July 2019 McDougall Weigh In Thread

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: July 2019 McDougall Weigh In Thread

Postby vegman » Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:41 am

I had them genotype my DNA years ago. My reports are a little different from the current ones due to the older chip used.

My report says I am predisposed to weigh more than average, but "You have: Variants associated with lower weight: 380 Variants associated with higher weight: 382." So this doesn't sound significant.

It says my weight is likely to be similar on diets high or low in saturated fat with the same number of total calories.

My muscle composition is uncommon in elite power athletes. Perhaps this is one reason I am not an elite power athlete.

Do not have the two celiac disease variants they tested for.

Likely to consume less caffeine. I've never regularly consumed it, except for a period of tea consumption in early adolescence.

amandamechele wrote:I recently had my DNA genotyped with 23andMe and I got the results back today. Super fun! Have any of you had this done?
I discovered that I have the muscle composition common in elite power athletes, but I bet you all could tell that just by looking at my pictures...LOL. Well, maybe not, due to also discovering something much less surprising, I am genetically predisposed to weigh more than average, and even more so if my diet contains high amounts of saturated fat.

I think my genes are telling me I need to follow the McDougall MWL plan! LOL.
vegman

Postby Shortnsweet » Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:54 am

Even though I was down 4.3 lbs this week, I've discounted that loss like somehow it's not real. I'm not really sure why I'm thinking of it that way. It's bothering me. One possible reason is that I weighed myself mid-week and I was 1 lb lighter than my weight on Friday.
ANYWAY...I went back and looked at my weight loss in 2018 and this was the loss/gain trend week to week for 15-weeks during which time I lost a total of 13.8 lbs:

loss
loss
gain
loss
loss
gain
loss
gain
loss
loss
gain
loss
loss
gain
loss

And this is what the first 6-weeks this time around have been for me during which time I've lost 7.9 lbs:
loss
loss
loss
loss
gain
loss

Surprisingly, I actually feel a little better now.
Shortnsweet

Postby Michele613 » Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:59 am

Hey SnS,

Good for you! The 6 week pattern isn't 'that much different' and it really depends upon how much those gains were...could've been last year they were minor...in the tenths. What you are doing now is working for you...that's what counts. Keep this pattern going for success. Good work! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Michele613

Postby Aprincess » Sun Jul 14, 2019 11:11 am

amandamechele wrote:Hi All,

Week ending 07/12/2019: 10 participants reported a total loss of 20.9 pounds
---------------------------------------
Total gains:
--------------------------------------
APrincess - 0.0
Sirdle - 1.8
Vegman - 1.5
AnnetteW - 7.1
Rosey - 3.8
Belana - 0.2
Cmwann - 2.2
ShortnSweet - 4.3
LauraG - 0.0
Michele613 - 0.0
---------------------------------------------
Total losses: 20.9
---------------------------------------------

Great job everyone! I’m really enjoying reading all of your posts. amandamichele, thank you so much for all the great information! The article about the maximum weight loss program was excellent and has really inspired my husband and I. We feel so ready to take this on. I’m still learning my way around, but I am just dumbfounded by all the FREE information here. We are so grateful. Thank you for all your help!
~ Amy ~ :) :-) :-D :D
Aprincess

Postby sirdle » Sun Jul 14, 2019 11:48 am

Shortnsweet wrote:Even though I was down 4.3 lbs this week, I've discounted that loss like somehow it's not real. I'm not really sure why I'm thinking of it that way. It's bothering me...

Both of those trends look very typical to me.

If I graph my weight loss on a day-to-day basis it looks like a roller coaster gently running down hill. Sometimes up a bit, sometimes down a bit with an overall downward trend. Even taking a weekly snapshot shows the same trend.

Keep an eye on the overall trend and don't worry about minor fluctuations.

Cheers, :-P
"Before Enlightenment chop wood, carry water. After Enlightenment chop wood, carry water." -- Zen proverb
sirdle

Postby amandamechele » Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:29 am

Amy - Well your real name is beautiful too! I’m a bit partial to it...LOL. I’m glad you are feeling settled and thank you for telling us all a bit about yourself. You are doing the right thing; gather the information that you need and start applying it. I don’t think you will run out of things to read for....ever. I’ve been hanging around here for years and I’m still discovering interesting threads all of the time.

Hi Lindsey! - I hope you are having an enjoyable summer. Thank you for stopping by. For anyone unfamiliar, Lindsey is the facilitator of the Maintenance Group in the Testimonials Success Stories Forum.

Annette - Oh...LOL... as far as I’m concerned every pound counts, even those rare occasions where life makes it easier to lose them. Ha! Many of us have explored a number of plans, I think it’s an important part of the research stage of finding which plan will work best over the long term for your individual situation. I find this a very good plan too! How did the alcohol choices go for you yesterday?

Welcome Vegman! - I’m so glad you enjoyed the 21-Day Reboot and I hope we can continue to help you with motivation and accountability while you work towards your goal.

Sirdle - 2 out of 3 ain’t bad. McDougall’s revenge is the worst...LOL.

Laura - Eating this way makes me happy too! I’m glad you had a chance to notice the difference in how you feel after eating well and eating not-so-well. Packing food is a great plan. Another suggestion could be to try and convince whomever you traditionally goto Taco Bell with to try Wendy’s with you instead. They’ve got yummy potatoes and side salads that are plan adherent. I ate there a couple of days ago:

Michele - May it be good for you as well. :)

Moonlight - That’s my favourite quote of his! I’ve used it many times (and felt it too...LOL). I’m glad to hear your back is feeling better. There are a number of DNA testing companies out there now, I would recommend reading a few reviews and then decide which one is right for you. It is fun to read, however due to genotyping SNPs vs using whole (or selected) genome sequencing it can lack in precision, because they only look for a selection of variants of interest. You won’t discover anything genetically novel but you will learn about which particularly well studied allele variants you have and what research indicates that may mean for your future health, wellbeing, or heritage. I was looking for an easy to navigate website, with non-technical reports that were simple to understand, even at the expensive of accuracy due to possibly oversimplifying the research to make it understandable.

Vegman (again) - Fascinating! What information did you find was most valuable from the report? My report also showed the proportion of weight variants as quite similar but noted that some variants have a stronger effect on weight than others and that was how the suggested overall predisposition was calculated. I was only kidding when I said that I looked like an elite athlete... I was just trying to spin an ego-defending yarn for entertainment value. I did read that your allele composition (which doesn’t produce the alpha-actinin three protein) may produce an endurance advantage (research on rodents indicates). I have more fast-twitch, you have more slow twitch fibres. My friends and family will attest, I’m pretty twitchy...LOL...caffeine notwithstanding.

ShortnSweet - Great observations! See it’s working, because you are working it.
amandamechele

Postby vegman » Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:34 am

Amy, thanks for pointing out the language about different weightings for the weight calculation, which is also in my report; I stand corrected. It says "your genes predispose you to weigh about 6% more than average." Did it give you a percentage; if so, what was it? It says the average weight for a man my age and height (rounded to the nearest inch) is 190, so I must be doing something right.

Walking is my preferred exercise, consistent with the writeup on muscle fibers.

A lot of the health reports were based on probabilities, such as you have a 60% chance of such and such hair color. Some described my actual traits, some didn't.

amandamechele wrote:Vegman (again) - Fascinating! What information did you find was most valuable from the report? My report also showed the proportion of weight variants as quite similar but noted that some variants have a stronger effect on weight than others and that was how the suggested overall predisposition was calculated. I was only kidding when I said that I looked like an elite athlete... I was just trying to spin an ego-defending yarn for entertainment value. I did read that your allele composition (which doesn’t produce the alpha-actinin three protein) may produce an endurance advantage (research on rodents indicates). I have more fast-twitch, you have more slow twitch fibres. My friends and family will attest, I’m pretty twitchy...LOL...caffeine notwithstanding.
vegman

Postby AnnetteW » Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:47 am

amandamechele wrote:Annette - Oh...LOL... as far as I’m concerned every pound counts, even those rare occasions where life makes it easier to lose them. Ha! Many of us have explored a number of plans, I think it’s an important part of the research stage of finding which plan will work best over the long term for your individual situation. I find this a very good plan too! How did the alcohol choices go for you yesterday?

Well, I'm absolutely not upset to say that my weight is already back up to 155. That was kind of a given. But I would be happy if it doesn't go any higher. But since I refuse to "diet", I will just stick to my plan and hope it doesn't go up above that number.

Many evenings I do a quick run down in my head over how many calories I think I ate that day, approximately of course, and it's always around 1400-1500. I have to be losing weight on that amount, and I am dropping slowly. I'm just at that point where I wish I would stop thinking about it all the time. Thinking about being slim that is. I look at people and everyone is so fat, and I feel frustrated looking at the food around us all, the junk and crap. I'm frustrated that the healthier I eat, the worse my husband seems to be eating. I'm trying to keep my eye on my own plate.

Good luck to everyone, keep at it and enjoy the yummy summer fresh fruits.
AnnetteW

Postby sirdle » Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:02 pm

amandamechele wrote:Wendy’s -- They’ve got yummy potatoes and side salads that are plan adherent.

I thought Wendy's salads came covered in cheese? How did you get one that was barefoot?
"Before Enlightenment chop wood, carry water. After Enlightenment chop wood, carry water." -- Zen proverb
sirdle

Postby amandamechele » Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:41 pm

vegman wrote:Amy, thanks for pointing out the language about different weightings for the weight calculation, which is also in my report; I stand corrected. It says "your genes predispose you to weigh about 6% more than average." Did it give you a percentage; if so, what was it? It says the average weight for a man my age and height (rounded to the nearest inch) is 190, so I must be doing something right.

Walking is my preferred exercise, consistent with the writeup on muscle fibers.

A lot of the health reports were based on probabilities, such as you have a 60% chance of such and such hair color. Some described my actual traits, some didn't.

My report said that my genes predispose me to weigh about 4% more than the average.
So, as you’ve noticed in your own life, in spite of living in the current obesogenic environment, through working hard at eating well you have managed to beat your genes. I still weigh more than even my genetic susceptibility suggests, suggesting I need to be working a little harder.

Much like you have noted above, these are based on probabilities and not the last word on personal outcomes. We have the power to attenuate/intensify gene expression and avoid triggering certain latent negative suspectibilites.

Jeff recently updated the Optimum BMI thread with research that suggests how consistent healthy choices mitigate genetic susceptibilities .

Genetically associated increased BMI and body weight could be mitigated by increasing fruit and vegetable intake, and the beneficial effect of improving fruit and vegetable intake on weight management was more pronounced in individuals with greater genetic susceptibility to obesity.
Last edited by amandamechele on Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
amandamechele

Postby amandamechele » Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:52 pm

AnnetteW wrote:Well, I'm absolutely not upset to say that my weight is already back up to 155. That was kind of a given. But I would be happy if it doesn't go any higher. But since I refuse to "diet", I will just stick to my plan and hope it doesn't go up above that number.

Many evenings I do a quick run down in my head over how many calories I think I ate that day, approximately of course, and it's always around 1400-1500. I have to be losing weight on that amount, and I am dropping slowly. I'm just at that point where I wish I would stop thinking about it all the time. Thinking about being slim that is. I look at people and everyone is so fat, and I feel frustrated looking at the food around us all, the junk and crap. I'm frustrated that the healthier I eat, the worse my husband seems to be eating. I'm trying to keep my eye on my own plate.

Good luck to everyone, keep at it and enjoy the yummy summer fresh fruits.

You are making the right choice in refusing to diet. Keep following the MWL guidelines, they will get you to the slimness you desire.
People, in general, are notoriously bad at calorie counting and consistently underestimate the amount we have consumed.
So, if it helps with the overthinking, consider not trying to tally up the calories each day. Once a week is enough self tracking for success (ie this weigh in). It will help you feel less like you are on a diet and more like this is just how you live.
I understand how you are feeling about seeing your husband eat things that you fear affect his health negatively. The best way to get him on board is by being a great example. Let him watch your success and come to his own decision about whether he wants to follow in your footsteps. Many, many partners do.

Best wishes this week.
XO
Amy
amandamechele

Postby amandamechele » Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:56 pm

sirdle wrote:I thought Wendy's salads came covered in cheese? How did you get one that was barefoot?

Ask and it shall be given you!

This particular visit I was accidentally given a salad with cheese, so I had to ask twice. LOL

Amy
amandamechele

Postby sirdle » Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:06 pm

amandamechele wrote:
sirdle wrote:I thought Wendy's salads came covered in cheese? How did you get one that was barefoot?

Ask and it shall be given you!

This particular visit I was accidentally given a salad with cheese, so I had to ask twice. LOL

Amy

LOL!

Thanks. I'll remember. That sounds easier than picking all the cheese off. :-P
sirdle

Postby Aprincess » Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:43 am

Does Shredded Wheat work with this program? There’s no sugar, oil, or salt in the ingredients. Just wheat.
~ Amy ~ :) :-) :-D :D
Aprincess

Postby laurag » Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:04 am

to AnnetteW I really feel the same about being so discouraged and I have guilt about my husband not eating the way I wish he would. Listening to the response about just worrying about u and your success will help him go in right direction makes me think I should try xtra hard my success will be his success. I worry about him so much but I cant do it for him. I do think I could cook a little for him but Its hard he dosnt like healthy stuff and I feel bad about making unhealthy its a hard spot to be in.
laurag

PreviousNext

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program