Potato flakes

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Potato flakes

Postby Health 1st » Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:52 am

Hello,

I'm trying to get over an injury that's causing me a lot of pain. To help myself not be on my feet too much, I used Bob's Red Mill Potato Flakes 2 times this past week. Are these flakes MWL compliant? They're only made out of non-GMO potatoes, but are technically processed. :?

I put the flakes in a bowl with some garlic powder + Benson's Table Tasty salt-free seasoning, poured in boiling water, stirred, + ate.
Health 1st

Potato flakes

Postby Mark Cooper » Fri Jul 23, 2021 3:40 am

I would say they are probably acceptable for the starch portion of a meal when combined with water and adherent seasonings, since they are just dehydrated potatoes with no non adherent ingredients added. Here's a link to a brief discussion.
Mark Cooper

Re: Potato flakes

Postby Health 1st » Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:54 pm

Mark Cooper wrote:I would say they are probably acceptable for the starch portion of a meal when combined with water and adherent seasonings, since they are just dehydrated potatoes with no non adherent ingredients added. Here's a link to a brief discussion.

Mark,

Thank you; this is great to know! Thank you for the link, too. :)
Health 1st

Postby JeffN » Fri Jul 23, 2021 2:19 pm

Here is some more info on them...

There are many brands/varieties of them and some are just plain potatoes and some have added salt, sugars, oils, etc., so make sure you check them out.

Here is an item that is a great option. It is potato flakes made from 100% potatoes that are just dried and you just add hot water. While I am sure there are varieties/brands of potato flakes out there that do not meet our guidelines, this is one of the best….

https://www.bobsredmill.com/potato-flakes.html

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby Health 1st » Sat Jul 24, 2021 1:03 pm

JeffN wrote:Here is some more info on them...

There are many brands/varieties of them and some are just plain potatoes and some have added salt, sugars, oils, etc., so make sure you check them out.

Here is an item that is a great option. It is potato flakes made from 100% potatoes that are just dried and you just add hot water. While I am sure there are varieties/brands of potato flakes out there that do not meet our guidelines, this is one of the best….

https://www.bobsredmill.com/potato-flakes.html

In Health
Jeff

Thank you, Jeff! Those Bob's Red Mill Flakes are the exact ones I used. :) So nice to have a healthy option rather than standard potato flakes with the oils + preservatives.
Health 1st

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program