48 Year Stuggle FINALLY Over!

Share your McDougall successes here in order to inspire others.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

48 Year Stuggle FINALLY Over!

Postby Christopher » Thu May 22, 2014 12:03 pm

I was what I thought to be a normal kid. Father was a doctor and we were well nourished. My mother was an incredible cook and provided an array of ethic delights. We dined in restaurants and at home and only on rare occasions did we have a Drive-Thru Hamburger or French Fries.

I loved the Pleasure of Food!

By age nine, I remember no longer being able to wear normal kids clothes and having to hear a brand called “HUSKY” . It was then, at the age 9, I was put on my first diet, The Metracal and Sego Diet Plan

I began at an early age riding the roller coaster well and became obsessed with the scale and searched for a magic bullet that would make me have a Normal body. I could not understand what was wrong with me because I was always so hungry. I had every medical test imaginable hoping something would be wrong to explain why I was this way. When I was scolded by my parents not to eat so much, I became a Secret Eater. I would walk to the kitchen and make a sandwich and put it in a book and try to sneak it to my room. I had other techniques as well.

The truth is that when I would eat, I assumed people were looking at me and thinking “He really should not be eating that. When I arrive home to visit my parents, there was always the visit to the medical scale for a weigh in and then the lecture. My parents were loving and just wanted me to be I good health.

At one point in my life, in my early 20s, I did manage to lose 75 pounds by eating minimally, took up smoking, abused laxatives and swallowed wet cotton balls in order to dull the hunger pains. A good friend finally pulled me aside and shared that I did not look good at all. I had sores in my mouth, dark circles around my eyes and incredibly weak. I concluded that there was NOT a healthy fit man inside but rather a fat slob screaming LEAVE ME ALONE!

I always kept three sets of clothes, , THIN clothes, my Fat clothes and then a set I referred to as my OMG clothes.
My “tipping point” occurred when I went to a medical clinic in Spain, and I instructed the nurse that we need to take my blood pressure before my weight. She refused saying that isn’t how we do it,,, ALSO she had my height way off and then she gave the tsk tsk and mumbled something about being OBESE. Then she took my blood pressure. You can imagine, it was off the charts! I had walked into this clinic feeling I was a healthy normal guy and was leaving an OBESE midget about to explode from high blood pressure. I now had a prescription for Blood Pressure medication and instructions that I would have to take these the rest of my life. The doctor smiled and said OH I KNOW, IT IS SO HARD.

Blood Pressure medications have side effects which, lowers blood pressure! Men in particular have occasions where they would like a little pressure from Hemo the Magnificent! I wanted off the meds and get healthy.
I began snoring loudly at night, huffing and puffing to get around and would break out into a sweat just from thinking! I remember my 90 year old father being worried that I would die before he did!

After tremendous research on the internet there was one Doctor I continued to return to. This was Dr. Mc Dougall! I really didn’t think it was going to work and particular that I could eat ALL I wanted of allowable foods and that my blood pressure would drop down to normal in 12 days. I decided to give this one a go and try for just 12 days.

On day 12, my blood pressure went from 150/100 to 120/70. In 12 days. I stopped taking Blood Pressure medication. I also had lost 3 kilo yet I was eating whenever I wanted, seconds or even thirds! In about a week, one morning I got to see a friend who I had not seen in a very long time! WELL HELLO THERE!

18 Months into the Starch Solution, I have lost 28 Kilos over 60 pounds! Cholesterol level is 130. Morning aches and pains that I thought were normal are now gone. I am sleeping better than ever and I have been told that I no longer snore! My sloth like life has changed to working out at the gym and getting outside and enjoying life! Now instead of the dread of the scale, I am focused on body fat percentage which is currently at 23%. The biggest challenge has been getting clothes! I even had to buy new underwear because they were too big!

Anyone who wonders if this lifestyle works it does AND you can make it work in any situation. I just returned from a 20 day cruise and was able to request non-fat vegan meals. I didn’t gain weight! Now when friends or family pester me to eat “just a little cheese” I can just ask them, “Would you ask me to just have a little shot of vodka if I was an alcoholic? If I eat that little piece of cheese, I will get cocky and next thing you know I can undo all this!

At 58 years old I am finally enjoying life for the first time!

Thank you Dr. Mc Dougall
Last edited by Christopher on Thu May 22, 2014 1:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Christopher

Re: 48 Year Stuggle FINALLY Over!

Postby geo » Thu May 22, 2014 12:22 pm

Congrats Christopher on the great results! just imagine what the next 18 months will bring :D
geo

My 1 year Journal McDougalling and results Testimonial
My March 2013 Star McDougaller Story
Some Random Thoughts on Successful McDougalling
geo

Postby openmind » Thu May 22, 2014 1:09 pm

Christopher wrote:I was what I thought to be a normal kid. Father was a doctor and we were well nourished. My mother was an incredible cook and provided an array of ethic delights. We dined in restaurants and at home and only on rare occasions did we have a Drive-Thru Hamburger or French Fries.

I loved the Pleasure of Food!

By age nine, I remember no longer being able to wear normal kids clothes and having to hear a brand called “HUSKY” . It was then, at the age 9, I was put on my first diet, The Metracal and Sego Diet Plan

I began at an early age riding the roller coaster well and became obsessed with the scale and searched for a magic bullet that would make me have a Normal body. I could not understand what was wrong with me because I was always so hungry. I had every medical test imaginable hoping something would be wrong to explain why I was this way. When I was scolded by my parents not to eat so much, I became a Secret Eater. I would walk to the kitchen and make a sandwich and put it in a book and try to sneak it to my room. I had other techniques as well.

The truth is that when I would eat, I assumed people were looking at me and thinking “He really should not be eating that. When I arrive home to visit my parents, there was always the visit to the medical scale for a weigh in and then the lecture. My parents were loving and just wanted me to be I good health.

At one point in my life, in my early 20s, I did manage to lose 75 pounds by eating minimally, took up smoking, abused laxatives and swallowed wet cotton balls in order to dull the hunger pains. A good friend finally pulled me aside and shared that I did not look good at all. I had sores in my mouth, dark circles around my eyes and incredibly weak. I concluded that there was NOT a healthy fit man inside but rather a fat slob screaming LEAVE ME ALONE!

I always kept three sets of clothes, , THIN clothes, my Fat clothes and then a set I referred to as my OMG clothes.
My “tipping point” occurred when I went to a medical clinic in Spain, and I instructed the nurse that we need to take my blood pressure before my weight. She refused saying that isn’t how we do it,,, ALSO she had my height way off and then she gave the tsk tsk and mumbled something about being OBESE. Then she took my blood pressure. You can imagine, it was off the charts! I had walked into this clinic feeling I was a healthy normal guy and was leaving an OBESE midget about to explode from high blood pressure. I now had a prescription for Blood Pressure medication and instructions that I would have to take these the rest of my life. The doctor smiled and said OH I KNOW, IT IS SO HARD.

Blood Pressure medications have side effects which, lowers blood pressure! Men in particular have occasions where they would like a little pressure from Hemo the Magnificent! I wanted off the meds and get healthy.
I began snoring loudly at night, huffing and puffing to get around and would break out into a sweat just from thinking! I remember my 90 year old father being worried that I would die before he did!

After tremendous research on the internet there was one Doctor I continued to return to. This was Dr. Mc Dougall! I really didn’t think it was going to work and particular that I could eat ALL I wanted of allowable foods and that my blood pressure would drop down to normal in 12 days. I decided to give this one a go and try for just 12 days.

On day 12, my blood pressure went from 150/100 to 120/70. In 12 days. I stopped taking Blood Pressure medication. I also had lost 3 kilo yet I was eating whenever I wanted, seconds or even thirds! In about a week, one morning I got to see a friend who I had not seen in a very long time! WELL HELLO THERE!

18 Months into the Starch Solution, I have lost 28 Kilos over 60 pounds! Cholesterol level is 130. Morning aches and pains that I thought were normal are now gone. I am sleeping better than ever and I have been told that I no longer snore! My sloth like life has changed to working out at the gym and getting outside and enjoying life! Now instead of the dread of the scale, I am focused on body fat percentage which is currently at 23%. The biggest challenge has been getting clothes! I even had to buy new underwear because they were too big!

Anyone who wonders if this lifestyle works it does AND you can make it work in any situation. I just returned from a 20 day cruise and was able to request non-fat vegan meals. I didn’t gain weight! Now when friends or family pester me to eat “just a little cheese” I can just ask them, “Would you ask me to just have a little shit of vodka of I was an alcoholic? If I eat that little piece of cheese, I will get cocky and next thing you know I can undo all this!

At 58 years old I am finally enjoying life for the first time!

Thank you Dr. Mc Dougall

congratulations! How did you handle things with the cruise line? did you tell them about your dietary needs ahead of time, or did you just relay the info to the waiter at the table for every meal?
openmind

Postby Daydream » Thu May 22, 2014 7:34 pm

Congratulations! Your story is wonderful. :)
Daydream

Postby Primrose » Fri May 23, 2014 9:07 pm

Well done. Thanks for sharing :D
Primrose

Postby John McDougall » Sat May 24, 2014 5:38 pm

Thank you for sharing.

Amazing the power of the kind, rather than the amount, of food we choose to eat.

John McDougall, MD
John McDougall
Site Admin

Postby JOJO1947 » Sat May 24, 2014 6:14 pm

Big kudos to you Christopher. Hunger is terrible and that's why this plan works and is sustainable. Keep up the good work! JoAnn
JOJO1947

Postby kalehi » Wed May 28, 2014 11:49 pm

Thank you for sharing your experience! What a great example of the healing powers of this way of living! Also, you validate that it is not always easy, but it is totally possible to do this.
kalehi

Postby sjsilver » Thu May 29, 2014 8:46 pm

Congratulations Christopher, I really enjoyed your story. I could relate to your feelings of desperation, wanting to lose weight. Even if it damaged your health. People that have never had weight problems just don't understand what we go through. Keep up the good work.
sjsilver

Postby pinemeadows » Fri May 30, 2014 4:11 am

Good for you! There was a fork in the road, and you chose the right path - your life will never be the same!

Really enjoyed your story - good sense of humor! Please continue to post.
pinemeadows

Postby Veganesque » Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:04 am

Very inspirational!
Veganesque

Postby Don Stewart » Fri Jul 04, 2014 4:50 am

Yes, very inspirational! Thanks for posting this..
Don Stewart

Postby catdot » Sat Aug 02, 2014 9:10 pm

Amazing story! Congrats to you!!!
catdot

Return to Testimonials and Success Stories