how do you bake your potatoes ?

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

how do you bake your potatoes ?

Postby chewy » Fri Aug 29, 2008 3:57 pm

do you use a microwave or bake them in the oven?
chewy

Postby alvin » Fri Aug 29, 2008 7:23 pm

2 minutes in the microwave then finish them off in the toaster oven.
alvin

Postby bethannerickson » Sat Aug 30, 2008 4:14 pm

I slice 'em like french fries, spread them on a plate, sprinkle 'em with salt and nutritional yeast, then nuke 'em for around 13 - 15 minutes. Crunchy, cheezy, yummy. :)
bethannerickson

Postby Doris » Sun Aug 31, 2008 8:56 am

I bake sweet potatoes in the oven. They seem to be sweeter that way. I nuke regular potatoes when I need something fast and I bake them in a regular oven if I have plenty of time.
Doris

Re: how do you bake your potatoes ?

Postby landog » Sun Aug 31, 2008 9:55 am

chewy wrote:do you use a microwave or bake them in the oven?

Never in the microwave - always in the oven!

I like 'em better that way.

Be well,
-dog
landog

Postby Faith in DC » Thu Sep 04, 2008 1:59 pm

I've also done them on the grill and believe it or not, the crockpot can bake them. That's a nice way when you want to keep the kitchen cool.
Faith
I'm in training for maintaining
Faith in DC

Postby fulenn » Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:37 pm

That's what I do, Faith. I put them in the crockpot on low at night and they are ready to eat in the morning when I wake up. In fact, I just put 3 sweet potatoes in the crockpot for tomorrow.

Fulenn
fulenn

Postby r-marie » Wed Sep 10, 2008 3:57 pm

I always bake my sweet potatoes/yams in a little portable oven I have. Takes less than 30 min depending on size. This makes them sweet inside with a somewhat crusty outside. I always eat the skin!!

All my whole potatoes are done in a pressure cooker. I cook a pan full (about 4-5) every other day). They are ready (even large ones) in 30 min. or less. I love the flavor and moistness. My favorites are Yukon or small reds.

I've had a European type pressure cooker (a large and small one with a lid for each) for over 30 years. Never had any problem and love the speed with which I get beans as well (soaked overnight, drained then covered with fresh water, some chili seasoning, a piece of Kombu and a little salt) my pintos are also ready in 30 minutes. They are delicious, and they do not cause bloating ever! European PC's usually have 3 safety seals and an indicator of how much pressure you have. Very easy and safe to use - for those who tend to be afraid to use them.

r-marie
r-marie

Postby Chumly » Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:39 am

White potatoes: wrapped in aluminum foil and baked, or boiled or cooked in the crock pot

Sweet potatoes: as someone else said, these seem to taste best baked, I don't like them boiled

Purple potatoes: I get these from time to time from the Asian farmer's market, very tasty when boiled or steamed, too starchy and dry if baked. These are my favorite potatoes, but are usually more expensive ($2/lb.), and I can't get them locally, so I don't eat them as much.

Michael
Chumly

Postby kimba » Mon Sep 15, 2008 12:28 pm

Dont those sweet potatoes get awfully soft in the crockpot, to the point of being mush?

I know when I bake mine, they cook fast and if not careful are too done.

How long do you cook those in the crock? Did you say over night?

I have cooked white potaotes in the crockpot and liked them. But, I really prefer mine done in the oven.

kimba
kimba

Postby Chumly » Mon Sep 15, 2008 12:43 pm

I don't recall using my crockpot to cook sweet potatoes, only white potatoes. I usually throw them in overnight on low with about 1/4 cup water or vegetable broth.
Chumly

Postby Faith in DC » Mon Sep 15, 2008 1:15 pm

I always really bake my sweet taters. It sweeten's them up so much.
Faith
I'm in training for maintaining
Faith in DC

Postby Autumn » Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:23 pm

I usually nuke my white potatoes, boil my reds, and bake my sweet potatoes.
Autumn

Postby auntemmy » Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:21 am

I quarter small red potatoes, pile 'em in a glass bowl, sprinkle w/garlic powder and Mrs Dash add a tablespoon or two of water, cover and nuke for 15 minutes. Great as is, or toss 'em in a hot skillet to brown and dry them a little. Yummy with salsa or creamed corn. :D
~Emmy

What's taters, precious?
Po-ta-toes? Boil 'em. mash 'em, stick 'em in a stew?
auntemmy

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program