Now Down 60 Pounds!

Share your McDougall successes here in order to inspire others.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Now Down 60 Pounds!

Postby Nettie » Tue Jan 30, 2007 7:36 pm

I just thought I'd let everyone know about my progress. I'm now down 60 pounds and still going. I've been losing about 1-2 pounds a week pretty consistently, and that's enough to keep me going. I celebrate (by going "Yay!", not by eating :-D ) with every pound lost.
It's funny how your taste buds change once you go vegan. I used to eat salad rarely, but now I can hardly wait every day to get my big, big salad. I've never eaten raw spinach before, but now I love the sweet taste it adds to my salad.
I have an appointment to see my internist (I'm on Synthroid) in February, and I can hardly wait to see him (or, have him see me). He's a runner and is always encouraging me to lose weight. He'll be so surprised and excited for me. I'm going to ask for blood work so I can see how my cholesterol, triglycerides, etc., are doing.
In the meantime, I may need to get a supply of safety pins; I don't want my skirts to fall down! :lol:
Blessings on everyone. If I can do it, ANYONE can!
Nettie

Postby hope101 » Tue Jan 30, 2007 9:47 pm

Woohoo! That is awesome! :D I hope you are keeping before pictures, because I suspect you are going to be a star McDougaller before it is over and we will definitely want to see the contrast. :thumbsup:
hope101

Postby happyalyssa » Tue Jan 30, 2007 10:55 pm

Huge congratulations on the great job you're doing :) It isn't easy to lose that much weight. You are a big inspiration!
happyalyssa

Congratulations, and Please tell us more...

Postby Clary » Wed Jan 31, 2007 2:12 am

Good for you, Nettie.

I'd love to hear a little more about your McDougalling history, and which program you follow, and some of the changes you have made, how long you have been McDougalling, etc.

It's SO GOOD to read a post like yours. Thanks for sharing.
Clary

Postby Doris » Wed Jan 31, 2007 8:04 am

You Go Girl!! Nettie, this is wonderful news. Thanks for sharing your progress. :)
Doris

Postby noodle » Wed Jan 31, 2007 9:42 am

That is SOOO neat Nettie. I agree with Clary. I would love to hear some details about what you eat during a typical day, and what you do for exercise.

Way to go!!!
noodle

Postby Karen » Wed Jan 31, 2007 10:33 am

That's excellent!. Keep up the great work.
Karen

Postby Callalilly » Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:49 am

Congrats to you. Isn't it a great feeling when your tastes change and you love food that loves you back, that is the most exciting part to me. When I switched to a fat free vegan diet I was so afraid of not enjoying food like I used to and it is wonderful to see that you acutally enjoy it even more. Great job, keep up the good work and keep sharing your progress with us.
Calla
Callalilly

Postby Sunny » Thu Feb 01, 2007 7:31 am

~~~Congratulations ~~~ I am so happy for you. :D :D :D
Keep up the good work, you are such an inspiration. :-D
All the Best,
Sunny
MWL 99.9% 12 Day .1 % Always McDougall
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sunny

Postby heffies » Mon Feb 05, 2007 9:55 am

Wow, Nettie, that's AMAZING! I'm new here and new to McDing and your success story was just what I needed to hear! I need to lost 66 pounds, I've lost 6 in my first 2 weeks. Congratulations!

217/188/145
heffies

How I did it

Postby Nettie » Tue Feb 06, 2007 2:54 pm

Some folks have been asking me about what I'm eating, how long I've been McDougalling, etc.
I actually started back on McDougall in September after about a 6-year hiatus. I was really addicted to fats and sweets, but it became apparent that my health was being wrecked.
I've lost about 60 pounds so far (4-1/2 months), but I still have a very long way to go.
My food plan is McDougall all the way, but not strict MWL. I do limit breads very strictly, though. I work out of town during the week, coming home on Thursdays and leaving again on Sundays. I rent a room in someone's home during the week, so I don't do any cooking except for weekends.
So, typical food consumption is:
Sundays through Wednesdays: Breakfast - banana, 2 clementines or some cantaloupe.
Lunch (I actually start eating lunch around 10:30 :) )- a huge salad of romaine lettuce, spinach, shredded carrots, tomatoes, cucumber with fat-free dressing. Followed by maybe a baked white or sweet potato. Followed by a cup of McDougall soup.
Supper - 1 can of beans (pinto or black-eye), 1 can of corn, 1 can of carrots, 1 can of greenbeans, 1 can stewed tomatoes, 1/2 can of turnip greens. (I use low-salt canned goods when I can.) I divide this into 2 meals, eating the second half the next night. Snack is an apple or grapes.
Thursdays through Saturday: Breakfast - steel cut oatmeal and banana
Lunch or Supper - It's not unusual for me to put 2 one-pound packages of Birdseye frozen Chinese stir fry plus a couple of cups of brown rice and low-salt soy sauce in a pan and eat on it throughout the day. (My husband likes this, too.) I'm also CRAZY about rice pilaf. I can eat 2 boxes of it at a time. I like to make something from McDougall's Quick and Easy Cookbook; the Barbecued Beans is really good. I try to get 3 or 4 fruits a day, every day, and a big salad every day. Sometimes when hubby and I watch a DVD, I pop popcorn (plain) in the microwave, add a little salt, and eat away. I drink lots of water; I don't take any vitamins or supplements.
People at work are AMAZED at my transformation in such a short period of time.
I have a treadmill, but I'm really hit-or-miss on it. When I get on it, I do 30 minutes. But I'm only able to exercize on it during weekends; I work long hours at a desk job, so I haven't been able to squeeze in much exercize so far.
I should mention that I actually discovered McDougall back in 1997. I went on the Mcdougall Plan and lost over 160 pounds in a little over a year and never exercized at all. I effortlessly kept the weight off for several years (which has never happened before), but all that ended when I was put on steroids while going through chemotherapy for breast cancer. I began to eat and eat and eat and balloned up.
Now I'm back and hope to never eat SAD again. It's wonderful not to ever be hungry, no need to weigh or measure anything, and know that I'm doing wonderful things for my body. I'm 59 years old and I feel great.
I could go on and on, but the bottom line is anyone can do this. Your life may depend on it - I know MINE does!
Nettie

Re: How I did it

Postby Clary » Tue Feb 06, 2007 4:02 pm

What an absolutely Joyous and Encouraging report and story.

Thank you, Nettie, for taking the time to write this out for readers on the Board. I have benefitted from it. I personally would love to read many more posts like this --on personal choices of foods and routines and what is working for different people--a real support and encouragement for trying or continuing the McDougall Program!

Again, thank you, and the best wishes and lots of love and support to you as you continue to regain your Health and Beauty!
--Clary
Clary

Hi, Nettie

Postby L » Thu Feb 08, 2007 7:25 pm

Thank you for your testimony; amazing, informative and encouraging! Please keep posting your suggestions and ideas.
From,
L (Laurie) :-D
L

Postby noodle » Thu Feb 08, 2007 7:51 pm

Thanks Nettie, for sharing what you do as far as meals and exercising.
You are really doing an amazing job, and you are an inspiration.
Isn't it wonderful to eat a huge spinach salad everyday? I do that too!

Keep updating so we can celebrate your continued success. :D
noodle

Awesome!

Postby seestorcoo » Fri Feb 09, 2007 1:54 am

60 pounds! Thats great! And also exciting to hear that you previously lost 160 - I'm a nurse and know how something like cancer can screw up what is working in your life. It sounds like you are healthier now and doing great. I know what you mean about changing your tastes - I thought I would try a piece of soy cheese on my food the other night (I used to like it) and it tasted nasty. Same with the diet 7Up and the Sobes Lizard Fuel drink - nothing bad tastes good anymore. You are an inspiration - both with your behavior and your kind words. Thank you.
seestorcoo

Next

Return to Testimonials and Success Stories