Lighter and faster

Share your McDougall successes here in order to inspire others.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Lighter and faster

Postby funcrunch » Tue Oct 07, 2014 12:43 am

Nine months into testosterone therapy, and I haven't gained any weight, have very little acne, and my total cholesterol and triglycerides have actually gone down; all the opposite of what is normally predicted. Still hovering around 117 pounds (BMI 20.1), waist 26.5 inches, total cholesterol 136, total/HDL ratio 2.8, triglycerides 53. And my blood pressure was 88/66 when I went to the doctor for those lab tests last week.

I credit the healthy diet and exercise program. Though I haven't stuck to being SOS-free, unfortunately, getting off-course during our trip to Seattle for the half-marathon last month where we ate a lot of vegan junk food. And the weather has been so hot the last few days that I haven't wanted to cook anything. But I'm getting back on track with more veggies and whole grains and less processed food.

I unexpectedly set a PR of 2:24:36 in that half-marathon; write-up here. And the last two days, I ran faster than ever before on two of my regular runs, one three miles and one nine miles. Feels good to have a healthy, fit body.
funcrunch

Postby vgpedlr » Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:32 am

Great job! Congrats on the PR!
vgpedlr

Postby molly25 » Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:38 am

Funcrunch, you look amazing. Congrats on such a great time in the race. Clearly your training is paying off. I miss LDR sometimes. :crybaby: I'm an old lady now, too many joint issues. LOL.

Agree about the heat wave, I spent the heat wave days just eating rice out of the rice cooker and microwaving veggies. Couldn't get into anything with the stove.

Nice work on the run. :nod:

Where do you guys train mostly? Do you run in GG Park or the Presidio? I used to run from my house in Noe Valley to Ocean Beach and back through GG Park, and around the Mt. Sutro trails. I loved those runs. :nod:
I stand with the people of Ferguson against white supremacy and cop violence.
molly25

Postby funcrunch » Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:45 am

Thanks vgpedir and molly25! :-)

molly25 wrote:Nice work on the run. :nod:

Where do you guys train mostly? Do you run in GG Park or the Presidio? I used to run from my house in Noe Valley to Ocean Beach and back through GG Park, and around the Mt. Sutro trails. I loved those runs. :nod:

I usually run up and over the Hyde Street hill and go out to the Marina and Crissy Field. For my three mile route I don't get quite that far, turning around at Fort Mason. If I'm training for a longer race I might go through part of the Presidio and GG Park, but normally I stick closer to my own neighborhood (Nob Hill). I don't drive or cycle and like to start running within a few blocks of leaving my apartment, rather than sitting on a bus until I get where I want to go.
funcrunch

Postby funcrunch » Tue Jan 13, 2015 4:25 pm

Results of one year on testosterone therapy. Visible changes thus far are subtle.

ImageOne year comparison by funcrunch, on Flickr

Weight still around 120 (BMI 20ish), waist size still around 27 inches. Latest blood tests from last week reveal no problems and testosterone levels typical for a male my age.

Also set PRs at the 5K and 10K distance late last year in addition to the half-marathon PR I mentioned in my previous post.

Too bad there aren't more studies on FTM transitioners, as I'd really like to see how much diet and exercise play a role in the weight gain, acne, and other side effects that often accompany testosterone therapy. I suspect very few follow this way of eating. I've had a relatively easy ride so far, but I'm only one year in.
funcrunch

Postby PeripateticDanielle » Thu Jan 15, 2015 8:11 pm

Wow, thank you for posting your update.

Perhaps I am seeing more than I think I am because of the slightly different angle of your face, but I can see a big difference. In your chin, in your eyes, even in they way you are holding yourself (the oblique angle of your face and tilted chin in the earlier photo as opposed to the straight-ahead gaze of the later photo).

Good luck with your ongoing treatments. Congratulations on your new PR's, as well!
PeripateticDanielle

Postby funcrunch » Thu Jan 15, 2015 8:33 pm

PeripateticDanielle wrote:Wow, thank you for posting your update.

Perhaps I am seeing more than I think I am because of the slightly different angle of your face, but I can see a big difference. In your chin, in your eyes, even in they way you are holding yourself (the oblique angle of your face and tilted chin in the earlier photo as opposed to the straight-ahead gaze of the later photo).

Good luck with your ongoing treatments. Congratulations on your new PR's, as well!

Thanks! I wouldn't read too much into the difference in my pose though; the first photo was before I was used to holding a heavy camera in one hand and pressing the shutter while looking directly at the lens in the mirror and not blinking. Over a year of taking selfies I perfected this :-)
funcrunch

Postby nicoles » Sat Jan 17, 2015 1:33 pm

funcrunch wrote:
PeripateticDanielle wrote:Wow, thank you for posting your update.

Thanks! I wouldn't read too much into the difference in my pose though; the first photo was before I was used to holding a heavy camera in one hand and pressing the shutter while looking directly at the lens in the mirror and not blinking. Over a year of taking selfies I perfected this :-)

I see the difference around your jaw perhaps, and that maybe you have more sideburns?

Anyway, you are looking great, so glad to hear it is all going so well. I'd be pretty interested to learn more about the science of FTM transitioners in regards to diet and acne as you mentioned. It seems like in your study-of-one, plant based helps a ton!

Congrats on the PR's in the races!

Cheers!

Nicole
Tough times don't last, tough people do

Read the results of my journey here: Nicole S. O'Shea vs. Psoriatic Arthritis

My Journal
nicoles

Previous

Return to Testimonials and Success Stories