Haven't lost a pound!

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Haven't lost a pound!

Postby Clary » Sat Jul 26, 2008 8:09 am

tjresin wrote:I am so frustrated but want motivation and assurance to keep going....

HELP!

wordweaver wrote:It might be helpful to post everything you are eating to see if there is something that is causing you to stall....

After moving here to our very own McDougall Discussion Board hosted by Dr. McDougall (My on-going THANKS for this board! :) ) , the usefull activity of posting our food for the day was soon replaced by including food consumption/menus, etc. in the personal Journal forum threads.

Prior to the move, many of us McDougallers--and it seemed especially helpful to beginners, regulary posted our "bare-bones" Daily exercise goals and Daily menu goals to share with one another (and for accountability) in the "Who's Movin'?" and "What's Cookin'?" threads.

The "Who's Movin'?" and "What's Cookin'?" threads were usually active and lively on a daily basis when we were over at the VegSource board, and we could all easily check the thread each day for hints and helps and to support each other with seeking out answers to problems, conditions, menu ideas, etc. around our food choices, and our exercise activities. --or to just read all the posts for motivation to keep on keepin' on!

As Jeff (and others here on the board) has tried to get across several times, and it was certainly true for me, we sometimes need someone or something outside of ourselves to help us see and become aware of inappropriate-for-our-chosen program, or unhealthful, food choices --when we think we are eating most healthfully, or think we are following a plan, when in reality we might be making mistakes or unhealthful choices.

McDougaller's were kind to and supportive of and shared ideas with each other: and as a group, we helped each other when someone asked for ideas about their food plan or exercise program, etc.

Writing down in the thread every day what we planned to eat, posting it on the board, (even if we didn't follow exactly what we had planned to) was a forum for all of us to share in for food ideas, suggestions, etc., --and a personal education and accountability and organizational exercise (including "planning ahead") for each of us to be able to monitor what we planned to eat compared to what we actually ate by the end of the day: Many good days, some Off days, some Really off days :eek: ); and there were always supportive people who were doing their best to follow Dr. McDougall's programs always around to help and support one another.

The Daily Who's Movin'? What's Cookin'? thread was a great help to me when I first came to the McDougall Board back at the VegSource site several years ago. I am sorry to see that "Roberta's Corner" here on this "new" board is so infrequently used by newcomers to Dr.McDougall's programs. I rarely go there myself anymore, because it seems to not be used or read much at all, although lately I have noticed a little more activity. :thumbsup:

Planning and Posting our food each day, esp. in the beginning of diet and habit changes, can be a strong help in the "change-of-habits" process for many newbies to the programs, especially if the poster wants and asks for feedback (as you have) from those on the board who are following one of Dr. McDougall's programs.

Anyway, I just wanted to support wordweaver's useful idea of posting a daily menu. Going through the process of doing that can be helpful in many ways (shopping, menu planning, planning ahead, meal preparations, awareness of what is actually being eaten on a day to day basis, --comparing what we actually eat to the program we are intending to follow, etc.).

Planning and writing down my food goals on a daily basis went against my "flexible" :wink: nature, but the discipline of doing it for several weeks in the beginning --and monitoring my compliance and follow-through, and getting help and suggestions from more experienced McDougallers helped me greatly. At that time, the McDougall board was visited mostly by "McDougallers", and there wasn't the difficulty of figuring out who was really following and giving suggestions from a McDougall program point of view and experience, and who was giving advice or promoting information from another point of view or program.

Also, another suggestion is, a really close review of Mary's second newsletter article about "Mary's Mini" http://www.drmcdougall.com/misc/2006nl/july/marys2.htm might possibly reveal something helpful to you, that you could change in your program to help you more quickly experience the "promised" results of the program. I've noticed people on the board have various interpretations and applications of "Mary's Mini". Reading (or re-reading) directly from what Mary shared might turn up a hint for you about your program, and why you are not getting the results you hoped for.

For example, one quote from Mary's second article: "In the June 2006 newsletter I did not make clear enough the importance of monotony. As a result many people who tried the Mini-Diet introduced greater variety than I had planned by eating a different starch each day, rather than, for example potatoes everyday for 10-days. The fewer varieties of foods that make up the meal plan, the greater will be the weight loss."

However you do it, tjresin, I wish you success and on-going enjoyment of your chosen program, and joy in your results. :nod:
"LIFE always begins again." --Edmond Bordeaux Székely
Clary

thanks, Clary

Postby eaufraiche703 » Sat Jul 26, 2008 9:34 am

a thoughtful, inspiring, and well-written post, Clary. thank you!

just this week, another "study" on diet was cited in the popular media - and according to those reports, the most effective tool iutilized by those who experience weight loss IS journalling consumption.

those experts said that poz results could be achieved whether one wrote in a formal journal or on the back of a used envelope ----

but aren't these boards the best place ever to help achieve lifestyle dietary change? it does feel like an oasis!
what would Scooby do?
eaufraiche703

Re: I have a hard time

Postby proverbs31woman » Sat Jul 26, 2008 11:10 am

tjresin wrote:Nixing the sweets altogether is really really hard for me. I must be an addict. I can basically eliminate anything from my diet (I ate gluten and dairy free for 2 years) except for sugar. I have tried believe me. I don't over do it but its there and always nagging at me. I really need help overcoming it. I don't have a lot to lose. I would be happy losing 5 pounds. 3 pounds more gradually after that- so maybe it could take a whole week to lose 1/2 a pound which wouldn't show up on my scale. I'll keep trying. Weekends are especially hard AND its my 37th birthday tomorrow!

Are you trying to completely eliminate sugar? If so, that's not necessary. Dr. McDougall says that we're allowed to have sugar sparingly and still lose weight. I know I do.
proverbs31woman

Not nixing sugar altogether

Postby tjresin » Sat Jul 26, 2008 10:25 pm

Just trying to keep it to a bare minimum. I hate that I crave a little something sweet after lunch and dinner (but why not breakfast?). I know it is ALL in my head but I don't know how to turn it around!
tjresin

Postby hope101 » Sat Jul 26, 2008 10:55 pm

You're not weak, and you're not abnormal!

Are you familiar with the Pleasure Trap? Doug says we are genetically programmed to crave salt, sugar, and oil. That's actually adaptive, in nature, but now we have these super-refined foods that manage to alter our brain chemistry. We get flooded with neurochemicals that make us "feel good while we're doing the wrong thing". And when we stop our little drug of pleasure (chocolate, sugar, whatever...), our brain chemistry actually goes subnormal for a while. The first 100 meals are the hardest. During that time, the decline in our neurotransmitters makes us "feel bad while we're doing the right thing".

So, you're not imagining it, you're not weak, but...if you want to kick it, you can expect pain for the first 100 meals. After that, it gets easier. :-)
hope101

about a month?

Postby tjresin » Sat Jul 26, 2008 11:02 pm

OK.So that is what- about a month? I think I can do that! Thanks for the encouragement and support. I cannot tell you how much I appreciate it. I need to know that I can turn this around and feel good in my body again. Thank you!
tjresin

Re: Mary's Mini link for Lala

Postby Lala » Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:35 am

eaufraiche703 wrote:Here, Lala...

http://www.drmcdougall.com/misc/2006nl/june/marys.htm

this 'xplains it best!

Thank you!
Lala

Postby Faith in DC » Mon Jul 28, 2008 1:48 pm

You can do it. I had chocolate daily too, but got that monkey off my back. Sugar you can have a sprinkle of on oatmeal, but he didn't mean to eat candy.

Also with your size, you need to start carving out exercise time. You have to. If you look at the Weight loss registry folks who were successful both ate healthy and exercised moderatly.
Faith
I'm in training for maintaining
Faith in DC

Re: thanks, Clary

Postby Clary » Tue Jul 29, 2008 7:11 am

eaufraiche703 wrote:a thoughtful, inspiring, and well-written post, Clary. thank you!

just this week, another "study" on diet was cited in the popular media - and according to those reports, the most effective tool iutilized by those who experience weight loss IS journalling consumption.

those experts said that poz results could be achieved whether one wrote in a formal journal or on the back of a used envelope ----

but aren't these boards the best place ever to help achieve lifestyle dietary change? it does feel like an oasis!

Yes! Dr.McDougall provides us a place to come to learn and share and heal and refresh--and if needed and if we do our part, to "regain our health and appearance". What value can one put on such a gift?

I thought of your post here about journaling when this arrived in my ebox in a newsletter today:

Eating disorders often create an illusion of safety in silence. You become the voiceless victim of the invisible slave driver who berates, condemns, judges, and humiliates you into punishing yourself, and that inner tyrant convinces the true you that it's too dangerous to speak up or speak out — or nourish yourself....

As unbelievable as this may sound, whoever is the original source of that voice is not your responsibility. Not your job. However, you are responsible and accountable for yourself, and you can and must give voice to the true you.

Recovery depends on developing and empowering this true voice. That's why journals, cameras, paints, pens, free movement, and other tools of creativity play such an enormous role in recovery. Creativity gives us both the license and the means to express ourselves, and in the process of expressing ourselves, we empower ourselves.

—Aimee Liu, "To Speak and To Be!" --from the book: GAINING: The Truth About Life After Eating Disorders
"LIFE always begins again." --Edmond Bordeaux Székely
Clary

Postby CarolynA » Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:19 am

For me, sugar has been an issue as well. I have figured a few things out though over the past couple of weeks, and have lost 5 lbs in the last month. That's not tons, but as long as I am seeing progress, I am happy. I want to lose it slowly enough that I will be able to keep it off.

Anyway, a few things that I have done over the past month that have helped are: 1. Cutting way back on the sugar. I still use some, but not as much as I did, and I try to only let myself have a chocolate "treat" no more than 1 time per week, and only if I really really want it bad. 2. I stopped eating so many potatoes. I now have potatoes only 2 or 3 times per week at most. Instead, we have been having more whole grain pasta and rice, and for whatever reason that has helped me. 3. I cut back on my fruit intake. Instead of making sure that I get those 2 fruit servings per day, I only have fruit 1 time per day at most, sometimes only 2-4 servings per week. 4. I stopped eating so many legumes - I was having a serving about every day, and now I only have them 1 or 2 times per week. 5. I stopped eating so much soy. We would have tofu scramble or other tofu about 3 times per week, but now no more than 1 time per week.

I know that not all of the things that I still allow are McDougall approved (sugar, soy, chocolate, etc.), but it has been a difficult transition for me, and being able to have these things occasionally has kept me from giving up on the whole thing. :)

Carolyn
I am worth it!
CarolynA

Postby Faith in DC » Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:21 am

yes, some of those rich mcdougall items can slow things down.

Remember in terms of nutrition dense, and lower in calories it goes:

vegetables
fruits
starchy veggies, like winter squash
whole grains
whole wheat pasta
Faith
I'm in training for maintaining
Faith in DC

Previous

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program