Getting My Life Back!!

Share your McDougall successes here in order to inspire others.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Getting My Life Back!!

Postby Pacificfords » Sat Sep 18, 2010 7:45 am

I can now post a success story. I am very excited to share that my transition to a vegan diet has brought a significant change to my condition. Two months ago I was diagnosed with Stage 5 (end stage) Kidney Disease. A shock, to say the least. There was no warning. I have been overweight, but relatively healthy, my entire life. One year ago I began having fevers, but they could not figure out why. Now, one year later... here I am with full blown Kidney Disease.

The great news is... my sister told me about a book called The China Study and then told me about Dr. McDougall. I researched this site and much of the information about Kidney Disease. I have been in treatment for almost two months without a change in my condition until I started eating vegan just a couple weeks ago. Changing my diet made HUGE difference. My kidneys are beginning to function again. It looks to be a long journey back to health, but I am confident that I will get healthy again and I will not have to live on medications or dialysis. I am looking forward to posting my progress and seeing the wonderful changes that take place. :)
Last edited by Pacificfords on Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
Debi

Blogging my journey at:
http://healthyandknowit2012.blogspot.com/
Pacificfords

Re: Getting My Life Back!!

Postby janluvs2heel » Sat Sep 18, 2010 8:18 am

That is amazing Pacificords!! It constantly amazes me when I read about the healing power of this way of life. I am so happy for you.

What has your Dr. said?

Jan
janluvs2heel

Postby Pacificfords » Sat Sep 18, 2010 9:16 am

I haven't been to the Dr. yet, but will go on Tuesday. I fear he will think it is the prednisone finally kicking in. When I mentioned early on that this was probably Atkins related... he disagreed... and he didn't seem too concerned about dietary issues. I kind of figured from the beginning that I was my own best "doctor" in this situation. I have been researching non-stop for weeks and it is simply amazing what I have learned, although I have also learned to sift through information because much of it is not reliable. :nod: Many well-meaning people give advice that is so off the mark, so I am very cautious and double check everything. ;-) Hopefully, after he sees my continued progress (once the meds have been stopped) he will attribute it to my dietary changes.
Debi

Blogging my journey at:
Pacificfords

Postby Melinda » Sat Sep 18, 2010 10:39 am

Congratulations - that is such wondrful news! Every time I hear another success story, I marvel about Dr. Mcdougall and the other plant based docs. I'm sure Dr. Mcdougall will go down in history as a brilliant visionary.
A co worker (nurse) came down with autoimmune hepatitis about 18 months ago at work and was treated with MASSIVE does of prednisone, to the point that when they began to withdraw her from the drug, she coded twice. (cardiac arrest) When I mentioned casually to a co worker that perhaps her obesity contributed to this illness they looked at me as if I had 2 heads! I never mentioned it again.
Melinda

Postby Pacificfords » Sat Sep 18, 2010 4:29 pm

Debbie... I agree with you. You never know what might have been, but I am finding that protein is the key and my doctors and dieticians are not going in that direction. I had quite a battle with listening to the hospital dietician and researching myself. I even had advice from a renal dietician and she recommended that I should be eating between 55 and 75 grams of protein a day. If I did that I have no doubt that I would be on dialysis in a very short time. I am hopeful that I will reverse this disease. :) I am keeping my protein at 20 - 30 mgs a day and that is what brought on the improvement.

Melinda... I am currently on prednisone and am hating it. They have been reducing my dose and are planning to have me off by October because it was not working. I will be very happy to be off the medicine. I know what you mean about people looking at you strange when you share advice. That has happened to me too. Some people think I am crazy for going to all this trouble of changing my lifestyle when dialysis is so easy and the government pays for it. (an attitude that is unreal to me)
Debi

Blogging my journey at:
Pacificfords

Postby afreespirit » Sat Sep 18, 2010 4:47 pm

Anyone who thinks dialysis is easy needs a reality check. :shock: Congratulations on your wonderful determination and success.
afreespirit

Postby Pacificfords » Sat Sep 18, 2010 6:00 pm

debbie wrote:It is sad that people think dialysys is easy.

They make it look easy. :nod: I went to a training session because I was a bit nervous about what might be in my future. Honestly, they made it look SO easy and convenient. They didn't give any indication of any side effects other than time management and the possible lack of flexibility if you do hemodialysis at the clinics.

I was surprised by the guy who started the video off talking about his hemodyalisis. A 20 year overweight diabetic who didn't want to stop eating out and was sharing how dialysis was great and so easy and allowed him to eat out and eat the foods he wanted. Of course, maybe he would have had to have it anyway... but maybe not. I want to be one of the "NOT'S." :)
Debi

Blogging my journey at:
Pacificfords

Postby Pacificfords » Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:52 am

Jellen... basically I am keeping my menu really simple at this point because it is rather tough at times to keep the numbers right with recipes. So... typically I eat oatmeal for breakfast with a little brown sugar/cinnamon and fresh apples. Then brown rice for lunch and dinner with vegetables. Fruit for snacks. That is it. No oils... sometimes I add a little flavor to the rice (vegan friendly sauces)... like soy sauce, sweet & sour or salsa. I never go over 30 grams of protein... but I do not eat legumes, beans or lentils of any kind right now - too high in protein. Sushi is one of my favorite meals... the nori sheets are very low in protein... then add some rice and veggies... a little soy and wasabi... YUM :)
Debi

Blogging my journey at:
Pacificfords

Postby nomikins » Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:01 am

How did the doctor's visit go on Tuesday?
nomikins

Postby Pacificfords » Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:37 pm

The doctor visit was bittersweet. He was shocked by my progress, but as I suspected... thought it was the medication finally kicking in. He doubted that my vegan diet had much to do with it, but at the same time he couldn't really say that it didn't. He extended the prednisone even though I asked to wean off. He said that I should stay at my present dose another month and then move down 5 mgs. It crushed my hope of being off the meds by October... and means I won't be off until December or January. I wasn't bold enough to go against his wishes because this is all so new to me and my husband agreed with the doctor. *sigh* But... the key for me is that there was PROGRESS... I am getting better. Still stage 5, but moving up very close to stage 4. :)
Debi

Blogging my journey at:
Pacificfords

Postby Pacificfords » Fri Sep 24, 2010 3:44 am

Jellen... I am watching sodium and staying under 2000 mg per day. Actually, it has been quite easy since I started eating vegan because my sodium is SO low each day eating veggies/rice and fruit. I use low sodium soy sauce and organic fresh salsa that is very low in sodium. It does push my sodium up quite quickly if I use the soy sauce, but I love the flavor and I don't go over my limit. :) I wish I could find better ways to season things, but am not so good with spices yet.
Debi

Blogging my journey at:
Pacificfords

Postby Pacificfords » Fri Sep 24, 2010 6:03 pm

Jellen, Thanks for the tips. I had no idea there was a salt substitute that was potassium free. I am so excited to try it. That has been one of my biggest challenges... letting go of salt. I have done it, but it hasn't been fun. :) Thanks for all the idea. That is a much lower amount of sodium than they told me in the hospital... did you get that information online or from a dietician? I would be curious to know. I am always trying to improve. :)
Debi

Blogging my journey at:
Pacificfords

Postby Pacificfords » Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:39 pm

Big day today... saw the cardiologist. In July... they diagnosed me with beginning stages of heart failure (along with the kidney disease). Today... heart was NORMAL. Yea to the vegan diet! Of course, they felt that it was the medicine that made me better and repaired my heart and that my diet had little to do with it. (boy am I getting tired of hearing that) But... nonetheless... I liked hearing "NORMAL." :)
Debi

Blogging my journey at:
Pacificfords

Postby Mrs. Doodlepunk » Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:45 pm

That is AMAZING. I just read your story and have tears in my eyes. I'm so happy for you! :-D
It IS the food! :unibrow:
(... do these earrings make my butt look big?)
Mrs. Doodlepunk

Postby Pacificfords » Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:50 pm

Thank you Mrs. Doodlepunk! I really love your username. So cute! I am very happy as well. I am hopeful that as each of my body functions repair that more energy goes to my kidneys and soon I will be back to healthy! :)
Debi

Blogging my journey at:
Pacificfords

Next

Return to Testimonials and Success Stories