November 2019 McDougall Weigh In Thread

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: November 2019 McDougall Weigh In Thread

Postby moonlight » Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:51 pm

I haven’t lost any weight this last week. Holding steady at 168!
moonlight

Postby Artista » Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:25 pm

I’m down .6 lbs this week.

Amy wrote in her post to “decide exactly what your level of adherence will be (and remember the closer the better) and to do your best to live up to that intention for the month.“

I’ve been thinking about how to step up my level of adherence and what intention to set for the month. I've been eating ground flaxseed every day. I don’t even really like them that much, it’s more that I was afraid not to eat them. But after reading some of Jeff’s posts on Omega-3’s, I decided to try going without the flaxseeds for this month and maybe longer. I admire people who can jump in to total adherence all at once. I'm normally an all-or-nothing kind of person but with going WFPB low-fat, etc., I seem to do better with the incremental approach. I think it's given me a chance to adjust to smaller changes at a time which, for me, have resulted in more permanent changes.

Congratulations to all those who lost weight this week and especially to those who stuck with it even though the scale didn't go in the right direction.
Artista

Postby AnnetteW » Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:26 pm

I've decided to just stick to whole numbers. My goal this month, seriously, is to just see a 146 pop up on my scale.

October 31 - 147
November 11 - 148 (+1 lb)
AnnetteW

Postby amandamechele » Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:30 pm

Moonlight - I’m thrilled that you will coddiwomple with us for another month. Thank you for checking in this week. XO. Great job holding steady! That is wonderful to hear.

Alishana - I LOVE your photos. You make a beautiful meal. It’s great to have you back for November.

Annette - XO. I think seeing 146 pop for this month is a wonderful goal.

Marsha - I bet both your belly and BMI will shrink if you just keep at this. What are your favourite varieties of apples? We can totally do this and great job staying out of the Halloween candy.

Laura - Happy November to you too! Great to have you with us. Keep being that food rebel! We need many more of those in the world. I am grateful to be here too, and I’m grateful you found us too. Have a great month.

Vic - Glad you are being so proactive and not letting things get too far away from you. How has the week gone?

Connie - I am SO happy to hear from you. It’s like you read my mind this week, and I’m sure some others were sending messages checking in. I’m thrilled to hear that you are continuing to get this edema issue figured out. I’m also thrilled that you are doing your best to balance the recommendations between what your doctors think is best and what you have learned can be helpful from Dr. McDougall.

Vegman - Nice loss. Definitely weigh however often keeps you motivated.

ShortnSweet - Being real is important. If you can’t talk with your support group, what are we even doing here? I know you are doing your best to bring your adherence closer and closer to the guidelines. That’s all that we can do, and you are doing fabulously! 22 pounds in 23 weeks, this bears repeating. Best wishes with your wine goal.

Artista - Excellent! Is this the post that you are referring to? Essential Fats: Plants vs Marine & ALA vs EPA &/or DHA (I’m sharing it for the benefit of the others here. :) I agree and truly admire those that can make all of the changes at once, it seems like the easiest way to go about it. Get all of the ugliness (meaning discomfort and taste adaptations) out of the way at once. Not everyone can or will take that route and I think whatever route gets us to the right place, is the correct path.

PS. Here is a great new thread in Jeff’s forum, that I hope everyone has considered taking a look at. Metabolically Healthy Obese
amandamechele

Postby stillcrazy » Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:10 am

I am not weighing this week because I had a really horrible binge week and I don’t want to know the results. Or screw up the group’s loss. I will work on getting my head back in a decent space this week. Vee
stillcrazy

Postby victw » Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:57 am

Weight was 136. That puts me down .6 from Sunday when I last recorded. (Technically 1.6 from last Friday - but lets not get too silly.)

I consistently recorded my food this week - even the Halloween junk that was at work. This has been good for me - because I go back a year when I was really doing well and look at what I was doing and use it as a guide.

I made a veggie bean soup on Tuesday night. That helped with work food. I also splurged with chinese on Wednesday night. It turns out it's 3 servings not 2 - if you weigh and measure. Yes - I weigh and measure which is not so cool around here. But honestly I would never eat enough veggies otherwise.

I'm trying to get into a new habit of planning next weeks food on Friday - at least one big batch thing that I can make for work - usually a soup. So I'm planning on cabbage soup with beans. It might not get made till Tuesday as I'm car camping this weekend. The car camping will only be slightly challenging 'cuz there is always junk. But it's also easier than backpacking 'cuz I can bring a cooler full of veggies.

Hope everyone has a great weekend.
Vic

Also - my weighing and measuring is focused around the healthy plate.
11/1/19 Sloppy - 137.6/21.55
1/1/19 Still maintaining - 134.8/21.11
10/12/18 Maintenance wt - 136.4 BMI 21.36
5/6/18 151.8 lbs 23.8 - Normal. 4/8/18 154.6 lbs BMI 24.2 - Normal. 3/11/18 161 BMI 25.2 Overweight.
3 years staying on plan is the goal.
victw

Postby deweyswakms » Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:00 am

[quote="

Artista - Excellent! Is this the post that you are referring to? Essential Fats: Plants vs Marine & ALA vs EPA &/or DHA (I’m sharing it for the benefit of the others here. :) I agree and truly admire those that can make all of the changes at once, it seems like the easiest way to go about it. Get all of the ugliness (meaning discomfort and taste adaptations) out of the way at once. Not everyone can or will take that route and I think whatever route gets us to the right place, is the correct path.

I looked at that essential fats link. It's too much science for me. Is there one where it is all summarized?

Marsha
start weight 210 on 7/25/14; MWL recommit 7/2019 weight 197. 6/11/2022 weight 165.0. Height 5'8".
deweyswakms

Postby laurag » Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:40 am

New for me, chef AJ ! Watched utube stuff so cool, my biggest take away was eating vegetables for breakfast I had been eating oatmeal and honestly I don't love it and has lots of calories so I'm gonna switch it up I love vegetables, hi everyone keep it going!
laurag

Postby Artista » Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:24 pm

amandamechele wrote:

Yes, that one and also a thread on Omega 3's listed in the Nutrition and Health FAQ's in Jeff's board. (I tried to provide a link to it but I must not be doing it right.) Also this comment by Jeff N. on flaxseed specifically. It's from the thread titled "Blood Pressure Conundrum" in the Lounge--

“Just like we don't recommend that anyone has to take ground flaxseed, nor do we serve it at the 10-Day, but there are some who insist in taking 1 to 3 tsp/day and so I allow (not recommend) it.”

After reading this and the other info on Omega-3's, I decided to go without the flaxseeds, at least while trying to lose weight, maybe after as well.
Artista

Postby Lyndzie » Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:29 pm

laurag wrote:New for me, chef AJ ! Watched utube stuff so cool, my biggest take away was eating vegetables for breakfast I had been eating oatmeal and honestly I don't love it and has lots of calories so I'm gonna switch it up I love vegetables, hi everyone keep it going!

I totally did the VBS (veggies for breakfast) a few days this week to switch things up, but just in case there are some newbies around here I’d like to point out that this is not a recommendation from either Dr. McDougall or Jeff. Another savory breakfast idea is hash brown potatoes, so good!
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby JeffN » Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:58 pm

Lyndzie wrote:
laurag wrote:New for me, chef AJ ! Watched utube stuff so cool, my biggest take away was eating vegetables for breakfast I had been eating oatmeal and honestly I don't love it and has lots of calories so I'm gonna switch it up I love vegetables, hi everyone keep it going!

I totally did the VBS (veggies for breakfast) a few days this week to switch things up, but just in case there are some newbies around here I’d like to point out that this is not a recommendation from either Dr. McDougall or Jeff. Another savory breakfast idea is hash brown potatoes, so good!

Thank you.

To be clear, not only do we not recommend "VFB", we recommend against a meal of just non-starchy veggies. Our recommendations include having starch at every meal, even for weight loss. If one doesn’t like oatmeal, there are many other minimally processed low calorie dense starches to choose from. Oatmeal is actually very low in calorie density, at around 325 cal/lb. Having veggies as part of a starch based meal for breakfast is fine.

You can read more about it here

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=26620&p=578019#p569991

Our program is based on 40 years of clinical experience helping people.

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby victw » Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:23 pm

Wow. I never interpreted VFB as just veggies. I had air fried potatoes this morning. With some carrot sticks. I get a lot more veggies in by including them with breakfast.

Yesterday it was carrots & celery. With toasted bread and a very light layer of peanut butter on top. Plus some black bean dip mixed with salsa for dipping my c&c.

Having veggies for breakfast is also a check for me. If a carrot in the morning taste sweet to me than I know I haven't messed up my taste buds.

Vic
11/1/19 Sloppy - 137.6/21.55
1/1/19 Still maintaining - 134.8/21.11
10/12/18 Maintenance wt - 136.4 BMI 21.36
5/6/18 151.8 lbs 23.8 - Normal. 4/8/18 154.6 lbs BMI 24.2 - Normal. 3/11/18 161 BMI 25.2 Overweight.
3 years staying on plan is the goal.
victw

Postby amandamechele » Sat Nov 09, 2019 1:02 am

Hi All,

Thank you to everyone checking in this week. Some of you may have noticed I added a few of your names to the tally who had indicated some interest in being involved this month but may have forgotten to check in yesterday or today. You are still a part of this, so please feel welcome to join us for this next week and the rest of the month.
It you hadn’t already done so in October, it can be a good idea to set some specific goals for the next 2 months for yourself. November and December tend to be tougher than other months to stay on track, as we all know. ‘Tis the season to celebrate and socialize with food. Dr. McDougall has some recommendations on how to go about this:

Success Filled Goals for the Next Decade Jan/Feb 1990 McDougall Newsletter

As Step 7 suggests, you may want to consider writing down your goals for the rest of this year. A great place to to solidify and keep track of intentions is in the Journal Forum of the website. I have noticed that many many of you are there taking advantage of this tool. Good show! Please consider doing a little end of 2019 goal post for yourselves, even if just to remind yourself of you are already up to.

I wish you all the best this coming week!

Amy :)

PS. With American Thanksgiving coming up in a few weeks I thought I’d link a couple of the McDougall’s favourite menus for you to skim through for ideas for your own upcoming festivities:
Thanksgiving Planning by Mary McDougall October 2004 Newsletter
Holiday Meal Planning and Recipes

Here are the results for the 2nd Friday in November:

Next Weigh-In is on Friday, November 15th, 2019

Total group loss reported in 2019: 420.62 pounds
November 2019 Weight Loss Group :: Monthly Weigh-In Results
Total group loss in January 2019: 140.53 pounds
Total group loss in February 2019: 78.64 pounds
Total group loss in March 2019: 7.4 pounds
Total group loss in April 2019: 33.55 pounds
Total group loss in May 2019: 38.2 pounds
Total group loss in June 2019: 13.4 pounds
Total group loss in July 2019: 37.3 pounds
Total group loss in August 2019: 23.8 pounds
Total group loss in September 2019: 19.3 pounds
Total group loss in October 2019: 22.1 pounds
Total group loss in November 2019: 6.4 pounds

Week ending 11/08/2019: 11 participants reported a total loss of 3.1 pounds
---------------------------------------
AnnetteW - 1.0
---------------------------------------
Total gains: 1.0
--------------------------------------
Alishana - 0.0
Rosey - 0.0
Deweyswakms - 0.8
Vegman - 0.8
ShortnSweet - 1.1
Moonlight - 0.0
Artista - 0.6
Victw - 0.6
LauraG - 0.0
Amandamechele - 0.2
---------------------------------------------
Total losses: 4.1
---------------------------------------------

Total group loss in November 2019: 6.4 pounds
Week ending 11/08/2019: 11 participants reported a total loss of 3.1 pounds
Week ending 11/01/2019: 8 participants reported a total loss of 3.3 pounds
amandamechele

Postby amandamechele » Sat Nov 09, 2019 1:49 am

Vee - I respect your desire to not weight in this week and thank you for being courageous enough to check in. Please know that 1) No one here will ever be anything but supportive over having a difficult dietary week 2) We understand the negative emotions behind not wanting to weigh oneself and make definite or clarify the ramification of eating off plan for fear of it spurring more off plan eating. I have an on and off relationship with the scale and can say it does greatly affect me when the needle doesn’t move in the right direction which causes me to not enjoy weighing in. However the flip side of this can be that I sometimes let a slip become a slide because I let it go on for longer than I should due to avoiding a reckoning. I know you will figure the best balance for yourself and I wish you a good week.

Vic - Your comments partially inspired tonight’s tally post. The most consistently successful people keep track of their dietary intake, physical activity and weight. Self Monitoring in Weight Loss: A Systematic Review of the Literature. Best wishes this week with the extra challenges that car camping will bring. You know the drill, keep lots of healthy pre-made foods handy and as Dr. Lisle suggests, if you ever feel tempted or think you may eat some of the junk promise to eat some healthy food first and then reassess.

Marsha - Try reading this break down on essential fats from Dr, McDougall: Vegetable Fat as Medicine.

Laura - If you don’t like oatmeal there are so many other delicious starches that you can base your meal around as Jeff and Lindsey mention and you can add tons of veggies to that to lower the calorie density to a level acceptable to yourself - a 50/50plate at the most is the recommendation in order to feel satisfied with the meal. Vic’s suggestion of a potato and veg breakfast is a delicious way to start the day, instead of oats.
amandamechele

Postby AnnetteW » Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:41 am

Amandamechele, I will plan on doing the goal activity, working on it over the next few days in my online journal here. The first thought that went through my head was, NO...I don't want to keep a journal, but I was thinking about it in the hand written form, which I'm not so good at. When I type my thoughts can flow faster than I can physically write them down.

So YES, I'm in.

Who wants to join me?
AnnetteW

PreviousNext

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program