I reversed my Coronary Artery Disease

Share your McDougall successes here in order to inspire others.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

I reversed my Coronary Artery Disease

Postby Ricardo » Mon May 23, 2011 6:07 am

(I would like to add that I am also a user of Dr. Pinckney´s "Discussion Group on Reversal of Coronary Artery Disease at http://www.vegsource.com/talk/healingheart/ and that I am gratful to all doctors that have worked and publised material on CAD Reversal: Dr. Esselstyn, Dr. Mc Dougall, Dr. Ornish, Dr. Gould, Dr. Withtaker, etc. They all reassured me that Reversal could be achieved as in fact I did get it reversed. I recently discovered this Discussion Board and I am also loving it! :-)
Both discussion groups are great!).

************************************************************************************************************

After 3 and half years of being diagnosed with coronary heart disease I had the courage to see if the disease had arrested, got worst or had reversed. Both PET Scan and tread mill stress tests showed that the heart now is normal. Please note that 2007 and 2011 tests were made with same doctors, at same hospital (one of the best here in Rio de Janeiro - Brasil) and with same PET equipment. Blood flow is ok inside my heart. This is more than enough for me.

37 months ago when in a routine checkup I failed a tread mill stress test and with following PET Scan and computerized axial tomography scans the disease was reconfirmed.

Then I changed my lifestyle to Vegan and Very Low Fat plant based food.

After few weeks I lost about 30 pounds, my blood pressure came from 13X9 down to 11X7 when my doctor asked me to stop taking BP medicine.

After about a year he asked me to reduce statins, as my cholesterol was too low for him. Now my total cholesterol is 100 and in next appointment I will ask if I can reduce statins a little bit more to try reach 120 to 130 marks.

A plus of all of this diet was to solve digestion problems I had that what a doctor diagnosed as "Irritable Bowel Syndrome". Plant based food is easier to digest and seems that my body likes to flow it not too fast...

I have also to add that almost everyday I walk “briskly” for about 40 minutes and that white tea is my favorite drink.
I am writing all this to encourage others to be persistent in changing their lifestyles to prevent or to try to reverse this disease.

(Here I decided to bring information I wrote in a previus post about the ideas and observations that I got while reversing my CAD):

Let me expose the ideas that I went collecting from many sources since I decided to control my CAD disease. I started with the fears of the unknown. I did not know what was necessary to control, who could be of help, what was serious to follow, etc. As I live in Brazil, the Internet was very useful to discover the sites of American doctors that work with CAD reversal. To begin with I had my doubts, but their biographies, studies and proven results convinced me! I went vegan and VLF as they offer the best results. My first surprise it was to loose weight, the second surprise it was to solve lower BP without pills and the big one it was to get OK stress treadmills/PET tests result. After almost 4 years of getting many ideas and reversing that disease I see now the opportunity to relate them here. They gave me strength to keep on a Vegan/VLF and exercising lifestyle.

Tomography tests and angiograms help to reveal the percentage of blockages, caused by aggregations of bad cholesterol (LDL) to the inner part of arteries. These aggregations form plaques. Cholesterol plaques inside arteries with time become larger, blocking blood to flow normally through arteries. But new plaques today are considered responsible for 88 % of heart attacks! I learned that it is not the old plaques that put us at most risk for heart attacks (from Dr. C. Esselstyn´s writings and many other doctors). Contrary to the old concept, thought to be the cause of 100% of heart attacks, according to Dr. Esselstyn they should be in fact responsible for only 12% of the observed heart attacks. According to many authors plant-based food and Very Low Fat (VLF) diets would not produce new plaques. They help to heal arteries. At same time not eating animal products helps in reducing total cholesterol levels to the optimal levels of less than 150, when the chances of a heart attack are at the very smallest.

In reality the major problem is the new and smaller plaque that may rupture its cap and bleed into the coronary artery. In that situation our body tries to heal the rupture activating platelets that form clots, to close the rupture. The clot is self-propagating and within few minutes the entire artery is blocked. In other hand with time old plaques that don’t rupture become hard with calcium and scars. When we eat plant-based food and with very low fat (VLF), new plaques should stop forming under the endothelium of all arteries of our bodies, including the heart and brain.

Calcium is not the major problem, as it may be remodeling, keeping the amount of blood flow almost the same. One of the wise goals in reversing is to heal the endothelium, the inner part of the arteries, with plant-based food and only if necessary using statins. The objective is to make the components of the endothelium work again with functions like vasodilatation.

Dr. Louis Ignarro was awarded a Nobel Prize in Medicine for his discovery that nitric oxide helps blood flow to every part of our body, allowing vasodilatation. Nitric Oxide production may be boosted in our bodies with the help of plant-based food like kale, green tea, flax seed, etc. An article recommends to chew green leave, mixing with saliva for better results.

The other wise goal is exercising, to allow collaterals in veins to activate to form a natural bypass. The key result is to restore the flow inside the heart, despite much calcium in arteries, avoiding new plaques and removing cholesterol. All this is changing how doctors see and treat CAD´s.

Bottom line: To have in mind that besides Plant-Based food (a plant does not have cholesterol), if total cholesterol is lowered to less than 150, according Dr. Esselstyn we become virtually heart attack proof. Reversal starts a few weeks after we become vegan and VLF as blood flow inside the heart improves.

(Please note that I am not a medical doctor and that this is just to present my personal case and that I cannot give medical advice, but I would be happy to share my experience with Vegan and VLF lifestyle).
Last edited by Ricardo on Sun Aug 21, 2011 7:49 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Ricardo

Re: I reversed my Cardiac Artery Disease

Postby f1jim » Mon May 23, 2011 6:53 am

I'd like to mention that I know Ricardo from the Dr. Pinckney healthy heart forum where I saw his first posts looking for help with his issues. He truly has done what many here have done in recovering his health and doing it through a plant based diet. Dr. Pinckney has a program that is virtually identical to the McDougall program and those here would find it very familiar. Also, Dr. Pinckney was able to reverse his own heart disease using this program making it all the more remarkable.
I'd like to welcome Recardo and say thanks for his story. We look forward to your contributions to this site. You might also be our first member from Brazil!
f1jim
While adopting this diet and lifestyle program I have reversed my heart disease, high cholesterol, hypertension, and lost 54 lbs. You can follow my story at https://www.drmcdougall.com/james-brown/
f1jim

Postby Starchyme » Mon May 23, 2011 7:16 am

Ricardo, my hearty congratulations. Such wonderful news. You must be on cloud 9. You are such an inspiration to us all. Hope you are contemplating writing your 'Star McDougaller' testimony.
Happy McDougalling!
Starchyme

Postby Birdy » Mon May 23, 2011 9:40 am

Hi Ricardo,
I am so happy for you. My brother who is only 59 has gone through heart disease similar to yours, but he wouldn't even look at the information about low fat plant based diets. His health and mind have deteriorated badly over the past 20 years. So you have chosen the "high road" to health and you're very wise to have done so. Please continue to share your story here as you are an inspiration for us.

Congratulations!
"The program is essentially cost and risk free." ~ Dr. John McDougall
Birdy

Postby Melinda » Mon May 23, 2011 9:44 am

Congratulations Ricardo and welcome! I remember seeing your name on Dr. Pinckney's forum. What amount of blockage did you have? A friend of ours has just been diagnosed with an 80% blockage in his right artery and I sent him some info. He has Dr. Ornish's book from 1994 re Reversing Heart Disease, and is checking it out again. I am hoping he will follow the program, because I told his wife that the meds have lots of side effects. He has a friend that just suffered a heart attack at the age of 45, and who is an avid cyclist.
Melinda

Postby Ricardo » Mon May 23, 2011 9:59 am

Melinda wrote:Congratulations Ricardo and welcome! I remember seeing your name on Dr. Pinckney's forum. What amount of blockage did you have? A friend of ours has just been diagnosed with an 80% blockage in his right artery and I sent him some info. He has Dr. Ornish's book from 1994 re Reversing Heart Disease, and is checking it out again. I am hoping he will follow the program, because I told his wife that the meds have lots of side effects. He has a friend that just suffered a heart attack at the age of 45, and who is an avid cyclist.

I had (and possible reduced a little at least), 50 to 70 %
blockage, what was not as bad as other patients I know. But the calcium is not the big problem, as there is remodeling keeping many times the size of the flow almost the same. If you wish I can refer a study about) The big problem and wise goal in reversing is to heal the endothelium, the inner part of the arteries, with plant base food to make the components of the endothelium to work again. There is a Nobel prize doc backing this concept.
The other wise goal is exercising, to allow collaterals veins to activate to form a natural bypass. Other aspects are in reversal and I could refer publications on all of them. The important result is to restore the flow inside the heart, despite much calcium in arteries. All this is changing how docs see CAD´s and I am happy to recognize all that and to improve my overall health:
lower BP, better digestion and best of all to avoid heart attacks and strokes.
No little things as you can imagin. Thank for let me explain part of the aspects of my reversal.
Ricardo

Postby Faith in DC » Mon May 23, 2011 11:46 am

Welcome aboard Ricardo. May I ask, was your Doctor onboard and behind you on the decision to change your diet? I was wondering if recommended it or how you found out about it. If you found it on your own, you are one smart man.

I hope you stick around, many could benefit from your knowledge.
Faith
I'm in training for maintaining
Faith in DC

Postby BeanBubby » Mon May 23, 2011 5:19 pm

Ricardo it's so nice to 'meet' you! I enjoyed your posts on Dr. Pinckney's site so much. I found you very encouraging and motivating!

Glad to see you here!

Bubz
BeanBubby

Postby Ricardo » Mon May 23, 2011 5:38 pm

Thank you all for the welcome I got here in your forum, that now on I will consider mine too. This is my first day here and I am still getting familiar with the way to post replies and formats.

I am so happy to find more friends that all have in ommon: to fight diseases through good food that allows the body to heal it self !

Thank you again and please excuse me for mistakes when posting replies.
Last edited by Ricardo on Mon May 23, 2011 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ricardo

Postby Ricardo » Mon May 23, 2011 6:23 pm

Melinda wrote:Congratulations Ricardo and welcome! I remember seeing your name on Dr. Pinckney's forum. What amount of blockage did you have? A friend of ours has just been diagnosed with an 80% blockage in his right artery and I sent him some info. He has Dr. Ornish's book from 1994 re Reversing Heart Disease, and is checking it out again. I am hoping he will follow the program, because I told his wife that the meds have lots of side effects. He has a friend that just suffered a heart attack at the age of 45, and who is an avid cyclist.

I had (and possible reduced a little at least), 50 to 70 %
blockage, what was not as bad as other patients I know. But the calcium is not the big problem, as there is remodeling keeping many times the size of the flow almost the same. If you wish I can refer a study about) The big problem and wise goal in reversing is to heal the endothelium, the inner part of the arteries, with plant base food to make the components of the endothelium to work again. There is a Nobel prize doc backing this concept.
The other wise goal is exercising, to allow collaterals veins to activate to form a natural bypass. Other aspects are in reversal and I could refer publications on all of them. The important result is to restore the flow inside the heart, despite much calcium in arteries. All this is changing how docs see CAD´s and I am happy to recognize all that and to improve my overall health:
lower BP, better digestion and best of all to avoid heart attacks and strokes.
No little things as you can imagin. Thank for let me explain part of the aspects of my reversal.
Last edited by Ricardo on Mon May 23, 2011 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ricardo

Postby Ricardo » Mon May 23, 2011 6:26 pm

Faith in DC wrote:Welcome aboard Ricardo. May I ask, was your Doctor onboard and behind you on the decision to change your diet? I was wondering if recommended it or how you found out about it. If you found it on your own, you are one smart man.

I hope you stick around, many could benefit from your knowledge.

Faith, I was far from being smart, but a convicted afraid man. When a doctor went as far as to make an appointment in my behalf, to get an angiogram and planned to insert stents, he made me a fearful man. Then my wife mentioned a magazine here in Brazil, written by respected doctors, mentioning that for cases like mine (non symptomatic, eschemia detected when doing stress tests, etc.) would be better to treat it just with medicine.
After that, I bought about 10 books on Reversal from Amazon books and from them I preferred to follow first Esselstyn, Ornish and Mc Dougall. Second I also liked K Gould book. Other doctors’ books were worthy to confirm that is possible to reverse. I went Vegan and VLF because I wanted to get reversed my CAD. Most doctors are not used to clients that are eager to "sacrifice" eating vegan style and being VLF people. It happens that I loved the new life style: Vegan, VLF and walking briskly 40 minutes a day. The food is delicious. My Doctor here supported my goals. First in not to get stents, what after PET and CAT scans with moderated clogging (50 to 70%) he ruled out for good. He accepted my decision to go Vegan, but said that just few clients would do what I was doing. Most would prefer pills solutions. He became a friend. He is very much respected by other M.D.´s here.
Ricardo

Postby Faith in DC » Wed May 25, 2011 11:50 am

Sounds like your Doctor is very open minded and I hope he does more research, and embraces this concept so he can spread the word. We need more of them doing that.

Many of us start out on the scared side Ricardo. You are smart for researching and finding another way beside medicines. From what I've seen of Brazilian folks their diet is very meat laden so you are going against tradition in so many ways.
Faith
Faith in DC

Postby Ricardo » Wed May 25, 2011 7:37 pm

[quote="Faith in DC"]Sounds like your Doctor is very open minded and I hope he does more research, and embraces this concept so he can spread the word. We need more of them doing that.]

Faith,
tradition is to be kept if it brings advantages. In our case, here in Brazil, meat is unfortunately the tradition, but in other hand with beans, bananas, kale, oranges, etc. More people here are getting fat each day, because we add to our traditional fat food the habit of bear, fast food and pizzas, what in my young adulthood were non existent. I see more fat people than before…

But I have also seen changes starting to emerge in food habits, as we have seen before regarding smoking. What we would need now it would be General Surgeons in our countries making statements against fat food and recommending more vegetables in our tables.

I went to many doctors after I got a CAD diagnostic. Some doctors were just for mechanic solutions, but I also found doctors that would be receptive to exercise plus VLF diets. But I did not see doctors that would be very positive that is possible to reverse CADs with Plant Based Food and at same time prepared to support many clients to reverse the disease lowering cholesterol with vegan diets, for exemple. There is a new service market for doctors in Brazil and other world countries. I think that forums like this and of Dr.Pinckney are very useful for the newbies and for veterans clients . I see McDougall program as a new way to provide such services, with practice and fast results. I also got informed that are other doctors that have (or had) programs with the same objective (K Gould, J Wihtaker, Ornish, etc.).

My doctor tries to provide the best service, keeps updated with modern techniques. He now has a PhD degree obtained in a high quality university. His thesis is modern. When I speak about him to other doctors, all of them show respect for him.

I left some of the books I used to interns of hospitals. Young doctors may see value on them in order to treat clients with Plant Based food and VLF to reverse their CAD´s.

I believe that we form a new market of better-informed customers (clients) for medicine services and that the market will adapt to serve us. Sometimes it is the customer (client) that has to manage the provider (doctor) and if the provider (doctor) does not provide the services that we expect it is a must to fire the provider.

And now a little humor: I will keep my doctor, nutritionist and wife, (all of them because they avoided stents in my heart, supporting my new vegan addition), but I may switch the street farmer’s market where I buy my veggies (here we call feira) for an organic plants market also near home, because they don´t know anything about reversion using Plant Based food...
Ricardo

Postby Faith in DC » Fri May 27, 2011 1:04 pm

Thank you Ricardo. I read Whitacker and Ornish also.

You are helping to spread the word in Brazil. This is good since there probably isn't too many vegetarians, much less vegans there, and forgot about the VLF vegan. Your leaving of some of the books is great. I often leave McD's newsletter at the Hair Salon. Hey they can throw it out, but I'm hoping someone reads it.

Glad you are keeping your wife along with the doctor and nutritionist. :-P
Faith
Faith in DC

Postby Ricardo » Fri May 27, 2011 3:36 pm

Faith in DC wrote:Thank you Ricardo. I read Whitacker and Ornish also.

You are helping to spread the word in Brazil. This is good since there probably isn't too many vegetarians, much less vegans there, and forgot about the VLF vegan. Your leaving of some of the books is great. I often leave McD's newsletter at the Hair Salon. Hey they can throw it out, but I'm hoping someone reads it.

Glad you are keeping your wife along with the doctor and nutritionist. :-P

Good Idea. I will translate to portuguese some articles on Reversing CAD. Yesterday I met a cardiologist that uses the word " Reverse" and believes on it. He may help me on this.
About the humor lines: I am glad you liked the humor lines, as I entered the internet for :P and I got it... Now changing the humor lines to be politically correct: my wife said that if I had not reversed my CAD she would dump me at a hospital to fix me with mechanical solutions(stents, bypasses, etc)! I tried...

Tentative to regain serius lines: Why not to bring the translated articles to the farmer´s market and to give it away to customers and to those that sell fruits and vegetables?
I am also doing my best with emails to friends and family telling my success.
Lets keep on going with the new world of prevention and healing with the support of VLF and vegetables !
Ricardo

Next

Return to Testimonials and Success Stories