MWL Guideline Clarifications please

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

MWL Guideline Clarifications please

Postby onajourney » Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:56 pm

I have joined this forum for the month of August and am looking for some clarification for some of the guidelines.

50/50 plate: Are vegetables required at every meal, including breakfast? I saw a post somewhere from Jeff indicating that half the plate could be fruit OR vegetables. Is that correct?

Re. soy: I understand that soybeans (and other soy products) are somewhat higher in fat than other beans, but they are around 500 calories/pound are highly recommended by many doctors including Neal Barnard and Kristi Funk. I started regularly consuming minimally processed soy products about 18 months ago to help alleviate menopause symptoms, and they have been beneficial for me. Are all soy products in all amounts considered to be non-compliant on MWL?

Dried fruit vs. sugar: If dried fruit is used as a replacement for sugar, is it still considered non-compliant? For instance, using 1 tablespoon of raisins to top oatmeal instead of 1 teaspoon of sugar or maple syrup would seem to be a good swap.

Plant milk: is plant milk allowed in small quantities, such as topping oatmeal or using small amounts in a recipe? If so, what milks would be best to use?

Thanks, Laurel
onajourney

Re: MWL Guideline Clarifications please

Postby JeffN » Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:19 pm

Thanks for your questions. Better to get things straightened out right from the beginning.

<<<50/50 plate: Are vegetables required at every meal, including breakfast? I saw a post somewhere from Jeff indicating that half the plate could be fruit OR vegetables. Is that correct?

Correct,

>>>Re. soy: I understand that soybeans (and other soy products) are somewhat higher in fat than other beans, but they are around 500 calories/pound are highly recommended by many doctors including Neal Barnard and Kristi Funk. I started regularly consuming minimally processed soy products about 18 months ago to help alleviate menopause symptoms, and they have been beneficial for me. Are all soy products in all amounts considered to be non-compliant on MWL?

Soy beans are 45% fat and because of their higher fat content, they are almost 800 cal/lb. Because of their higher fat and higher calorie density, they are not recommended for MWL. However, the beneficial chemicals found in soy beans are also found in the other beans, which would be the better choice. Also, losing weight will also help improve menopausal symptoms as excess body fat impacts hormones.

<<<Dried fruit vs. sugar: If dried fruit is used as a replacement for sugar, is it still considered non-compliant? For instance, using 1 tablespoon of raisins to top oatmeal instead of 1 teaspoon of sugar or maple syrup would seem to be a good swap.

Raisins are almost 1400 calories per pound. Sugar is about 1700. While the raisins are somewhat lower, the raisins are still considered much too high in calorie density for the MWL. Use fresh fruit. If you cook the fruit in with your oats, it will all taste sweeter.

>>>Plant milk: is plant milk allowed in small quantities, such as topping oatmeal or using small amounts in a recipe? If so, what milks would be best to use?

Liquid calories are not recommended at all for MWL.

If you are not able to follow the MWL guidelines, you are always welcome to just keep a journal and track your progress in the journal section. However, if you want the benefits of the MWL group, we ask that you follow the guidelines as described in the MWL 10 point checklist.

Thanks for understanding.

>>>Thanks, Laurel

You are welcome
Jeff
JeffN

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program