Obese No More

Share your McDougall successes here in order to inspire others.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Obese No More

Postby awackywabbit » Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:47 pm

Two years ago today I was morbidly obese and I made the decision to do something about it. To put it in perspective the amount of extra weight I had on my body is the equivalent of 21 bricks. The next time you are at Home Depot place 21 bricks in your shopping cart and push it around the store for awhile . Now take 15 of those bricks out and push around the remaining 6 and you’ll understand what it feels like to lose that much weight. I have 6 bricks left to lose.

I could write a book about how I got to that point. All the things I was taught as a child and all the things I experienced as an adult contributed to my weight gain over the years. My dangerously low self-esteem and life long battle with depression all contributed. In the end though the number one reason I was morbidly obese was because I consumed the standard American diet. I was raised on it and as I grew into an adult and continued to eat the food I had been raised on and I was never told it was killing me.

I was first diagnosed with high blood pressure when I was 16 years old. I was mildly overweight at the time despite the fact that I worked out 6 days a week while playing basketball. I was an athlete yet overweight. Everyone told me I was “big boned” no one told me my food was slowly killing me.

The doctors told me high blood pressure is hereditary but not one told me it is one of the first signs of heart disease. My arteries were already clogging up at 16 years of age because I was consuming too much dietary fat and cholesterol. The doctors told me to take a pill for the rest of my life and it would control my blood pressure. What they didn’t tell me is that the pill would not treat the underlying disease it simply controlled it’s symptoms.

I didn’t listen to the doctors then . In part because I didn’t care about myself to want to take care of myself but also in part because I sensed that taking a pill was not natural. I should not have to pay a drug company money every month for the rest of my life just to live. So I ignored the problem.

In 2007 my blood pressure was so high I could not get a DOT certification to drive a package car for my job. The doctor in the clinic took it about a dozen times and the best reading she got was 165/112 with a resting heart rate of 110. I was told to get on medication and come back in a few months to be re-tested. I left my job at UPS due to stress so I never went back. I also continued to ignore my stage 2 hypertension.

In 2012 I found myself 105 lbs overweight. I had high blood pressure, elevated eye pressure, sleep apnea, muscle aches and pains, backaches, knee pain, dry mouth, headaches, cramps while menstruating, acid reflux, constant sinus infections, frequent upset stomach with diarrhea, frequent sore throats, coughing, colds, and intermittent bouts with depression.

On January 21, 2012 I decided to change. Less then a month after I made that decision I watched a documentary that changed my life. I adopted a whole food plant based diet and not only did I lose massive amounts of weight I reversed my chronic ailments. Below is a graph of my weight loss over the last two years.

In 2014 I am no longer obese. I started with a BMI of 41.6 today my BMI is 30. My blood pressure is averaging 125/75 with a resting heart rate of 65. My sleep apnea and acid reflux have almost completely been resolved. I no longer have high blood pressure, elevated eye pressure, headaches, muscle aches or pains, backaches, knee pain, dry mouth, cramping while menstruating, sinus infections, upset stomach or diarrhea, sore throats, and coughing. My last cold was in March of 2012. I can’t remember the last day I was depressed.

So physically and emotionally I have been healed. I did not take a single pill or undergo a single surgical procedure. I simply changed what I put on the end of my fork. You can to.

This year I will turn 40 years old. I plan to empty those last 6 bricks out of my shopping cart by my birthday on December 28th. For the first time in my adult life I will be at a normal weight for my height. I will also be the healthiest I have been since likely the day I was born.

No matter how many extra bricks you are pushing around in your cart you can get them out. You can regain your health and your life. I hope that my story can inspire you to do so. We were not created to be sick and unhealthy we were created to be vibrant and healthy. Change what you eat and you will change your life.

For more information on how I did it please watch the documentary “Forks Over Knives”. You can stream it on Netflix or borrow a copy from me. The following books also go into detail about the whole foods plant based diet I eat, “The Starch Solution” by Dr. John McDougall, “My Beef With Meat” by Rip Esselstyn, & “Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease” by Dr. Caldwell Esselstyn.
My weight loss journal: http://www.debssite.com
awackywabbit

Re: Obese No More

Postby JuicerJohn » Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:37 pm

WOW! what an inspirational story, really fantastic!

Congratulations on your success and God bless you as you continue with your success story!
Jesus *said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father but through Me. John 14:6
JuicerJohn

Postby viv » Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:10 pm

Woo Hoo!! Fantastic achievement--I am so happy for you leaving behind a life of depression and ill health. You will inspire so many others to follow in your footsteps leading to a life of health and happiness. Good job!
5'8", Started March 2013
Starting weight: 217
Current weight: 157
60lbs gone--for good!
viv

Postby JulieS » Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:44 pm

Congrats on changing your life FOR GOOD!! :D
LOST 55 POUNDS! From pant size 14 to size 4, BMI:21
JulieS

Postby risarisa » Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:43 am

Congratulations on your success. You go girl . Your story is encouraging. One day at a time keep up the excellent work. :-D
“If you always do what you've always done, you’ll always get what you've always got.”
So what are you doing to change!

risarisa

Postby Lizzy_F » Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:45 pm

Congratulations Debbie! You look fantastic in your "now" pics with a huge smile on your face!!! :D 8)

Thank you so much for taking time to share your story. I am at the beginning of my McDougall journey and need inspiration such as what you have provided!

Best wishes to you unloading the last of the bricks from your cart this year!
Beth

"Long-term sustainable change is what we are really after." ~Jeff Novick
Lizzy_F

Postby starbrite » Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:59 am

CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!

Great job! So inspirational! Thanks for posting with pictures!

You go girl, get rid of those bricks!

Starbrite
starbrite

Postby PreciousTaters » Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:30 am

Brilliant results! Thanks so much for sharing. :nod: :thumbsup:
PreciousTaters

Postby Primrose » Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:51 am

Well Done! :D You are an inspiration.
Primrose

Postby Melinda » Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:51 pm

Awesome! You look so much happier in the latest picture! Star Mcdougaller status here you come!
Melinda

Postby Caroveggie » Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:03 pm

I really loved your story (and thank you for adding pics!). I am glad this way of eating is becoming more well known. There are so many myths and misinformation out there about nutrition and health. It can take a lot of determination to wade through all that to figure out the truth of what works to bring you real health. Congratulations on your success. :-D
Caroveggie

Postby ♥ Amy ♥ » Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:49 pm

WOW!!! AWESOME job and thank you so much for sharing the results. I'm a failed McDougaller trying to find the will to try again.
Thank you for telling us and showing us how powerful the change can be. Great job!!
*Restart 12.28.13*
My Journal
♥ Amy ♥

Postby BroccoliForever » Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:23 pm

I love your success! Your post is so heartfelt and real! My favorite line that you say is: "In the end though the number one reason I was morbidly obese was because I consumed the standard American diet." What courage to say this and what brilliance to know it! I also like your brick analogy. You have a very good way of telling your story that is endearing. I wish you all the success and happiness.
BroccoliForever

Postby Nean » Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:54 pm

Having just placed over 60 real bricks to 'puppy proof' parts of our fence line, THANK YOU for the brick analogy.

Yes, those 10 bricks I am still carting around is important. I've shed 28 bricks, feel lots better, and have people telling me I'm thin :eek: So since I don't particularly want to increase the vegies, decrease the beans and stop stuffing my face when I'm not hungry, I haven't been pushing myself to make more changes in my patterns. Thanks for the inspiration!
"I am very much in control of how I feel as long as I control what I put in my mouth!" Blue
Nean

Postby lmggallagher » Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:29 pm

What a huge accomplishment - I hope that you are just so very proud of yourself! First for realizing this was how you would regain your health both physical and mental and second for sticking with it. You told us a very honest and motivating story that any one of us could relate to in an instant. And oh my seems I have the same six bricks I have to get rid of too and my target is January 2015. So count me in on your team to lay down those bricks for a path to our good health!

Best wishes - Michelle

lmggallagher

Next

Return to Testimonials and Success Stories