August 2019 McDougall Weigh In Thread

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: August 2019 McDougall Weigh In Thread

Postby sirdle » Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:50 am

amandamechele wrote:Sirdle - I love your quotes. It’s exciting to hear that you are reaching a new equilibrium. Does this mean you are stabilizing at what you believe to be the natural weight for your body when eating closely to the guidelines? (Meaning a low normal BMI?)

It's exciting for me, too! I think I still have a little ways to go, but it's hard to tell. In 2017 I was briefly down to 168 lbs. (I'm now at 171.) Then family issues derailed me and by the time I recovered (13 months later) I had regained 40 lbs. This time around, I feel like I have a much better handle on why, when, and how I eat. Won't know for sure, though, until the next big problem raises its head.

I would definitely like to drop one more pant size, but I have lost all sense of urgency. I am solidly in the 'normal' BMI range... I'm not counting calories or recording the foods I eat... and I am focusing on NOT focusing! LOL.

Very Taoist. ;)

I'm working on simplicity, consistency and repetition, and I will end up wherever I end up. 8)

But I have to say, shortly after I started this program, my wife and I started dancing. Once a month, we would go to a dance, but we rarely lasted until the Intermission. As we became stronger we stayed longer. Early this year, we finally started staying for the entire dance (3 hours). Now, I show up early to help set-up, dance the entire dance, and help tear-down afterward... about 8 hours in all!

This is a life I did not have and that Dr McDougall and Jeff Novick have given me. I am grateful. With luck, I'll remain grateful for another 35 years!

Cheers, :-P
Last edited by sirdle on Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
"Before Enlightenment chop wood, carry water. After Enlightenment chop wood, carry water." -- Zen proverb
sirdle

Postby sirdle » Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:09 pm

Aprincess wrote:P.S. Sirdle - Wow, are you an author? I would read ALL your books!

Nah, just someone who likes to read and quote people who are far smarter than I am!

Hope you're having a wonderful day!

"Before Enlightenment chop wood, carry water. After Enlightenment chop wood, carry water." -- Zen proverb
sirdle

Postby Aprincess » Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:23 pm

sirdle wrote:Nah, just someone who likes to read and quote people who are far smarter than I am!

Yeah, when I re-read it in the morning, I saw that a lot of it was quoted. Still a great post, and it helped a lot. Thanks again! :)

~ Amy
Aprincess

Postby Sarahbuz » Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:59 pm

If I missed the first week of the program, is it too late to join? Or should I wait until September? Thanks!
Sarahbuz

Postby amandamechele » Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:01 pm

Sarahbuz wrote:If I missed the first week of the program, is it too late to join? Or should I wait until September? Thanks!

It’s never too late to join. Welcome!
amandamechele

Postby laurag » Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:11 am

I love sweet potatoes I will give it a go thank you for all sugestions :nod: it's so nice to have support hope everyone is having good week! I am adding some stretching to my walk just for shoulders and neck but it feels really good would like to add some Winnie the pooh toe touches I liked the tao of pooh!
laurag

Postby sirdle » Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:27 pm

laurag wrote:I love sweet potatoes I will give it a go thank you for all sugestions :nod: it's so nice to have support hope everyone is having good week! I am adding some stretching to my walk just for shoulders and neck but it feels really good would like to add some Winnie the pooh toe touches I liked the tao of pooh!

Oh yes, definitely get in some 'stoutness' exercises! 8)

====================

Came across an interesting article by Doug Lisle on willpower... Does Willpower Hold the Key to Your Success?

Doug Lisle wrote:In his studies, Dr. Senay would have one group of subjects say to themselves, “I WILL! I WILL! I WILL!” while thinking about starting an exercise program. A second group would say “Will I? Will I? Will I?” The results were clear-cut and dramatic, and consistent with a number of other studies Dr. Senay has conducted. Those that said “I WILL!” were far less motivated and determined to exercise than those that asked themselves the question “Will I?”

The reasons for these results are still a little unclear, but Dr. Senay can see patterns emerging. When we “use our willpower” toward a goal, we can quickly feel guilty and embarrassed if we start to fall short. If, on the other hand, we keep an open mind about what we might accomplish, we feel like any positive moves we make are getting us ahead of expectations and thus are “wins.”

This makes the process of doing things better (diet, exercise, saving money) a source of pride. We are “getting ahead…better than we thought.” On the other hand, if we announce to ourselves, or anyone else, that “I will!”, it may sound impressive, but it sets us up for shame and avoidance as soon as we have a setback...

... I’ve found that encouraging my clients to say “Maybe I will and maybe I won’t…but maybe I will” keeps them excited about the possibility of putting in effort toward a goal. For some reason, it works better for most people than trying to create momentum through sheer determination. This curious motivational twist, just now getting scientific attention, is being called the “willpower paradox.”

Worth reading.

sirdle

Postby laurag » Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:18 am

Stoutness exercises! That's what it was thanku! LOL :) so fun it makes me more motivated somehow will go do some right now, weigh in tomorrow .... Will I be able to have a whole compliant day?
laurag

Postby sirdle » Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:55 am

laurag wrote:Stoutness exercises! That's what it was thanku! LOL :) so fun it makes me more motivated somehow will go do some right now, weigh in tomorrow .... Will I be able to have a whole compliant day?

Image from the book...

sirdle

Postby Shortnsweet » Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:32 am

Too excited to wait until tomorrow to share my achievement! I made it 30 consecutive days without wine!
:D :D :D
Shortnsweet

Postby Michele613 » Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:17 pm

Well congrats SnS on reaching one of your goals.....now you know you can stick to a commitment so go for the next goal. :D
Michele613

Postby Aprincess » Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:35 pm

Shortnsweet wrote:Too excited to wait until tomorrow to share my achievement! I made it 30 consecutive days without wine!
:D :D :D

I keep looking for a “Like” button! WTG!!!!

~ Amy Princess
Aprincess

Postby sirdle » Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:55 pm

@SnS - you rock! That's quite an achievement! :-P
sirdle

Postby A/S » Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:45 pm

Hi everybody
I would very much like to be a part of this weigh in group. I struggled for almost 13 years (!) with the “baby weight” that I gained after the pregnancy with my second child. I’ve tried God knows how many diets and my weight has been like a roler coaster. Besides my weight problem I developed some kind of arthritis (which the doctors say isn’t arthritis judged from blood tests) in myfinger joints. My fingers has stiffened more and more over the years, and because I can’t bear the idea to have completely stiffened finger joints in a couple of years, I decided to do a 21 day water fast.
This water fast ends tomorrow morning and as a nice side effect I finally got back to my ideal weight. Now the very Big Challenge will be to keep it! Specially in the first month, where my metabolism will be running slow because of the water fast.
Therefor my plan is to adhere to the McDougall maximum weight loss strategy, hoping that will help me keeping off the weight and healing my finger joints after my “reset”.
I live in Denmark where we count in kilograms, not pounds, but I hope I will be able to do the math. I figure I will weigh in on next Thursday and thereby give my body a week to find it self after the fast. I guess I will gain up to four pound when I introduce food again - even though I do it very slowly, starting with fruit, then adding some salad greens and finally some steemed vegetables on sunday.
Sorry for the long story - I’m looking forward to get to know you all, guys :-)
CU,
Anne-Sophie
Last edited by A/S on Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A/S

Postby deweyswakms » Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:20 pm

Hi all, I started MWL in July and see I missed the 1st weigh-in, so I'll be back this Thursday. I have been a bit sloppy with my WFPB lifestyle, and now back to lose more weight. My 1st goal is to get to 190, haven't seen that # in years. Have lost 3 so far since recommitting to MWL. My downfall is getting hungry, and yes I could eat more but feel as if I am constantly eating. I'll be back Thursday. Today's weight is 194.8 (that's good, finally below 195!).
start weight 210 on 7/25/14; MWL recommit 7/2019 weight 197. 6/11/2022 weight 165.0. Height 5'8".
deweyswakms

PreviousNext

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program