My Journey

Share your McDougall successes here in order to inspire others.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

My Journey

Postby amarand » Fri May 25, 2012 6:39 am

Many years ago, I was almost 100 pounds overweight, eating a fairly bad omnivorous diet, and decided to simply stop taking my blood pressure medication (not under the guidance of a physician) to avoid the side-effects. Bad move.

Pushed myself a little too hard on the elliptical and ended up having a little heart scare. Ambulance to the ER, the attending doctor gave me back my medication (which had been causing painful gout in my big toe) and told me to never stop taking it. I, of course, complied.

I decided then and there, on Martin Luther King Day 2004, that I would get the weight under control.

Over the course of a year, I lost all the weight, getting down into the top end of the regular BMI ("goal"), using Weight Watchers. Problem was, I was depriving myself, and it's really hard to maintain the weight loss - with everyone else around you in a meeting losing, losing, losing; and you're just staying the same. Plus, there was the hunger.

So I gained a portion of it back...maybe 30% of the weight, after about a year, but I still maintained the "healthy eating habits" I'd learned in Weight Watchers, and still continued to pay (week after week) for a program that I was getting a little "meh" with. They tell you, of course, that you can't do it alone, and you need to stick with the program and all that, but it never made sense to me that I could continue to maintain, while still depriving myself. Plus, after two or three years (at that point), I became a vegan for personal ethical reasons.

Now, veganism is great for animals, and I was really good about not eating honey, or certain types of sugar. I searched through a few brands of bad vegan shoes until I found just the right one that actually stood up to the constant walking I like to do. I donated all of my animal-related food products to friends, and started "eating vegan." The nice thing about that was that I was able to maintain my weight, but I still had about 30%, and after almost three years of being a vegan, it wasn't just melting off.... You'd think that being kind to animals, I would have some sort of karma-related weight-loss and be all trim and fit; but it didn't work that way.

Over the past few months, I started to watch my weight slowly creep "to the other side of the scale..." just a few pounds, but that jump from one side to the other made me wonder if I wasn't on a journey back to something near my original weight. Plus, I knew there was no way I could ever get off my two blood pressure medications without a doctor's blessing, and without being physically ready for the transition. Being overweight simply wasn't where I needed to be in order to become pharmaceutical-free, and Dr. McDougall's book The Starch Solution couldn't have come out at a better time.

The nice thing about the book is that it showed me about the oils (which are in so many processed, prepared vegan foods, sometimes in huge amounts), how sugar and salt in moderation are scapegoats, and how eating a starch-based diet actually works with our human genetics to make things flow properly.

Although I've read a few McDougall books, and watched many PCRM-related videos, this was the first time recalling having read about his diet-related stroke, and his rapid road to recovery (despite the completely ignorant medical culture of that time), and becoming a medical doctor to help others.

I also appreciate reading the stories of Star McDougallers, because becoming medication-free is my number-one long-term goal, aside from healthy eating leading to sustainable weight loss. I'd also like to become a Star McDougaller some day.

I hear about people who drink sugary beverages daily, losing a bunch of weight in their first week, just cutting back (or cutting out) the soda. I lost six pounds in my first week of Weight Watchers all those years ago (100 pounds overweight), and I've heard of other folks losing even more in the first few weeks. Not typical weight losses, mind you, but when your body is loaded down, and you take control, the first month can be pretty exciting. The problem with the other programs is that they are very challenging to sustain: you get bored, and your body often gets sick for various reasons.

I remember walking with a friend of mine, who would tell me stories about folks who had weight-loss surgery and how they would lose the weight, but never quite look right: peaked skin, pallor was off, and they just weren't the same afterward, not to mention the fact that they'd get sick if they ate too much, or had certain types of food. I knew that, in my mind, weight-loss surgery was just about as radical as eating bacon six times a day to lose weight, or only eating salad greens all day (so hungry!)

I started following the Starch Solution program the day I was traveling for a week with co-workers. Traveling, for me, is usually very hard being both a vegan and, back then, a Weight Watchers person. With the Starch Solution, I could go to a steakhouse with the guys and know I could eat. I would order a dry baked potato, and a plate of steamed veggies, with a side salad. Each time I ate out, I knew what to ask for, and I never left hungry. In fact, while my co-workers would say they were hungry an hour or two later (after eating a 1/2 pound steak, really?!), I would still feel full/satisfied.

The coolest part? Even with traveling, and eating at least two oily (but 100% vegan) meals, I've lost 6 pounds as of today. That's under two weeks, and I was never hungry. Another nice thing is that it's actually cheaper shopping for McDougall's plan, because you get veggies and a big bag or two of potatoes. Instead of the potatoes growing eyes like they used to, now they actually get eaten; guilt-free.

Oh, and the reason why I decided to post today wasn't just the six-pound loss, but it was also another milestone: back on the other side of the scale again. Hooray!

I still have some weight to lose, but I can tell already that this program is sustainable, vegan-friendly (an important part of the ethical side of my life), and that I have a great support team out there!

Thanks to everyone out there who shares their stories, and I look forward to updating this post as things progress.

Oh, and I'm budgeting both time and money to hopefully take either the McDougall 10-Day Residential Program, or at least one of the weekend retreats, next year. Here's hoping!
ImageImage
amarand

Re: My Journey

Postby sksamboots » Fri May 25, 2012 7:45 am

Thanks for sharing your journey. Keep up the good work and keep on keeping on :nod:
sksamboots

Postby amarand » Fri May 25, 2012 7:48 am

sksamboots wrote:Thanks for sharing your journey. Keep up the good work and keep on keeping on :nod:

Thank you! I want that huge pile of veggies in your profile picture! :)
ImageImage
amarand

Postby amarand » Wed May 30, 2012 8:35 am

Wow! So, seven pounds in sixteen days, and the first full week of that was traveling - eating out for almost every meal. So, really, most of this was since last Monday (5/21)!

The Starch Solution is awesome, because although I have years of weighing-and-measuring experience, it's nice to just say: "I'm going to eat a baked potato with stuff on top of it, and veggies on the side; I'm going to chew and eat slower, not rush, and stop when I'm satisfied."

One of the main things I keep reminding myself - and I wish there were a chart for this - is the fact that excess starch is just excreted, whereas fat/oil is stored. When you start to focus on starch, and don't stuff yourself, you find that all of a sudden the weight starts to drop off, because the weight is caused by fat (oil and animal fat), not starch.

When I think about starch, or tell others about it, I remind them about how termites eat wood - which is basically just a different type of cellulose - and how we are genetically coded to have the enzymes to eat starch. It's nice to know that you have genetics on your side for once....

Also, bread...wow! It's amazing how much bread makes a difference in weight loss (I eat bread, I gain weight; I stop eating bread, I lose weight). Perhaps I'm gluten intolerant? Or perhaps bread just makes you fat? I have no idea....

Anyway...when I find myself eating out (rarely!) I explain as much as I can to my dining companions, and I find that helps keep things fresh in my mind.

I just finished The Starch Solution and have been watching the VegSource "Get Healthy Now" DVD sets - a bit old (2005, 2006 and 2007) but eventually I'll buy some of the newer sets, and see some of the latest science.

Having watched a lot of different folks talk at the VegSource conferences, I find myself wondering how they all work together. Lots of nuggets of truth in there. I think, for me, I like to focus on starch, no animal products, but also getting in the 20%-ish veggies and 10%-ish fruit.

Although I originally took the weight off using Weight Watchers (before and after shown below), I wasn't able to keep it all off out of boredom and never really being satisfied. When I started McDougalling, I was 30 pounds over my goal, and not really comfortable in my thinner clothes. I feel a lot better even seven pounds later, and I feel that, with the Starch Solution, I can get back down to my goal weight, and keep it off for life. Plus, I know that my whole body will be as healthy as it can be!

AmarandBefore by Amarand Agasi, on Flickr

AmarandAfter by Amarand Agasi, on Flickr
ImageImage
amarand

Postby Gramma Jackie » Wed May 30, 2012 2:34 pm

Whether you do the regular program as outlined in The Starch Solution or Maximum Weight Loss, the weight will come off. It's just stands to reason that cutting out as much fat and oil as possible and filling up with non-fat starchy foods and vegetables will cause weight loss.
Gramma Jackie

Postby oregonmom » Wed May 30, 2012 8:11 pm

I love how we can inspire each other. You are doing great! That after pic says it all-wow! If you can do this while traveling, that says so much. Keep it up. :-)
oregonmom

Postby amarand » Thu May 31, 2012 7:31 am

Gramma Jackie wrote:Whether you do the regular program as outlined in The Starch Solution or Maximum Weight Loss, the weight will come off. It's just stands to reason that cutting out as much fat and oil as possible and filling up with non-fat starchy foods and vegetables will cause weight loss.

Now that I know to look for the oils...that's the big thing. It's shocking how removing the processed oils, sugars and flours really helps immeasurably. There really should be a name for what I was before...Cupcake Vegan? :P
ImageImage
amarand

Postby amarand » Thu May 31, 2012 7:33 am

oregonmom wrote:I love how we can inspire each other. You are doing great! That after pic says it all-wow! If you can do this while traveling, that says so much. Keep it up. :-)

The "after" picture is also an inspiration to me because that's the weight that I'm heading back to - and the "before" picture is not just a reminder of where I was, but also the direction I never want to head again. *Shudders*
ImageImage
amarand

Postby time4me » Thu May 31, 2012 8:02 am

As a former (and failed) Weight Watcher, I totally get what you're saying! I do think it's a good program for some but not for vegetarian/vegans. I could never get my head around how high in POINTS a healthy bowl of brown rice could be, and how low in POINTS junk food is! :eek:

Thank you for sharing your story; I've just started my journey and am looking forward to following yours.
time4me

Postby amarand » Thu May 31, 2012 9:12 am

time4me wrote:I could never get my head around how high in POINTS a healthy bowl of brown rice could be, and how low in POINTS junk food is! :eek:

Something's terribly wrong with a program that doesn't take the healthiness of the food into consideration. I "loved" seeing the snack products on the shelf, seeing ingredients such as high fructose corn syrup, dairy, sugar, salt...you name it. Portioning out junk food doesn't make it less junky. :(
ImageImage
amarand

Postby proverbs31woman » Thu May 31, 2012 11:36 am

I LOVED reading about your journey. It's so inspirational. I tried Weight Watchers for a few days some years back, and as soon as I couldn't deal with being hungry anymore, I tossed it and decided to return to Dr. McDougall. I can't see myself being on any plan that calls for portion control. I've gotten spoiled by the McDougall Plan---I must be able to eat until I'm satisfied.

I'm glad you're enjoying it. It feels good to find a program that works.
proverbs31woman

Postby amarand » Thu May 31, 2012 2:14 pm

proverbs31woman wrote:I LOVED reading about your journey. It's so inspirational. I tried Weight Watchers for a few days some years back, and as soon as I couldn't deal with being hungry anymore, I tossed it and decided to return to Dr. McDougall. I can't see myself being on any plan that calls for portion control. I've gotten spoiled by the McDougall Plan---I must be able to eat until I'm satisfied.

The problem I have with eating-until-I'm-satisfied outside of McDougall is that generally, I was eating a lot of processed foods that don't trigger the "I'm full" until it's too late. In one of the VegSource videos (I think it was Dr. Fuhrman, maybe?) they show the stomach with different types of food, with stomach stretch receptors and other receptors that gauge richness of food. It's a great visual indicator to see how the starch/veggie/fruit mixture fills your stomach versus SAD foods or just oil.

proverbs31woman wrote:I'm glad you're enjoying it. It feels good to find a program that works.

Oh, for sure, and with McDougall's emphasis on eating and living healthfully, you know that when you're where you are weight-wise, it's not time to go back to your garbage foods. I love the idea of being healthy for the rest of my life, and although I've heard of people saying that they'd rather eat the junk food than add quality years to their lives, I'd rather avoid the pain and expense.

One of the things that gets me is knowing that to the industrial medical complex, "there's no money in healthy people, no money in dead people, the money is in the people who are alive, sort of." - Bill Maher

I reeeeeally don't want to be "just alive...sort of." And that's a great motivator to stay on-track.
ImageImage
amarand

Postby marmoset » Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:21 am

Great story! It resonates a lot with me because I too am an ethical vegan, and during a tough time in my life (2010) I gained a LOT of weight. On January 1, 2011 I weighed 185. (I should probably weigh around 140.) I started out doing the regular McDougall plan last year (but wasn't really that strict) and then this March I finally got serious about doing MWL (at which point I weighed 170). In the three weeks that I've been serious about MWL, I've lost another 7 pounds. It feels so good!

One thing I like to think about when I'm eating this way is that it's good for the animals, the planet, and for ME, and the healthier I am the more of this wonderful world I get to experience. I went on a nice hike on Saturday and felt really good about myself and my choices.

Congrats, and keep us posted!

marmoset
marmoset

Postby amarand » Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:35 am

Just wanted to post an update. It's really nice to see the weight falling off naturally and at a reasonable rate. To me, that's always felt more sustainable.

Some of the things I've noticed:

* After avoiding wheat gluten, I can physically tell when a certain amount "creeps" into my food. And by creeps, I mean, I have a slice or two of wheat bread rather than gluten-free bread or homemade tortillas/baked chips.

* I avoid as much free oil as I can. Whenever I eat out - where a lot of the free oil seems to be - I tend to break-out with acne and feel differently.

* Although the weight has been slowly falling off (which is nice, don't get me wrong...just sometimes people want things to happen faster), I've started to feel more comfortable in my clothes, which is nice. To borrow from Weight Watchers: A welcome non-scale victory.

One of the things that I love thinking about is the science behind how excess starch is simply eliminated, whereas free oil is pretty much stored as fat. Once you think about that, and hear it in as many ways possible, it's really easy to simply avoid the free oils.

The only thing I've been a little sad about is that most restaurants are heavy in the fat, salt and sugar areas - so I've had to shift eating out to a treat, rather than the norm. Eating at home, and at the office, is awesome though. It's cheaper, and I feel a ton better.

I have a big work-weekend coming up, and I've already scoped out the microwave and fridge/freezer, so instead of pizza-and-soda (scary), I'll bring a potato, a small container of vegan chili and a fresh ear of corn. Yum!
ImageImage
amarand

Postby proverbs31woman » Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:04 am

It's good to get an update from you. I love to follow your journey. I understand what you mean about eating out. I love to eat out because I like restaurants with a good ambience, but a lot of times it's difficult to get them to understand how to cook food without oil and dairy. The vegetarian options are usually full of those ingredients.
proverbs31woman

Next

Return to Testimonials and Success Stories