Lighter and faster

Share your McDougall successes here in order to inspire others.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Lighter and faster

Postby KensCircus » Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:21 pm

I just read your race report!! Absolutely Fantastic!!
Had to read the last part a couple times – the text kept getting blurry.

Thank you for that – so inspiring!

Ken

P.S. Love that T-shirt!
Nothing in life is more inhibiting or debilitating than the belief; “I Can’t.”
Nothing in life is more freeing, enabling or successful than the belief; “I Can.”
KensCircus

Postby funcrunch » Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:40 pm

Thanks so much guys! Proud to represent plant power in the marathon! :-)
funcrunch

Postby jamietwo » Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:20 pm

I am SO impressed! Congratulations! :D
Jamie
jamietwo

Postby funcrunch » Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:02 am

jamietwo wrote:I am SO impressed! Congratulations! :D

Thanks! Still waiting for all of the official photos to be posted, but I think this is my favorite so far:

San Francisco Marathon 2013 by funcrunch, on Flickr
funcrunch

Postby orangejulius » Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:55 pm

Congrats on--well--everything! :-) The weight loss, the improved health, the increased fitness... You may not think your story is "dramatic," but it is very encouraging to me and I'm sure others for that reason. Not everyone has a "dramatic" reason to start eating healthier, so you are proof that even someone who is starting off decently well (i.e., no current heart disease, etc.) can feel and look even greater.
orangejulius

Postby funcrunch » Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:15 pm

orangejulius wrote:Congrats on--well--everything! :-) The weight loss, the improved health, the increased fitness... You may not think your story is "dramatic," but it is very encouraging to me and I'm sure others for that reason. Not everyone has a "dramatic" reason to start eating healthier, so you are proof that even someone who is starting off decently well (i.e., no current heart disease, etc.) can feel and look even greater.

Thanks! I was trying to find an earlier race photo for comparison purposes. I found this one from after a 10K I ran in August 2010. From my running log I see that I happened to record my weight that day; it was 142 (BMI ~ 24). (Current weight is around 116 / BMI ~ 20.)

Big Gay 10K by funcrunch, on Flickr

But much more important to me than the number on the scale is the greater level of fitness I have now compared to three years ago when I was depressed, eating poorly, and exercising only sporadically. That 10K took me 1:22:30 to finish; my current 10K PR (set in November 2012) is 1:02:50.
funcrunch

Postby smudgemom » Sun Jun 23, 2013 7:02 pm

Read through your funcrunch.org blog. You're one cool chickee! I apologize if I missed this but.....has your singing quality changed since losing weight?
smudgemom

Postby funcrunch » Sun Jun 23, 2013 7:20 pm

smudgemom wrote:Read through your funcrunch.org blog. You're one cool chickee! I apologize if I missed this but.....has your singing quality changed since losing weight?

Hmm, I don't think so. I do seem to have more stamina than some of my fellow chorus members though! I'm happy to stand and sing through an entire rehearsal while others prefer to sit and take the elevator instead of the stairs up to (or down from!) the two floors to our rehearsal room...
funcrunch

Postby theresaann » Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:24 pm

A-MAZ-ING. Really inspiring. How you feel really shines through in those photos. I can almost *feel* how you feel-light, healthy, strong, lean, energetic, and might I take the liberty to suggest a little disbelieving how easy it is when you get to eat "so much?"

That all seems to come through to me and its really inspiring :nod:
theresaann

Postby funcrunch » Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:39 pm

theresaann wrote:A-MAZ-ING. Really inspiring. How you feel really shines through in those photos. I can almost *feel* how you feel-light, healthy, strong, lean, energetic, and might I take the liberty to suggest a little disbelieving how easy it is when you get to eat "so much?"

That all seems to come through to me and its really inspiring :nod:

Thanks so much! :-D
funcrunch

Postby Worfie501 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:34 am

Good work. Beyond good work. I've shown others pictures and the stories of regular people who have turned their health around via the recommendations at this site. Yet, the moment they hear they have to stop eating what they are eating it is all out the window. Immediately the ears turn off, even if they are on "horse" medications caused by their eating - ears off. I still love your little avatar - it could be that of my all time best and recently deceased girlfriend and mentor Ledora Jen. It makes me happy to see it. It makes me happy to see your photos too. All the best in what ever you are up to these days.
Worfie501

Postby funcrunch » Thu Dec 05, 2013 2:15 pm

Update since I've been gone for a long time. Food and fitness discussion have taken a back seat in the last several months because I'm going through a gender transition. I've also changed my name, to Pax. Anyone interested in my journey can read about it in my blog.

I've been racing a lot less since June's marathon, but haven't stopped completely. My partner and I did a 10K together last month, which was great.

My weight has remained within the 115-120 lb range (BMI around 20), my waist size between 26 and 27 inches. My diet remains starch-centered, lowfat vegan (other than honey). Though my diet and lifestyle are really closer to the Engine 2 Diet than McDougall, which is another part of why I haven't been posting here. The basic principles are the same as far as I'm concerned, but not everyone feels the same way.

As part of my gender transition, my body will be changing, possibly dramatically over the next year. It will be very important for me to keep up the healthy diet and exercise program as I will be at a higher risk for cardiovascular disease. I had my blood checked very recently, and my cholesterol and triglyceride levels are optimal. I aim to keep them that way.
Last edited by funcrunch on Thu Dec 05, 2013 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
funcrunch

Postby jamietwo » Thu Dec 05, 2013 2:32 pm

Good to see you on the forum again! Sounds like you have a lot of changes going on in your life. Thanks for sharing them with us. Congratulations on your good "numbers"!
Jamie
jamietwo

Postby KensCircus » Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:00 am

FunCrunch,

Please do not let the fact that you are not 100% McDougall compliant keep you away from or avoid this forum! The percentage of 100% compliant people on this forum is quite small. The important thing is that your style parallels close enough to be an enormous benefit to others. I, for one miss your posts. Your level of inspiration is a rare gem.

Love your new name, Pax Ahimsa! Will you stay FunCrunch here?

I wish you health and happiness,

Ken
Nothing in life is more inhibiting or debilitating than the belief; “I Can’t.”
Nothing in life is more freeing, enabling or successful than the belief; “I Can.”
KensCircus

Postby dteresa » Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:07 am

size 2 ???!!! would that be toddler or regular? I can't imagine ever being that thin. Right now I am a size 10 or sometimes a 12. congratulations on working hard and achieving your goals. bet you are super successful in other things as well.

didi
dteresa

PreviousNext

Return to Testimonials and Success Stories