Two Months - 280 > 240 pounds

Share your McDougall successes here in order to inspire others.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Two Months - 280 > 240 pounds

Postby tombracken » Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:57 am

Full disclosure - this is my 3rd go with McD eating. For some reason - even though I feel GREAT while I am on it - I succumb to peer and family pressure and wander back into the SAD world and regain the weight and the sluggishness. I am 63 yr old male with borderline BP and high triglycerides. Getting those checked on Tuesday to see what may have changed. Taking meds for both. I was impressed while reading recently in the Starch Book about why not just say "NO, I don't eat that way anymore" and I have not for 2 months. Eating a lot of food and just now feeling like exercising - so things should get even better now. Two miles walking every day this week and then adding some biking and swimming and weight training after that. Would appreciate advice on dealing with family and friends diplomatically and lovingly.
Tom in Pennsylvania
tombracken

Re: Two Months - 280 > 240 pounds

Postby nicoles » Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:52 pm

That's wonderful, Tom! Very happy for you!!

When you ask for advice on diplomatic and loving ways to deal with family, which circumstances do you mean? People pushing food?
Tough times don't last, tough people do

Read the results of my journey here: Nicole S. O'Shea vs. Psoriatic Arthritis

My Journal
nicoles

Postby tombracken » Sat Aug 30, 2014 2:51 pm

Thanks Lynn
Great counsel. I appreciate it. I have shared this website when asked, and some have found interest. It seems some folks are angered by me choosing a different approach to eating. I guess just shrugging off their anger and being self-contained is best. I have been fortunate that during my SAD years I developed no severe diagnosable conditions. Remain hopeful that i can rebuild any damage done at this point. I think most people can't accept the burden of truth about our current system of foods (SAD), fools (us), and farces (doctors & hospitals). It is truly a sadness. So much potential, but the dollar has control.
Tom in Pennsylvania
tombracken

Postby howardt » Sun Sep 07, 2014 2:05 pm

Hi Tom. Congratulations on the weight loss, and for having the resilience to come back to the plan. :-D

As regards peer/family pressure, I find it helps to remember that they don't understand the connection between food and health. If they think about it at all, they think excess weight comes from eating too much of a good thing. Unless they've gotten the education you have, they have no idea.

So when they pressure you, they may have your interests at heart, but they don't know the food they want you to eat hurts them and hurts you.

My suggestion is to prepare your own food, share it with them if they are interested. Tell them you are eating this way for your health, and if they continue to pressure you refer them to one of the McDougall books. I haven't had anyone bug me beyond that.

I think my family expected me to quit and go back to the old food. Once months went by and I stuck with it, they just accepted it. I've been on the plan for about a year and 4 months. There's not much comment anymore.
Let's go invent tomorrow, rather than worrying about what happened yesterday.
-- Steve Jobs
howardt

Postby cndkrick » Sun Sep 07, 2014 7:11 pm

Tom, I find the reason people get angry is not at you, per-say. But for whatever reason, they conjure it up in their head that you are implying that their WOE is insufficient and viewed as "not good enough". It's at best funny.... but really just plain sad.
I found this to be true whenever I started feeding my animals raw food. If I talked about it, ppl got angry because they thought I was saying their kibble wasn't good enough. Oddly enough it carries into this WOE too.
Whatever, I just don't share unless people truly want to know and aren't just trying to be asses about it.
cndkrick

Return to Testimonials and Success Stories