August 2020 McDougall MWL Weigh-In Group

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: August 2020 McDougall MWL Weigh-In Group

Postby calharv » Fri Aug 14, 2020 1:26 pm

Initial weigh-in since joining a few days ago...I will measure my future progress from today!
174 lb.s
That is on the higher end of my fluctuations.

Glad to be part of the group!
calharv

Mark's Replies for August 14 - Part 1

Postby Mark Cooper » Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:00 pm

LesleyMills - WOW! Nice result! It seems you made some helpful adjustments. Be mindful that you aren't letting yourself become too hungry; would it be possible to have a reserve of that soup you describe (or some other 50/50 prepared dish) ready for those times you feel like you're definitely needing a snack? Jeff has a thread discussing iodine here. Onward and downward!

PonysPlants - :D That is another solid week! I'm glad you aren't melting! Keep chipping away at those remaining areas that offer the opportunity to further support your efforts.

Abe - I imagine it feels great when that drop shows up on the scale, "all at once," or otherwise! I suspect that you're probably losing some amount of fat each week, but because of all the other factors that can influence the scale, that progress isn't as apparent in the short run, but becomes observable over the course of the month. It seems to me like you consume a roughly similar volume of food to what I eat in a typical day; just based on my own observations, I would say we're both outliers on the high side of the average. Finding that balance between starches and non-starchy vegetables, and including a "preload" course to my meals seem to be what made the biggest difference in supporting continuing weight loss for me (and, of course, consistency in adhering to all 10-Points from the checklist over an extended period of time). Are meals "on the job" the main source of difficulty in more closely following the 50/50 guideline? If so, maybe we can come up with some potential ideas for that.

josietheschnauzer - That looks like a pretty solid week to me! Like you, I'm interested to see where you "settle" over the course of the coming months practicing MWL. Enjoy those new clothes! Great idea to add in some resistance training; starting with some simple, at home exercises sounds like a good plan. :thumbsup:

Cathy Ann - Another 2 pounds down! Well done attending to the recommended behaviors! I'm so sorry you have been dealing with pain in your hip; great work recognizing that binging on troublesome foods wouldn't be an appropriate solution. It makes complete sense to concentrate on pool activities until that flare of discomfort settles down.

squealcat - Great progress, Marilyn! You aced 3/4 of the checklist, and it seems like you have a good plan for continuing to work on the remaining points. Figuring out how to make things work in a particular situation, in a way you can live with, is a really important part of the process, I think. Keep finding those small opportunities for improvement, and implementing them where you are able to do so. Have fun watching those seeds come to life!

Dennis h - That is a dramatic result and an awesome demonstration of how effective the plan can be! Kudos for your excellent adherence this week, and that well-deserved reward from the scale. :D

wstokes - Nice loss! It can be really difficult to be "perfect," but being mindful of lapses and returning to the recommended behaviors in short order definitely seems helpful. Continue to concentrate on the MWL 10-Point Checklist, and I expect you will achieve that goal in due course. :nod:

Waterfit - Yay! 2 year low! It sounds like you're doing a great job figuring out a routine that you can make work!

CindyD - That is a big number! Doing great with the guidelines is what I like to hear! Dr. McDougall recommends limiting beans to 1 Cup per day on average, so going over that on some days (and under on others) shouldn't generally be a problem. Most of my work as an artist has been in the commercial or educational space; I don't have a website for my personal work at present (but it is on my lengthy to-do list :-D ).

Wfpb2020 - Nice loss! It appears you have many of the checklist points well in hand! Keep striving for continuing progress with those remaining opportunities.

Golightly - Yay! Always fun when the scale returns a pleasing result! Your assessment with the checklist highlights those areas on which to focus for keeping up that momentum. That horrifying documentary scene sounds like a very powerful experience. In my case, I came to this way of eating seeking health and, after some time, found myself developing a greater appreciation for the ethical (and environmental) implications of food choices.

BarbaraLynn - Down 2.2 lbs! Enjoying how you feel, feeling satisfied, and being happy with the results sounds wonderful! Keep doing the best you can to add activity into your daily routine - hiking sounds very enjoyable!

ladevereaux - Happy Birthday, Leslie! I applaud you for that candid appraisal of the recommended behaviors, and for your conscious efforts to make what you felt were the best available choices within a given situation; I think being mindful of those deviations can be really helpful in keeping them from taking over the whole week. I expect that morning BP reading felt encouraging!

Vegeloon - I'm glad to hear you're taking what felt like an off week in stride, and getting right back on track! Focus on the recommended pattern of behavior, and you'll see the results you seek. Keep at it!

Hope410 - Another pound gone! Great work getting in the daily walks! So often, preparation makes the difference for close adherence, so I'm sure any time invested in having appropriate foods ready to go will pay dividends. Isn't it funny how unwelcome guests like that zucchini bread seem to find their way into one's home? Cheers for a great week ahead!

Trish - Awesome! It sounds like you are starting to settle into a nice groove with your day to day routine. I can absolutely relate to a particular scale reading feeling like a "real mystery." I think many of us have a natural tendency to try to find "reasons" for an individual weigh-in result, but that can often backfire; something that seems to correlate to a loss or gain might actually have no (or little) connection. Relying on the proven and time-tested scientific evidence to tell us the pattern of behaviors most likely to deliver the results we are after, in the aggregate, over time and attending to those behaviors is the most effective approach, but it can certainly feel fraught when the particular feedback mechanism we're monitoring isn't predictably responsive (in the short-term) to our efforts. I'm glad you feel better able to realistically calibrate your expectations, and keep your attention where the leverage resides - on behavior. :thumbsup:

conniegeerhart - WOW! Great progress! Enjoy your week away from work - using that opportunity to stay active and break that lingering habit seems like a great plan! Best wishes with the colonoscopy, it sounds like you're putting together a thoughtful plan for managing how the requirements for that procedure will impact your routine.

vegyluvver - 2 pounds lost! In my own case, I found a daily "check-in" with the MWL 10-Point Checklist to be extremely helpful in clearly accessing my overall pattern of behavior and keeping on track. Aim for more and more meals that you would rate as great, fewer and fewer that feel terrible. Happy biking!

rlechols - Nice work navigating all those disruptions to your routine, it sounds like you did what you judged best in each situation. For me, getting back to that well-established and tested pattern always feel comforting. :)

Kathie - That's a three pound loss, if I'm not mistaken! :thumbsup: Nice progress with the checklist; planning and preparation inevitably make it easier to adhere. When you say you eat "too late," is that because it affects your sleep, or some other reason? Generally, the best thing to do if you feel hungry, is to eat of the recommended foods, in the recommended fashion.

Amberlina - Down a pound! Try not to feel discouraged, that is reasonable progress. Using the MWL 10-Point Checklist to assess where you have the opportunity to better support your weight loss goals is exactly the right approach; eliminating those remaining higher calorie dense foods seems like an appropriate step. :nod:

Violet3135 - Excellent adherence! Seeing the results we're hoping for on the scale always feels good! I wish you all the best in preparing for and managing the upcoming change in your routine and environment. If you haven't already seen Dr. Lisle's lecture Getting Along Without Going Along, you may find it helpful; he provides an effective approach for dealing with the sort of social situation you describe.

laura_delao - Down a pound this week! I'm happy to hear you are feeling pleased! Dr. McDougall has a resource page discussing constipation, as well as a newsletter article. Jeff discusses the topic here. Those are all definitely worth a look. Enjoy those potatoes!

Beeshell - I hope your birthday was happy and enjoyable, despite the resulting disruption for your behavioral changes! Attending to the areas you've highlighted for greater focus should be fruitful. Many happy returns!

calharv - This is a great time to get started, Cal! How has it been going with the MWL 10-Point Checklist? Glad to have you! :D
Mark Cooper

Postby pootsy » Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:47 pm

Getting back on track. Lost 6 pounds since last weigh in reported.
Have successfully battled a coffee habit ( again) that only led me in bad directions with coffee and....
Still working on 100% compliance with checklist #s 3, 7 & 8.
I made a big pot of minestrone soup that was a game changer this week. I even ate it cold. So good to have something ready , even on these hot days. Morning steel cut oatmeal has been a daily breakfast, I seem to do better without a lot of variety.
About to put some sweet potatoes in the oven , just to have on hand.
Thanks to all the participants and moderators for keeping me interested !!!! :)
pootsy

Postby Joanne_elon » Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:10 pm

AUG 14.

MINUS ..... 1 pound .

Total weight loss ..... 6 pounds since starting in July.
Thank you for this forum.

Joanne-elon
Joanne_elon

Postby ceeceeb » Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:50 pm

Thank you for the welcome, Mark. It is very appreciated. I plan to prepare salad makings and soups tomorrow to start my week off right. I have been WFPB for 5+ years but now am realizing how much I relied on higher fat foods instead of veggies and starch. And I wondered WHY I wasn't able to lose weight! It is so enriching to read everyone's posts and it definitely makes me feel I am not on this journey alone. I am also intrigued by the SNAP template. (Does that stand for something??) I plan on making use of that as well.

So, again, thanks for the welcome. I'm hoping that I have good news to report next Friday.
ceeceeb

Postby Dot » Fri Aug 14, 2020 5:13 pm

Initial Weight: July 3/20 - 150 lbs Goal: 130-135 lbs
July Monthly Loss: - 5 lbs
Aug 1/20 - 145 lbs
Aug 7/20 -143 Loss 2 lbs
Aug 14/20 - 143 - 0 lbs loss

I’m reviewing the 10 - Point Checklist:
#1&2 One dessert or a snack a day is oat grouts and sweet potato with a fruit. That’s the only time I eat that I don’t follow the 50/50 rule. Should I have included the oat grouts and sweet potato as part of that meals’s 50/50 starch?
#3 An occasional sprinkle of salt, less than once a day. I make my own condiments without salt. Occasional use of low salt mustard or coconut amnios, 2-3 times a week. I make all my food from scratch, always have, but sometimes can’t find no-salt tomatoes.
Try not to use balsamic vinegar everyday and measure with teaspoon. One tablespoon of nutritional yeast lasts me the week, used to use 3 tablespoons at most meals.
#8 Used a squeeze of lemon in water on excessively hot days.
#9 I’ve had few cravings and I think I’m generally eating less.
#10 Continued 30 minutes of either walking or rowing and have added a ‘10 minute energizing yoga’ routine in morning. I gave it up in the spring when I sprained my back. It feels good to be doing it again and my plan has been to increase it soon to 15-20 minutes.

This has been a good week. Went out for drinks and dinner with my bridge friends. I drank soda water with wedge of lemon. Dinner was baked potato and salad with malt vinegar and mustard. That’s all that was available. But I’m OK with that, as I went home and had a real dinner afterwards.
Still trying to find more non-starchy veggies that I like, to fill 1/2 my plate. Carrots, beets, beans and salad are my mainstays. I’ve been noshing on fresh cucumbers in season instead of apples and dried fruit. They come in handy ‘on the road’ and I’m starting to almost enjoy them.
I’ve gone back to making potato sandwiches. Cold grilled potato slices take the place of the bread and they are convenient and portable in hot weather.
I have a veggie soup that I make in the Instant Pot twice a week and it has become the favorite part of my meal.
I’m within 10 lbs of my goal so I know the going will be slow and my 'vintage’ mechanical scale is not making weight loss recording that accurate.
I’m looking forward to reading this weeks comments and advice, you are all so inspiring!
D.
Dot

Postby VivianS » Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:56 pm

VivianS August 14, 2020
Weight change -0.6 pound Today I weigh 160.8 pounds. I saw 159 earlier this week. I felt happy!
I succeeded on points 1,2,and 10
I need to focus on 3,4,5,6,7,8,and 9
My mother told me, "Don't eat the FIRST one, then you can resist the urge to eat the strawberries now. You can fill basket with strawberries to enjoy in the winter." Now I am going to write that phrase on an index card for me to see when I think about eating Pringles...#7...my most repeated mistake.
The rest of the points fell on one incident each but the rest of week I was compliant. I mean
3 I salted a meal.
4 I ate 2 tablespoons of mayonnaise at one meal.
5 I ate a tax bite of an salty sweet almond bar I unwrapped for the 2 1/2 year old boy I love. He eats broccoli, fruit, or anything else he wants from my packages, but his momma buys him the sweet stuff.
6 No added oil, but I took a tax bite of French fries from the happy meal his grandmother buys for him and his 3 year old sister.
7 Eliminate refined foods: Pringles are being eliminated in my stool, but doing damage to my body (taxing my health). I'm going to look forward to a better future by saying to myself and actually doing it, "DON'T EAT THE FIRST ONE."
8 I had to get up early and drive 90 minutes to a hospital for a test and then the drive home. I drank a Dr. Pepper for the caffeine to stay awake and alert to drive safely. My husband requested that I drink it. I drank only water the rest of the week.
9 I felt stuffed on Wednesday when I spent 4 to 5 hours alone with the 2 great grands. They eat constantly. I put the fruit and other foods where they can reach them and they put their food in their tricycle trunks and ride away down the hall and around and around they go. I have my ice chest in the car and they know I always have food with me. Children learn what they live.
I also felt starved today. I did my part to keep the medical community paid and safe today. I was surprised to see the sign on the hospital door "GLOVES MUST BE REMOVED BEFORE ENTERING THE BUILDING." I had on my mask. I signed paperwork with a pen they asked me to keep. Smart! I was glad that I wasn't handling a pen someone else used first. All went well and now I will wait for the call from my doctor.
Thank you for letting me write a post. The thinking helps me live better and prepare for a better week. I tried the SNAP MEAL RECIPE and Jeff Novick sent me a reply immediately. I now have 5 different soups I like and I have shared with my friends.
VivianS

Postby goal140 » Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:46 pm

Hello everyone,

Couldn’t post last Friday and Saturday as our internet was out for a couple of days due to storms. Last week my weight was 163.8 and today it was 161.0, a loss of 2.8 pounds. I’m closer to being back on track, not quite as out of control as I have been. Chocolate, salt and fats and sugar have been my downfall. My problem has been that I’m not satisfied when I eat. I can eat to the point of being full, eating compliant foods but am not satisfied and just keep on eating. This happens mostly in the evenings. I still have issues with eating non-compliant foods. But I am not giving up.
goal140

Postby Dahabeena » Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:04 pm

Hello!

I wasn't able to post last week because of a loss of power/connection due to weather. I had a -3.2 lbs loss last week but this week only a loss of 0.2. I was hoping for a bigger loss but am thankful for any movement.

I was able to start all meals ( with the exception of breakfast) with a salad or soup and ended the day with a fruit. I did not drink any juices or soda and had only water and herbal tea. I was able to go for a 45-90 min walk or bike ride every day this week as well which I am very happy about.

Although I stuck to the starch solution guidelines, it was not always a 50/50 plate, so I will do better at this for the upcoming week. I also think I can do more work to simplify my meals by excluding salsa's and hot sauces.

For the upcoming week I will stick to a simplified 50/50 plate, will continue my exercise regimen and keep the 10 guidelines front and center!
Dahabeena

Postby texaslil » Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:09 pm

Mostly a good week, but did have a few slips. My daughter suggested chipotle...and I accepted :-D While it was vegan, it was most definitely not oil or flour free. Moving forward though :)

lbs lost: 0
lbs gained: 0

So it could have been worse!

1) Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. I finally understand this, and also understand that I have not been doing it right. Essentially I should be eating more low density salad/soup so that I eat less of the higer density meal... it takes me a while but I'm coming around
2) Follow the 50/50 plate method; Choose fruit for desert. YES
3) Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. YES
4) Eliminate all animal foods YES
5) Eliminate all higher fat plant foods. CHIPOTLE!
6) Eliminate any added oil. CHIPOTLE
7) Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods CHIPOTLE
8 ) Don’t drink your calories. 2 SMOOTHIES
9) Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. MOSTLY HAVE THIS UNDER CONTROL
10) Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily. 5 out of 7 FEELING VERY GOOD IN THIS AREA
texaslil

Postby Renestl » Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:11 pm

July 31 - 231.4
Aug 7 - 231.6 (+0.2)
Aug 14 - 233.4 (+1.8)

Focus is getting strict on #4, 6, & 7. :nod:
Renestl

Postby Reni » Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:49 pm

Hello Everyone!

I have completed the orientation and would like to join the group. As of today, my weight is 170.8. I love the focus on the checklist.

As you may have noticed, I am a long time fan of Dr. McDougall. I have been on and off the program for years. I followed the program strictly for a year or so and reversed my infertility and got pregnant! Also, lowered my cholesterol by 70 points.

Fast forward about 8 years and now I'm struggling with excess weight and type 2 diabetes. I know this program works! Am considering starting a journal, too.

Excited to join everyone this month!

-Reni
Reni

Postby Lucas » Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:04 pm

4/27/20: 203.2
5/1/20: 201.8
5/8/20: 200.0
5/15/20: 198.6
5/22/20: 197.8
5/29/20: 196.0
6/5/20 : 193.8
6/12/20: 192.8
6/19/20: 192.6
6/26/20: 191.8
7/3/20: 190.8
7/10/20: 188.8
7/17/20: 189.0
7/24/20: 187.4
7/31/20: 187.8
8/7/20: 186.6
8/14/20: 187.8

Change: +1.2

Hi everyone. It's been a tough week. Last Saturday I went mountain biking and wiped out on one of the trails. Cut and gashed my right knee up pretty good. I cut and bruised my left pinky finger along with my right shoulder. Knee is still pretty tender and is still healing from the gashes it sustained so I was not able to walk the treadmill this week.

I know I could of at least done better adhering to the other 9 points. Ah well. I realize I might not be able to get back to the treadmill this coming week so I better try harder to adhere to the other 9 points this coming week.

A 10-POINT CHECKLIST FOR MAXIMUM WEIGHT LOSS (MWL) 

1) Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. Mostly fruit

2) Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches.  Choose fruit for dessert. I think most meals this week I did not adhere to the 50/50 plate method. Need to get to the grocery store to get more no starch veggies.

3) Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts.  This includes gourmet sugars and salts too.  If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. Yes, good.

4) Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). Yes, good.

5) Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). Yes, good.

6) Eliminate any added oil. Yes, good

7) Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e. bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. Had some Vermicelli a couple of times this week.

8 ) Don’t drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). Yes, good.

9) Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full.   Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. Hard one for me.

10) Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). Knee is pretty tender so was not able to walk the treadmill.

It’s time to start zeroing in on #9 and work really hard at consistency.
Have a great week!
Lucas

Postby laura_delao » Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:32 pm

Thank you Mark, great articles. I can increase my water intake, I think I drink 4 to 5 glasses only since I had read that there is a lot of water content in what we eat. Thanks again.

Laura
laura_delao

Postby chef16 » Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:44 pm

8/07/20202 262#
8/14/20202 259#
Lost 3 more pounds

I do good on 1,2,3,4,6 ,8 and 9 most of the time.
5 and 7 not so good all the time.
10 have not even started yet. I go back to work next week and this will change because my job is a lot of walking and lifting. I hope the change in my weigh is enough to help me. If not I may have to consider retiring or part time .
The peanut butter and bread thing shows up when I am not feeling satisfied with what I have ate. I feel I eat plenty of starch but maybe I don't eat enough green vegs and beans. I have tried not to over eat ,but I feel I eat enough. It may be finding the right balance of foods. Still loosing so I am not going to over think it.
Doreen
chef16

PreviousNext

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program