Are Jeff’s Bean Burgers MWL Compliant?

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Are Jeff’s Bean Burgers MWL Compliant?

Postby taymariekay » Sun May 17, 2020 6:45 pm

I absolutely love Jeff’s burgers and eat them everyday. Then today I had the realization that they might not be MWL compliant because of the rolled oats not being cooked! But I tried to make them without and it didn’t work so much.

Are they okay to eat on MWL or do I need to find another recipe?

:-)
taymariekay

Re: Are Jeff’s Bean Burgers MWL Compliant?

Postby courtneywagasky » Tue May 19, 2020 5:45 am

Are they okay to eat on MWL or do I need to find another recipe?

Hey taymariekay! I would say that those burgers aren't compliant for MWL but they are compliant for Starch Solution. Grains should always be cooked because then they have fewer calories per pound. I honestly think you could make the mixture, cook it, and then crumble it over veggies or a salad! That sounds good to me.
courtneywagasky

Postby VeggieSue » Tue May 19, 2020 6:27 am

I would say that those burgers aren't compliant for MWL but they are compliant for Starch Solution.

The burgers are just fine for MWLP as long as you don't eat them on bread but as a patty on a plate, or just use things like romaine lettuce leaves or "potato toast" to hold them.

All the individual ingredients - beans, tomato, rice, oats, and spices, even the one made with cooked sweet potatoes - are all safe for MWLP.
VeggieSue

Postby Mark Cooper » Tue May 19, 2020 9:33 am

It is correct to observe that dry rolled oats (without further cooking) are ~1700 calories / lb. However, when combined with all the other ingredients as directed in the recipe for Jeff's Fast Food Burgers, the overall calorie density for the burgers as a whole measures out to ~642 calories / lb (before cooking); consequently, when prepared and cooked according to Jeff's recipe and consumed as directed in the MWL 10-Point Checklist (comprising the whole or a part of the starch component of the 50/50 plate) should be acceptable for MWL. I would note that depending on how many burgers one might eat in a given day (1 burger? 2? the entire batch?) we should note that Dr. McDougall recommends that we keep our consumption of beans to 1 cup / day on average (so probably not a problem, unless one were to be consistently eating a whole batch of burgers each day over a lengthy duration of time).
Mark Cooper

Postby JeffN » Tue May 19, 2020 11:42 am

Veggie Sue and Mark are correct.

Yes, there are some rolled oats in the recipe but if you follow the recipe, the final product is low calorie density and low in fat and high in fiber/calorie and high in satiety, all of which matter in regard to MWL.

You can see all the numbers here..

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=56030#p594379

If you were concerned, you can also lower the CD of the recipe by using less (or no) oats and more starch and/or adding in some non-starchy vegetables to the recipe.

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby josietheschnauzer » Thu May 21, 2020 3:48 am

I love the burgers and make them for my senior citizen (91 years old) friend. He loves them and eats one or maybe two a day. He is an inspiration. He was diagnosed with kidney problems at age 89 and was given a diet sheet from the doctor that was "low protein" but basically whole foods plant based. I looked at the sheet and told him; "now you can eat the way I do". He changed immediately and LOST 20 POUNDS! His doctor plus his cardiologist were IMPRESSED and AMAZED. I don't think they made over him enough. With the drastic number changes (his kidneys are for all practical purposes "Normal", I think they should make him a poster child for success!
josietheschnauzer

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program