terrible bloating

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

terrible bloating

Postby sanlee » Mon Nov 24, 2008 6:05 pm

Hi,

I'm on day 4 of strict MWL. The first 3 days I experienced a little bloating -- but I read that bloating is fairly common during the first 2-3 days, so didn't worry about it.

However today the bloating/distention got really bad -- I checked the scales. I weighed 7.5 pounds more than this morning (usually my night weight is 2.5-3 pounds more than my a.m. weight). So that's 5 extra pounds.

Here's what I ate today:

B: 2 cups of homemade split pea soup
L: Salad greens topped with two portabello mushrooms and a cup of grapes
Snack: 1 cup of chili
D: 2 cups of homemade split pea soup and an apple

My question is did anyone else experience such bloating, and if so, how long did it take to go away? How did you stay motivated??? I'm really afraid I'm gaining weight on this program. Any advice or help would be very welcome.

Thanks, sanlee
sanlee

Postby Daffodil » Tue Nov 25, 2008 2:19 am

It's probably the fiber bloating you up. Plus salt if you are adding it in to your soups and things.
Are you drinking enough water to keep the fiber moving along? That will help with the bloat.
Also, weigh yourself after you do your morning bathroom routine.
Daffodil

Postby sanlee » Tue Nov 25, 2008 7:20 am

I kinda assumed it was the fiber but I was just shocked that it could be 5 pound of weight almost instantly. I did find a reference in one of Dr. McD's older books that a 4-pound bloat isn't unheard of, so I guesss I was just a little over.

I drank tons of water to try to help things along. This morning, I was up 2 pounds from yesterday, even after my morning routine -- that was discouraging, but I did decide to stick with it!

Thanks for the reply :-)
sanlee

Postby Faith in DC » Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:35 am

um just a reminder, this is a starch based diet. Try adding some brown rice in there and maybe cutting back on the beans. You really aren't eating too much food.

I'm sure things will um come out soon and the bloating will be over.
Faith
I'm in training for maintaining
Faith in DC

Postby serenity » Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:36 am

I notice that your intake is almost all beans and no grains or starchy vegetables. If that is typical, you may find better results by following the meal structure that is the core of the MWL plan - starch with green and yellow veggies. It will probably relieve the bloat, too.
serenity

Postby Carol » Tue Nov 25, 2008 12:08 pm

WHERE'S THE BEE..... I mean, STARCH???

Starch should be the center of your meals...potatoes, corn, rice, barley, oats, sweet potatoes, etc. Pick a starch and add some veggies. The starch will also help you to feel satisfied.
Carol

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program