October 2019 McDougall Weigh In Thread

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: October 2019 McDougall Weigh In Thread

Postby amandamechele » Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:58 pm

GlennR wrote:You can count my vote for the CrispLid from Mealthy too. It's quick and dead simple to use. For small portions, it's better to use this than my full-sized convection oven.

Agreed! Thanks for voting Glenn. :)
amandamechele

Postby laurag » Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:33 am

Thank u Amy I love the pics of your food !
laurag

Postby laurag » Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:48 am

I just want to say I had felt very stuck and you have given me a way to go that I am feeling like I can really do this and it felt so impossible before I know it's only been a few days for me but I am so happy for being able to do challenge and I would never have done it alone! I thought about what u said concentrating on myself first then maybe husband will think there is something to it and do it on his own. I will take advice! I had oatmeal blueberries cinnamon then banana for snack, potatoes and make with tomatoes, then rice and lentils with kale and tomatoes for dinner, hi everyone! Can't wait to do instapot with lid thing for yummy potatoes!
laurag

Postby Artista » Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:17 pm

Amy, Thanks for the welcome and for posting the pictures of the Mealthy Lid! I have an InstantPot (which I love) and no room in my kitchen for another appliance like an air fryer so the lid would be perfect. I appreciate seeing the pictures of your meals, they look so simple and nourishing. I was really inspired by Wild Goose’s story and the simple approach she found that worked for her. I’m trying to move more in that direction. I have a ways to go! :)
Artista

Postby wildgoose » Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:11 pm

amandamechele wrote:What is your favourite Mealthy meal? :)

Of course I love fries. I pre-bake (Russets) or pre-steam (Yukon Gold) potatoes and chill them, then slice them into fries and air fry them.

I take a roasted and chilled sweet potato (the white sweet potato or Hanna yam is best, but the orange kind works too), cut it in half, smash the halves flat with my hand as much as I can without splitting the skin, and air fry them. (Chef AJ idea — not original to me)

I take leftover mashed potatoes, mix them with finely chopped onion, form little balls (think Tater Tots) and air fry them. This works best with a parchment liner that’s designed for an air fryer (they have holes in them — the 7.5 inch ones fit the Mealthy basket) so they don’t stick.

I stuff mushroom caps with the above mashed potato and onion mixture and air fry them. This works well with roasted sweet potato mashed with onion too.

I air fry veggies. My favorites are asparagus and cauliflower.

You can tell I’m pretty basic with the Mealthy CrispLid like I am with the rest of my diet. Potatoes. Veggies. But it works.

Goose

P.S. One more thought on air frying and MWL. Air frying removes water. Hence the food becomes somewhat more calorically dense than the same food would be if it were not air fried. When I eat air fried potatoes or air fried anything other than veggies, I always make sure half my plate by volume is steamed or raw vegetables. That keeps me satiated and doesn’t tempt me to overeat. As always, YMMV.
My story: MWL works!
How I determined my "goal weight"
wildgoose

Postby sirdle » Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:42 pm

Amy, thanks for the info about the testimonials.

I'll think about it, but I feel like I'm not quite ready. Maybe after Imbolc? :thumbsup:

Success, for me, will be measured by how well I handle significant stress (e.g., finding a new job, buying a house, working very long hours). On the whole, this has been a very low-stress year.

But the time between Samhain and Imbolc is always stressful! I try to stay out of any stores, but I have to eat. And Christmas music makes me very grumpy. Well, that's not true, I like Christmas music in July and August. ;-)

Cheers, :-P

P.S. - my wife has a very unstable tower-of-books on her night stand! :shock:
"Before Enlightenment chop wood, carry water. After Enlightenment chop wood, carry water." -- Zen proverb
sirdle

Postby amandamechele » Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:20 am

Hi!

Here are my Simplicity Challenge Photos for the Day:

There were actually two carrots here and a small bag of baby potatoes, I just forgot to take a photo until after I ate them, my apologies:

I will chat more tomorrow. Have a good night. :)
amandamechele

Postby deweyswakms » Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:04 am

Thursday Oct 10, 2019
Good morning,

I was on a trip last week, visited a friend, came home with a virus and only yesterday started feeling ok. And I gained 1.2#s, so am pleased to have lost half that. But today I do report a gain. And I'm working the MWL program again. Last night had a filling and tasty meal of peas and acorn squash!

10/2: 190.2
10/10: 190.8
gained .6
start weight 210 on 7/25/14; MWL recommit 7/2019 weight 197. 6/11/2022 weight 165.0. Height 5'8".
deweyswakms

Postby AnnetteW » Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:27 am

Hi Everyone! I'm happy to be back from my trip and back to this message board. It was the first thing I checked when I had my computer again. I don't even try boards on my phone...Facebook is all I can deal with.

I had my first official weigh-in for the month.

Aug 29 - Wt. 149.8

Sept 26 - Wt. 149.6 (loss 0.2 for August, I obviously have maintaining down pat :mrgreen: )

Oct 3 - use 149.6

Oct 10 - 148.2 (loss of 1.4)
AnnetteW

Postby vegman » Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:39 am

Last Thursday: 162.3 (BMI 24.1)
Today: 161.2 (BMI 24.0)
Change: -1.1 pounds

Goal: < 148 (<BMI 22)

Back down to exactly the weight of 2 weeks ago, which is my recent low.
vegman

Postby sirdle » Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:52 am

A loss of 1.3 lbs this week.

Down to 162.9 with a BMI of 22.2. That's 3 weeks in a row of 1+ lbs loss when I thought I was nearing my limit.

The only change I've made recently is to focus on eating more veggies and less fruit. ;-)

Cheers, :-P
"Before Enlightenment chop wood, carry water. After Enlightenment chop wood, carry water." -- Zen proverb
sirdle

Postby stillcrazy » Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:24 am

Last week: 226.0
This week: 225.9
Loss: .1

Seriously that is maintaining, not really loss but still it was a new digit on my scale so that was something. I will admit to quite a bit of program food that was not MWL food, so not too surprising. I have decided to declare a goal weight, 222 by the end of the month. I weighed 222 for a lot of years, then went up to 245 and bounced up and down from there during my last 3 plant-based years, never under 200 though. I am coming to terms with no magic, just slow steady commitment.

Lots of excitement on this list the past week, sorry I wasn’t checking in. I am definitely going to check into that crisp lid for my instant pot.I have an air fryer that I use quite a bit but would sure love to free up a bit of counter space in my small kitchen.

Love your meal pictures Amy, keep them coming! Vee.
stillcrazy

Postby amandamechele » Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:43 pm

Laura - That’s wonderful, I’m so glad you are feeling encouraged. I was in need of some inspiration too and you provided that to me. XO.

Artista - It is a great lid. Wild Goose’s story sure was inspiring, I say definitely give the simple eating strategy a try. I am finding it quite amazing, in all honesty. I had never tried cutting out all salt via very plain foods. I just wasn’t ready to do that. I had always tried to fancy it up a bit and make salt free recipes and they always disappointed me. Since I don’t expect the plain foods to taste exceptionally delicious my expectations aren’t being violated at each meal and I’m having an easier time waiting out the adaptation process until I don’t miss the salt. I am also having the very interesting (and unique to me) experience of forgetting to eat when I am busy. The only craving I have experienced this week was when I was at the mall and had to walk by the movie theatre. That delicious popcorn smell wafted out and had me pause, but it wasn’t a strong craving. This is super cool! (I don’t want to up-sell this too much, everyone’s experience may be different, and it is Thanksgiving weekend here in Canada so there will be a house full of food challenges for me to overcome. But I’m feeling up to it)

Goose - Those tater tots sound lovely! I don’t have any recipes to contribute at this point because I’ve just been doing the potatoes. Maybe others will have some fun ideas. Thank you for continuing to share your ideas here, you’ve inspired a whole bunch of us to either give this a try or at the very least file the info away for future consideration. :)

Sirdle - I had to google your holidays so I understood what you were referring to. I guess it should be no surprise that they line up pretty well with the ones I mentioned in my month opening post (and all of the ones I didn’t). Everyone has many more celebrations this time of year and it will be nice to get through them together without succumbing to poor food choices. When I lost the bulk of my first tranche of weight, it was also during a lower stress time in my life, when I had much more time to focus on good health. Are you doing all of those things that you mention this year? That is a lot of stress, but also quite exciting. (I can’t believe you are one of THOSE people who like Christmas music in the summer, I may have to reassess my opinions of you...LOL... my opinion of your wife just went way up, anyone with a book-free night stand is suspect in my mind. Ha) Nice loss this week. May I ask, you say you’ve increased veggies and decreased fruit consumption this week; how many fruit were you and are you now eating per day?

Marsha - Oh man, being sick is the worst - two of my kids have been home this week with a virus of some sort too. I’m glad you are beginning to feel better and hope it didn’t affect your trip too negatively. I’m glad your getting back into the swing of the MWL plan, your dinner sounds delish!

Annette - Good loss, and - hey - there’s definitely something to be said for having maintaining down pat! Welcome back.

Vegman - Congrats on hitting that recent low again. :)

Vee - Yes!! It can be a terribly hard lesson to come to terms with, but please feel proud that you have stuck it out long enough to come to learn it. So many people don’t and they spend their time always searching and starting something new that they don’t get a chance to get to the next phase of learning application strategies tailored to making your choice of dietary style a permanent one. I think you have set a very reasonable goal for the month and if you focus on the fundamentals (as our experts here might say) you will achieve it. Thank you for the kind words about my pictures. I’ll definitely do a few more days, just to get through Thanksgiving with my integrity intact, but after that I think they would be very boring, because I don’t foresee them changing too much. XO
amandamechele

Postby moonlight » Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:03 am

I've lost 1 lb. this week. I've been leaving salt out of most of my food and finding other spices or I'm using no spices at all. I'm getting accustomed to a different taste of my food. I won't describe it as bland because I'm finding it is just a different taste. I'm also being more aware of how much I eat at one time. Even keeping the ratio 50/50 with vegetables and starch, I can overeat....
moonlight

Postby LSS1951 » Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:54 am

I started back this WOE after being gone for two years, never should had left.
9-21 to 10-11 I have lost 7.6 lbs
yeah :-)
LSS1951

PreviousNext

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program