May 2018 McDougall Weigh In Thread

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

May 2018 McDougall Weigh In Thread

Postby amandamechele » Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:00 pm

Welcome to the May Weigh-In Thread for Dr McDougall's Maximum Weight Loss Program.

For the program details visit the MWL Guidelines thread in this forum. Please check out as many of the links as you have time for, there is so much here to discover!
A couple of other great resources, for those just starting out, are from Jeff Novick the staff dietician for the program: The Ultimate Guide to Free Calorie Density (MWL) Resources and his 1 hour video explanation on Calorie Density: How to Eat More, Weigh Less and Live Longer.

Hi All!

It's the beginning of a new month, a time which many people use as a jumping off point to try and get themselves restarted on a path to healthier living. That makes it the perfect time to post yet another newsletter summary of the MWL Program. It's like re-reading a favourite book at this point: calmingly familiar in character, theme and setting, where appreciation of the little nuances becomes the focus with each additional perusal.
So let's learn, share, strategize and, most importantly, lose some weight. I look forward to hearing from you all on Friday!

Amy :)

Jeff Novick RD wrote:
Maximizing Weight Loss: How To Fine Tune Calorie Density
by Jeff Novick, MS, RD

This note is in response to questions I frequently get about weight loss. The questions usually have to do with not losing weight at all, not losing enough weight or not losing weight fast enough.

Weighing yourself on a scale on a weekly basis is the best method to tell if you are in a negative calorie balance. To do so, weigh yourself on the same scale, in the same place, at the same time, in the same clothes. For the most accurate weight, weigh yourself without clothes on, first thing in the morning after awakening and going to the bathroom.

On average, you should be able to safely and healthfully lose about 1(-2)% of your weight a week and maybe even more. This amount is an average over time and some weeks you will lose more and some weeks will be less. Those who have the most weight to lose, will lose the most weight in the beginning. While 1(-2)% may not seem like much, if you multiply the number out by 12 weeks, 24 weeks or even 52 weeks, this could easily equal 24, 48 or 100 lbs or more.

Now, if you are not losing weight, the first thing to do is to review the principles of calorie density and make sure you understand them and are applying them correctly. You can find these principles outlined in the newsletter, "A Common Sense Approach To Sound Nutrition."

If you are following the principles of calorie density and your excess weight is not coming off as quickly as you would like, then there are some adjustments you can make to what you are doing in regard to the "calories in" and the "calories out" end of the equation.

In regard to calories out, you have three areas you can make adjustments, which are frequency, intensity and time (FIT). You can exercise on more days or more times in a day (Frequency), you can raise the intensity of your exercise (Intensity), and/or you can do it for a longer period of time (Time). For most people, 150 minutes of exercise per week, should be more than enough.

In regard to calories in, you can lower the calorie density of the diet, by shifting the composition of your meals to include more foods that are the lowest in calorie density (vegetables, salads, soups, etc). Make sure 1/3 to 1/2 of the visual volume of all your meals are low calorie dense vegetables. The other 1/2- 2/3 should be unrefined, un-(or minimally)-processed complex carbohydrates (legumes, intact whole grains, starchy vegetables.

In addition, you can make the following modifications:

- Salt: For many people, salt seems to act as an appetite stimulant. So, the less you salt your food, the less people tend to eat.

- Variety: For many people, having a variety of foods available at each meal also seems to encourage over consumption. Therefore, the less variety at a meal, the less food consumed.

- Raw Foods: Foods you can eat raw tend to be lower in calorie density and may not digest as efficiently as cooking helps the digestion process.

- Sequencing: Eat the lowest calorie dense foods first. This fills you up so you eat less of the higher calorie dense foods.

- Avoid (or strictly limit):
- all higher fat, calorie dense plant foods (nuts, seeds, oils, avocados,
tofu, etc.)

- all refined processed grains & starches that are higher in calorie density
(breads, bagels, crackers, cookies, dry cereal, tortilla's etc & anything
made from ground up flour) even if they are whole grain.

- all concentrated sugars/sweeteners (sugar, brown sugar, agave, honey,
molasses, date sugar, etc) even if they are natural and organic

- all dried and dry fruits (raisins, dates, figs, etc)

- all liquid calories (juice, non-dairy milks, etc)

If you follow the principles of calorie density and make the necessary adjustments as needed, you will lose weight in a healthy way at a healthy rate.

In Health
Jeff

Maximizing Weight Loss: How to Fine Tune Calorie Density

Here are the standard monthly instructions for participating in this thread:

Our weigh in's are on Fridays and you have until 12 PM PST on Saturday to report.

Anyone is welcome to join the weekly weigh in group as long as they follow the McDougall principles. We recommend following the Maximum Weight Loss (MWL) plan or the Mary's Mini's Plan.

There is a sticky at the top of this forum on the guidelines for the MWL program.

In order to tally the results please submit your results by posting the total pounds you have lost or gained that week. You don't have to share your total weight if you'd rather keep that to yourself. This is an honor system so we take the gain, loss or maintain you give us in order to tally. (Please make a new post each week)

If you are a new member and would like to join but don't have a weight to be counted for the week then you will be counted either as a body with a zero starting weight, or when you check in for the weekly weigh in the following week. Large amounts of weight lost over a period of months or weeks, prior to joining the weekly weigh in group, will not be counted towards the weekly total.

If you measure your weight in something other than pounds please convert the measurement to pounds.

All gains will be counted towards the total to encourage weekly participation. Posting is encouraged whether it's a gain, a loss, or a maintain.

You are welcome to share as little or as much as you want on your weight loss journey here in this thread. We encourage members of the group to talk to each other, cheer each other on and set goals together.

This thread is for the mutual support of all who wish to participate.

Sent from my iPad
amandamechele

Re: May 2018 McDougall Weigh In Thread

Postby amandamechele » Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:17 pm

Here are some ideas for meals taken from a variety of my older photos...I haven't been doing much photographing of meals lately, so these are from the past couple of months.

amandamechele

Postby Jobet » Tue May 01, 2018 5:49 am

OMGoodness, Amy! I'm drooling. I'm smelling my sweet potatoes as they bake, while looking at your beautiful food! I love this incredibly beautiful way of eating!! ♥
Blessings,

Jobet
Jobet

Postby moonlight » Tue May 01, 2018 11:35 am

Thanks, Amy, for the inspiring food pics! I love all the veggies on your plate!

I've already lost 2 lbs since last weigh-in. I hope I can keep them off by Friday. I did not have a very losing April...

All the best to everyone.
moonlight

Postby Pudgypumpkin » Tue May 01, 2018 1:24 pm

Getting ready for this one.

Thanks for making this possible.

Karen
Pudgypumpkin - who is working on becoming a Sleekleek!
One potato, two potato, three potato, four - I'm a McDougalling Starchivore!
Pudgypumpkin

Postby amandamechele » Wed May 02, 2018 11:43 pm

Pudgypumpkin wrote:Getting ready for this one.

Thanks for making this possible.

Karen

:D :) :)

You've totally got this!
amandamechele

Postby Njblueslady » Wed May 02, 2018 11:55 pm

I am looking forward to joining the MAY MWLP. I am hoping that by being more diligent about my Starchivore program that I will finally lose the weight that has plagued me for years. Wish me luck!!
Njblueslady

Postby amandamechele » Thu May 03, 2018 12:45 am

Njblueslady wrote:I am looking forward to joining the MAY MWLP. I am hoping that by being more diligent about my Starchivore program that I will finally lose the weight that has plagued me for years. Wish me luck!!

Good luck! See you Friday!! :D

Amy
amandamechele

Postby Krissi3203 » Thu May 03, 2018 3:39 pm

7.37am Friday May 4th

173lb

Good eating everyone!

Love
Krissi
Krissi3203

Postby DonnaKon » Thu May 03, 2018 4:17 pm

I'm very much looking forward to May's Weigh In Thread! I've been a McDougall follower for a couple of years, but getting back to less calorie dense foods as when I first started, I'm hoping to get off the weight plateau I've been on :-) !!
DonnaKon

Postby Jobet » Fri May 04, 2018 4:09 am

Hope Everyone had a good week,

1.7 lbs lost for me.

I had a light bulb moment :idea: last week when I discovered I can now eat bananas without feeling sick and having joint pain. It gave me hope that I might be able to eat other foods I've been so sensitive to and had cut out of my diet over the years. I love oatmeal with blueberries, so yesterday I tried oatmeal again. I did okay with it. I had a little joint pain in my fingers, but not as much as I used to have. I'll try white potatoes again soon, to see how I do with those. I never dreamed this WOE might help me overcome food sensitivities I've lived with for over thirty years! Obviously something inside of me is changing. I couldn't be happier. :-D

My sister has shown interest in this WOE :eek: and is willing to try it for ten days. I wish she had said a month, but I'll take what I can get! Her doctor thinks she has Parkinson's. She has been falling down a lot. She is 68, three years younger than myself. She's on numerous medications, which I can't remember the names at the moment, they seem to change every other week. She asked me yesterday if she started eating the McDougall plan would she have to give up her daily Coke Zero. I honestly didn't have a clue what Coke Zero is, but I knew if it's Coke, it's a no-no. So, I looked it up and found it has Aspartame as an ingredient. The last thing someone who might have Parkinson's needs is Aspartame! I tried Aspartame as a sugar substitute, probably 40 years ago for the first time. It sent me to bed with a migraine that I remember vividly to this day. I didn't connect it to the Aspartame until I had it again another day, with the same result. I haven't touched the stuff since then. Later, I read about the dangers of it, but I already knew from personal experience. Fingers crossed, that my sister discovers the benefits of eating this way within her ten day trial and will continue.
Blessings,

Jobet
Jobet

Postby landog » Fri May 04, 2018 4:29 am

Yay for May!
I'm enjoying the outdoors again!

I hope that you all have a wonderful month of May (my favorite month).

I'm down one pound to 152.

The Blue Jays took 2 out of 3 from the Tribe :(
Hope that you are rooting for them this weekend, Amy, as they head to Yankee stadium for 3 games.
landog

Postby Lonewalker » Fri May 04, 2018 6:10 am

Hitting the ground running with cleaning up my eating and getting more exercise. Down 4 pounds this week.
Lonewalker

Postby moonlight » Fri May 04, 2018 6:52 am

I've lost 3 lbs. this week! The fact that I haven't been to a restaurant all week probably contributed to my weight loss.

Jobet, that is great news about your health improving to the point that food sensitivities may have gone away. Yay, you! Hopefully your sister will get on board. This website and all the links to videos are a wonderful resource.
moonlight

Postby victw » Fri May 04, 2018 8:23 am

Loss of 2.4 for the past week.
Down 4.6 for the past 4 weeks.

Will be splurging a little for pre Cinco de Mayo celebration. But it's kind of planned in on already.
Looking forward to making a big batch of pinto beans tomorrow.

I did watch the cram circuit - thanks. I think the month of may will be about going through and watching all the Doug Lisle webinars. And listening to some of the audio on his site. Knowing what to eat is the easy part. Execution is always a practice.

I successfully lobbied to have the candy jar moved. They agreed and moved it by the end of the day. It will be in a public place that I have to walk by regularly. But public is better than the 4 foot scooch on my roller office chair.

I'm looking forward to an average May. Twice this week I prepped my work food the night before. I've decided that some of the time I'm using watching videos and searching for recipes can be used prepping. So I'm going to make it this weeks goal to have everything prepped the night before - twice.

I am still on that motivated high that makes all of this easier - almost like a virgin McDougaller.

Vic
11/1/19 Sloppy - 137.6/21.55
1/1/19 Still maintaining - 134.8/21.11
10/12/18 Maintenance wt - 136.4 BMI 21.36
5/6/18 151.8 lbs 23.8 - Normal. 4/8/18 154.6 lbs BMI 24.2 - Normal. 3/11/18 161 BMI 25.2 Overweight.
3 years staying on plan is the goal.
victw

Next

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program