December 2018 McDougall Weigh In Thread

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: December 2018 McDougall Weigh In Thread

Postby anne57 » Sat Dec 22, 2018 3:10 pm

Last edited by anne57 on Mon May 06, 2019 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
anne57

Postby amandamechele » Sun Dec 23, 2018 3:21 am

Hi Everyone,

I'm so happy to hear from each of you and want to thank you for continuing to weigh-in. I have a feeling that choosing to be accountable to checking-in each week has helped every single one of you in at least one decision ... and every single good choice counts!

If you have a number of holiday events to host or attend this could be a tricky week with regards to staying on-plan.

The optimal strategy is to completely adhere to the MWL program. Pre-make snacks and meals and bring them with you to any events. This will keep you out of the Pleasure Trap and keep you on track for continued weight loss and peace of mind.

I know this strategy is not for everyone, or even necessary for everyone. But it does make things easiest for staying in a good groove.

The next best thing to do is have a plan before you go anywhere and stick to it. Decide ahead of time what you are willing to eat and what you are not. That way you can have your indulgence but not let it go too far. In the past mine, for example, has been to plan to eat regular McDougall program during events (and even afterwards if the leftovers are hanging around). That way I don't end up feeling like I've failed if I decide to have some almond milk rice-pudding or Mary McDougall's delicious French Toast. Additionally I am less likely to wander into the dishes that my family may bring that really will work against my goals and are truly unhealthy.

Here are some holiday menus from a few well known personalities in the healthy whole-food, plant-exclusive arena:
McDougall Holiday Meal Planning & Recipes Updated
Forks Over Knives Holiday Recipes
Straight Up Food Holiday Archives
Dreena Burton's Holiday Recipes

I realize some people may not celebrate Christmas, and since I do, I tend to focus on the dietary difficulties surrounding it specifically. It is not my intention to leave anyone out, so please forgive me on this. All of the information can be applied to any social event or celebration or holiday.

Merry Christmas to those celebrating! Best wishes for an adherent week to those who do not.

Amy :)

Here are the results for the 3rd week in December:

Next Weigh-In is on Friday, December 28th, 2018

Total group loss reported in 2018: 502.48 pounds

December 2018 Weight Loss Group :: Monthly Weigh-In Results
Total group loss in January 2018: 54.7 pounds
Total group loss in February 2018: 49.3 pounds
Total group loss in March 2018: 52.5 pounds
Total group loss in April 2018: 26.9 pounds
Total group loss in May 2018: 50.8 pounds
Total group loss in June 2018: 54.3 pounds
Total group loss in July 2018: 50.3 pounds
Total group loss in August 2018: 73.85 pounds
Total group loss in September 2018: 44.06 pounds
Total group loss in October 2018: 30.9 pounds
Total group loss in November 2018: 18.47 pounds
Total group loss in December 2018: 1.6 pounds

Week ending 12/21/2018: 10 participants reported a total loss of 6.9 pounds
---------------------------------------
Lyndzie - 2.5
ForestGoddess - 0.6
---------------------------------------
Total gains: 3.1
--------------------------------------
Anne57 - 5.0
Rosey - 2.5
Arewethereyet - 1.6
Lakeeriemom - 0.0
Yomom - 0.0
Starbright831 - 0.6
Amandamechele - 0.3
Moonlight - 0.0
---------------------------------------------
Total losses: 10
---------------------------------------------

Total group loss in December 2018: 1.6 pounds
Week ending 12/21/2018: 10 participants reported a total loss of 6.9 pounds
Week ending 12/14/2018: 13 participants reported a total loss of -5.4 pounds
Week ending 12/07/2018: 13 participants reported a total loss of 0.1 pounds
Last edited by amandamechele on Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
amandamechele

Postby moonlight » Sun Dec 23, 2018 11:41 am

Amy, I'm sorry I forgot to check in during the weigh-in window. I guess because I'm not participating, it slipped my mind. I'm looking forward to getting back on the count starting in January. I think the break has been good for me to settle my anxious thoughts that were arising around my slow progress. I know I have been progressing and I now have a better perspective in mind, even if I don't lose weight as fast I'd I want to. Set backs happen. The important component is sticking with the program, to re-set when needed, and keep the mind set that this is my way of life.

I want to wish everyone celebrating Christmas a happy time with friends and family. Hopefully, there won't be any stress in your holiday festivities. Eating MWL meals as much as possible will reduce stress. For me, if I don't look at the stuff I don't want to eat. That strategy really reduces my desire.
moonlight

Postby amandamechele » Sun Dec 23, 2018 10:51 pm

moonlight wrote:Amy, I'm sorry I forgot to check in during the weigh-in window. I guess because I'm not participating, it slipped my mind. I'm looking forward to getting back on the count starting in January. I think the break has been good for me to settle my anxious thoughts that were arising around my slow progress. I know I have been progressing and I now have a better perspective in mind, even if I don't lose weight as fast I'd I want to. Set backs happen. The important component is sticking with the program, to re-set when needed, and keep the mind set that this is my way of life.

I want to wish everyone celebrating Christmas a happy time with friends and family. Hopefully, there won't be any stress in your holiday festivities. Eating MWL meals as much as possible will reduce stress. For me, if I don't look at the stuff I don't want to eat. That strategy really reduces my desire.

No worries Moonlight! :)

That's fantastic to hear that this break has rejuvenated you and given you time to come to a better understanding of your reality. The weight loss will happen, count on it, as long as you keep putting in the effort that you are. Slow can feel frustrating, but it's way better than gaining back previously lost weight. You've got this! It IS about sticking to the program, resetting when needed and realizing temporary changes only give us temporary losses.

I hope this past few weeks haven't been too painful for you mentally. (That could be just how I experience this kind of inflection point, so please excuse this if that's not your experience. Maybe it has been an invigorating and inspirational experience!)

Merry Christmas and best wishes for your holiday goals. I appreciate you continuing to check-in.

Amy
XO
amandamechele

Postby amandamechele » Sun Dec 23, 2018 11:13 pm

I saw this on Facebook and thought some of you may also find it amusing:

(I got it from Dr. W. Shane Williams' FB page, he's a Canadian plant-based cardiologist)
amandamechele

Postby Yomom » Mon Dec 24, 2018 8:45 am

Amy, that’s a good joke! Thanks for the laugh.
Thanks also for helping us tweak our efforts to stay compliant.
K
Yomom

Postby amandamechele » Tue Dec 25, 2018 12:35 am

Yomom wrote:Amy, that’s a good joke! Thanks for the laugh.
Thanks also for helping us tweak our efforts to stay compliant.
K

Merry Christmas Kathy, to you and yours. I hope it is a lovely day filled with family and fun.

Amy
amandamechele

Postby anne57 » Fri Dec 28, 2018 7:29 am

Last edited by anne57 on Mon May 06, 2019 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
anne57

Postby ForestGoddess » Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:19 am

So I had every intention of starting to eat better last week...but it didn't happen...and so I am up another 2.4 lbs (new weight this morning 128.8 ). Enough is enough. Last night I created some tracking spreadsheets for myself and I am going to record anything I put into my mouth. I am also going to cut down on my tea consumption (and drink hot water with lemon instead, because I like to have warm drinks all year long). I am tired of the excuses, I am tired of the guilt. I am tougher than this and no matter how many times I have to start over I will be successful.

Things I need to avoid:
Alcohol (usually leads to processed food cravings and eating)
Getting too hungry.
Not having a plan.
Not having prepared food available at all times.

Today is my son's birthday...so I will have a small slice of birthday cake, but other than that I should be good. I gave my kids the rest of the chocolate I had left from my Christmas stocking.

Onward...
Last edited by ForestGoddess on Fri Dec 28, 2018 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ForestGoddess

Postby moonlight » Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:00 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm rejoining the weigh-ins! I watched JeffN's calorie density lecture, again. Time well spent!! I'm at 175 lbs. so I can start reporting losses next week!
moonlight

Postby Rosey » Fri Dec 28, 2018 2:10 pm

266.5 lbs last week up to 272.2 lbs this week I am fluctuating so much with this bloating kinda frustrating. so 5.7 lb gain.
Rosey

Postby starbright831 » Fri Dec 28, 2018 3:56 pm

I’m up 1.8. Not too bad I guess. Looking forward to doing better next week.
Dea
starbright831

Postby amandamechele » Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:57 pm

Anne - Nice loss. :) What a wonderful gift you have given yourself for the holiday.

ForestGoddess - Excellent ideas. Refusing to accept defeat will keep you working hard at figuring out the very individual ways in which you need to apply the general guidelines effectively. Do some tracking for a bit to confirm that what you thing is leading you astray really is the issue. A very happy birthday to your son! I have found that a period of very strict adherence can really help things along. Cravings recede, good patterns for preparation are formed, the initial weight loss is motivating, and your self-esteem is boosted inspiring tentative confidence in future good choices. Is there a period of time available to you that has very limited challenges and temptations? I’m up to my neck in temptations right now and absolutely understand what you are going through. We can soldier through this together.

Moonight - :) I’m super happy to hear that you’re feeling good and ready for more work. Let’s use the whole cultural milieu of New Year’s Resolutions in our favour. By starting back on track right now you get to be one step ahead of most people and can enter January and your regular schedule feeling great.

Rosey - I hope you are having a lovely holiday break. It must be frustrating sometimes to deal with these unexpected periods of water retention. You are doing yourself a good service by trying to follow the guidelines as closely as possible. Imagine how much worse it could be. XO.

Dea - Great attitude! With a combination of the right effort and conditions you can have a great week next week. Best wishes.
amandamechele

Postby Lyndzie » Sat Dec 29, 2018 6:47 am

I am up +.6 this week, making it a total gain of roughly 5 lbs this December. Ugh. Thank goodness that is behind us for the most part. We have the last family gathering today, and I’m bringing my own food because I have no desire to eat pizza delivery and stale cookies. So grateful for the support here, and having other people who have similar struggles.

Happy New Year everyone!
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby Yomom » Sat Dec 29, 2018 6:43 pm

I am up 2# this week to 148#. Still getting a fair bit of exercise, enough to be tired and sore most mornings. Tempting off-plan food is everywhere, of course. I am planning to make Amy’s improvised Cabbage Soup tomorrow to help me refocus on the good stuff.
Hoping everyone is enjoying the holiday season with family and friends.
Kathy
Yomom

PreviousNext

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program