Update After Two Months-

Share your McDougall successes here in order to inspire others.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Update After Two Months-

Postby Linnie » Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:43 pm

My CRP was 0.2 in my latest blood test. There was a NEG for, Mixed Connective Tissue Disease. The only other time that happened was when I was on 20mg. prednisone. I am now on 3mg. My doctor reduced my NSAID from 750mg. to 500mg. every other day. Wants to go slow with a blood test every month or so. Kept me on the 3mg. of prednisone for now.
One of my bunions is much less noticeable - the foot doctor said it is because I am less inflamed and that bunions are arthritis.
So, I feel encouraged. Just hope I stop losing weight. I never had a weight issue - am 5 feet and now 100 pounds. A size 2 jeans. Too many people commenting on my weight loss. That's when I tell them I am on this eating plan for arthritis, then some of them want to know more about it. I am a walking advertisement for Dr. McDougall's eating plan. Today I gave my pharmacist some info after she said, "you lost weight." Turns out she suffers from arthritis pain.
I still crave pizza and BBQ chicken, but the lower pain levels are worth it. :nod:
Linnie

Re: Update After Two Months-

Postby MamaSistina » Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:42 pm

How about McDougall friendly pizza and BBQ'd beans?

congratulations!
MamaSistina

Postby vgpedlr » Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:47 pm

MamaSistina wrote:How about McDougall friendly pizza and BBQ'd beans?

congratulations!

Exactly! BBQ sauce is awesome on lots of things. Check out Mark Sutton's awesome book Heart Healthy Pizza for lots of great things to do with dough and an oven. Of course, if you're like me and it is mainly an addiction to cheese, you may not be so enthusiastic. But the pizzas are great anyway.
vgpedlr

Postby Linnie » Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:01 am

Thanks, all. The thing is, I am not supposed to eat wheat or soy as I have an autoimmune disease/arthritis. But I had some over the weekend and I do not see any increased pain, but I do feel a little more mucus. I'll eat wheat pasta when I go out to eat, but for now I'll stick to gluten-free.
Wondering if those with autoimmune diseases can never go back to some wheat or soy? I noticed that all of Dr. McDougall's ready-to-eat ramen noodle cups have wheat and soy in them. Might post this in the Health Issues topics or for Jeff.
Linnie

Postby Geeneeus1 » Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:49 pm

My brother just told me he live bbq sauce and seitan so that might help your cravings?
Geeneeus1

Postby Linnie » Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:54 am

It is now four months...CRP level still good, sedimentation rate and pain going up a bit, so had to go back on the regular dose of meds. Still have lots of mucus from the chronic bronchitis too. But not going back to eating dairy, oils, or any animal products. Still, I am getting perplexed as I read all the wonderful testimonials from people with autoimmune diseases. But appreciate them to keep me hopeful.
Linnie

Postby Jenna » Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:06 pm

Linnie,

You might need to do an elimination diet. I also have autoimmune issues and I did not improve on gluten-free McDougall, but I have improved dramatically on the elimination diet. Here is some info: http://www.nealhendrickson.com/mcdougal ... pudiet.htm.

Good luck!
Jenna
Jenna

Postby Bkworm » Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:26 pm

Linnie, I, too, would recommend you start an elimination diet. I deal with the autoimmune disorder, RA. That was the reason for starting this WOE. From two weeks into this WOE I was totally pain free. Started this way of eating in mid-January 2013. Kept wanting to pinch myself to see if I was dreaming that the pain was gone. However, in mid-July started experiencing mild RA flares that increased in severity though never reaching the levels prior to this WOE. After the flares did not go away, I initiated an elimination diet in September.

The first couple of weeks of the ED were rough after eating such wonderfully satisfying meals for the better part of eight months to then changing to absolutely bland food. Had been totally gluten free for the past 2+ years but had been eating GF oats and other GF grains. Eliminating gluten helped reduce swelling and pain but not to the extent that this WOE did. Had read that protein could cause the flares so decided to eliminate all grains and beans. So far beans don't appear to be a problem but all types of oats and rice create almost immediate flares. So now I depend on quinoa and buckwheat for grains. Someone, sorry I can't remember for certain who, advised in one of the discussions about Creamy Buckwheat Hot Cereal. Absolutely love it. It reminds me of Cream of Wheat cereal in taste and consistency. I fix it with a bit of cinnamon and add fruit, fresh or frozen. Also eat quinoa as a breakfast grain as well as in those recipes.

In addition, I have found tofu, though not soy sauce or tamari sauce, to cause mild flares as well. Further, while we do not drink alcohol at all, I wanted to try a couple of recipes calling for cooking sherry as an option. I purchased a bottle of sherry to add to gravy, just 2 tablespoons, and had an almost immediate, severe flare, particularly in my hands.

Feel fortunate that so far basic seasonings, such as onion, garlic, bell peppers, and other seasonings aren't causing a problem at all so I am back to enjoying most meals again. The past two days have again been totally pain free, such a wonderful way to feel. I am racing around doing all kinds of chores and errands, able to lift and carry everything and chopping veggies in the kitchen totally pain free. Know that sounds like such a small thing to most people, but being able to move about and do everything for yourself pain free is tremendously freeing.

Have had paperwork to get lab work to test inflammation levels since July but have not had the tests run. Now that the flares seem to be subsiding again, will probably have the lab work completed. However, I can tell easily when the inflammation has increased and when it is going into remission just by the pain levels.

So far I have not taken any of the prescription meds prescribed for RA. A number of relatives dealt with and are dealing with RA, so I am very familiar with all the RA issues that patients face. As soon as I realized what was happening in my body, I immediately conducted online research and decided to avoid prescription meds as long as possible even though the rheumatologist prescribed methotrexate and folic acid. Looking for solutions is what led me to watching FOK and Engine 2 Diet on Netflix which then led me to Dr. McDougall. The day may come that there won't be any choice but to take meds, but thanks to this way of eating, I sure don't see that happening in my immediate future.

Again, give an elimination diet a good try and I think you will be able to determine what foods are causing the increase in the pain and inflammation.

Just take things one day at a time. Good luck.
Bkworm

Postby eXtremE » Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:55 am

I have to laugh when ppl use the acronym ED for Elimination Diet. When I see ED, I always think of that medical condition some males suffer with...LOL!
On 7/8/2013, I decided to change my diet to a "mostly" WFPB diet. I have always been somewhat lean and muscular due to being a lifelong exerciser. Change in diet due to feeling crummy all the time despite a healthy outward appearance. Image
eXtremE

Postby Bkworm » Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:28 am

Yes, eXtremE, I know exactly what you mean. The first couple of times I saw ED used in a message, I, of course, interpreted as the male disorder, too. But as that didn't seem to fit into the topic, I finally picked up on what it was actually referring to.
Bkworm

Re: Update again

Postby Linnie » Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:14 pm

Thanks, Bkworm - haven't been back on here for a while. Still have the pain on and off - right now very much ON. I will start an elimination diet. I do eat lots of grains...gluten-free oats every day, rice pasta, corn pasta, brown rice, gluten-free breads, etc. I also eat lots of bananas, beans and lentils. I do eat roasted buts at times - right now I have been eating toasted pecans with a little brown sugar as dessert. No weight issues at all. Down to size 2 jeans. used to be a size 6.
I noticed that cranberry sauce bothers me. As does OJ and Grapefruit.
Today I had quinuoa for lunch with kale and escarole mixed in, then beans with corn pasta for dinner. Gluten-free oats for breakfast and a gluten-free Foods For Life English muffin.
Linnie

Postby reinventme127 » Wed Jan 01, 2014 9:35 am

It is good to read how diet has helped some others with RAD. It give encouragement as I start to make many changes to my WOE.
reinventme127

Return to Testimonials and Success Stories