I'm ruined

Share your McDougall successes here in order to inspire others.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

I'm ruined

Postby theresam » Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:48 pm

A lovely friend bought me lunch today at a beloved vegetarian restaurant that is a long time fixture in my area. They are packed 7 days/week. Haven't been there in about 3 months. My tastebuds have changed so much the only thing that tasted good was the salad. Not the soup, not the tempeh burger I had with vegan cheese (that was like chewing on soft gum-yuck). I dare say I'm ruined for anything but whole, plant foods with no added oil. Finally. :-D
theresam

Re: I'm ruined

Postby JulieS » Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:39 pm

Yippee!! That's great news! :nod:
LOST 55 POUNDS! From pant size 14 to size 4, BMI:21
JulieS

Postby Rick Over » Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:06 am

Good to read !
I have to admit that I'm very satisfied with this new WOE too. And this is very surprising considering the fact that I am ... yes, French (nobody's perfect). And you know, I loved traditional French food. You know, lots of meat, million of different sauces, fish, seafood, tons of different cheeses, everything cooked in a very elaborate fashion and after all quite greasy. But I'm very satisfied now and I don't crave my former food. That's bizarre.
This is maybe because when we eventually discover the right WOE for humans or reptilian brain sends information that this is OK and that we don't need more than that. And together with the noticeable physical improvements, that's why we are happy. :-)
Recovering cancer and fighting obesity.
My testimonial:
http://www.drmcdougall.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=40480
Rick Over

Postby VegMommy » Fri Dec 20, 2013 3:48 pm

Isn't it amazing when things you once thought you couldn't live without now don't even seem like food to you?
VegMommy

Postby f1jim » Fri Dec 20, 2013 4:35 pm

That's because the aren't really food. We conned ourselves a long time ago into believing they were really food. But they never were. A testament to human adaptability. The key is always to put enough space between you and faux food to see the forest for the trees.
f1jim
While adopting this diet and lifestyle program I have reversed my heart disease, high cholesterol, hypertension, and lost 54 lbs. You can follow my story at https://www.drmcdougall.com/james-brown/
f1jim

Postby theresam » Fri Dec 20, 2013 6:44 pm

Wow, great posts. Yes, this is all pretty darn amazing to me.
theresam

Postby Werner1950 » Sat Dec 21, 2013 7:33 am

Although I don't have cravings a home, a place devoid of cookies, desserts and snacky foods, I am still not able to resist the foods at our church potlucks. And I can't refuse to go, because I am their pastor :)

I have seen to many fat preachers in my lifetime, and I became determined to lose my excess baggage, when I found this WOE.

But those chips and those tortes still call out to me when I see them.. any tips and tricks to keep me from those sirens?
I have lost 30 lbs since I have started, but I have plateaued for 3 months now, and I really want to lose about 20 more.

It's the weekends that are the hardest.
"An ounce of evidence is worth a pound of presumption"
Werner1950

Postby f1jim » Sat Dec 21, 2013 8:31 am

One idea would be to work with someone else to make goodies that are on plan. One or several people could volunteer to start a movement of healthy items and see if it grows. This would allow you to have some "snackables" that would be acceptable. Even just one volunteer might make the difference and just might start a trend.
f1jim
While adopting this diet and lifestyle program I have reversed my heart disease, high cholesterol, hypertension, and lost 54 lbs. You can follow my story at https://www.drmcdougall.com/james-brown/
f1jim

Postby Josieinca » Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:10 pm

Werner1950, is it possible for you to prepare some on plan treats to take to the events? Seems a great way to introduce a much healthier way of eating to the entire group.
Josieinca

Postby Werner1950 » Sat Dec 21, 2013 1:26 pm

Jim, thanks for that tip. For potlucks and our refreshments (which are served every Sunday)I will see what I can do.
The other ongoing challenge that I face is that a lot of my pastoral work takes place over meals in restaraunts, specially on Sundays. And the restaurants are mostly Chinese, not known for salads. So most of the time, I order a bowl of steamed rice and steamed veggies. But often, because of the language barrier, I don't get what I asked for.

But, I will win this challenge.. slowly but surely.
"An ounce of evidence is worth a pound of presumption"
Werner1950

Postby viv » Sat Dec 21, 2013 1:39 pm

Hi Werner when you are tempted by tortes and treats, change your brain, look away from the food and repeat to yourself something like, "Thank you God for my perfect health."
How about sharing your story with your congregation and starting a McDougall group in your church? Just think you could combine your message of health and deliverance from evil (SAD food!) Well you get the idea, there are lots of creative ways you can combine health, weight loss etc with biblical messages for the good of all. 2014 can be a year of miracles for your church!
5'8", Started March 2013
Starting weight: 217
Current weight: 157
60lbs gone--for good!
viv

Postby theresam » Sat Dec 21, 2013 1:54 pm

Funny, Werner! I'm part of a home church and our pastor is the same way. He eats great throughout the week then come saturday potluck before service he's eating everything. Fortunately a couple of us are now mcdougalling so bring healthy options! I'm going to teach a class for many after the first, and our pastor has asked me to write it out and start a healing ministry within our ministry. Yea!
theresam

Postby viv » Sat Dec 21, 2013 3:01 pm

Theresam, it is wonderful that you are starting a healing ministry in your home church. In my opinion, there is no greater calling than easing human suffering and your example and teaching of this woe will be of great benefit. Even if some people are not yet ready to adopt the McDougall plan, you will have planted a seed.
5'8", Started March 2013
Starting weight: 217
Current weight: 157
60lbs gone--for good!
viv

Postby Nean » Sat Dec 21, 2013 4:05 pm

Werner - I'm doing much better resisting the holiday junk since I started taking up to 4 small whole baked sweet potatoes to work with me every day. They don't need refrigeration and I eat them like they were a candy bar or ice cream cone. Maybe you could try snarfing a cold potato in your office right before social hour, or in your car between church and the Chinese place?

I also have business cards that spell out what my diet requirements are. Perhaps you could find someone to make a card up in Chinese to show the person taking your order?
"I am very much in control of how I feel as long as I control what I put in my mouth!" Blue
Nean

Postby theresam » Fri Dec 27, 2013 8:31 pm

viv wrote:Theresam, it is wonderful that you are starting a healing ministry in your home church. In my opinion, there is no greater calling than easing human suffering and your example and teaching of this woe will be of great benefit. Even if some people are not yet ready to adopt the McDougall plan, you will have planted a seed.

Amen, Viv! I'm actually writing a book right now, a scripturally based guide to healing with diet but also spiritual deliverance (breaking off the oppression that causes emotional suffering and other health problems through prayer and repentance). Our pastor and others in leadership have been exhorting me to get it done, so I have been. The primary foundation, after the Word is mcdougalling! You are so right, God's people NEED this information. Especially with the healthcare system spiraling into destruction, we need to take responsibility for our health more than ever!
theresam

Next

Return to Testimonials and Success Stories