A success story in progress

Share your McDougall successes here in order to inspire others.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

A success story in progress

Postby starchimoreplease » Sat Jul 19, 2014 12:52 am

Hello All,

My name is Ben. I am a 7-month Mcdougaller with a success story that is currently in progress. I will give a brief intro and will write more once I hit my goal weight.

I have been a vegetarian since 2009 but have not been a very healthy one. I used to eat a lot of cheese, fried food, sweets etc. Back in 2011 I went to a 5-day immersion sponsored by my employer, Whole Foods Market. My life had changed after that immersion, but after losing 30 pounds, I became overwhelmed in life and started making unhealthy choices once more. Needless to say, i gained the weight back... and then some.
After a few more years of feeling miserable, a co-worker/friend came back from an immersion program put on by another doctor. I was once again inspired and decided to hop back on board.
On day one, I could feel my body react differently to the change of fuel. I felt lighter once more, less groggy. It was the first day in years that I did not have to nap mid-day.

7 months later, I am 90 pounds lighter. I feel fantastic. I have a lot of energy, I sweat less, my breath is always pleasant, I need less sleep.... did I mention that I feel fantastic?

I have boundless gratitude to John Mackey,Dr. McDougall, and everyone who has posted here to give me support and motivation.
starchimoreplease

Re: A success story in progress

Postby geo » Sat Jul 19, 2014 4:50 am

Hey Ben! Great work on the weightloss. You look completely different now! You are on your way to being another star on here :-D

Stay the course and the world is yours...
geo

My 1 year Journal McDougalling and results Testimonial
My March 2013 Star McDougaller Story
Some Random Thoughts on Successful McDougalling
geo

Postby Caroveggie » Sat Jul 19, 2014 6:05 am

Hey congrats! You are looking good! Do you mind sharing some of your favorite meals/what you eat? Good luck on your continued success. :-D
Caroveggie

Postby Melinda » Sat Jul 19, 2014 11:21 am

Awesome Ben - way to go! It is always so affirming to read these success stories! I am so used to feeling good, it is easy to forget how food can make you feel bad! About a month ago, I had to take food to a group of women that I get together with, and felt lazy, so I bought some tortilla chips and guacamole. Well, I brought the leftovers home, and my husband and I ate the rest. I felt SO SICK the rest of that day and the next - what a good wakeup call!
Melinda

Postby eri » Sat Jul 19, 2014 6:20 pm

Well done!
eri

Postby starchimoreplease » Sun Jul 20, 2014 12:29 am

Hello Everyone and thank you for the wonderful comments!

Let me say that the "before" photo was not my starting weight, which was 20 pounds heavier.

Starting weight: 355
Current weight: 260-270 (havent weighed myself in a while)
Goal: 220

Yes, My goal weight seems rather high, but I have a large build as well as a good amount of muscle hidden beneath the fat.

I play tennis at least once, if not several times a week. It's my favorite sport and workout.

I go to the gym to increase the rapidity of the weightloss, but I lose weight even without working out. My gym regimen is a 40-minute brisk walk on the treadmill 3-4 times a week and that's it (unless I'm playing tennis that day).

Tennis is tough on the arms and legs. Running after the ball is tough on the knees but builds muscle.

I eat brown rice pretty much daily. It is my go-to starch only because I can quickly and easily heat frozen brown rice on the stove. I will flavor the rice and some canned beans for tacos made with minimally processed corn tortillas, salsa, lettuce, and sometimes avocado. I love making stir fry in vegetable stock. I'm a quarter italian and was raised on pasta. Now I use whole wheat and no dairy/oil in my sauce, but it surely is delicious. I LOVE mashed potatoes with almond milk and seasonings to taste. I used to make chili once a week and roasted my own peppers but haven't done it in a while.
Working at Whole Foods, there is a plethora of healthy foods available to me. I typically bring my own starch to work and make a salad at the salad bar. Im crazy about McDougall's maple oatmeal. I do drink juice from time to time.

Once again, Thank you for the love and support. I'd love you to post your own personal stories or perhaps paste a link to you post?
starchimoreplease

Postby healthyvegan » Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:06 am

I've always wanted to hear from someone who works at Whole Foods who took advantage of the immersion programs! Thank you so much for sharing your journey! What are your favorite Whole Foods healthy finds? My fav thing is to make a veggie sandwich at the sandwich bar and just pile on every green/veggie they've got.
mrmrsvegan.com free whole starch low fat cookbook #wslf
healthyvegan

Postby frostygirl » Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:32 am

Congrats Ben, your looking amazing. Keep it up you give all of us newbies inspiration!
frostygirl

Postby John McDougall » Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:30 pm

Amazing - thanks for posting Ben.

It takes time to open our eyes, but once you can see it then there is no stopping.

John McDougall, MD
John McDougall
Site Admin

Postby chewy » Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:36 pm

congratulations ben! you look fantastic!
chewy

Postby greentea » Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:06 pm

Congrats Ben, thanks for sharing your story. You look amazing!!!
greentea

Postby Lesliec1 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:20 am

Wow, you look amazing! Your food sounds awesome too. Simple but not bland. What more do you need?

I am always impressed when someone who's not sick has your kind of determination.

The employees at my Whole Foods always seem happy so it must be an enjoyable place to work.
Lesliec1

Postby Lizzy_F » Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:13 pm

Hi Ben! Thank you so much for sharing your story. What an inspiration! Congratulations on your success, and best wishes to you on your continued journey. I am still struggling to achieve "time and adherence." It is a great help to know that others are able to achieve it. If you can do it, maybe I can too. :)
Beth

"Long-term sustainable change is what we are really after." ~Jeff Novick
Lizzy_F

Postby ETeSelle » Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:27 am

Congrats! That's great progress. :) Keep on keepin' on!
Elizabeth
Weight now: 124 (20.0 BMI)
Weight in 2010: 207 (33.4 BMI)
Star McDougaller Story
Testimonial thread

Trust me on this: One day you'll wake up and realize that it no longer feels like "being strict." It just feels GOOD. :)
ETeSelle

Postby risarisa » Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:22 am

Congrats Ben, thanks for sharing your story. You look amazing! Keep up the good work.
“If you always do what you've always done, you’ll always get what you've always got.”
So what are you doing to change!

risarisa

Next

Return to Testimonials and Success Stories