Star McDougall Story by Linda Middlesworth

Share your McDougall successes here in order to inspire others.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Star McDougall Story by Linda Middlesworth

Postby JeffN » Sun May 25, 2014 6:49 am

(NOTE: I am posting this for Linda.- JeffN}

Star McDougall Story
by Linda Middlesworth

As I reflect now on my life, I cannot believe that I used to smoke but I did for many years starting at 17. Wine with dinner was the norm. Having lived in Germany and Austria for almost 2 years, I even learned to eat wienerschnitzel (baby veal cows)! I ate beef, chicken, pork, cheese and eggs.

I love to cook and read cookbooks, especially my vegetarian ones. Eventually, I felt, deep down in my heart, that there was something wrong with eating cows, pigs, and chickens. I switched to fish, eggs and dairy only. I was so proud of my cheese pizzas. I was a pretty good mom since I home cooked “optimal” food for my family!

About age 42, a doctor in Davis told me I had a cancerous tumor on my thyroid and he would have to remove it. Like anyone with a cancer diagnosis, I was frightened. I did not want surgery so I found another doctor who said he would radiate it. He added, that to be sure, removal would be the safest but I opted for radiation treatment.

I did not want surgery as I had a golf ball size tumor removed from my left breast earlier. It was non cancerous but the surgeon did a terrible job leaving me scarred and infected. I remember asking that doctor if I was eating anything that would cause this tumor and he said no.

Leaving my degree in German Language and Literature and my Graphic Design business behind, I switched careers midlife to Aerobic Instructor/Personal Trainer and moved to Sacramento. I had always been athletic and biked, ran a few marathons, and took aerobic classes. At age 46, I was a fat aerobic instructor with about 45 lbs. extra! I just bought larger, size 16 clothes. I ignored the weekly chest pains. I began to hate running because my breasts hurt too much.

Fortunately, my new neighbor told me that I could get rid of my health issues if I looked up Dr. John McDougall. I read the 12 Day Program all the next day and into the wee hours. Everything I read made perfect, logical sense. I liked how Dr. McDougall explained his own health journey. I admired his standing up to the established medical business. He took a big risk by writing and speaking about the truthful knowledge that our food choices are the key to optimal health, not the pills and surgery. You cannot patent plants so no one can profit!

I jumped into his diet plan with Mary’s recipes. I was not perfect and, after losing about 25 lbs, the last 20 remained! I was still eating added oils when eating out. I knew I had to make a change. I started reading Star McDougallers on his website and was inspired to take out ALL added oils. I lost the next 20 lbs. within 2 months.

This weight loss did not last long because I put cashew cheese on everything! Ten of the 20 lbs. came right back! I had to get serious.

Inspired by both Chef AJ’s weight loss, and watching Jeff Novick ‘s DVD on “Nuts and Oils”, I jumped back into the Starchivore diet plan minus addictive nuts. The last 10 lbs. melted off. Wine is gone now except for a tiny bit on my birthday. I use just a little bit of tahini for salad dressings and hummus. I eat my chia or flax seeds everyday. I eat about 12 potatoes per day as well as brown rice, beans, lentils, peas, corn and I am never hungry! I also eat piles of cooked green and yellow veggies everyday and I even like all my food plain now and do not even need sauces! I save oil free sauces for company.

I am an ethical vegan and unfortunately, most of my ethical vegan friends are not healthy eaters! To help them and others transition to a healthy vegan life, I became a Food for Life Nutrition and Cooking Instructor, PCRM, and completed the Cornell Plant Based and the Starch Solution Certifications. Now I help coach people and The Starch Solution is our guide.

I wish I could have known years ago what I know at age 70. I did not have to have chest pains, have sore breasts from excess estrogen, have a lumpectomy, be obese or have thyroid cancer! Not one doctor ever told me how to help myself. I never realized that dairy is the most statistically significant carcinogenic of our time and that we can get all our calcium needs met by eating greens and beans! Not one doctor told me that my food choices were making me fat and sick. I encourage all to jump into the McDougall program and let your body heal. Prevent the fat and sick life or do what I did….become a perfect Starchivore and heal yourself. I credit Dr. John and Mary McDougall for saving my life and now I “feel like” a joyous, happy, 25 year old!

Linda Middlesworth,
Cancer Project, Food for Life Instructor
Certified Personal Trainer/Aerobic Instructor
Certified Plant Nutrition, Cornell University
JeffN

Re: Star McDougall Story by Linda Middlesworth

Postby f1jim » Sun May 25, 2014 10:34 am

Congratulations Linda on your successful search for good health. Like all of us, you found that your most difficult obstacle was yourself. Get that obstacle out of the way and it's clear sailing!
Thanks Jeff for posting this.
f1jim
While adopting this diet and lifestyle program I have reversed my heart disease, high cholesterol, hypertension, and lost 54 lbs. You can follow my story at https://www.drmcdougall.com/james-brown/
f1jim

Postby viv » Sun May 25, 2014 4:19 pm

Many congratulations Linda! Are you really 70? You look fabulous! I am on my last 20 lbs and you have inspired me!

Best wishes for a long and happy rest of your life.

Viv
5'8", Started March 2013
Starting weight: 217
Current weight: 157
60lbs gone--for good!
viv

Postby kalehi » Wed May 28, 2014 11:38 pm

Are you kidding? You can't possibly be 70!

Thank you so much for sharing your story and posting the pictures. You are something special!
kalehi

Postby eXtremE » Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:47 am

I was wondering the same thing. The picture on the right certainly does not look like a 70 year old. Congrats.
On 7/8/2013, I decided to change my diet to a "mostly" WFPB diet. I have always been somewhat lean and muscular due to being a lifelong exerciser. Change in diet due to feeling crummy all the time despite a healthy outward appearance. Image
eXtremE

Postby OOnaOwl » Sat Jun 07, 2014 12:37 am

Wow! Fantastic success is yours! Very inspiring, thank you for sharing your story. Bless!
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wAKnwyn/]

"Fall down seven times, stand up eight" -Japanese proverb
OOnaOwl

Postby smudgemom » Sun Jun 08, 2014 10:41 am

I'm like everyone else..70 yrs old???? Dammmmmmmm, girl. *Snap!*. Good work! :-D
smudgemom

Postby catdot » Sat Aug 02, 2014 9:21 pm

WELL I GOTTA POST MY "ARE YOU REALLY 70?" COMMENT!!! NOW I KNOW I'M GONNA DO THIS!!!
catdot

Postby darad » Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:37 pm

Lucky you, to have discovered Dr McDougall twenty-four years ago! Maybe helps your xlent appearance at 70! Me? Going on four years this November via McDougall. Wish I'd discovered when you did, but my doc's knew zero. :D
darad

Postby asad ali » Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:22 am

very nice post
asad ali

Postby erin » Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:18 pm

truly inspiring :)
erin

Postby Lyndahh » Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:43 am

I am blown away...truly.
What an inspiration. A few days ago I was 67, and discovered Dr McDougall and Starch and plant based back in June this year.
I wish wish wish I had found it years ago. After major cancer surgery 1 year ago I never want to experience what I went through again, I am therefore committed to this program. I do not want CT Scans every 4 months when I go for my checks, so I am changing my life!
You have given me what I needed and I truly thank you.
70....unbelievable!!
Lynda
Lyndahh

Postby figpiglet » Fri Oct 03, 2014 9:27 am

Thank you for your story. It gives me hope. I have waffled around for so long this last year. That has kept me gaining more and more. I truly feel uplifted and inspired so thank you. Jen
figpiglet

Return to Testimonials and Success Stories