April 2020 McDougall MWL Weigh-In Thread

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: April 2020 McDougall MWL Weigh-In Thread

Postby rebhale » Sat Apr 25, 2020 7:32 am

4/24/2020
Starting weight 250 pounds (9/2019)
4/3/20 242 pounds
4/10/20 240.5 pounds
4/17/20 240 pounds
4/24/20 236.5 pounds
Weight loss since starting April MWL challenge: 5.5 pounds
Total weight loss since starting McDougall diet: 13.5 pounds

Lost 3.5 pound this week!

10 point checklist:

1. Start each meal with a soup or salad - 100% I have been having soup or salad before lunch and dinner.

2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches – 100%

3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. I just add a little salt and pepper to potatoes or sweet potatoes, no soy sauce or Bragg’s Liquid Aminos

4) Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). 100% Done!

5) Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). 100%

6) Eliminate any added oil. Done except for 2 teaspoons of creamer for my coffee.

7) Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e. bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. This is still my hardest thing to deal with. This week had 12 crackers from my husband’s stash

8 ) Don’t drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). Only drank coffee (2 cups/day), water, flavored water and tea

9) Eat whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. I didn’t starve myself but need to reach for healthier snacks.

10) Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). Slowly working on increasing my movement each day. This is still very hard for me as my legs are weakened from a fall a couple of years ago that left me wheelchair bound for several months. Getting the weight off will make it easier I’m sure. I did work in the yard a couple of days this week.
rebhale

Postby josietheschnauzer » Sat Apr 25, 2020 8:45 am

Thank you, Mark, Goose, and all the participants. This weigh in has been very helpful for me, and I want to continue in May. So interesting how the accountability to report once a week has encouraged me to keep on trucking. Next weekend I am participating in a free, 42 by 42, three day to complete run.....the idea was posted on facebook by someone in Australia. Tons of people around the world got into the spirit. 42.2 is a marathon (26.2 miles) in metric but this is over three days or rather you complete it in 42 hours, so it is not so strenuous! Everyone just runs the distance wherever they live and teams are also encouraged--so you can split up the 42. So fun, how Corona is inspiring people to make lemonade out of lemons. Who knows, we may have lots of virtual events in the future to get us out the door to exercise at our own pace. And, of course, we also are a very productive :D virtual group here at MWL! So encouraging!
josietheschnauzer

Postby JaBee » Sat Apr 25, 2020 9:52 am

Down 2.6
Resumed by returning to simple basic meals
Adhered to all 10 points
Current weight 188.1; next goal 180; down 25.5 since 1/1/2020
JaBee

Postby julija_s » Sat Apr 25, 2020 10:39 am

Hi,

This week:
Weight change -0.7 lbs
SW: 189.5
CW: 184.3

This week was not bad. I ate my veggies, starches and some fruit, didn't consume any oil, got a decent amount of exercise. My resting heart rate went down from 71 to 70 bpm. I really like it. I added some squats and push-up off the wall to my usual treadmill walks. Today the weather is beautiful here (yesterday we had some snowflakes) so I am looking forward to a nice bike ride.

Problems are still non-compliant foods. I had a tofu scramble and a few other things. The scramble I made for my toddler and he didn't eat it. It was really pity just to throw it away - it was a yummy dish with peppers and mushrooms, no oil. And, of course, my husband keeps eating pizzas and other stuff. I can't escape this. And I have only so much of will power. I am trying to eat something healthy to fight the cravings. It partially helps, but only partially.

In general, I am very glad to participate in a weigh-in. Thank you everyone who is posting and Mark for keeping us motivated!

Take care!
julija_s

Postby Belana » Sat Apr 25, 2020 10:59 am

Weight 113.5.
Don't think I lost any weight.
Gonna have to take it up to the next level of intensity I guess. :?
Belana

Postby naswaffo » Sat Apr 25, 2020 11:11 am

I am pleased to report a 0.8 pound loss this week with a total of 1.8 pounds this month. I am pleased to have made progress three weeks in a row, and I am doing well with all 10 points. One change I made this week was to eat smaller meals with a couple of small snacks in between. This has helped the "gastrointestinal upset" (uh-hum) I mentioned last week.

Thanks Mark for your encouragement and cheer leading!

Celebrating! :-D
Natalie
naswaffo

Postby SJT » Sat Apr 25, 2020 11:24 am

Weight change + .5 lbs this week. Down 2.4 overall.
Got tired of the longevity soup and stopped following guidelines for a few days. Then I watched Jeff Novick's 2 hour demonstration of "fast food" and got reenergized. Have made his pasta primavera and curry burgers and both were great. I plan on staying with it this week.
SJT

Postby goal140 » Sat Apr 25, 2020 11:40 am

Hi Mark,
Am I eating when I’m hungry? It’s hard for me to distinguish hunger for appetite. Many days I don’t feel hungry until noon and I will eat to the point that I am comfortably full. But it is hard for me to eat within that 6 hour window. I think I remember Dr McDougall saying that hunger starts in the mouth, not the stomach. I haven’t figured that one out yet! A couple of days ago, I finished up a 3 mile walk and my stomach was growling, so I fed it and the growling stopped. What was the growling, if not hunger?
goal140

Postby AnnieBx » Sat Apr 25, 2020 11:59 am

Another good week:-)

Weight loss/Gain: .75lb...not much but heading in the right direction
Things that went well: Meal planning and pre-prep
Not so good: same as always eating too quickly and eating when I'm not really hungry
General obs: I love vegetables and potatoes of course but I get a LOT, no make that practically permanent, bloating & gas. Not to worry now though as I'm working from home;-) I've cut down on potatoes cooked in airfryer with no oil after a little weigh in experiment on just over a pound of potatoes. When they came out of the airfryer they were 6 oz lighter - all that great water.

Is there a May version of this MWL? I'd love to continue as I still could lose 10lbs. That reminds me of a little chewing gum packet I have with these words on it: 10lbs to lose, that's 15lbs to go!
AnnieBx

Postby Mark Cooper » Sat Apr 25, 2020 1:04 pm

Tian-De - I'm glad you found those posts to be of value. It seems to me that a couple teaspoons of flaxseed aren't going to "make or break" a broader dietary pattern that lines up with the guidelines; what is important, I think, is attending to the mindset of concentrating on the core principles and ongoing patterns of behavior that really make a difference, rather than getting bogged down with "nit-picking." I totally agree with your observation that the granular level of detail into which tools like Cronometer ostensibly provide a window is, at best, of doubtful advantage. I think some of us, myself included, are particularly susceptible to getting lost chasing that obsessive level of perfectionism, which is why I try to make a point of surfacing some of the disadvantages of that perspective.

moonlight - :lol: JINX! Great minds think alike, indeed. :D

Judy_Bell - My goodness, I can imagine the frustration that vanishing post inspires! 9/10 for the week is an excellent achievement, and clearly the scale is testifying to that. Is there a particular form of movement you enjoy? I've been really savoring my daily walks.

VGuzman - That sounds like a really great week, Vicki! Cooked plantains are similar to starches in terms of calorie density, so that change makes sense. Great tip about freezing strawberries!

Hope410 - Way to go! Here is the rundown on soup -
JeffN wrote:Practical Tips on Soup
Soups can work in many ways, the same as you may be using raw veggies and/or salads in applying the principles of calorie density. Here are 3 simple tips:

1 – Soups can be an effective pre-load to a meal:

Soups filled (mostly or entirely) with non-starchy vegetables can reduce the overall calorie density of a meal if consumed before the meal as a “pre-load.”
Studies have shown that salad pre-loads reduced the overall calorie density for the meal by 7% for a smaller salad and 12% for a larger one (5), while soup preloads lowered the overall calorie density of the meal by 20% (4).

2 – Soups can lower overall calorie density of the meal:

To help lower the calorie density of a meal, I recommend that up to 50% of your meal (by visual volume) be non-starchy vegetables. Soups can be effectively used for this strategy. For example, have a bowl of vegetable soup with a plate or rice and beans.

3 – Soups can be the main meal:

Soups can also be the main meal. If they are main meals, make sure you make them hearty and also include plenty of starches (legumes, pulses, intact whole grains, starchy vegetables) in the soup.
Jeff's full article is here, including references to the relevant studies and journal articles.

maja -
maja wrote:Because I think if I can work on the habits I want to change, it's going to show the effects on the weight.
So the plan and motivation for the coming week is clear!
I totally agree, and I think the plan you've mapped out for the week to come is solid and sensible! I can imagine why feeling "stalled" had your motivation waning somewhat this week, but if you can, try to keep in mind that effectively and consistently attending to the behaviors outlined in the MWL 10-Point Checklist will ultimately deliver the results you are seeking.

Rufus_519 - 10/10 is awesome! Thank you for sharing the results of your "game-changing experiment," it feels so rewarding to see principles play-out in practice. :D

rebhale - What a great week, capped off with that invigorating weigh-in result! I've noticed that crackers can be a really troublesome food for some participants - not only are they calorie dense, but typically quite salty, as well - that seems to be a formula for the Pleasure Trap for many of us. Slowly and carefully increasing your daily level of activity seems like a wise way to proceed, you certainly wouldn't want to overdo things and injure yourself. Yard work sounds like an especially productive way to get some physical movement!

josietheschnauzer - I'm delighted to know you've found the group to be of benefit! That "virtual" group run sounds fun - what a great idea for inspiring people all over to make time to get some exercise.

JaBee - Back to basics, 10/10, and encouraging feedback from the scale! Fantastic!

julija_s - That sounds like good progress for the week! Not being in a situation where it is possible to completely remove those craving-inducing foods from the environment can be a real challenge, I think that idea to concentrate on satisfying your hunger with adherent foods makes sense; the more you can refrain from indulging those cravings for calorie dense foods, the more likely they are to subside. Just keep doing the best you can, and aim for continued improvement when 100% isn't feeling attainable.

Belana - Your intuition that more attention and stricter adherence may be necessary seems reasonable. Are there particular areas of the MWL 10-Point Checklist that have been especially challenging for you?

naswaffo - Congratulations on a great week & month of progress, Natalie! I'm glad to hear your distressed stomach has been more manageable with that adjustment - I'm sure that was a welcome development.

SJT - Fast Food: The Basics is amazing, right? Such a great resource to have freely available right now. I'm glad you found that renewed energy - the guidelines work, when we consistently put them into practice in our daily lives. Keep at it! :D

goal140 - I think you'll find that you will start to become more attuned to your own sensations of hunger as you continue to move forward. From my own perspective, as long as I'm strictly adhering to the checklist, I typically err on the side of eating if the idea of a meal feels appealing to me, and I'm not feeling stuffed. Depending on previous eating patterns and habits, it seems like it does take some time to become sensitive to the ups and downs of one's appetite, but we shouldn't have to overthink it or be afraid to eat if we feel the urge (assuming that urge isn't a craving for problematic foods).

AnnieBx - Heading in the right direction, and down 3 lbs so far this month, I believe! :thumbsup: I think you will discover, as you continue to follow the guidelines and turn the MWL behaviors into habits, eating more slowly and more in response to hunger will start to feel easier. In regard to the gas and bloating, if you haven't already reviewed this post from Jeff on the topic, it is definitely worth a look, both for putting things in perspective and some practical tips to try. There will be a MWL group for May, the thread will go up on Monday and weigh-in will be on Friday, May 1.
Mark Cooper

Re: Weigh-In Report Compilation - April 24, 2020

Postby Mark Cooper » Sat Apr 25, 2020 1:05 pm

By my count, 36 participants reported for our fourth and final April 2020 MWL weigh-in! If I neglected to include anyone, or you notice an error in the tally, please let me know (via PM so we can keep the thread as tidy as possible, or in a post here if you cannot PM).

Here are the results for the last Friday in April:

Week ending 4/24/2020: 36 participants reported a total loss of 52.35 pounds
--------------------------------------------------
Veganjo +2.00
Daniel35 +1.40
SJT +0.50
Total gains: 3.90
NO CHANGE / MAINTAIN / STARTING OUT
Belana 0.00
Christianedreams 0.00
Josietheschnauzer 0.00
Maja 0.00
Moonlight 0.00
SaraC9 0.00
Carolw -0.50
Julija_s -0.70
AnnieBx -0.75
Naswaffo -0.80
NomeOslo -0.80
Wstokes -0.80
Debs Dalton -1.00
Rlechols -1.00
Courtneywagasky -1.20
Tinathescreamer -1.70
Tian-De -1.80
VGuzman -1.80
Hope410 -2.00
Mark165 -2.00
NateKruse -2.00
Rufus_519 -2.40
Judy_Bell -2.50
JaBee -2.60
Kirstykay -2.60
Abe -2.80
Jasonrhoads1 -2.80
Miss Kim -3.00
Noella -3.00
Rebhale -3.50
Chaz01 -3.60
Goal140 -4.20
Medamoso -4.40
Total losses: -56.25
Cumulative group loss for April 2020: 218.00 pounds
Average loss for fourth week of April 2020: 1.45 pounds
Cumulative group loss for January 2020: 384.15 pounds
Cumulative group loss for February 2020: 96.60 pounds
Cumulative group loss for March 2020: 60.10 pounds

Next Weigh-In is on Friday, May 1, 2020, in a new thread for the May 2020 MWL Group.

Thank you so much to everyone who participated in the April MWL group and made this month's thread such a vibrant and supportive environment! I'm so impressed with the way you all have responded to the current public health (and economic) crisis by deciding to get serious about changing your lifestyles for the better! Although the daily news may inspire fear and worry, we can also be fierce and ferocious in our effort to build a life that supports our current and long term health and welfare. I cannot think of a more valuable and important task, and I hope everyone feels rightfully proud of their efforts. Keep putting in the work building that health-supporting pattern of behavior!

During the month of April the participants in this group cumulatively lost 218 pounds! That is like a whole person, or 2 adult octopuses, or about half as much as the heart of a Blue Whale!

I will post a new thread for our May 2020 MWL Weigh-In Group on Monday, and I hope to see you all there! :D

Take care & be well!
Mark Cooper

Postby lmggallagher » Sat Apr 25, 2020 1:06 pm

Oops hope I'm not too late - time flew today.

Down 1 lb.

Did well on all the steps but exercise is still needed.

Hope everyone is doing well!

lmggallagher

Postby lmggallagher » Sat Apr 25, 2020 1:08 pm

I was too late but proves Mark is perfect on his timing for posting :lol:

lmggallagher

Postby Mark Cooper » Sat Apr 25, 2020 1:14 pm

lmggallagher - You did miss the posting window for this week's cumulative tally, but down 1 lb is an excellent result! 9/10 is a pretty great week, and that exercise is the final piece - would it help to ease into it by just beginning a routine of spending even just 10-15 minutes each day focusing on getting more active? Sometimes it seems like if we can just take that first step, it gets much easier.
Mark Cooper

Postby lmggallagher » Sat Apr 25, 2020 2:09 pm

Thanks Mark - thinking alike here. I was racing on my post hoping you hadn't completed the weigh in - otherwise I would have listed my action item. I have been increasing movement over time and hitting 5000 daily steps but that is just house and garden chores now. My exercise area is almost mine again - it has been my package arrival area for the last 2 months, as I made my orders for our long stay in. I'm down to weekly grocery orders now - as the pantry is restocked. So there are just a few boxes to empty left and I should have that area back by mid week. Also hoping to get my deck back empty boxes have taken that area over and though I fill to the brim my recycle can - I'm at least a week more on that too. There I hope to put out my rowing machine - it doesn't bother my knee but has been a problem for my ankle which I severely crushed long ago. Hoping the osteoarthritis allows it now as I love rowing! Meanwhile, my plan is to start this week on the Egoscue and then start waking that 15 minutes you mentioned. I have plans for action - but hurdles to remove! I'm on it!

lmggallagher

PreviousNext

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program