MS Success

Share your McDougall successes here in order to inspire others.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

MS Success

Postby tracybergeon » Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:11 pm

Hi, I just have to share the amazing turn around we have seen in my mom. My mom was diagnosed with MS in the 80's. She suffered for many years and actually spent nearly 14 years in a nursing home suffering late stage effects of this disease. I became her guardian in 2011 with my dad's failing health and we found out during this time she was suffering from up to 20 seizures a day and spent some time in the hospital getting it diagnosed and treated properly. During this time we found out she had sleep apnea so in August of 2011 we went for a sleep study to get it properly diagnosed. At this time my mom was obese, she had horrible acne on her face, she was non cognitive, non communicative, she could not swallow well and her diet was thickened (even her liquids were thickened). We went the next morning for her sleep study results and found out that she had such a severe form of the disorder that she needed a bipap machine. The nursing home would not take her back because of the liability of this machine as it was one step below a respirator. We spent 12 days in the hospital waiting for this news and then arranging what would happen next. I was told by doctors that my mom had months to live because she could stop breathing and never start on her own at any time. She was basically a vegetable at this point not able to think, comprehend, breath on her own enough to support life and it was so sad that she was going to die at anytime. We brought her home after we heard the nursing home could not take her back and from the point we brought her home we put her on the McDougal diet. I started pureeing fresh fruits, vegetables, grains and nuts. We started giving her lots of water to drink as well. In the nursing home her food was so dull and ugly looking, full of fats, salt and who knows what else. I looked at the ingredients on her pre-thickened juice they gave her and could not read half the ingredients. Within a month of living with us on this diet she was already showing signs of improvement. She had been put on hospice when she first came to live with us and within 6 months she was off her bipap machine, off oxygen and maintaining levels on her own, talking up a storm, laughing, smiling, pulling memories from her past, remembering names of family, feeding herself, off pureed foods and chewing normally and had lost about 20 pounds. Her face was all cleared up and she looked great. We bought a wheelchair van to transport her and she started getting fresh air, out for trips and she was enjoying life again! They kicked her off hospice at the 6 months mark saying she was not dying anymore. Now over 2 years later my mom is at a healthy weight of 135 pounds and healthier than she has been in 20 years. We still have progress to make but she continues to amaze us and we are now working on getting her feeling in her legs again and the feeling to go to the bathroom. These have been gone for over 20 years and she is regaining these feelings occasionally. I am new to this board so if I can figure out how to attach pictures I will do that, it is amazing to watch her transform.
tracybergeon

Re: MS Success

Postby carollynne » Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:49 pm

Fantastic!! I am so happy for you and your mom, and wish you continued success with this WOE!!
Thanks so much for sharing with us, and please let us know more as time goes on, please it is very inspiring to others.
I have lost about 60 lbs and never thought I'd be in the 150s ever again. cured my NAFLD!! Feel great!! Wt loss is so good for the knees and back, ankle, that I know I will never start back to the SAD way of eating again.
carollynne

Postby Daydream » Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:11 pm

What an amazing story! I'm so happy for you and your mother.
Daydream

Postby amgmmg » Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:03 am

Great story and I congratulate you for the patience and dedication to do all this for your mom
amgmmg

Postby uncgirl » Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:08 pm

Wonderful story! I'm so happy for you and your mom. Hope she continues to do well. You seem a most excellent daughter to take such good care of your mother.
uncgirl

Postby BroccoliForever » Mon Feb 10, 2014 5:29 pm

Wow! This is truly amazing. You have saved your mom's life. I'm truly moved by your story. Congratulations. You are your mother's personal angel.
BroccoliForever

Postby Ruff » Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:44 pm

What an amazing story. Thank you so much for telling us about it. Getting kicked out of the hospice must the the most wonderful thing on the planet! :D
Katie

My testimonial. viewtopic.php?f=13&t=38433
Ruff

Postby risarisa » Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:59 am

Wow,Wow, Wow! . You really saved your Mom's life. I'm truly moved by your story. Congratulations. :)
“If you always do what you've always done, you’ll always get what you've always got.”
So what are you doing to change!

risarisa

Postby emennk » Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:52 am

Your mother is alive because of you! What an amazing and wonderful story. The best to you all on your continuing journey to full health. I am so very excited for her and your family. This story brought tears of joy for you to my eyes. CONGRATULATIONS!!!!
ImageImage
emennk

Postby judynew » Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:39 pm

What an inspiring story. I wonder if any of the medical folks who have worked with your mother in the past realize what happened here? I recently met someone who reversed their own diabetes and, while their doctor acknowledged that the results were remarkable, showed absolutely no curiosity about how this miracle was accomplished.
judynew

Postby Caroveggie » Thu Feb 13, 2014 6:39 pm

That is such a sweet story. I have had little success with my own mother who suffers from diabetes. She is very unwilling to change her diet. However, I'm glad you have had such a great success with your own mother and wish your family the best. Congratulations!
Caroveggie

Postby Love the Lorax » Fri Feb 14, 2014 7:54 am

WOW, that is an inspiring story. So much work on your part, and such returns for it. Your mom is very blessed.
Love the Lorax

Postby Lesliec1 » Sat Feb 15, 2014 7:56 am

Wow, what a huge success. Your mom is so lucky to have you. How old is she? Also, what does it mean to "thicken her diet and liquids"? Just curious. I haven't heard of that.
Lesliec1

Postby veggie lover » Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:18 pm

Wow, what a fantastic story! It makes me want to shout this way of eating from the rooftops!!!

Were you already following the McDougall diet when you brought your mother home?
veggie lover

Postby soul food » Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:37 pm

Wow! What an amazing story.

It would be great to see before and after photos but I don't know how to post photos.

soul food
soul food

Return to Testimonials and Success Stories