August 2020 McDougall MWL Weigh-In Group

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: August 2020 McDougall MWL Weigh-In Group

Postby squealcat » Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:49 am

I had a small gain last week and was hoping for a loss this week but as the week progressed I stumbled again and again. Belief is my problem and this morning listening to a talk by Dr Doug Lisle he pinpointed it. Staying on track and following the 10 points for longer than a week is what I need to do so I believe that I CAN do this.

This week I had a 2.7 # gain

All the points were trouble for me except I didn't drink my calories and I kept to my exercise routine of walking 5 days a week for at least 30 minutes ( usually I walk 70 minutes ).

I have to work on my belief system so I will return in September . I LOVE reading all the encouraging words and I cheer everyone on as they enter this next month !

-squealcat (Marilyn)
squealcat

Postby Amberlina » Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:18 am

Weight change +/- in lbs - (+2) :crybaby:
Total loss since 7/7/2020: (-7) :|
Points from the MWL Checklist where I succeeded this week- Points from the MWL Checklist that need greater attention- I messed up on 2 and 3- My budget was very tight and I didnt a lot enough veggies to keep everything half and half.
General impressions & observations / resources to share / sources of excitement / requests for input & support- I had more processed food, white grains than veggies. Naturally, I didn't feel satisfied so ate even more out of balance. I am going to use this list from Jeff Novick to get back on track.
https://eatplant-based.com/10-simple-he ... d-recipes/
Amberlina

Postby Hope410 » Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:19 am

Hello Mark,

Weight loss -1.6

MWL checkpoints 1-6, 8-9 were all 100% but point 7 was 95% and point 10 was only at 60% this week.

It felt good to follow the 10 point checklist more closely this week by eating much simpler meals and having soup prepared for the preload.

Looking forward to continuing MWL in September.

See you all next week.
Hope410

Postby Golightly » Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:43 am

Weight loss: 0
Drat!
I exercised too little and Ate too many dried fruits, pasta, etc. so I didn’t expect to lose any weight this week. And I was right. Ugh.
So I’m going back 2 weeks when I had a 3 pound loss. Exercise every day, stick to basic and balanced meals and oatmeal every breakfast.
10-point checklist:
1. Start each meal... Yes! I made a delicious veggie soup!
2. 50/50 Plate...& fruit for dessert. No to fruit dessert. Usually had my two servings at breakfast.
3. No added sugar and salts. Yes!
4. Eliminate all animal foods. Yes!
5. Eliminate high fat plant food. No. I had soy twice.
6. Eliminate oil. Yes!
7. Eliminate high calorie products. No. I had bread twice and dried fruit.
8. Don’t drink calories. Yes!
9. Don’t starve, don’t stuff. Yes!
10. Exercise. No. I went out for walks only three times this week.
Discovery: even minor changes in diet and exercise seems to have a large impact on my weight. I will weigh every other day this week to see if my change in behavior moves the scale in a positive direction. I didn’t even realize that my lack of exercise and too much focus on High calorie dense foods would have such a fast effect.
Golightly

Postby OrangeBird » Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:45 am

July SW 242
CW 223.8
Change this week -2.2 lbs

Was in compliance on pretty much all points. May not have had a salad before dinner a few times but usually on a day where I had a large salad for lunch. Still good on activity. Having a minor medical thing today so I will be restricted on activity/food for a few days so not sure how that is going to impact things for the upcoming week. I am making a batch of soup today and have some rice, potatoes, and oatmeal cooked as well.

30 days to the wedding!
OrangeBird

Postby Beeshell » Fri Aug 28, 2020 11:06 am

Weight change +/- in lbs - +1.9

Total loss since 7/1/2020:
4.3 pounds

Points from the MWL Checklist where I succeeded this week- Points from the MWL Checklist that need greater attention- I struggled this week with eating sweets. I was low on fruit / fruit that I had wasn't very good - so struggled with eating that instead of sugar. I know I had several times of emotional eating. Knowledge of this is important to me and I am continuing. In the past, I'd "give up" but don't plan on doing that. As much as I'd like to be 100% compliant, or even 95%, it's not going to happen overnight. I appreciate the focus on behavioral change that this program promotes.

General impressions & observations / resources to share / sources of excitement / requests for input & support- I know I need to find better ways of dealing with emotions, especially those that are sometimes hard to pinpoint. I do discuss such things in counseling and will continue to work on change with this type of eating in response to negative emotions.
Beeshell

Postby Renestl » Fri Aug 28, 2020 11:39 am

July 1 (SW) - 239.6
July 31 - 231.4
Aug 7 - 231.6 (+0.2)
Aug 14 - 233.4 (+1.8 )
Aug 21 - 230.2 (-3.2)
Aug 23 - 229.1 (-1.1)

I'm kinda disappointed with how this month has gone, but grateful I was able to avoid a complete upward trend. I know where my mistakes lie and will be continuing on for September. I choose to believe all progress towards compliance of the checklist is good progress and I'll continue trying to make more.
Renestl

Postby ladevereaux » Fri Aug 28, 2020 11:44 am

08/03/2020: 246.7
08/07/2020: 241.7
08/14/2020: 242.7
08/21/2020: 241.3
08/28/2020: 241.0
Weight change: -0.3 lbs (Total: -5.7 lbs)

10-Point Checklist:
1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. YES
2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. YES
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. NO
4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). YES
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). YES
6. Eliminate any added oil. YES
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. NO
8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). YES
9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. YES
10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). YES

Observations:
Overall, I did very well this week meeting 8 out of the 10 checkpoints. I spent the majority of the week preparing for Tropical Storm Marco/Hurricane Laura (I live in a suburb of Houston). I bought some snacks for family members who stayed with me and those tortilla chips got the best of me. I am happy for the drop in lbs but I know the extra sodium kept it from being more. (Yes I still weigh myself a could of times per week.) But more than that, I am grateful that the storm did not effect my area and continue to pray for our neighbors in LA.
ladevereaux

Postby wstokes » Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:02 pm

-1.6 lb
Just glad to lose this week. The next 10 lbs will definitely require stricter adherence to the guidelines. I think next month could be well suited for this.
wstokes

Mark's Replies for August 28 - Part 1

Postby Mark Cooper » Fri Aug 28, 2020 2:00 pm

Expat in NZ - You are absolutely right that a loss is a loss, and that is a fantastic total for the month! I completely agree with what you observed about making steady, systematic changes in behavior, and then suddenly realizing you feel really great and don't need to "medicate" with troublesome foods. :nod: It sounds like you have a really exemplary doctor!

LesleyMills - I wish you the very best with those personal / family issues. Give yourself credit for recognizing the pattern you were heading into, and getting back on track in short order. I think your idea of making a point to craft satisfying, flavorful, adherent meals makes sense - concentrate on including the flavors and ingredients you most enjoy (in an adherent fashion). Something I found helpful, when presented with similar circumstances, was to plan a few specific, comforting activities to turn toward that were not related to food, e.g. meditation, going for a walk, listening to a favorite song. You are so right that we're all "a work in progress," and trial and error in figuring out how we can best manage changing circumstances is an important part of the process.

PonysPlants - Gradual progress in the right direction is still progress! You are so right about how a few "exceptions" here and there can be a slippery slope, and start to creep their way toward becoming the norm. It sounds like your assessment with the checklist functioned just as we would hope; it's much easier to manage the things we actually measure, I think. "Exercise is to make me feel good and has little relation to my weight loss." That has certainly been my experience. "It's the food!"

Waterfit - It can feel so jarring when our excellent efforts aren't made manifest on the scale. I think you are right to take this single point of data in stride; concentrating on the pattern of behavior is exactly the right focus, and close adherence will produce results (although not always on the timeframe we might prefer). Enjoying easy, tasty meals that you love eating seems like a great reason to move forward!

Cathy Ann - Another 2 lbs! You lost 2 lbs for every August weigh-in! Well done! That solid attention to the MWL 10-Point Checklist has definitely paid off. I think often that first step into daily exercise can be the hardest one to take; it sometimes helps to just promise yourself you'll put in at least 5 or 10 minutes, and once you get started continuing may feel less daunting. Whole grain couscous is an acceptable choice for the starch component of a meal, with the same considerations as more typical whole grain pastas. I'm excited for September, too!

josietheschnauzer - That looks like a very solid week! That virtual Santiago de Compostela walk /run sounds amazing! Keep up your thoughtful attention to the recommended pattern of behavior. :thumbsup:

Abe - That is great! I'm happy to hear closely tracking adherence to the 50/50 guideline felt helpful; it has definitely been my experience that conscious attention to a particular behavior provides a more accurate sense of progress, and since it makes me think about the specific behavior at the "decision point" I'm more likely to make a choice congruent with my goals. Have fun with that Bowflex Max!

jan_npr - Good progress! I think consistently tracking our pattern of behavior is essential, both for having a clear view of what we're actually doing and for providing some motivation toward the recommended habits. I feel for your struggles with that knee pain. Have you noticed it developing or changing in response to particular foods? If it were connected to a food reaction, this post on the elimination diet outlines an effective approach. Keep at it!

goal140 - Kudos on those two 10/10 days! The more consistently you are able to adhere to the MWL 10-Point Checklist, the more consistent your results are likely to be. Sometimes it helps to take it a day at a time (or even meal-by-meal) and work on building a solid pattern over time. Having a "clean" environment and being well-prepared always makes things easier. Was anything different about those 2 days in regard to your routine, prep, or situation?

CindyD - Nice loss and nice work doing well with the guidelines! Well done not letting that single indulgence be the start of a string. 28 lbs gone since July! :thumbsup:

calharv - Hang in there, Cal! I think you are right that ongoing attention and self-assessment with the MWL 10-Point Checklist ultimately moves us toward more consistent adherence. One of the reasons I think it is important to focus on the behaviors specifically, as opposed to outcomes, is that outcome-related "evidence" can sometimes introduce the idea of having "wiggle room" into our minds, and lead us toward making less than ideal choices.

Kathie - Kudos! Seems like you did well with the guidelines! Jeff has a great thread on Dining Out, including some basic principles for doing so successfully. Keep at it!

Creaky - 5 pounds down in two weeks! Great progress with the guidelines! Added stress never makes things less challenging, but you are SO right that not having troublesome foods around to be eaten makes it MUCH easier not to eat them. :nod:

GreenFroG - Woo-hoo! 10/10! :thumbsup: Continue your diligent attention to the recommended behaviors and the scale will work itself out. That future shopping expedition sounds like a happy occasion!

connielovesdogs - Big result! That accounts for last week and then some, so your adherence seems to have been rewarded! Well done! That feeling of being on track is so pleasant. We've been loving the watermelon from our CSA the last few weeks, but I think we may have seen the last of it here, as well. Thanks for your kind words!

Trish - I think sometimes the perception that other people can seem to achieve desirable outcomes with a more lax overall pattern of behavior can feel quite unfair; we may not always have an accurate view into what their actual behaviors are, but of course some of us just naturally require more strict adherence to achieve the results we want (myself included). For me, it was really important to be honest with myself about what my observations over time taught me I would need to do to get where I wanted to be. Attending to the recommended behaviors is always the surest approach, and the best way to avoid troublesome foods is to eat of the recommended foods, in the recommended manner, whenever you are feeling hungry.

rlechols - Wow, Rachel! Down another pound and another excellent week of adherence! How wonderful that it feels like your food addictions have been eliminated and a sprinkle of sugar no longer triggers a pattern of counterproductive behavior. :D I'm glad we'll have the benefit of your participation and experience in the group for at least a few more months! As you continue to hone your routine and gather information, I imagine you'll start to narrow in on an overall pattern of behavior that feels sustainable and satisfactory for you long term, while achieving and maintaining the results you want.

squealcat - Good work keeping to your exercise routine during what sounds like an otherwise challenging week. I think you are right that "proving" to yourself that you can adhere to the recommended behaviors for a significant duration of time goes a long way toward building a "belief" that you will succeed. I've found that "planning for success" is very helpful - what are the things I need to do to make this day / week / month a success? Planning and preparing the necessary components of an adherent pattern of behavior sets a precedent for adherence, I believe. Cheers to a successful September!

Amberlina - Hang in there! Knowing the things you need to change to progress as you would like lays out a clear path forward. Those recipes from Jeff are great; I would note that for MWL tahini is not recommended.
JeffN wrote:Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy).
Here is a similar set of recipes from Jeff.

Hope410 - Goodbye to 1.6 lbs! How wonderful that a week of closer adherence with simple meals felt good to you! See you in September!

Golightly - I think having an awareness of our pattern of behavior, making a prediction about the result, and having that checked against reality is how we learn what we'll need to do. That seems like it can be an important part of the process in actually making these changes durable and sustainable; we're "teaching" ourselves how our lifestyle needs to look. I'd be wary of using granular, short-term feedback from the scale as a means of gauging the impact of specific behaviors; during the weight loss phase, the general recommendation is to weigh once a week, for all the reasons outlined in To Weigh or Not to Weigh. Try to focus your efforts on the process of changing the behaviors, rather than the outcomes, if you can.

OrangeBird - Excellent adherence delivering great results! Awesome! Wishing you the best with your medical thing; it seems like you are making some preparations that should help maintain your routine, which always helps. :thumbsup:

Beeshell - Good for you not letting a challenging week provide the impetus to "give up!" You are so right that we don't make these changes overnight, and focus and effort toward making consistent, ongoing progress with the recommended pattern of behavior is more important than being "perfect." It has been my experience that feeling overwhelmed with powerful emotions makes adherence seem much more difficult to maintain "in the moment." Any efforts we can make toward planning and food preparation when we feel at our best really pay off, because then we have an easily accessible stock of adherent foods to draw from even when our energy and willpower is diminished.

Renestl - Being down 2.3 lbs since the end of July is still real progress! Knowing what you need to change gives you a direction for moving forward. The most effective way to support continuing and improving progress is to keep diligently working toward the recommended pattern of behavior. Onward!

ladevereaux - 8/10 is a substantial improvement from last week! Great work! It seems like you gathered some useful information about the effect of having those tortilla chips immediately available that you can carry forward. So glad to hear you were unaffected by the big storms!

wstokes - Nice loss! Those last pounds nearly always present a challenge. I think September makes a great opportunity for closer adherence to the MWL guidelines. :nod:
Mark Cooper

Postby Belana » Fri Aug 28, 2020 2:06 pm

I have no idea what I weighed last time I posted, cuz it's been a while and I can't find my last post. :?
I'm still doing my best to comply with all the MWL guidelines, but I'm not living in any kind of stability and I'm constantly on the road.
It'll be this way for me until I move into my new home January 15.
Between now and then, my life will be unstable because of lots of moving around and traveling to Mexico.
I'll keep trying my best to stick to MWL, since that's the only thing that I firmly believe is keeping me healthy.
When I give into the cram circuit or anything else that sabotages my health, I end up feeling a lot worse.
Not feeling so great these days, but I know it would be a lot worse if I wasn't adhering as best I can to MWL.
Weight: 103.4
I have no idea how much I've lost, since I can't find the last post I submitted! :roll:
Belana

Postby Wfpb2020 » Fri Aug 28, 2020 3:52 pm

Start date 7/1/20

July loss - 9.4 lbs
8/14/20 - 1.8 lbs
8/21/20 - .4 lbs
8/28/20 - .6 lbs
Total Loss: - 12.2 lbs

1) Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. Yes
2) Follow the 50/50 plate method; Choose fruit for desert. Yes
3) Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. Yes
4) Eliminate all animal foods 6/7 fast food salad with chicken once.
5) Eliminate all higher fat plant foods. Yes
6) Eliminate any added oil. Yes
7) Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products, puffed cereals, popcorn and dried fruit. Yes
8 ) Don’t drink your calories. Yes
9) Eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve/stuff yourself. Yes
10) Aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily. Yes

Tried to look at checklist for every meal so I could be 100% compliant. Compliance was better this week. Could warm low sodium V-8 serve as a soup?
Wfpb2020

Postby JeffN » Fri Aug 28, 2020 5:11 pm

Wfpb2020 wrote:Could warm low sodium V-8 serve as a soup?

We do not recommend it because of health concerns, it has potassium chloride instead of the salt, which you can read more about here.....

viewtopic.php?t=11630

Also, it is liquid calories, so not a recommended choice for MWL. We want soups that are chock full of non-starchy veggies and even some starchy ones

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby VivianS » Fri Aug 28, 2020 6:00 pm

VivianS August 28, 2020
Weight change -4.4 pounds.
I succeeded on all 10 points of the MWL checklist.
Thanks for your help!
VivianS

Postby jkcook » Fri Aug 28, 2020 7:43 pm

-2 !!! I am so happy. I think I’m cutting down on portions, which has always been a problem for me.
I’m fine on the 10 steps. Bought 10 more pounds of potatoes today!
jkcook

PreviousNext

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program