May 2019 McDougall Weigh In Thread

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: May 2019 McDougall Weigh In Thread

Postby alishana » Sat May 18, 2019 2:46 pm

I'm up 0.5 this week, I ate a lot out of plan and it made me realize how food can be an addiction.
alishana

Postby LLP » Sat May 18, 2019 4:08 pm

I'm down 2 pounds this week!

Super excited to have the scale move. I have been working on lowering the calorie density by a little at each meal. I will lower it even more in the coming week to be closer to Dr. McDougall, etc recommendations are. I was back to eating mostly starch and convenience foods before last week, so eating more green and yellow vegetables was definitely overdue.

Liz
LLP

Postby amandamechele » Sat May 18, 2019 11:28 pm

Hi Everyone!

Thank you to each and every one of you for checking-in this week. It’s nice to read about how you’re doing...what you’re doing...why you’re doing... I guess that’s just my way of saying it’s nice to get to know you all. :)

It’s possible to get lost-for-years in this website if you were to really decide to go through all of the available information. I still stumble across words I haven’t read, media I haven’t viewed, research the program is based on, people that Dr. McDougall was inspired by and people he has inspired, almost every time I’m here. (Jeff’s forum is a-whole-nother story...LOL)
For today’s suggested viewing:
Here’s an earlier webinar from 2015 that I had never watched:
Treating Obesity with a Low Fat, Starch Based Diet
Dr. McDougall and Gustavo discuss the plan and answer questions:
- What is the BEST way to get started on a diet change? (22:00)
- Explain why oils are toxic? (35:00)
- Why is weight loss slow? (36:00)
- What is your exercise routine?
- What is your (and Mary’s) favourite meal? (41:00)
- What are your thoughts on white rice? (43:00)

Here’s one more that I like:
The Starch Solution Secrets

Next time you are doing your food prep, grab your phone or tablet device and play one of the above links, or any of the multitude of available mediafound on the website. It can help the time spent chopping veggies and pre-preparing soups/stews pass more quickly; and you may come away feeling more motivated too!

Best wishes for the coming week!

Amy XO

PS. Did you see Dr. Anthony Lim’s op-ed in the Fresno Bee? Plant Based School Meals: A Healthy Future for Students and the Climate. Way to go Dr. L!

Here are the results for the third week in May:

Next Weigh-In is on Friday, May 24th, 2019

Total group loss reported in 2019: 282.82 pounds

May 2019 Weight Loss Group :: Monthly Weigh-In Results
Total group loss in January 2019: 140.53 pounds
Total group loss in February 2019: 78.64 pounds
Total group loss in March 2019: 7.4 pounds
Total group loss in April 2019: 33.55 pounds
Total group loss in May 2019: 27.3 pounds

Week ending 05/17/2019: 18 participants reported a total loss of 8.2 pounds
---------------------------------------
Midnight87 - 1.4
Cmwann - 0.2
Belana - 2.6
Idgie - 1.4
Artista - 0.4
Alishana - 0.5
---------------------------------------
Total gains: 6.5
--------------------------------------
Moonlight - 1.0
Shelley Crockett - 3.0
Kdeaton - 0.0
Michele613 - 0.0
Sirdle - 0.1
Pace524 - 1.6
Dpascar - 0.0
Apr.grandash55 - 4.0
Spirit3330 - 0.0
EllenN - 3.0
LLP - 2.0
Oonaowl - 0.0
---------------------------------------------
Total losses: 14.7
---------------------------------------------

Total group loss in May 2019: 27.3 pounds
Week ending 05/17/2019: 18 participants reported a total loss of 8.2 pounds
Week ending 05/10/2019: 19 participants reported a total loss of 23.7 pounds
Week ending 05/03/2019: 22 participants reported a total loss of -4.6 pounds
Last edited by amandamechele on Mon May 20, 2019 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
amandamechele

Postby OOnaOwl » Sun May 19, 2019 9:27 am

I'm still here, checking in. Technically I lost weight this past week but it is hard to say how much. I am back down to the 2 pound loss from before that I had regained. Not going to post an actual loss until I have lost more than this. Eating a lot more raw produce still, making great shredded veggie salads for lunch each day. Also eating more in season fruits such as citrus. Hoping I can get my insulin resistance resolved so I can finally slim down! Wishing everyone health and happiness!
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wAKnwyn/]

"Fall down seven times, stand up eight" -Japanese proverb
OOnaOwl

Postby amandamechele » Sun May 19, 2019 11:19 pm

Idgie - Thank you for checking in, even during a tough week. I’m sure this next week will be a bit better. Try one small change at a time. XO. Which one will it be? :)
You may have noticed I’m not weighing myself publicly right now, so know that I understand what you’re going through. My change was to recommit to giving up coffee (it has a triggering effect for me for all kinds of other stuff). It really does come down to getting enough days of really good adherence under your belt to be able to get far enough away those cravings that they feel manageable. I’m still waking up dreaming of coffee, but it’s been more than 3 weeks now and it’s feeling a bit better. I’m now moving onto to not eating after 7pm. Only a couple of days under my belt, but I’m armed with decaf tea and sparkling water as my crutch and I plan to get through this too. I’m sharing this with you, in spite of it making me feel really embarrassed to do so. There has to be somewhere we can always keep working through the details of a problem, gain help, and support without worrying about how it looks to others. I’ve made this my place to do so and I hope you make it yours too.

Artista - I think it is many many people’s reality. I love the cartoon too. :) You can do this; keep examining your adherence level and compare it to your loss per week. Readjust as necessary.

Ellen - Nice loss! Yikes, a pinched nerve is no fun. I hope you can get some rest for the area involved and maybe have someone take a look at it, if it doesn’t clear up soon. Keep up the great food choices, you have been doing quite well.

Michele - Laughter is the best medicine, or so Reader’s Digest had me believe as a kid...LOL. How is your week going so far?

Alishana - The Pleasure Trap can be a difficult trap to get out of. Good luck this week with your effort to get out of it. I don’t have any special advice, I know that you know what to do. Clear out junk foods, and any really tempting items out of your home. Pick a few recipes for soups/bean stew, grain salads and make them in big enough batches to last a few days. Keep baked potatoes and rice ready to eat. Chop up the veggies and fruit in the fridge, because then you are much more likely to use them as snacks when wandering through the kitchen. XO.

Liz - That’s awesome to hear. Keep up the good work. What are your favourite green and yellow veggies? I really love Swiss chard...but it’s very expensive. I think I will try and grow it in my garden, once we put one in...LOL.

Oonaowl - How fabulous. Wishing you health and happiness too.

Here are a couple of my meals from the week, just for fun:

The recipe for the gravy is (it was pretty good - tasted a bit like Christmas to me):
Ultimate Vegan Gravy - Forks Over Knives
(I personally prefer Mary McDougall’s Golden Gravy, but I wanted to try something new.)

I made this amazing lentil soup too. I have finally found a recipe that I enjoy zucchini in...Yay! Sadly, I neglected to take any photos of it (I just remembered why - it’s delicious but not particularly photogenic... LOL).
amandamechele

Postby alishana » Tue May 21, 2019 2:20 am

Thank you so much for your kinds words and advices Amandamechele ! I'm going to do exactly that :D
alishana

Postby alishana » Wed May 22, 2019 2:18 pm

Hi everybody ! What are you eating for breakfast ? I'm mostly eating leftovers and oatmeal with fruits but I'm looking for new ideas.
alishana

Postby amandamechele » Wed May 22, 2019 4:10 pm

alishana wrote:Hi everybody ! What are you eating for breakfast ? I'm mostly eating leftovers and oatmeal with fruits but I'm looking for new ideas.

I eat mostly oatmeal and fruit too. This suits my not-a-morning-person personality. LOL.
However, when feeling like something new, I sometimes make hash brown potatoes (cubes or shredded) with various toppings. I especially love dry fried onion, green pepper and mushrooms on them with touch of BBQ sauce.
Other yummy toppings include adherent recipes for ketchup, applesauce*, baked beans, green onions... and so many more.
amandamechele

Postby moonlight » Thu May 23, 2019 7:12 pm

Oatmeal and potato hashbrowns are two of my favorite breakfast foods, too. I also like a slow baked sweet potato with mashed banana. If you have an oven where you can preset the cook time, you can put the potato in the oven the night before and set the timer an hour before you want to eat and wake up to a nice smell from the kitchen. The microwave works well, too, if you don't plan ahead. Winter squash works well with the preset oven timer, too.
moonlight

Postby Michele613 » Thu May 23, 2019 11:40 pm

Well Amy and fellow team members, this is my 4th day back on program....I am guarded but feel ok for now. Ironically I leave next Tues for a 7 day spiritual retreat to the Ukraine. I cannot be bothered worrying about what I'll eat as I doubt I will have storage available and I am taking carry on only. The women only trip includes the food so it will lean towards our tastes no doubt. It will be what it will be. I'll do my best with it. I am grateful that I have even been able to get the 'first day' going as I was in a negative rut.

I am down 3.2 from my reboot after going back to square one. :)

Love yourselves by making better and consistent choices for a longer life in health...wishing everyone a successful weigh-in and upcoming week.

PS Having my oatmeal and fruit too this morning.
Michele613

Postby midnight87 » Fri May 24, 2019 4:56 am

I'm down .4 lbs this morning. Was hoping for more, but at least I'm moving in the right direction again :) I'm thinking about changing things up this next week and doing a "savory breakfast challenge" to get myself to try some new things lol. I also want to try starting my dinners out with a vegetable soup. We'll see how this goes.
midnight87

Postby cmwann » Fri May 24, 2019 5:23 am

I am so excited to report in that I lost 2.2 lbs this week!! :eek: (Down to 140.8 from 143.) That is a LOT considering I'm now only 11 lbs away from my goal of 130! I feel like something "clicked" in my body and it's now getting it! And I can feel a difference in my clothes. I hope the trend continues!
cmwann

Postby Shelley Crockett » Fri May 24, 2019 5:33 am

Good morning,

Alishana, I mostly eat oatmeal. I do on a rare occasion have a very green smoothie, but not often. Sometimes to shake it up I'll have winter squash and veggies. I hear veggies for breakfast is good, but it's never been my thing. Love veggies, but not so much for breakfast. Feels like dieting and deprivation, which is not good for this brain.

Unfortunately, I have to record a gain this week. +2 lb

I had to eat out for a work event, that involved a small group and a menu. It was italian, I had pasta with red sauce and veggies. I requested no oil, but there was some oil. I think the oil, salt and heavy pasta tipped the scale. :cry: Hope to recover quickly.

Hope you all had a good week.

Shell :-D
Shelley Crockett

Postby cmwann » Fri May 24, 2019 5:50 am

Oh, and my breakfast is almost the same every morning because I love it. I have rolled oats cooked in water with 1T ground flaxseed, 1/2c blueberries and 1 tsp coconut sugar. I used to include a handful of walnuts and a couple of dates instead of the coconut sugar, but this plan changed that for now. :) I love my oatmeal! If I have a sweets craving, that's now my go-to!
cmwann

Postby alishana » Fri May 24, 2019 7:29 am

Thank you so much everyone for the different breakfast ideas ! All your potatoes dishes sounds amazing to me, I'll try some.

Nothing change for my weight this week ! But I feel lighter, I'm exited to find if it's true next week :D
alishana

PreviousNext

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program