I worked hard to become a Diabetic!

Share your McDougall successes here in order to inspire others.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

I worked hard to become a Diabetic!

Postby dollmaker » Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:03 pm

But I will eat my way out of it!

I have been on and off this plan for several years due to whatever reasons.
Last Tuesday, the doc wanted to do a cholesterol test for no apparent reason, but I submitted to the finger stick. I knew something was going on with my body as my eyes blurred on a regular basis, my feet and legs began to have tiny tingles, my thirst was unquenchable, I seemed to be hungry all the time,whereas before i didn't eat much...and I continued to get urinary tract infections for no good reason...

so they did a blood sugar test too, to find out a fasting of 130, with an A1c of 6.4 told them I was finally diabetic..

they told me all about how I need to now follow the ADA diet and take metaformin ( if I wanted to, since I wasn't so bad yet).. i shared with them taht I had the solution, they smiled and said well you really need to stay away from too much starch.

So, I guess what I want to say, is I had tried this health plan 11yrs ago, very successfully I may ad. I ended up stopping it due to not having a kitchen to cook in. After gaining back my 50lbs +, and feeling worse than I had ever felt then having no motivation to go back. I was pleasantly surprised with that diagnosis...because now since I have NO CHOICE, I must eat healthily.. and I must eat starch! Not for weight loss, but for a new goal, my health... for some reason, it has made all the difference for me. The difference i have been waiting for. Y ou can't change anything u ntil you are ready for the change.

I am married to a big time carnivore, donut-a-holic...he has mirriads of health problems, but refuses to give up his style of eating.. and that's ok with me, because with my future ( and present) success with this program, I can physically show him it works, and he too can be pill free.

I f eel fabulous, I lost 7lbs in less than aweek, no more blurred vision ( after just one day), no more headaches, no aches and pains ( though I do have a back issue that occasionally still creeps up, weight loss will help) no tingly's in the feet, no thirst, total excitement this time around, since it is the last time around..

My brother, Jeff Armstrong, has been a mcdougall vegan for 11yrs. he has always been an encouragement, and is happy I have joined the health nuts, my father has been a mcdougall vegan for 4yrs, and has done great at 86...

I have seen this health plan heal, and change lives.. I do believe in it.. and I have found my niche amongst the starches...

wish me luck and thanks for listening!

robin seeber
Robin Armstrong Seeber[color=#0040BF]www.outsidetheboxprimitives.com[b]
[email protected][/color]
dollmaker

Re: I worked hard to become a Diabetic!

Postby f1jim » Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:04 am

Go get 'em dollmaker. Show them what doing it right can do.
f1jim
While adopting this diet and lifestyle program I have reversed my heart disease, high cholesterol, hypertension, and lost 54 lbs. You can follow my story at https://www.drmcdougall.com/james-brown/
f1jim

Postby lydia » Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:38 am

I bet your dad and brother are thrilled that you are "on board". Glad you are on the forum to share your story and get support.
lydia

Postby Vegankit » Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:45 am

Hi Robin - wow, you have quite a kick in the pants to get serious about McDougalling. It's sad that so many of us found ourselves here because of health problems, myself included - but I think it helps us commit fully to the diet. You're also lucky that you have family members who already are on board - and hopefully your DH will see how well you are doing and he'll change too.

I'm so glad that you're having wonderful success as soon as you started - and you know you will get healthier and healthier as you continue.
Vegankit
Vegankit

Postby dollmaker » Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:13 am

T hanks everyone... it is truly encouraging, though right now I am still quite encouraged...

the fun thinga bout all this is teh quick response your body has.. I have a lot of weight to lose, so i assume that is why I am losing it quickly..

I have known about mcdgouall for years as my mother was the first to introduce the family.. i was on it for 4yrs, then due to circumstances didn't have a kitchen really to cook in.. then married my hubby who is a meat and potatoes man all theway, has tons of health issues, but refuses to change.. so the dozens of donuts and cakes he makes were a distraction.. but not anymore.

hopefully he will accept my results and see that he can be h elped.. but he isn't interested at all..

this time for me is it.. I won't be turning back, before it was about weight, now it is just about health, with weight the wonderful bonus..

thanks again for being there!! off to get some of my soup!
dollmaker

Postby skinnyrobbie1 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:24 am

I can't wait till you go back to the doctors and show 'em what's what! Good luck!
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/exercise/wfrVniz/]
[/url]
skinnyrobbie1

Postby dollmaker » Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:26 am

very true.. I am an RN, I quit 3yrs ago to pursue my art.. dollmaking.. It is going well enough that I can stay away from the medical field THANK GOD...

I am very excited to show the docs a new treatment for their ailing patients...but only if they ask me.. :)

thanks again for the support..

it has been 8 DAYS TODAY!
dollmaker

Postby Faith in DC » Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:03 pm

Wow what an intelligent family you have. You are so lucky to have all that support. You can't change your husband, but you certainly can change yourself and hope he sees the light. Keep up the good work.
Faith
I'm in training for maintaining
Faith in DC

Postby ETeSelle » Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:51 pm

Glad you're back! I, too, slipped off the McD wagon for a while :oops: . I gained back all the weight I had lost and then resisted returning for all kinds of stupid reasons. I was still vegan, but eating fatty stuff, processed stuff, etc. I came back and lost the weight in 6 mos! I didn't have any serious health problems YET, but I realized that I was holding my breath waiting to hear the results of my tests, KNOWING that at some point they would tell me "you're diabetic/pre-diabetic" or something similar. So then I asked myself why was I waiting until I heard that???!?!!? The next day I was back here and back McDougalling, and I feel GREAT!

Can't wait to see your progress!!! :)
Elizabeth
Weight now: 124 (20.0 BMI)
Weight in 2010: 207 (33.4 BMI)
Star McDougaller Story
Testimonial thread

Trust me on this: One day you'll wake up and realize that it no longer feels like "being strict." It just feels GOOD. :)
ETeSelle

Postby dollmaker » Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:10 pm

well congrats to you too... well for me, I guess that was the kick I needed.. not blaming my husband mind you, but not liking to cook and he loving it, but everything being fried or full of cheese.. then the sweets ugh.. I don't have that sort of will power.. but for some reason, this time the NEWS worked!!

keep going!
dollmaker

Postby mr bruess » Sat Jan 01, 2011 2:24 am

interesting......................
mr bruess

Postby dollmaker » Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:06 am

well I never used to eat, maybe 1-2 meals a day if that.. so eating has surely made a difference for me!
dollmaker

Postby Love the Lorax » Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:03 pm

By any chance the same Jeff Armstrong that is a Star McDougaller? Just curious... either way, how great to have other vegans in the family. I can't imagine.... I am surrounded by SAD-oholics.......

dollmaker wrote:But I will eat my way out of it!

My brother, Jeff Armstrong, has been a mcdougall vegan for 11yrs. he has always been an encouragement, and is happy I have joined the health nuts, my father has been a mcdougall vegan for 4yrs, and has done great at 86...

robin seeber
Love the Lorax

Postby dollmaker » Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:12 pm

yes that's him ...

he doesn't live near me but he is still good support to chat with...

and my dad now lives with us here, but no one else believes diet can help anything..
dollmaker

Postby Love the Lorax » Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:39 pm

How neat! (Yeah, I'll show my age using that term. My 14 yo son thinks I am hopelessly out-of-date because I don't use terms like "beast" to mean good, to beat someone, or whatever)

Anyhow, I've always liked his story, and he seems like a really nice guy from his story and pictures. He doesn't come on these boards, does he? Well, you can tell that people DO read the Star McDougallers (over and over in my case) and thank him for posting his story.

I wish you well as you beat the diabetes! I'm working to beat the high BP monster, so let's kick some disease out of our lives! :D
Love the Lorax

Next

Return to Testimonials and Success Stories