Ongoing Progress or Plateau?

Share your McDougall successes here in order to inspire others.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Ongoing Progress or Plateau?

Postby FakeCanadian » Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:44 pm

I began Esselstyn's recommended diet August 05, 2012, so nearly 19 months ago now. Like many of you, I experienced tremendous improvements the first few months--lost 20 lbs (12% of my body weight), LDL crashed, etc. I haven't had any blood tests for a bit now, but over the past 30 days or so, I seem to be feeling even better, mainly with respect to clarity of mind, energy level, and mood. This is surprising me, as I had assumed I'd more or less booked the benefits of WFPB eating and had reached a plateau. Now I'm wondering if others have experienced similar benefits many months or years after beginning WFPB eating and possibly due to the diet.

Confounding factor: I adopted WFPB because I learned in July 2012 that I have severe heart disease. At age 55 I had a 4X CABG October 2012. I wonder also if recovery from this rather extreme surgery can be ongoing for this long and perhaps I'm just feeling better because I'm still healing, physically and psychologically.

Or maybe it's just spring sunshine? :)
FakeCanadian

Re: Ongoing Progress or Plateau?

Postby viv » Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:08 pm

This is a terrific post and I'm sure many McDougallers would like to read and comment on it. Maybe it's a good idea to post this in the Lounge, where more people with similar experiences will see it.

I started McDougalling just over a year ago, I've lost weight and regained my health after severe inflammation in the joints. Into my second year I feel even better. Eating this way is affirmation that I am doing right by me and the planet. These feelings don't go away, I think part of feeling good is I am just so grateful on a daily basis to have at last found the holy grail.

Viv
5'8", Started March 2013
Starting weight: 217
Current weight: 157
60lbs gone--for good!
viv

Postby baardmk » Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:22 am

viv wrote: These feelings don't go away, I think part of feeling good is I am just so grateful on a daily basis to have at last found the holy grail.

Well said! I feel much of the same.

Thanks for sharing FakeCanadian. I'm 32, 2 y eating like this. Learning how much the food I put into my mouth affects all of my body, and my immediate feelings of well-being has been an eye-opener.
baardmk

Postby geo » Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:06 am

How long it takes to heal is entirely dependent on your current health and severity of your issues. In my case, I continued to see improvements in my blood markers for a year. I stopped testing after that but I'm pretty sure there was still room to improve.

In one case, my inflmmation marker - HS-CRP was still dropping after a year (from 7+ down to 0.58 at the end of a year).

But the point being is that the body is remarkably self healing if nurrished properly. But also, that doesn't always mean that you will fully recover from disease processes that you may have fueled for 50+ years with the SAD. But you can be assured that with this program, you will be optimaly fueled and provide your body with the best hope to recover from any issue that is nutrition based.

And finally, this is a lifestyle change, so there's no hurry on the healing process...it will take however long it needs.
geo

My 1 year Journal McDougalling and results Testimonial
My March 2013 Star McDougaller Story
Some Random Thoughts on Successful McDougalling
geo

Return to Testimonials and Success Stories