April 2020 McDougall MWL Weigh-In Thread

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: April 2020 McDougall MWL Weigh-In Thread

Postby Tian-De » Fri Apr 24, 2020 11:15 am

April 1st Starting Weight: 170 lbs
Last Friday: 164.4 lbs
Today: 162.6. lbs
Change: -1.8 lbs

Thanks for running this group Mark. It's been a big help. I have two questions about things I've noticed though using Cronometer.

Questions:
~ Is it alright to include a tsp or two of flax everyday for omegas? I find the fat content is less than a bowl of oatmeal, but has a lot of omega-3s which I'm not really getting elsewhere.
~ In this program is the notion not to restrict calories, but rather restrict calorically-dense foods and eat as much as one feels like? I'm wondering if my thoughts about caloric restriction is causing cravings and slightly unnatural eating. Using cronometer I think is definitely interfering with me a bit, but it's hard to let it go. It feels like a safety blanket or something. I know some McDougallers, like Andrew "Spudfit" Taylor, talk about eating when-ever they feel like it, even if they aren't really hungry. Is that alright as long as we are following the 10 steps?

10 Guidelines:

1. :thumbsup: Getting more used to starting each meal with fruit or salad.
2. :thumbsup: The 50/50 plate is becoming more automatic and fruit for dessert is becoming a no-brainer
3. :thumbsup: Still maybe a bit more salt than I'd like, but salt and sugar are generally not something I've been adding.
4. :thumbsup: Good! Though the lowered caloric intake did create some intense cravings for things I haven't eaten in years, like roast beef and fried pork chops. I know deep down, however, that I would feel awful in so many ways if I went down that road.
5. :thumbsup: :thumbsdown: :?: I had a some dried tofu last night, but other than that, not much fatty plant food at all. :?: :?: :?: Is it a problem to add a tsp or two of ground flax everyday since we aren't getting any omega-3s. I get omega-6s through oatmeal and chickpeas quite easily, but almost nothing in terms of omega-3s.
6. :thumbsup: :thumbsdown: If memory serves me right, I only had a bit of oil during two meals this past week, and those were meals others made. I usually cook for myself and it isn't an issue, but it's hard to require other people to cook without oil.
7. :thumbsup: Didn't have any processed foods this week aside from some Soba Noodles with lots of veggies.
8. :thumbsup: :thumbsdown: Had a cup of soy milk once this week, but other than that doing good in this regard.
9. :thumbsdown: I need to stop using cronometer because I feel it's getting in the way of eating when I'm hungry or makes me feel like I need to eat more when I see my breakfast was low in calories. I know the macros and micros are perfect if I follow the 10 steps (and include b12 in some form and a bit of flax seed)
10. :thumbsup: Doing well with running, walking, or biking everyday.

11*. :thumbsup: I really like the simplicity of following the ten steps above and not feeling the need to look outside of this framework. After running everything through cronometer this week, I was shocked at how complete this diet was. Usually about a 600-800 calorie deficit everyday with 95% of the micronutrient targets met.

Personal thought... did the Irish worry about micros and macros when they ate basically nothing but potatoes for a couple hundred years? ... sigh...
世界需要真、善、忍
The World Needs Truthfulness, Compassion, and Tolerance
Tian-De

Postby wstokes » Fri Apr 24, 2020 11:25 am

Down .8
Is this it forApril?
I plan to work on consistently scoring myself for the 10 points in the coming weeks.
wstokes

Postby Noella » Fri Apr 24, 2020 12:52 pm

Hi Mark and all April MWL participants,

I hope everyone had a great week! I appreciated using the MWL checklist to guide my behaviours this week. :nod: I’m really pleased with my weight loss: I have lost 48 pounds since starting the McDougall diet on Dec, 29th, 2019. My weight change this week is -3 lbs.

I am grateful to Dr. McDougall for providing his courses, website, books, and, of course, this MWL group. Thank you so much, Mark, for your leadership and thank you, everyone, for sharing your experiences.

This week I successfully:
;-) Started meals with soup/salad/fruit.
;-) Balanced starchy with non-starchy. Ate fruit for dessert.
;-) Eliminated sugars. Reduced salt.
;-) Eliminated animal foods.
;-) Eliminated high fat plant foods.
;-) Eliminated added oil.
;-) Eliminated flour products.
;-) Didn’t drink calories.
;-) Ate when hungry. Didn’t starve or stuff myself.
:duh: Tried to avoid being sedentary, but, unfortunately, when I used my cross country ski exercise machine for the third time, I pushed too hard and couldn’t exercise at all for the rest of the week due to knee pain. I plan to exercise more carefully this week.

I hope everyone feels inspired to do their best to follow the checklist this week!

Best regards,
Noella

Last edited by Noella on Fri Apr 24, 2020 7:24 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Noella

Postby chaz01 » Fri Apr 24, 2020 1:17 pm

Weight Change
Week: -3.6 lbs
April: -12.8 lbs
Year: -54.8 lbs

I had a solid week, both diet and exercise wise, and I think I covered all the 10 guidelines pretty well this week.

With spring and warmer weather coming up, I'm really looking forward to the spring vegetable season. I've already signed up for my CSA (local organic farm that sells vegetables on a subscription basis), and hoping that we start getting our first couple deliveries in May. The combination of fresh vegetables (combined with some healthy starches) and warmer weather for getting outside to exercise makes for a conducive environment to continue the progress I've made in the weeks ahead.

Stay safe everyone,

Chuck
chaz01

Postby christianedreams » Fri Apr 24, 2020 1:41 pm

Weight change +/- in lbs: 0
Points from the MWL Checklist where I succeeded this week: all
Points from the MWL Checklist that need greater attention:
General impressions & observations / resources to share / sources of excitement / requests for input & support:

I was neutral in the face of my weight being exactly the same as last week. I've had some wins that have nothing to do with the scale that I'm celebrating in their own right. I stopped logging my meals, and have resorted to a once a week check in on cronometer only to monitor nutrient targets. This has made me relax greatly and am enjoying "trusting the process". I also have upped my activity level and have been enjoying the new addition to my routine, especially now that I've started studying for the CPA exam and it has also increased my level of sedentary inactivity as I'm stuck glued to my screen for hours on end. It has allowed me to really see exercise as critical rather than how I previously viewed it as optional. I've gotten "off the salt" for the first time in my life and have been really enjoying the accomplishment. It was the last in my salt, sugar, and (added) fat trifecta that I was eager to check off my list, already having eliminated the other two. So, I'm gonna take my wins, enjoy the process, and just keep on trucking!
christianedreams

Postby moonlight » Fri Apr 24, 2020 2:02 pm

Weight change +/- in lbs 0 change in weight

Points from the MWL Checklist where I succeeded this week
I continue to eliminate animal foods and all forms of oil from my diet. I eat the 50/50 ratio for almost every meal. This week I have really done well not eating high fat plant food, such as nuts. Only one night I had a very small serving. I am getting a ton of physical exercise doing landscaping and gardening activities.
Points from the MWL Checklist that need greater attention
I haven't given up bread yet. I ate bread probably 4-5 times this week. It is no oil bread. Rye bread or sourdough. I feel like I'm about to kick the habit of the sourdough bread. And, maybe the rye bread, too. Also, I need to increase the salad or sop before my meals. I plan to focus on these two things this week.

General impressions & observations / resources to share / sources of excitement / requests for input & support
I'm surprised I didn't show a weight loss. I feel thinner and my clothes fit looser. I wonder if I may be shifting from fat to lean muscle with my landscaping chores. I'm not feeling anxious about this because I feel like I'm mostly on plan. I don't have that out-of-control feeling I've had before. I guess I'm hoping I'll lose weight even if I do eat a little bread but really, I know I need to cut it out until I drop the rest of my excess weight. The information about people with excess weight having a harder time with COVID-19 is on my mind and is actually helping me stay as compliant as I am. Hopefully, I can ramp up my compliance a little more this next week.

I want to wish everyone a good week. I hope you all are able to stay safe and healthy. Wash your hands frequently, keep a 6 ft. distance and wear a mask when you are out in public. Take care. :)
moonlight

Postby josietheschnauzer » Fri Apr 24, 2020 2:33 pm

Hello everyone, I did not lose any weight this week, but I didn't gain anything either! I am thrilled with my weight loss so far--9.6 pounds since April 1 and over 80 pounds since I started Dr. McDougall in 2012. I have never weighed this little in my memory. I am sticking to the 10 points like glue. My body is adjusting, I am sure to the shock of this new lower weight.

I am very pleased with no. 2. I am eating lots of greens, well lots of greens for me! I eat kale two or three times a day with broccoli or spinach with my breakfast oatmeal. Whoever said oatmeal must be sweet?! I do not skimp on the starches.

I am working on no. 9 and am waiting 20 or so minutes after I eat a reasonable amount of food. I am also taking a brief walk with the dog after every meal.

I will work on no. 3 a little more. I quit using the salt shaker and cook without salt. However, in Feb. I started having broth made with the stuff that comes in jars-- 1 teaspoon to a cup of boiling water. It helped me to delay my hunger but the jarred junk has too much sodium. So I must stop it.

I am also drinking too much coffee. Thank you!
josietheschnauzer

Postby Mark Cooper » Fri Apr 24, 2020 3:11 pm

carolw - I'm sorry to hear you have an injured foot, and I hope your recovery is smooth and easy. I applaud your attitude and mindset, focusing on all the delicious foods that adhere to the MWL principles and how abundant and enjoyable they can be. It's fantastic that you have no bothersome cravings, and that Dr. McDougall's plan has helped you find some answers to long-standing questions. :D

Daniel35 - Challenging weeks happen and "slip-ups" and recovery are part of the learning process. Take a moment to "debrief" yourself - what sent this week in the wrong direction, and are there things you could do in the future to prevent that situation from recurring? It is GREAT that you felt so able to turn things around and get back on track! We all have those "losses" sometimes, and if we can learn something useful from them, they become future "wins."

tinathescreamer - Kudos! It sounds like keeping things simple has been working for you, and that your palate has started to adjust to reduced salt - as you note, it seems to me one of the significant things that drive some of the desire for "cheesy" flavors is actually saltiness. For your continued focus on eliminating those calorie dense foods, one possible idea could be to commit to always turn to an adherent meal before deciding to reach for those dense foods.

Abe - Awesome! Focusing on the important behaviors consistently over time always delivers the results eventually!

Veganjo - How would you assess your adherence to the MWL 10-Point Checklist for the week?

courtneywagasky - Abandoning the counting of calories seems like a welcome step! When we are eating and behaving in a way that adheres strictly to the MWL guidelines, calorie counting is useless at best, and as you note, often counterproductive. (It is, of course, adherence to the MWL 10-Point Checklist that makes us able to eat ad libitum and achieve a healthy weight, so attention to behaviors and level of adherence is key). I would encourage you to include starch in all your meals, whatever the time of day. Sorry to hear the weather hasn't been cooperating with you, but it sounds like you are doing a great job keeping active, nevertheless!

NomeOslo - Feeling energetic & "good inside and out" seems to me to be among the BEST "non-scale victories!" Crafting a way of life that is sustainable over the duration is indeed the real goal. :thumbsup:

medamoso - Hi, Melissa! A very warm welcome back to you, if I remember correctly I was participating in that same weigh-in thread back in October 2018! I'm glad now felt like the right time to jump in, and I imagine that journal will serve you well.

NateKruse - It sounds like you are figuring out a simple menu and routine that work for you, despite the pandemic. Canned vegetables (that are not no-salt added) do tend to have quite a lot of salt, and I'm not aware of any really great solution, but you could try rinsing the vegetables in a strainer with water - it won't get rid of all the salt, but I don't think it could hurt.

goal140 - Congratulations on that significant loss! Adherence delivers results. If you'll permit me to answer your question ("am I eating enough?") with a question of my own - are you eating whenever you are hungry, until you are comfortably full?

Mark165 - It is thrilling to be able to practice this way of eating without difficulty, isn't it? You sound like you had a really excellent week filled with rewarding activities. Please note that oat bran is not recommended for MWL, since it is not a minimally-processed, intact whole grain; oatmeal and steel-cut oats are excellent choices. I LOVE that interview with Nathan Pritikin! The Lost Lectures from Nathan Pritikin are a great listen, as well.

rlechols - A BIG congratulations for all your progress this year (and in 2019)! Way to go, Rachel! I'm sure "feeling like a totally different person" is an amazing feeling, but of course you did the work to make this "version of you" emerge - pat yourself on the back!

SaraC9 - I'm sorry your week felt so rough, I can remember what those long nights with a restless little one were like. As you get back on track eliminating those problematic foods, concentrate on satisfying your hunger with MWL adherent starches; all any of us can do is the best we are able under our own circumstances. Enjoy that big grocery delivery!

kirstykay - That is indeed a thrilling number! And, it is your perseverance in adhering to the MWL guidelines through those weeks when the scale was barely moving that delivered that number - great job! Those "hikes-to-be" sound fabulous, and I can well imagine how much you are looking forward to them.

Debs Dalton - I'm glad you are pleased with how your week turned out! When you can find the time, perhaps take a few moments to assess what preceded or led to those off-plan days - is there anything that could help you avoid that in the future? I wish you the best in completing all that work, and for an excellent week to come.

Miss Kim - Way to go! 100% adherence! I can totally relate to what you describe about transitioning away from that panic surrounding hunger - for me that new calm feeling was evidence that I had finally put in a sufficient period of practice and adherence, and "proved to myself" that I finally understood how to effectively practice this way of eating in a wide variety of different circumstances. I'm glad your husband is settling in at home, and his decision to join you in this way of eating is exciting news.

jasonrhoads1 - Fantastic! You will be a PRO at managing those weekend visits with "bring-along" food before you know it! Way to go making exercise into an activity you can share with your children, how wonderful!

Tian-De - Congrats on your continued progress! I very much agree that habitually tracking one's daily meals in Cronometer is not particularly useful, and can very easily become counterproductive and damaging. The fundamental underlying principle of MWL is calorie density, as Jeff outlines in this post. Perhaps the best explanation of that principle is Jeff's video presentation - Calorie Density: How To Eat More, Weigh Less and Live Longer. By following the MWL 10-Point Checklist, we are establishing an overall dietary pattern that is minimally processed, starch-based, low in fat, low in calorie density and low in added sugars and salt. That pattern of behavior allows us to eat whenever we are hungry, until comfortably full, while attaining a healthy weight. Keep in mind that it is essentially impossible to accurately count calories, and restriction almost always leads to overcompensation with calorie dense foods at some point. If you are strictly adhering to the principles, and you aren't stuffing yourself, I would not worry. In regard to your question about flaxseed and omegas, the MWL 10-Point Checklist directs us to
5) Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy).
Obviously, we all have to decide for ourselves what we are willing to do and able to do in a way that we can feel comfortable and confident. Reviewing Jeff's discussion of Omega 3, will likely prove helpful. My earlier comments on flaxseed are in this post, replying to Mike G. If you are strictly following the MWL 10-Point Checklist, it seems to me relatively unlikely that this would be a concern; if adherence is less than ideal, then I would direct my energy at improving my adherence to the principles. Just to provide a frame of reference, nearly all plant foods provide some ALA, and if you are consuming adequate calories and maintaining the MWL dietary pattern you may be getting more Omega 3 than you realize. All that being said, if a teaspoon or two of ground flaxseed will reduce your worry, and make you more able to otherwise adhere to the MWL guidelines, you are, of course, able to make your own decision. Just recognize that nuts and seeds are not recommended by the checklist.

wstokes - Kudos! This is the final weigh-in for April, but I'll post a new thread for May on Monday, so everyone who would like will be able to continue. I think you will find that consistent evaluation with the MWL 10-Point Checklist to be of benefit. :D

Noella - What a great week, and congratulations on all you have achieved since December! Like you, I am VERY grateful to Dr. McDougall and Jeff Novick for providing so many valuable free resources, and for the gift of all the time and effort they invest in this discussion board. I'm sorry to hear about that knee injury, and glad that you were able to recover with some rest - I think you are wise to take care and not do too much too soon moving forward.

chaz01 - Congrats on another nice loss and a solid seeming week, Chuck! I'm also DEFINITELY looking forward to the onset of spring! We subscribe to our local CSA, but the first share delivery isn't until June; I can hardly wait. Enjoy your fresh veg, and getting outside in what will hopefully be lovely weather.

christianedreams - Let me applaud those great and important wins! I totally agree that when your are strictly following the checklist, even when the results don't immediately appear on the scale, the best approach is to enjoy the process and keep on trucking. Way to go!

Moonlight - I'm so glad to hear you aren't feeling anxious or out-of-control, and that you've made progress in adhering more strictly to the MWL guidelines. Clothing feeling looser is such a wonderful sensation! As you continue to "ramp up" your level of adherence, I imagine the results of those efforts will start to show up on the scale. Maybe a nice big helping of brown rice would be an apt replacement for the calorie-dense bread?

josietheschnauzer - Sounds like you had a really great week (and month)! "Sticking to the 10 points like glue," I love that! It is definitely wise to be careful of those high salt packaged vegetable broths. I love savory oats!
Mark Cooper

Postby Tian-De » Fri Apr 24, 2020 4:26 pm

Hi Mark,

Thanks so much for the detailed response! I read the posts you listed and tried what you said about deleting the flax from my Cronometer logs this week to see what it was like. It actually wasn't terrible. I guess that's the double-edged nature of tools like cronometer: they can reveal a lot or good things, but also nurture an unnatural perfectionist, nit-picky mentality.
世界需要真、善、忍
The World Needs Truthfulness, Compassion, and Tolerance
Tian-De

Postby moonlight » Fri Apr 24, 2020 5:24 pm

Mark Cooper wrote:Moonlight - I'm so glad to hear you aren't feeling anxious or out-of-control, and that you've made progress in adhering more strictly to the MWL guidelines. Clothing feeling looser is such a wonderful sensation! As you continue to "ramp up" your level of adherence, I imagine the results of those efforts will start to show up on the scale. Maybe a nice big helping of brown rice would be an apt replacement for the calorie-dense bread?

So funny. For the last three days I have been doing just that. Substituting the bread with brown rice. It really does satisfy me for a longer time. Thanks, Mark!! Great minds think alike. :)
moonlight

Postby Judy_Bell » Fri Apr 24, 2020 5:55 pm

Wow, Super frustrating, I wrote a whole post, and it disappeared.
Down 2.5 pounds.
This post will be much briefer.
Succeeded on all points except #10, exercise. Still haven't started moving enough.
I hope everybody is having success (and does better than I did at posting :mad: )
Judy_Bell

Postby VGuzman » Fri Apr 24, 2020 7:07 pm

Hi all,

weight change - 1.8 lbs.
this week's weight: 112.8 lbs. (4/24/2020)
last week's weight: 114.6 lbs. (4/17/2020)
starting weight: 125.2 lbs. (1/3/2020)

After multiple weeks of staying at about the same weight I finally had a weight loss. This week I was actually able to follow all the points pretty closely, and no over eating this week. I think what was helpful is that I was more physically active this week. I spent a lot of time working in the yard along with walking everyday. I also pulled out Dr. McDougall's book, "The McDougall Program For Maximum Weight Loss", and read that he suggested to eat the fruits uncooked. I had been eating cooked plantains almost everyday and just eliminated them and ate only fresh uncooked fruit this week. I also have discovered that freezing the extra strawberries that I got at the farmers' market make a wonderful dessert. I just wash the strawberries, drain dry them, cut them in half, place them on a cookie sheet to freeze, and then transfer the frozen berries to a container to store in the freezer. To eat them I just let them partially thaw.

I hope everyone has a good week.
Warmest regards and good health to all,
Vicki
VGuzman

Postby Hope410 » Fri Apr 24, 2020 11:50 pm

Weight change this week: -2.00 lbs

Points where I succeeded were #2-#9 at 100% again this week which feels very good.

Points that still need improvement and better compliance are#1 and #3, but I did have better success than last week in both areas.

Pre-loading my meals was up to 80%. I missed my goal each meal when I did not have a soup or salad prepped. Goal is for 100% preparation this next week.

I did meet my exercise goal of walking 4 days. Walked 3 days for 30 minutes and 1 day for 20 minutes. Goal for next week is walk 5 days for 30 minutes and do 1 yoga session.

Just a quick question on the soup before a meal. Is it correct that it can be either a straight vegetable soup or it may also be vegetable soup with some type of starch and/or beans?

Thanks and everyone have a great week.
Hope410

Postby maja » Sat Apr 25, 2020 2:43 am

So my weight stayed the same.
I'm at a point where I have been many times before and I'm losing my motivation because I don't lose the weight and having more difficulties to stay on track. I realised I let some things slack like the soup or salade before the meals and the excercise.
Last week I had more hunger in the evenings and that's giving difficulties to not give in to cravings.
So for the coming week I'want to eat more during the day. I have a tendency to eat just two meals a day but maybe it is better to spread more and see what that's going to do.
Beside that I'm going to reintegrate the soup or salde before dinners and have my daily excercise.
A friend of mine is helping people to transition to a WFPB way of living and he is going to support me to help me further just like you guys. This support helps me to stay honnest and helps me to motivate me. Because I think if I can work on the habits I want to change, it's going to show the effects on the weight.
So the plan and motivation for the coming week is clear!
maja

Postby Rufus_519 » Sat Apr 25, 2020 6:19 am

Current weight: 229.0
Change: -2.4

I did well on all MWL points. The game-changer for me this week was eliminating ALL bread. It was a bit of an experiment to see if the whole wheat bread is really problematic. News Flash: It really is. I can't say that I missed it as much as I thought I would.
Rufus_519

PreviousNext

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program