January 2020 McDougall MWL Weigh-In Thread

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

January 2020 McDougall MWL Weigh-In Thread

Postby Mark Cooper » Mon Dec 30, 2019 4:32 am

A very warm welcome to the January 2020 Weigh-In thread for Dr. McDougall's Maximum Weight Loss Program!

This is a weekly weigh-in group for those wanting to follow the Maximum Weight Loss (MWL) program.
The guidelines for the MWL program are posted in a thread near the top of this forum.

Weigh-ins are on Friday; you have until noon PST on Saturday to report your result for that week. Please make a new post each week with any gains or losses in pounds; it's fine if you prefer not to share your total weight. Participants are encouraged to post regardless of whether they have a gain, loss or no change to report.

This thread is intended for the mutual support of all who wish to participate. We encourage members of the group to set goals, provide encouragement and converse openly with each other. Please feel welcome to share as little or as much of your weight loss journey in this thread as you like - questions, challenges and celebrations included.

A very HAPPY NEW YEAR to everyone joining us for the first time and returning members! Whether you are brand new to the MWL group or a seasoned veteran, I think you have made an excellent decision to start 2020 by participating here. Holidays are often a really challenging time for all of us, but now is the time for a fresh reset and commitment for a new month and a new year.

I find this way of eating to be so effective and empowering!
Before discovering the MWL plan, I struggled greatly with managing my own weight and health by counting calories, exercising and fasting. I found all these approaches exhausting, ineffective, and ultimately counterproductive (I seemed to always gain back any losses I could achieve). When I finally came to understand and practice the McDougall MWL plan, it was like I finally understood how I was always supposed to live. I definitely still face challenges and struggles, but I feel like I now have a framework with which to face those difficulties. For me, the foundation of that framework has been the MWL 10-Point Checklist. The 10 points provide real clarity and simplicity amidst our society's dietary confusion. Recently, Jeff Novick observed

Weight is an outcome based on behaviors (the 10-pt checklist). Monitoring outcomes without monitoring and adjusting behaviors, doesn't work. So, I think the 10-pt checklist is an important focus as they are the behaviors that will lead to the desired outcome.

Let's all focus on a month of eating in compliance with the following 10 points -

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit.

2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert.

3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them.

4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood).

5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy).

6. Eliminate any added oil.

7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e. bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit.

8. Don’t drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages).

9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don’t starve yourself and don’t stuff yourself.

10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking).

:D For all the visual learners, your plate should look something like this:

You don't necessarily have to check-in here everyday against the checklist, but the more you are willing to use it in your own life (or by posting in an online journal :D ) the more success you are likely to have.

An excellent resource for everyone to check out is Jeff Novick's video on calorie density -

Calorie Density: How To Eat More, Weigh Less and Live Longer

Watching this video is one of the best ways to come to a clear understanding of the principles embodied in the MWL program, and it will likely answer MANY questions and help alleviate confusion.

I am so excited to have the opportunity to get to know all of you, and I really look forward to all of us learning from one another and leaning on each other for support. What are your goals for the new year or the new month or even just this week? What challenges are you facing? What achievements would you like to celebrate? I will do my very best to be present here periodically throughout the week to welcome members and respond to questions, and thank you so much to Lindsey and Wildgoose who have volunteered to help out and jump in when they are able.

I really believe that success in this WOE and achieving your goals has a basic formula -

SUCCESS = ADHERENCE + TIME

I really hope everyone will give a month of their time over to the 10-Point Checklist, perhaps just as an experiment. Let's all see what we can achieve this January!

In addition to participating here, I would highly recommend you all consider starting a journal in the My Daily Menus & Journals forum. These journals can be a really helpful in keeping track of your progress over time and they also help other members to learn from your experiences.

This month's first weigh-in is on Friday, January 3, 2020.

Wishing you all a successful and health-supporting week, month and year!
Last edited by Mark Cooper on Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mark Cooper

Re: January 2020 McDougall MWL Weigh-In Thread

Postby AnnetteW » Mon Dec 30, 2019 8:02 am

Well, I'm in. I'm going to tighten my belt and work harder on doing the actual MWL plan. In fact, just now I ordered the book. A nice new shiny copy. I have it on my kindle already, I have the info here on the site, but I want that book in my hands as a reminder of what I have said I will do.

I'll be here for a Friday check-in.

Thanks Mark
AnnetteW

Postby Mark Cooper » Mon Dec 30, 2019 8:18 am

Glad to see you, Annette! Anchoring your commitment with a physical copy of the MWL book makes total sense to me!
Mark Cooper

Postby moonlight » Mon Dec 30, 2019 8:38 am

Hi Mark! I'm in for the January MWL Weigh-In group! I look forward to being a part of this group for accountability, learning from others, and having you to guide us along our journey. :) I answered the questions you proposed. I plan to use the 10 pt. checklist in my journal. Now, if I could just have a personal assistant to cook, organize my time, and be my personal trainer and coach...

What are your goals for the new year or the new month or even just this week?
My goal is to get back on the MWL diet with 99.9% consistency. I plan to use the 10 pt. checklist daily. For the first 3 months I plan to use the 21-day sample menu in the MWL book as a guide for my eating plan. I've done this before. The structure of having a meal plan to follow helps me keep food prepared and ready to go. I learn new recipes. Often I don't think about combining ingredients in the way a recipe does. It gives me the variety I need. It takes away the decision making about what to cook. I can get in the mindset that nothing sounds appealing to eat. When this happens I'm usually looking to go off my plan! The 21-day meal plan is also balanced. There's soups, salads, snacks, and most recipes have the 50/50 veggies to starch that we are striving to create for each meal. Since there is so much food per recipe, my plan it to make the recipes for 2 days on the menu plan and eat that for a week. This way the 21-day menu will last 10 1/2 weeks, close to 3 months.

What challenges are you facing? My biggest challenge in the beginning will be withdrawal from the richer food I have been eating lately. Mostly I have indulged in roasted in-the-shell salted peanuts. I don't know how that started... :shock: I've also been eating cake... In the evenings will be the hardest. I plan to get out my index card on what to do when cravings hit and try those techniques. First, I need to remember it just cravings. My mind can really play tricks on me, making me think I must eat something when I don't. If I can keep up my momentum, the other challenges, like daily exercise and keeping food prepared, won't be too difficult.

What achievements would you like to celebrate? I will celebrate losing 35 lbs. the first year I started back on the MWL diet then keeping it off for the last year. I feel so much better. I'm happy with my appearance. I'm more confident which makes me want to be more social.
moonlight

Postby Mark Cooper » Mon Dec 30, 2019 8:55 am

Great to have you here, moonlight!

moonlight wrote:Now, if I could just have a personal assistant to cook, organize my time, and be my personal trainer and coach...

I know, wouldn't that be great! For now, it is fun to dream about :mrgreen:

Your plan seems thorough and excellent, to me. Be sure and let us know if you find a recipe you particularly like!

moonlight wrote:My biggest challenge in the beginning will be withdrawal from the richer food I have been eating lately ... In the evenings will be the hardest. I plan to get out my index card on what to do when cravings hit and try those techniques.

Fantastic strategy! When I find myself stuck in the pleasure trap, it always helps me to remember that if I can stave off those cravings past their extinction curve they will eventually vanish - it helps to remind me that the difficulty will be temporary.

moonlight wrote:I will celebrate losing 35+ lbs. the first year I started back on the MWL diet then keeping it off for the last year. I feel so much better. I'm happy with my appearance. I'm more confident which makes me want to be more social.

Awesome achievements, 35+ lbs well and truly gone. Congratulations! Isn't it interesting how success in this area influences other aspects of our lives?
Mark Cooper

Postby iehernandez » Tue Dec 31, 2019 5:40 am

Hi Everyone! I'm looking forward to getting on track again. I'm new to the forum and think it'll be of great help. :D
iehernandez

Postby Mark Cooper » Tue Dec 31, 2019 5:54 am

iehernandez wrote:Hi Everyone! I'm looking forward to getting on track again. I'm new to the forum and think it'll be of great help. :D

Welcome, iehernandez! You are in the right place. Feel free to let us know if you have any questions or are facing specific challenges.
Mark Cooper

Postby Aprincess » Tue Dec 31, 2019 6:24 am

Hello All!

Well, I’m back. After searching through lots of approaches to this, I’ve come to find that I can’t keep searching for a way to stay in the pleasure trap and still lose weight. Duh, it doesn’t work. Calorie Density is the only way for me to do this. Time to get this right! :nod:
~ Amy ~ :) :-) :-D :D
Aprincess

Postby LynnStarr » Tue Dec 31, 2019 6:26 am

Hello All! Count me in. I have been off and on the starch solution for several years but have slacked off this year and gained back 40 lbs :mad: I am new to MWL though and downloaded the book just now. My goals are to lose the 40 lbs I gained and to kick my Diet Coke addition. I am also starting a 30 day yoga challenge Jan 1st in conjunction with this. Good Luck all!
LynnStarr

Postby Achick » Tue Dec 31, 2019 6:37 am

I'm so glad to have found this group just in time to join for the 2020 MWL :)
I just joined so have to read, review, plan today
thanks
Achick
Achick

Postby khthorndike » Tue Dec 31, 2019 6:41 am

I have followed a plant based diet for about 11 years. Starting with Dr Fuhrman and then Dr. McDougall and Chef AJ. I recently became a widow and over the last year of being a caregiver to my husband I started stress and boredom eating things like bread, dried fruit, etc and have gained about 8 lbs. I also have been battling plantar fascitis so that has made my ability to walk and hike painful. So I have been less active. So I am here to get back on track. I have at least 10 lbs to lose, 15 more ideally.
khthorndike

Postby Phoebebuffay77 » Tue Dec 31, 2019 7:17 am

I am here having recently joined, hoping for a good long standing solution to years of "dieting". Ive lost 65lbs through Greger and Esslestyn but gained 19lb back since July. Focused and ready to feel better again!! Good luck everyone :-D
Phoebebuffay77

Postby Cltcgroome » Tue Dec 31, 2019 7:27 am

I too am very happy to now be aware of the 2020 MWL and I am in. Mark I appreciate your Dec30 post, the information there alone is enough for us to make great strides. I read over the 10 points and found that I am currently about 50/50 on them. I committed to #4 on Feb 2019. maybe March #6 + #8.
The Graphic of the plate is great for me.
#1 Starting with salad/soup/fruit
#2 follow the graphic
#3 SUGAR has been my weakness forever, I am making the commitment for 2020 to almost eliminate sugar and I mean 99%.
#7 Often goes hand in hand with #3
#5 sigh this is a tough one you actually list out my favorites, ok no nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu or soy.
That brings us to #9 How to eat and #10 be active. For #9 I am going to limit my eating from the time I awake to 6pm, no eating from 6pm to 6am. #10 I will start walking for 30min every day at 'normal' lunch time.
I am looking forward to Friday.
Good luck everyone. Remember the journey of 1000 miles....
Cltcgroome

Postby Gerrylee » Tue Dec 31, 2019 7:43 am

I’d like to join in. I’m not happy with gaining back all the weight I have lost because I went back to eating more processed vegan foods. I think this weigh in will hold me accountable.

Here’s to the next 30 days.
Gerrylee

Postby ratalada » Tue Dec 31, 2019 7:45 am

I'm in! It is time to really get the accountability that I need and to follow the program that I know works! I'm ready for changes in 2020.
Rachel

Starting weight:
Current weight:
Goal weight: 200
ratalada

Next

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program