RA Keeps Getting Better

Share your McDougall successes here in order to inspire others.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

RA Keeps Getting Better

Postby Lesliec1 » Fri Jul 04, 2014 7:52 am

I just changed my profile photo. Look, I'm on a boat! For the last 3 or so years, I was too crippled to go on my brother-in-law's boat. Hard to believe but true. You think, 'Jeez, how hard is it to sit on a boat?' Well, you have to get ON the boat and I was too crippled to do that. You also have to leave the house in the first place, which I rarely did.

My success story came out a while ago (see link at bottom) but it was never posted in this section so I thought I'd put it here for reference.

I'm still basking in the miracle of being re-born. Every single month I realize I'm doing an activity that I haven't done in a long time like walking around a museum for half a day or digging a trench on the side of the house.

The only downside is that my husband stopped saying nice things like, "I'll drop you off in front and go park the car."
Lesliec1

Re: RA Keeps Getting Better

Postby Spiral » Fri Jul 04, 2014 9:08 am

Leslie, that is awesome. I told my wife, who has RA but doesn't have severe symptoms of it at this point, about your signature line. "In this corner . . . . . . loser gets a wheelchair."

I mentioned it to her just because I think it's the most clever signature line among the entire group here at the McDougall forum. But also because I wanted my wife to hear the contrast: Living a great life on the one hand with the McDougall diet versus being confined to a wheelchair with the Standard American Diet. Of course, my expectations are very low these days. My wife smiled and thought the signature line was "cute" (or whatever she said), but she doesn't budge from her way of eating one bit.

Yesterday I purchased some almond milk which is a bit high in sodium and sugar (I shouldn't have purchased it.) I did have some of it this morning. But later when my wife was having some and commented how good it tasted, I mentioned that when I am at the grocery store, I am always thinking to myself, "Would Jeff Novick approve of this? Let's see if this meets Jeff Novick's recommendations on sodium and/or sugar."

My wife says to me, "You need to get those thoughts out of your mind. In my world, Jeff Novick is in jail and I have swallowed the key, which is made of sugar and salt." She smiled. I sort of chuckled along with her, familiar with the fact that her mentality regarding eating is so different from mine.

Then, about 30 minutes later, I stumble on your new picture of your self and this testimonial. I look forward to a day when my wife, not me, is the one reading up on all of your comments on this board. Hope springs eternal.

Thanks for the update though. Your hard work is paying off. Your testimony is another reminder that even though we McDougallers are rare birds and odd ducks, it is we who are being smart. It's okay to be out of the mainstream.
Spiral

Postby nicoles » Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:18 pm

That's so wonderful, Leslie! Great photo, too. You look very happy. :)

Spiral, that is rough. I am hoping your wife changes her opinion eventually.
Tough times don't last, tough people do

Read the results of my journey here: Nicole S. O'Shea vs. Psoriatic Arthritis

My Journal
nicoles

Postby viv » Fri Jul 04, 2014 2:22 pm

Many congratulations Leslie!

You look fabulous in the photo and yes, you made it happen! I wish you many years of good health and happiness.

Viv
5'8", Started March 2013
Starting weight: 217
Current weight: 157
60lbs gone--for good!
viv

Postby Lesliec1 » Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:18 pm

Thanks to all of you! You all helped me so much!
Lesliec1

Return to Testimonials and Success Stories