Eating out-- still too salty and oily!

Share your McDougall successes here in order to inspire others.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Eating out-- still too salty and oily!

Postby ParsleyPatch » Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:01 am

Just wanted to share what I've heard, to be true.

After several weeks of McDougalling faithfully, and I do mean to the "T", I've been able to order nice, big dressing-free salads with lots of veggies and such eating out, even in a Mexican restaurant last week (with cactus pear, which was great!). But at a different one tonight, there were no salads on the menu so I got the next best thing, spinach enchiladas with no cheese.

It was made with corn tortillas, spinach, mushrooms, and onions with a green tomatilla sauce. Pretty good, actually. BUT! I could see oiliness on the plate, however slight, and everything tasted much too salty, especially the whole beans on the side, which I couldn't eat because of that saltiness.

I never noticed these things before!

I used to eat tons of cheese so this small amount of oiliness on the plate is nothing compared to that, but it's all I could think of! And I was annoyed at the sodium content, thinking "Why did they have to ruin it with salt!"

McDougalling really does change your preferences! :-D
One who is forever grateful to Dr. McDougall for showing me the way to optimal health!
ParsleyPatch

Re: Eating out-- still too salty and oily!

Postby Vegankit » Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:28 am

:D That's wonderful.
Vegankit
Vegankit

Postby serenity » Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:43 am

:-D :-D
serenity

Postby f1jim » Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:48 am

Eating out is really like walking a minefield for serious McDougallers. There is so much hidden, butter, oil, salt, and god knows what in prepared foods that anyone doing it must surely realize it's a serious compromise to eating healthy. We can excuse away, and be in denial, about what is in this food, but the reality is it compromises our way of eating with very few exceptions. I live in a major urban area and I can count on one hand the places that can fulfill my eating requirements. And even then I am not 100% convinced it is what I am being told it is. I know how hard it is for me to stay within guidelines in my own home, with my own food, much less the commercial cooks in restaurants do.
Reality is reality, no matter what I do to try to bend it!
f1jim
While adopting this diet and lifestyle program I have reversed my heart disease, high cholesterol, hypertension, and lost 54 lbs. You can follow my story at https://www.drmcdougall.com/james-brown/
f1jim

Postby ParsleyPatch » Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:02 pm

I couldn't possibly agree with you more, f1jim --- it's something I deal with all the time now because my significant other, who is a MAJOR omnivore, lives for Mexican food and margaritas every single Friday night when he gets off work. I've been able to order salads-no-dressing 2 or 3 times now, but last night was a compromise gone bad. However, it only reinforced my horror regarding restaurant food and my determination to be 100% McDougallized.

I could choose to not go out at all, but he would pout for weeks. He's fully aware of my new McDougall lifestyle and has no interest in giving up his beloved meat, beer, and junk food. (Opposites attract??) I'm hoping some McDougalling will wear off on him but it's unlikely. He is one stubborn, habit-clinging dude!

I'll try cooking some McDougall-friendly foods for him sometime instead (we don't live together), but he's not the slightest bit interested in even trying it.

Next time, I'll just ask for a bowl of lettuce and a lemon.
One who is forever grateful to Dr. McDougall for showing me the way to optimal health!
ParsleyPatch

Postby BarbP » Sat Feb 05, 2011 4:13 pm

I'm new enough not to have attempted eating out much yet, but I do love Mexican food and know that will be hard for me. I have pigged out on refried beans and tortillas a few times.

Today we had 4 generations eating together with my parents at their independent living facility dining room. And there is very little on their menu for anyone who is eating a plant based diet. I guess they don't want them to outlive their money!

They fixed a baked sweet potato and steamed vegetables for me, which are always available by request only. Several residents around me commented that they were going to start ordering this in the future.

And my 2 year old great niece ate at least half of my steamed vegetables--she prefers them that way. If only we could keep those instinctive tastes throughout our lives!

Barbara
BarbP

Postby Faith in DC » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:48 am

Parsley
What about the SO picking up take out Mexican on Fridays, and bringing it over. You can make margueritta's at home. That way you can have some of your own safe food. I use to do that with my old SO.
Faith
I'm in training for maintaining
Faith in DC

Postby Steve » Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:37 pm

When I eat in a Mexican Restaurant I order six to eight corn tortillas, whole beans (if available) and a small side salad. When ordering the salad I ask for no cheese, no croutons and no meat. If they do not understand I ask for just tomatoes and lettuce.

I got the recommendation on eating out from I think, Dr. McDougall's Total Health Solution for the 21rst century DVD, I think. here is a link. I think it is the number 5 selection available for $3 as an E-Lecture. Here is the link. http://drmcdougall.com/store_electures.html
Steve

Postby carollynne » Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:32 pm

:roll: HI, I m a newbie, but have been at the vegan eating style for over 2 yrs, a bit at a time. I just discovered this website and wow, I plan to stick to it, I've had a lot of help with my 2 sons, who dragged me along with them eating vegan only. But have you ever noticed how many vegan yet high sugar products are at teh store, like Oreos??
OH, but my husband, is a big meat eater. But today I was able to shame him into eating some of the best soup I have made in a long long time. He has said he will give up the cheese chunks, and for that I am thankful.
We used to love the local Mexican places, and then they all became too greasy and salty, for me, but I do like their spinach fajitas, but again, too greasy!! with lettuce and tomatoes. The local Chinese take out place has a Diet menu of only steamed veggies and non fried tofu and the only sauce comes on the side, soy with ginger, it is good!! I can not believe how I used to love take out Chinese and now it is way too greasy off their non-diet menu.
For me, I like my own food better than any restaurant, and I know what I am eating then.
I have lost about 60 lbs and never thought I'd be in the 150s ever again. cured my NAFLD!! Feel great!! Wt loss is so good for the knees and back, ankle, that I know I will never start back to the SAD way of eating again.
carollynne

Postby janluvs2heel » Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:44 pm

carollynne wrote::roll: HI, I m a newbie, but have been at the vegan eating style for over 2 yrs, a bit at a time. I just discovered this website and wow, I plan to stick to it, I've had a lot of help with my 2 sons, who dragged me along with them eating vegan only. But have you ever noticed how many vegan yet high sugar products are at teh store, like Oreos??
and I know what I am eating then.

This is the 2nd time I have seen Oreos mentioned as being vegan. Is that true? I find it hard to believe they dont have some kind of dairy, eggs, etc. in their mix. Not that I want to eat them, but I was just curious.

Jan
janluvs2heel

Postby victw » Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:25 pm

janluvs2heel wrote:
carollynne wrote::roll: HI, I m a newbie, but have been at the vegan eating style for over 2 yrs, a bit at a time. I just discovered this website and wow, I plan to stick to it, I've had a lot of help with my 2 sons, who dragged me along with them eating vegan only. But have you ever noticed how many vegan yet high sugar products are at teh store, like Oreos??
and I know what I am eating then.

This is the 2nd time I have seen Oreos mentioned as being vegan. Is that true? I find it hard to believe they dont have some kind of dairy, eggs, etc. in their mix. Not that I want to eat them, but I was just curious.

Jan

Here ya go
http://www.peta.org/living/vegetarian-l ... vegan.aspx

Open up the snack's arrow!!! Interesting the irony of it - saving animals lives but putting junk in their own bodies.

Best wishes.
Vic

P.S. I did not read the whole thread - just responding to the last post before mine.
11/1/19 Sloppy - 137.6/21.55
1/1/19 Still maintaining - 134.8/21.11
10/12/18 Maintenance wt - 136.4 BMI 21.36
5/6/18 151.8 lbs 23.8 - Normal. 4/8/18 154.6 lbs BMI 24.2 - Normal. 3/11/18 161 BMI 25.2 Overweight.
3 years staying on plan is the goal.
victw

Postby ParsleyPatch » Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:30 am

Thank you, Steve, above.... great suggestion, and I downloaded the eLecture plus a few more. Perfect idea!

I went to Applebees tonight (to make Significant Other happy), a place that HAS to have THE most fattening menu items ever! I shutter to think I used to eat that stuff in my old life. It made me sick just to look at it.

But I asked for a salad without the cheese, bacon bits, and croutons and just lemon wedges plus a plain baked potato. They happily accommodated me and it was delicious! The salad had greens, generous grape tomatoes, and cucumber slices. Not a speck of oil or salt to be seen anywhere. Oh, and it came to $5!

It pays to ask.... :nod:
ParsleyPatch

Postby carollynne » Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:52 am

Yes I know it is very hard to believe what is vegan on the market shelves. I have 2 sons who went all vegan a few yrs again, dragging me along, and now here I am a mcdougaller! If you don't believe that there are some cookies on the market shelf that are vegan, just read the ingredient list yourself.
It may not be very good for you, but there it is. IN fact theyare not, way too sugary, but I love the mint ones myself. I prefer my own vegan oatmeal cookies, but at the moment I am trying to not eat all that sugar that I don't need.
Sticking with the plan here!!
Have a good day all, I am counting my blessings big time today!
I have lost about 60 lbs and never thought I'd be in the 150s ever again. cured my NAFLD!! Feel great!! Wt loss is so good for the knees and back, ankle, that I know I will never start back to the SAD way of eating again.
carollynne

Return to Testimonials and Success Stories