Eppy

Postby Nettie » Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:41 am

Eppy wrote:Congrats, Nettie!!!!! I can't wait to see your Star McDougaller story too!!!!

Dr. McD emailed me and asked me to submit my story for Star McDougallers. I'm not sure when I can get to it. And then there may be many others in front of me, so it could be a while before (if) it's published. But it gives me much pleasure to encourage and motivate others. It's one of my missions in life to convert people from their SAD way of eating!
Nettie
Nettie

Postby Clary » Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:53 am

Nettie wrote: ...But it gives me much pleasure to encourage and motivate others. It's one of my missions in life to convert people from their SAD way of eating!
Nettie

You are doing a great job of encouraging, motivating, and converting, right here on the board. :nod: Thanks so much for sharing your on-going journey.
Clary

Postby Jackie J » Fri Nov 30, 2007 1:12 am

Congratulations, Nettie. You write really well so it will be such a pleasure to read your inspirational story on the Star McDougaller site in your own well crafted words.
Jackie J

Postby Rita » Sat Dec 01, 2007 8:47 am

Nettie, my recommendation would be to just sit down and write it. I was asked several years ago to submit mine. I never did so because I have a hang up about not being able to write well. But you certainly do a great job of articulating and motivating. The world is waiting to hear your magnificent story. So, as Jeff Foxworthy says, hoping you'll 'git er done'.
Rita

Postby Love the Lorax » Sat Dec 01, 2007 9:05 am

Nettie wrote:
Eppy wrote:Congrats, Nettie!!!!! I can't wait to see your Star McDougaller story too!!!!

Dr. McD emailed me and asked me to submit my story for Star McDougallers. I'm not sure when I can get to it. And then there may be many others in front of me, so it could be a while before (if) it's published. But it gives me much pleasure to encourage and motivate others. It's one of my missions in life to convert people from their SAD way of eating!
Nettie

Oh Nettie - do it!! Just 10 minutes or so at a time over a week or two and you could have it done, after all - you find a few minutes to post here and you have been SUCH an inspiration to all of us! I have read over the Star McDougallers many a time when getting frustrated, and I'm sure many other have also. You know, I would say on these boards the most of us already believe in a low fat, vegan diet - preaching to the choir. Someone just checking into McDougalling might not come here to the boards, but would end up at the main web site and see the Star McDougallers link, so you would likely reach more people if you write it up.
Love the Lorax

PreviousNext

Return to Testimonials and Success Stories