What made these people lose weight at double the rate?

Share your McDougall successes here in order to inspire others.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

What made these people lose weight at double the rate?

Postby fitandraw » Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:49 am

Hi,

I've done a short analysis of people who posted success stories on the http://www.forksoverknives.comwebsite.

I came to conclusion that most of these people adopted a raw food diet and ended up losing weight on average at a rate of 4.73 lbs/month.

However, there were those who lost weight at an astonishing rate, on average at a rate of 12.03 lbs/month.

The statistics are laid out below. It's in Excel so it's hard to make it look nice on the post.

My question to everyone is very simple:

What made these people lose weight at nearly double the normal rate of weight loss for people who adopt this lifestyle?

I've already thought of a few reasons, mainly that they started exercising more and reducing stress...but don't know for sure.

Please post your answers below.

Name Duration on diet (months) -Weight lost (lbs) Weight Loss Rate (lbs)
Mark Pro 6 -15 2.50
Andrew Chong 24 -75 3.13
Pamula Mary Klapp 12 -45 3.75
James Dyer 53 -225 4.25
Brandon Frye 7 -30 4.29
Crystal Burman 8 -38 4.75
Erin Finley 2.5 -12 4.80
Lynn Dixon Dean 2.5 -12 4.80
Ashley Chong 24 -125 5.21
Darren Spicer 1.5 -8 5.33
John Dempsey 26 -150 5.77
Craig Greene 8 -50 6.25
Kathy Edwards Fay 6 -40 6.67
AVERAGE WEIGHT LOSS PER MONTH: 4.73

Name Duration on diet (months) -Weight lost (lbs) Weight Loss Rate (lbs)
Kaz Spence 4 -37 9.25
Cathly Barlow 4 -38 9.50
Mary Pohl 1 -10 10.00
Joe Morales 6 -65 10.83
Ruth Hughes 6 -70 11.67
Maddie Lading 1 -12 12.00
GW Bell 7 -100 14.29
Jon Bergman 12 -180 15.00
Ivan Mejia 4 -63 15.75
AVERAGE WEIGHT LOSS PER MONTH: 12.03
fitandraw

Re: What made these people lose weight at double the rate?

Postby Tanasis » Sun Jun 29, 2014 7:59 am

Honestly it feels to me like they just balanced their greens and starches together - this as well as exercise, of course. Then again, everyone has different metabolic rates, and some people can be naturally more sedimentary than others because of their type of work.

Either way, amazing job to these guys - they are awesome.
Tanasis

Postby Risto » Sat Jul 05, 2014 9:09 am

Tanasis wrote: some people can be naturally more sedimentary than others

I think you want "sedentary". Sometimes I do feel like a piece of sediment, though.

The weight loss numbers should probably be looked at in proportion to the size of the body, i.e. expressed as BMIs or something. I don't doubt that there's a difference in diet and exercise between the two groups listed, but even so, bigger bodies (lots of overweight or just tall) go through bigger changes in absolute measures.
Risto

Postby Tanasis » Sun Jul 06, 2014 12:48 am

Risto wrote:
Tanasis wrote: some people can be naturally more sedimentary than others

I think you want "sedentary". Sometimes I do feel like a piece of sediment, though.

The weight loss numbers should probably be looked at in proportion to the size of the body, i.e. expressed as BMIs or something. I don't doubt that there's a difference in diet and exercise between the two groups listed, but even so, bigger bodies (lots of overweight or just tall) go through bigger changes in absolute measures.

Sedentary! I can speak, I swear!

Now that you mention it, I'm sure it also depends on how close they are to a whole foods lifestyle. The difference could be between eating either whole wheat bread or simple Potatoes, as most people's bodies react differently to both Just a thought that popped up while watching this the other day. Doug Lisle brings up the idea that some people's bodies are just more accustomed to a naturalistic way of eating rather than a processed-everything way of eating. (You'd have to watch it to know what I mean). Something to mull on, maybe?
Tanasis

Postby Healthy4life! » Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:22 am

I highly commend you for this comprehensive analysis! Being in healthcare and understanding the physiological make up of the human body especially during the weight loss state, this maybe correct, but may not apply to all individuals. As our bodies respond differently during the period of weight loss. I for one, was 140-141 prior a plant based diet. A female, 5 FT. 8 inches, didn't have much to lose. Within less than 6 weeks of eating cooked veggies and starches, without calorie restriction and walking less than 5 miles a week, I now weigh 124 and still losing.
Although your theory may be correct, but we have to put into consideration that our bodies respond differently :)
Hope
Healthy4life!

Return to Testimonials and Success Stories