What "weird" food combinations do you love eating?

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

What "weird" food combinations do you love eating?

Postby chrysynthia2 » Fri Mar 21, 2008 8:41 am

I'm realizing that I may have some food combo's that others might want to try out, and I am hoping some of you will post your "weird combinations" for myself and others (I'm hoping this isn't on another thread).

I'm on the Mary's mini right now and I'm using oatmeal as my starch, broccoli, carrots and spinach as my veggies.
On my broccoli at lunch I LOVE to add seasoning salt and nutritional yeast to the top.
When I have my oatmeal I soak it overnight with 1/2c unsweetened soymilk (or almond milk) and 1/2c water, for lunch I have it the same way, but last night my nutritional yeast container was out and I decided to add a spoonful to my oatmeal. Yum! I wasn't sure what I expecting, but it was really good, and I added a dash of salt. It was really creamy and kind of "cheezy" in that way nooch is.
And if that isn't weird enough I'm sitting here eating my midmorning snack of baby carrots... dipped in store brand spicy brown mustard!
Spinach salads I'd have to say I'm pretty ordinary about, I make a balsamic reduction and use it for a great salad dressing.

So what are yours?
chrysynthia2

Postby TominTN » Fri Mar 21, 2008 9:44 am

I've started mixing my nutritional yeast and mustard. It keeps the NY from flying away when I'm using it in spinach wraps.

My favorite way to eat whole grain pasta is with peanut sauce and nutritional yeast.

My favorite way to eat frozen veggies (after microwaving for 5 minutes, of course) is with chow chow relish and Thai sweet chili sauce.

The carrots and mustard sounds great.

I like to slice boiled white potatos into rounds on a plate with dollops of 3 or 4 sauces for dipping -- mustard, BBQ sauce, ketchup, whatever.
Whether you think you can or whether you think you can't, you're probably right.

Weight Loss Through the Magic of Calorie Density: http://wp.me/p1utH8-v
TominTN

Postby slugmom » Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:07 am

I've never been a fan of nutritional yeast, but maybe I'll give it another try. It has an odd undertone to me.

Anyway, I like soy sauce. One of my favorite lunches is a heap of green beans with a little reduced sodium soy sauce and garlic.

I also eat my sweet potatoes and potatoes and popcorn with a little soy sauce and garlic, LOL - or popcorn with hot sauce and garlic ...

But someone recommended balsamic vinegar and lemon juice as a salad dressing, and I was surprised to find I like it, so now I'm trying to use more of that and less soy sauce (I'm probably getting too much sodium 'cause I love love love my soy sauce) and I'm liking that!

Another lunch I enjoy is a can of petite diced tomatoes (with juice) and cup or two of frozen corn, and Mrs Dash seasoning, as a quick soupy lunch.
- Kim

slugmom

Postby Fern » Sun Mar 23, 2008 4:40 pm

grapefruit and oats - if you section a grapefruit into the pan and then cook the oats the grapefuit kind of melts and it all tastes yummy

i put mustard on almost anything, braggs on popcorn, and i put entrees on top of salads. i like the hot and cold intermingling, i also do this when i feel the entree is too rich, it allows me to eat the salad without dressing and sort of undercuts the excessiveness of the entree. this is best with lasagna, enchiladas, and other saucy dishes. i also microwave potatoes and put them hot on top of a cold salad
Fern

Oat meal with Salsa

Postby Steve » Mon Mar 24, 2008 7:06 am

I have been eating oatmeal with cinamon for breakfast most days for over five years. I have found that ocaisionally adding salsa on top of the oatmeal can spice things up quite a bit. Maybe this could be called Rancho Oatmeal? Not for the faint at heart.
Steve

Postby auntemmy » Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:59 am

Steve, I don't love oatmeal but I love salsa - I'm willing to try that if it helps me to give oatmeal another chance.....maybe even oatmeal with nutrional yeast cheeze sauce (haven't tried that either) and green chiles. Hope I'm not making anyone sick. :)
~Emmy

What's taters, precious?
Po-ta-toes? Boil 'em. mash 'em, stick 'em in a stew?
auntemmy

Postby Steve » Tue Mar 25, 2008 3:38 pm

Aunt Emmy,

If you try this you will be the only other person I know who did. By the way I use the 5 minute, old fashioned oats and I use a little more water than oats. Say, one cup of water and a little more than 3/4 cup of oats. This makes the oatmeal almost solid when it cools a bit. I still use the cinamon.

Good luck,

Steve
Steve

A couple of my favorites

Postby SueZQuilter » Tue Mar 25, 2008 4:03 pm

I absolutely LOVE soba noodles with peanut sauce and veggies. I throw the noodles into boiling water and throw in broccoli florets, carrots, green onions, sugar snap peas and any other veggie I think will go well with the sauce. I make my own peanut sauce with p.b., a TBL of sugar free apricot jam, rice vinegar and soy sauce. When the noodles are cooked, I drain it all and throw it all into a bowl and pour the sauce over and top with cilantro.

I've been eating a recipe of Anne Esselstyn's for breakfast - slice a banana in the bottom of a bowl, add 1/2-2/3 cup old fashioned oats, sprinkle with cinnamon and top with apple juice. Microwave for 4 minutes and allow to stand to set up. I take this to work every day in a plastic container and nuke when I feel like eating.

There's my 2 cents. Everyone else's sound excellent and I'm going to try more nutritional yeast, I have it at home but rarely use it. I think it's time. Thanks for all the ideas.
Take good care,

Sue D.

"Be the change you want to see in the world." Unknown.
SueZQuilter

Re: A couple of my favorites

Postby slugmom » Tue Mar 25, 2008 4:13 pm

SueZQuilter wrote:I absolutely LOVE soba noodles with peanut sauce and veggies. I throw the noodles into boiling water and throw in broccoli florets, carrots, green onions, sugar snap peas and any other veggie I think will go well with the sauce. I make my own peanut sauce with p.b., a TBL of sugar free apricot jam, rice vinegar and soy sauce. When the noodles are cooked, I drain it all and throw it all into a bowl and pour the sauce over and top with cilantro.

Mmmm I love soba noodles and veggies with peanut sauce, too. I make my sauce differently -- pb, soy sauce, honey, a little bit of rice vinegar, cayenne, and garlic ... I like it with chopped Bok Choy when I'm in the mood for chopping. :)

maybe I will make something with a peanut sauce for dinner.
- Kim

slugmom

Peanut Butter Sauce

Postby SueZQuilter » Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:27 am

Oooooh Kim, your peanut sauce sounds good also. I'll have to play around with mine and see about adding some garlic (well, I do add the Sambal Oelek with garlic :-) )

Thanks for the recipe.
Take good care,

Sue D.

"Be the change you want to see in the world." Unknown.
SueZQuilter

Postby Faith in DC » Wed Mar 26, 2008 1:57 pm

gosh all this time I thought I really ate weird, well, that's what my family tells me, but I've had a hard time coming up with something weird.

Weekends I do eat leftovers, or soup for breakfast. That's cause I skip lunch and need hearty.

One quick meal for me - brown rice and slightly drained triple succotash on top. Triple is limas, corn and chopped tomatoes canned.

I do the brown rice, with half a can of asian veggies, and soy sauce and chili sauce mixed. I've been avoiding the peanut with the calories. It does sound good.
Faith
I'm in training for maintaining
Faith in DC

Postby auntemmy » Thu Mar 27, 2008 8:47 am

All these weird combos sound more yummy than weird - I gotta try the peanut sauce soon - Steve, use use cinnamon and salsa? You madcap! :D
~Emmy

What's taters, precious?
Po-ta-toes? Boil 'em. mash 'em, stick 'em in a stew?
auntemmy

weird food combinations

Postby vegan1mimi » Sat Mar 29, 2008 12:05 pm

For St. Patrick's day I made Colcannon for the first time and my husband loved it! So now it is a regular for us. My husband loves it so much he peeled the potatoes! WOW! :shock:
Vegan1Mimi
vegan1mimi

Re: weird food combinations

Postby slugmom » Sat Mar 29, 2008 4:55 pm

vegan1mimi wrote:For St. Patrick's day I made Colcannon for the first time and my husband loved it! So now it is a regular for us. My husband loves it so much he peeled the potatoes! WOW! :shock:

I'm not familiar with Colcannon, can you point me to a McDougall-approved recipe?
- Kim

slugmom

Postby vegan1mimi » Sat Mar 29, 2008 5:38 pm

McDougall newsletter October of 06 has a real good recipie I use the water that I cooked the potatoes in instead of soymilk...and I cut my cabbage into chunks and cook it aldente then mix it with the potatoes.Oh it is sooooo yum !
Vegan1Mimi
vegan1mimi

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program