Blood sugar down from 300 to 92 Diabetics this works!!!!!!!!

Share your McDougall successes here in order to inspire others.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Blood sugar down from 300 to 92 Diabetics this works!!!!!!!!

Postby CraftyeLadye » Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:49 am

Today is day 46 of being back on plan with MM and MWL thrown in for about 4 of those days.

I am a type 2 diabetic (diabetes caused by untreated insulin resistance and PCOS) I found out shortly before starting to McD in 2008 that I have diabetic gastroparesis and suffered from horrible chronic constipation (5 0r 6 days without a bowel movement at a time) chronic nausea, fatigue etc. Then I discovered that I have celiac disease as well and symptoms that I was told would never go away went away.

I went back to the SAD way of life last January and immediately felt horrible and gained back weight that I had lost.

In November, I decided enough is enough and came back to McD. The first day I started my fasing blood sugar was 311, this morning it was 100. I was taking 2,000mg of metformin daily and now take none because it was causing me to have too many lows.

My blood sugar rarely goes above 120 now and I test 4 times per day. I eat potatoes and veggies and fruit. I feel satisfied, my energy has returned and I am not having as many bowel problems. My skin is clear, my eyes are brighter and my vision has improved.

I am 40 years old. I do have a lot more weight to lose, but know it will come in time. I have lost several inches in these last 46 days and my clothes are not tight and I don't have bulges like I did, so am not embarassed to take off my sweater. I have gone from chronic couch potato to walking 6 laps on a standard track 6 days per week. My plan is to move to 8 laps which will equal 2 miles a day.

Diabetics, if you are skeptical, give this plan 30 days. 30 days is so worth it. It really makes a difference and potatoes and bananas are not evil, really. :nod:
Lisa
CraftyeLadye

Re: Blood sugar down from 300 to 92 Diabetics this works!!!!!!!!

Postby Faith in DC » Thu Dec 17, 2009 3:14 pm

Way to go. Look at the present you gave yourself this Christmas.
Faith
I'm in training for maintaining
Faith in DC

Postby KimberlyinCT » Fri Dec 25, 2009 8:13 am

Thank you for sharing your story, I am around 390 pounds with terrible vision, high blood sugar and numb feet. I desperately need to follow the McDougall program and hearing your story has given me hope that I can follow your example and have similar results,
KimberlyinCT

Postby Steve » Fri Dec 25, 2009 10:07 pm

CraftyeLadye

Congratulations. Great post. Thanks for sharing.

Steve
Steve

Postby raw curls » Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:20 am

That is awesome and encouraging, thanks for sharing that. Gives me a kick in the rear on my own journey.
raw curls

Postby Dechen » Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:36 pm

CraftyeLadye wrote:Today is day 46 of being back on plan with MM and MWL thrown in for about 4 of those days.

I am a type 2 diabetic (diabetes caused by untreated insulin resistance and PCOS) I found out shortly before starting to McD in 2008 that I have diabetic gastroparesis and suffered from horrible chronic constipation (5 0r 6 days without a bowel movement at a time) chronic nausea, fatigue etc. Then I discovered that I have celiac disease as well and symptoms that I was told would never go away went away.

I went back to the SAD way of life last January and immediately felt horrible and gained back weight that I had lost.

In November, I decided enough is enough and came back to McD. The first day I started my fasing blood sugar was 311, this morning it was 100. I was taking 2,000mg of metformin daily and now take none because it was causing me to have too many lows.

My blood sugar rarely goes above 120 now and I test 4 times per day. I eat potatoes and veggies and fruit. I feel satisfied, my energy has returned and I am not having as many bowel problems. My skin is clear, my eyes are brighter and my vision has improved.

I am 40 years old. I do have a lot more weight to lose, but know it will come in time. I have lost several inches in these last 46 days and my clothes are not tight and I don't have bulges like I did, so am not embarassed to take off my sweater. I have gone from chronic couch potato to walking 6 laps on a standard track 6 days per week. My plan is to move to 8 laps which will equal 2 miles a day.

Diabetics, if you are skeptical, give this plan 30 days. 30 days is so worth it. It really makes a difference and potatoes and bananas are not evil, really. :nod:

What a great story. I wish my father-in-law would take it on board. He has Diabetes and has put on oodles of weight but if it does not contain dead animal flesh and animal milk he just does not want to know. :(
https://mostlyfatfreemcdougall.wordpress.com/
Dechen

Location: Ashton-in-Makerfield, Wigan (halfway between Liverpool and Manchester) Lancashire, UK

Postby Wendy Jane » Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:22 am

I have a friend of mine who is pre-diabetic. I recently gave her the book "Reversing Diabetes" by Dr. Neil Barnard. (not sure if I spelled his last name right.) This author promotes a McDouagller diet, but with a few slight changes. He found some foods have a tendency to raise blood sugar, and suggests avoiding them. Other than that, he is a fan of low fat vegan.
Anyway Rosa read the book, and thanked me for it. But, unfortunately, she claims she likes her chicken. It boils down to the fact that she is just not ready to make this change yet. I said to myself, "Okay, Rosa, keep your pre-diabetic condition. And stay on your pills."
Eventually, she will either make this drastic diet change, or get diabetes. The choice is entirely hers.

I guess it boils down to the fact that you just can't force folks to make this diet change. We as Americans just like our high fat, meat and dairy diet. Even though it is making us very sick as a nation, very few are willing to make the sacrifice and give it up.

Craftyeladye: you keep McDougalling!! And you might want to read the book "Reversing Diabetes." Dr. Neil presents information you would probably enjoy reading. And in the back of his book he has many recipes worth trying. I did, and some of them were great!!
Wendy Jane

Postby Anniriki » Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:26 am

Lisa, thank you for sharing your story. It inspires me to stick with the MWL plan. Like you, I've gone on and off the McDougall plan many times. New Year's was a turning point for me. I realized if I don't make a change soon I'm going to run out of time. I've been on it for a week now and haven't lost an ounce. I had been low carbing for quite some time so I think my body might need some time to adjust. People like you give me hope that if I stick with the program it will work for me, too.

By the way.... I grew up in Novato. Graduated from Novato High School in 1968. Before we moved to Novato we lived in San Rafael. Marin County has changed a lot since then. When I visit the first thing I notice is how much the trees have grown. It was a good place to grow up. Beautiful country. :)
Anni
Anniriki

Postby CraftyeLadye » Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:03 am

Anni,

It really is worth staying on. My blood sugar has not been above 120 since the second week. I am due for bloodwork soon and hope to see a marked difference in it from October.

I have lived in Novato since I was 15 and grew up in the terra linda/marinwood area of san rafael. I went to terra linda high school. It is gorgeous here, but oh so expensive. I don't know any other place though and my family lives very close, so I don't plan to leave this part of the state. Keep it up!
Lisa
CraftyeLadye

Postby MasserLMC » Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:04 pm

Thank you so much for sharing. You are an inspiration for me to try harder. I have been on/off the McD plan for years. I have a hard time being 100% because I have to cook regular food for others in my family.
Keep up the good work & I will try harder to be 100& McD for life!
[/url]
lSmall Things With Great Love
MasserLMC

Postby brannach » Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:02 am

CraftyeLadye wrote:Today is day 46 of being back on plan with MM and MWL thrown in for about 4 of those days.

I am a type 2 diabetic (diabetes caused by untreated insulin resistance and PCOS) :

WOW - you should be so proud of yourself. We have the Type 2 and PCOS in common, and it can be a struggle. You have given me inspiration. I hope on the hard days you can remember just how you felt when you wrote this post.

Don't worry about what you have to lose (weight) but what you have gained (health).

Roseanne
Roseanne
I had a weight problem then I discovered it was a thinking problem. Now I know there's a good food solution.
Fave Quote - "Everyone and everything around you is your teacher." Ken Keyes
brannach

Return to Testimonials and Success Stories