My journey to a plant based diet for a healthy heart

Share your McDougall successes here in order to inspire others.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

My journey to a plant based diet for a healthy heart

Postby TimNZ » Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:39 am

My journey to plant based diet

Hi I just thought I would post my journey about plant based diet...
I am currently living in New Zealand and around two and half years ago was diagnosed with CAD and had a stent placed in an 80% blocked artery,
It was a very abrupt wake up call, the hospital sent me home with a bucket full of drugs which I was informed I would be taking for the rest of my life and at 49 years old this did not go down well with me... Watching my father die of a heart attack at the age of 56 and having children of my own certainly gave me a lot to think about...
For the first few months I really did not have a clue what to do or where to go and felt that life was pretty much at an end as far as I new it...
I then came across Dr Esselstyns book and read it three times back to front and started looking for any other info I could to verify that a plant based diet could help, the more I looked the more I became convinced this was the way to go, not only that but it really gave me hope that there was an alternative to taking drugs for the rest of my life...
Well to cut a long story short I have been plant strong for the past two years and the results are getting better and better..
My bloods today with no statins or other drugs
Total. 139
Trig 88
Ldl 88
Hdl. 33

Blood pressure average around 125/ 80
One of the best things I have found with a plant based diet is I feel I am in control of my own destiny which has given me a great feeling of freedom again..
It has been great reading the post on here and keeping up to date with what's going on and I would like to thank every who has posted for there contributions

Tim...
North island
New Zealand
Last edited by TimNZ on Thu Feb 27, 2014 3:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
TimNZ

Re: My journey to a plant based diet

Postby Ampin Up » Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:31 pm

Tim,

Welcome from the USA Midwest! Glad to hear you have control of your life again. It was great that didn't just accept your "fate" and took the initiative to look further. It looks like it paid off. Of course, that's not a surprise to me, but I'm sure it was for your doctors.

Thanks for sharing your success story with us. It's good to know that we are helping people who read the posts even if they are not posting themselves. I am sure your story will inspire others to follow the same path.

I am sure your friends and family have heard of your success as well. Perhaps you will be able to help them change their lives for the better by the example of your success.

I wish you the best going forward.

Jeff
Jeff - Certified Starch Solution Instructor
Down over 50 lbs and controlling BP, cholesterol, diabetes and arthritis no meds
Free Health info and recipes on my website
Self-Paced classes from $1
https://sites.google.com/site/letsbehealthytogether/
Ampin Up

Postby JulieS » Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:32 pm

Wow, Tim! What a great reversal!! My heart goes out to all the millions of people that get your diagnosis and eat chicken without skin and low-fat dairy afterwards and never will be cured as a result! BTW, I Googled photos of North island, New Zealand and you live in a gorgeous location!! Can you start a McDougall commune and we'll come join you? :lol:
LOST 55 POUNDS! From pant size 14 to size 4, BMI:21
JulieS

Postby Junebug » Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:01 pm

Beautiful! Congratulations and thanks for sharing your story.
Valerie :)
Junebug

Postby TimNZ » Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:07 pm

Hi thank you for all your support and encouragement...
Yes it is beautiful here but no Mcdougal comunity yet not that I am aware of :)

Tim
TimNZ

Re: My journey to a plant based diet for a healthy heart

Postby Ruff » Sat Mar 01, 2014 8:30 pm

Us NZ McDougallers are a bit scattered.....I am on the South Island. Perhaps we should have a mcdougall meet-up, maybe in the middle, say at Able Tasman?

Congratulations on the health improvement Tim.
Katie

My testimonial. viewtopic.php?f=13&t=38433
Ruff

Re: My journey to a plant based diet for a healthy heart

Postby eXtremE » Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:22 pm

Congrats Tim and best of health going forward.
On 7/8/2013, I decided to change my diet to a "mostly" WFPB diet. I have always been somewhat lean and muscular due to being a lifelong exerciser. Change in diet due to feeling crummy all the time despite a healthy outward appearance. Image
eXtremE

Return to Testimonials and Success Stories